PDA

View Full Version : What has been the problem in the last two games?

apalisoc_9
03-07-2017, 04:38 AM
We had to comeback from large deficits just to win close games. I've missed the last three games and i'm kinda curious as to why that's been the case.

BillMc
03-07-2017, 04:46 AM
A tired team that has to outsmart their opponents and gear up to get the energy. No energy from the proverbial 'get go."

Also, and I know I'm speaking sacrilege, but the offense hasn't looked very good with Dedmon out there to start the games. His skills are too limited, and with the narrow playmaking abilities of Green and a shooting slump for LMA, it puts a lot of pressure on Kawhi and Tony to create.

O perks up when Pau or Lee get out there. It also gives more space for LMA. But by then we've been behind. Some games Dedmon is a game-changer, some a liability.

Robz4000
03-07-2017, 04:56 AM
Dead legs and teams making tough shots.

Fireball
03-07-2017, 05:00 AM
no lob city anymore ...

SpursIndonesia
03-07-2017, 09:19 AM
We had to comeback from large deficits just to win close games. I've missed the last three games and i'm kinda curious as to why that's been the case.

The rest of the team sans Kawhi play below the par man, some guys (especially Lee & Manu) has been more helpful than others, but nobody's really giving a consistent help to the Klaw.

Mr. Body
03-07-2017, 09:25 AM
I think Dedmon's appeal may be waning as a starter. Teams have adjusted. But the team does look tired and not in sync. That they're grinding wins out is great, but hopefully they can click more and not get into OT games and have to expend energy to win games late.

james evans
03-07-2017, 09:33 AM
One of the problems is thatwe got a player making $10 million a year to do 2 things, hit open 3s and play defense. And he can't do either of them right now.

sasaint
03-07-2017, 09:43 AM
A tired team that has to outsmart their opponents and gear up to get the energy. No energy from the proverbial 'get go."

Also, and I know I'm speaking sacrilege, but the offense hasn't looked very good with Dedmon out there to start the games. His skills are too limited, and with the narrow playmaking abilities of Green and a shooting slump for LMA, it puts a lot of pressure on Kawhi and Tony to create.

O perks up when Pau or Lee get out there. It also gives more space for LMA. But by then we've been behind. Some games Dedmon is a game-changer, some a liability.

I missed watching the game, and I could only follow play-by-play on another site. But O was not the big problem when the Rockets scored 39 points in the first quarter. Deadman is supposed to deter that. Might as well start Pau for his D!

Chinook
03-07-2017, 09:49 AM
One of the problems is thatwe got a player making $10 million a year to do 2 things, hit open 3s and play defense. And he can't do either of them right now.

Defense hasn't been Green's problem. Him moving over onto Ariza/Anderson pretty much killed the PnP was destroying the Spurs for most of the game. Not that Kawhi didn't have a great defensive game that may be what he needed to start changing the narrative back to him being the DPOY, but Danny earned his plus-minus.

Biggest problem is that the team is coming out of the gates like it's the beginning of the season every game. Guys definitely need some rest.

coachmac87
03-07-2017, 09:51 AM
Lack of energy on the defensive end IMO...

It should start with Green/Dedmon their energy has to be through the roof and contagious but it's been lacking lately. It's a shame because they can really disrupt things but just haven't Bren lately. I think it's because of Pop tbh..he's not hesitant to pull either one if they make ONE mistake. Sooo instead of playing natrually they're thinking too much which leads to shitty play.

I feel Pop is to mostly to blame for the inconsistency tbh. When you rest players as much as he does and put health over playoff seeding etc. you can't expect your players to bring it every night..especially early.

Spurs have been coasting tbh

sasaint
03-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Dead legs and teams making tough shots.

Question: Don't all teams have dead legs at this juncture - especially those players that play more minutes per game than Pop plays his guys?

Chinook
03-07-2017, 10:05 AM
Absolutely hate the timing of most of Pop's TOs nowadays. And I have no idea why it takes him so long to make an adjustment. If you aren't going to post Ryan Anderson up, put a damned small on him like Kyle or Bertans. Lee made it work out by being so awesome, but defensively, the team took way too long to handle that drag screen. It's not like you have to worry about Ryan posting up to get a turn-around long-two.

manufan10
03-07-2017, 10:09 AM
They kept switching on the PnR with Aldridge guarding Harden. That was a nightmare.

Ice009
03-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Question: Don't all teams have dead legs at this juncture - especially those players that play more minutes per game than Pop plays his guys?

Since I don't believe in resting healthy players too much (I think you should do it within a game by limiting their minutes rather than give them the whole game off), I think the other players that play big minutes are better conditioned. Although, having said that, not many of them play both ends of the court, so that could help them in not being as fatigued even though they play bigger minutes.

The only players I was OK with resting was Tim Duncan and Manu, as they had a lot of mileage and wear and tear on their bodies. I really don't think anyone else should have been getting entire games off. I might add Parker to that list now too.

GSH
03-07-2017, 10:22 AM

Sadly, the D hasn't looked as good as we had hoped. But I wouldn't abandon ship just yet. It takes time to work a new guy into a starting lineup. It took time to work LMA in, and Pau. No reason why Dedmon should be instant. We all know that Dedmon can play D, just like we all know that he is limited offensively. Pau actually looks to have benefitted from coming off the bench, IMO.

As for not matching the other team's intensity coming out of the gates? Everybody's gunning for the Spurs, for obvious reasons. They come out with their max effort, and eventually punch themselves out.

Pop always says that "good defense leads to good offense". But the second half of that should be that "bad offense is the same as the other team playing good defense - and it leads to them getting easy looks on the other end." The Spurs' offense has really struggled recently. Some of it is Dedmon, but basically all the starters except Kawhi have struggled. That has led to a lot of gimme points for their opponents. At least that's the way I've seen it. The Spurs have shot themselves in the foot a LOT. I think if the offense gets cleaned up, we'll see a lot less easy points for their opponents on the other end. If nothing else, more makes for the Spurs = fewer opportunities for opponents. And makes force them to inbound the ball, which gives the Spurs' defense more time to get set up.

GSH
03-07-2017, 10:24 AM
They kept switching on the PnR with Aldridge guarding Harden. That was a nightmare.

:tu And that. Aldridge looked like a fucking pylon out there, trying to stay in front of Harden. That was as close as you can get to automatic points.

sasaint
03-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Since I don't believe in resting healthy players too much (I think you should do it within a game by limiting their minutes rather than give them the whole game off), I think the other players that play big minutes are better conditioned. Although, having said that, not many of them play both ends of the court, so that could help them in not being as fatigued even though they play bigger minutes.

The only players I was OK with resting was Tim Duncan and Manu, as they had a lot of mileage and wear and tear on their bodies. I really don't think anyone else should have been getting entire games off. I might add Parker to that list now too.

Nah, I don't buy that. I think limiting minutes can prolong a player's career, and the difference in conditioning between a player who plays 35 minutes a game and a guy who plays 40 minutes a game should be negligible. Even taking an occasional game off over the course of an 82-game regular season should be a nada, replicating a break or two in the normal schedule.

coachmac87
03-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Absolutely hate the timing of most of Pop's TOs nowadays. And I have no idea why it takes him so long to make an adjustment. If you aren't going to post Ryan Anderson up, put a damned small on him like Kyle or Bertans. Lee made it work out by being so awesome, but defensively, the team took way too long to handle that drag screen. It's not like you have to worry about Ryan posting up to get a turn-around long-two.

I really didn't like how he coached last night..they were switching too much and it got Harden going..

GSH
03-07-2017, 10:33 AM
I really didn't like how he coached last night..they were switching too much and it got Harden going..

Once upon a time, the league cracked down on moving screens. They slacked off, and it's gotten out of hand again - across the whole league. Makes it a LOT easier to force a switch. Guys like Harden, who only need a crack of space, benefit the most.

Chinook
03-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Once upon a time, the league cracked down on moving screens. They slacked off, and it's gotten out of hand again - across the whole league. Makes it a LOT easier to force a switch. Guys like Harden, who only need a crack of space, benefit the most.

But they'll be damned if the Spurs get away with another travel again.

james evans
03-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Defense hasn't been Green's problem. Him moving over onto Ariza/Anderson pretty much killed the PnP was destroying the Spurs for most of the game. Not that Kawhi didn't have a great defensive game that may be what he needed to start changing the narrative back to him being the DPOY, but Danny earned his plus-minus.

Biggest problem is that the team is coming out of the gates like it's the beginning of the season every game. Guys definitely need some rest.
did we watch the same game? Green was getting murdered and was more than willing to switch on the picks in stead of trying to fight thru them.

Chinook
03-07-2017, 10:57 AM
did we watch the same game? Green was getting murdered and was more than willing to switch on the picks in stead of trying to fight thru them.

The Spurs have been switching picks this easily every since Messina installed his defense. Obviously, had Pop not wanted them to do it, they would have fixed that really early. "Hey, don't switch" is actually really easy to say and doesn't require a time-out.

What was burning the Spurs on those PnRs is that the bigs weren't pushing Harden off the line. Initially, that was by design, because Harden is a mediocre shooter. But obviously, he shot well last night. However, even after seeing how well Harden was shooting the bigs kept trying to square him up at the arch. Sean diagrammed the correct way for the bigs to play those PnRs, but they probably did it once or twice the whole game.

They did eventually make the adjustment to have the opposite-weak big come over to disrupt the lob as well. That's why the second have had a lot of volley-ball TOs for Houston.

Anyways, I was talking about the PnPs with Anderson and Ariza, not the PnRs. Once the Spurs actually put a wing on Ryan instead of a big, the Rockets just stopped trying to do that.

SAGirl
03-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Missed these games too and will miss a few more until halfway next week as I am on vacation. However there are too many guys slumping in the team recently. Glad Tony decided to shoot some 3s and he made them but that's very atypical.

kawhi has been the MVP, a few others are very erratic offensively

SAGirl
03-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Sadly, the D hasn't looked as good as we had hoped. But I wouldn't abandon ship just yet. It takes time to work a new guy into a starting lineup. It took time to work LMA in, and Pau. No reason why Dedmon should be instant. We all know that Dedmon can play D, just like we all know that he is limited offensively. Pau actually looks to have benefitted from coming off the bench, IMO.

As for not matching the other team's intensity coming out of the gates? Everybody's gunning for the Spurs, for obvious reasons. They come out with their max effort, and eventually punch themselves out.

Pop always says that "good defense leads to good offense". But the second half of that should be that "bad offense is the same as the other team playing good defense - and it leads to them getting easy looks on the other end." The Spurs' offense has really struggled recently. Some of it is Dedmon, but basically all the starters except Kawhi have struggled. That has led to a lot of gimme points for their opponents. At least that's the way I've seen it. The Spurs have shot themselves in the foot a LOT. I think if the offense gets cleaned up, we'll see a lot less easy points for their opponents on the other end. If nothing else, more makes for the Spurs = fewer opportunities for opponents. And makes force them to inbound the ball, which gives the Spurs' defense more time to get set up.
Thanks for sharing. I had seen that b4 and even with OT etc some games, Spurs opponents are not scoring through the roof. OTOH I have noticed they have guys not shooting well and have been erratic on offense outside Kawhi.

sananspursfan21
03-07-2017, 01:38 PM
Isn't this what we beg for every season??? Gritty wins? That was last year's problem. If it was close, our guys lost. I'm loving this. Sure, I'd love to see a little more blowing teams out, but cmon, this is what playoff basketball is going to be about. Stop being spoiled little fans. A team winning these closer games against contenders is exactly what these guys need. Builds chemistry and trust...even if kawhi is the main major weapon

TheGreatYacht
03-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Deadman has been godawful since Gasol has been back. Was the only negative +/- in the starting lineup yesterday. Really hope RC isn't dumb enough to pay such an overrated player

Robz4000
03-07-2017, 03:03 PM

Spurs have played in four close games in less than a week (two of them featuring OT). That's a lot to put on your body, regardless of how good of shape you're in or how used to playing big minutes you are.

sasaint
03-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Spurs have played in four close games in less than a week (two of them featuring OT). That's a lot to put on your body, regardless of how good of shape you're in or how used to playing big minutes you are.

Fair enough. I hope they get their legs under them before the OKC game. The upcoming stretch is brutal.

look_at_g_shred
03-07-2017, 03:27 PM
3 ball not falling imho

Yuixafun
03-07-2017, 03:47 PM
The last 4 mimutes of the game Danny Green was shitting the bed, almost cost us the win sans a super saiyan Klaw. Green is an awful double team valve penatrator... literally I hope he never does it again. Shoot, swing it, or drive dish... but please no half hearted aww I guess I'm going all the way to the rim...oh shit collapsing defense ahhh here take it!

tonight...you
03-07-2017, 03:50 PM
The last 4 mimutes of the game Danny Green was shitting the bed, almost cost us the win sans a super saiyan Klaw. Green is an awful double team valve penatrator... literally I hope he never does it again. Shoot, swing it, or drive dish... but please no half hearted aww I guess I'm going all the way to the rim...oh shit collapsing defense ahhh here take it!

Unless he's shooting an open 3 in rhythm (which even then has been an adventure this year), he's #DannyDisaster.

CGD
03-07-2017, 04:57 PM
It would freakin help if we could get some consistent offensive production from the back court!

Mills -- has been slumping of late; short on his shots; maybe a little dinged up?

Green -- seriously, he's become a disaster on offense; in fact yesterday there were times he should have shot the 3 but instead put it on the floor for some bullshit drive (*cringe*). I get the value he brings on D, but I'm starting to wonder if he doesn't get moved next year if the rest of the back court stays intact.

TP/Manu -- can't blame them for getting older and not having each night.

Simmons -- D is decent but MIA/confidence rattled it seems on offense.

Murray -- too young/out of favor.

TheGreatYacht
03-07-2017, 05:28 PM
Green is shooting 32.8% from three in 2017, and 25% over his last 9 games.

Mostly all are open shots too.....

TD 21
03-07-2017, 05:39 PM
The offense in general has been free falling since Gasol's injury. It's basically back to last season's level, where they labor to score early and find themselves in a sizeable deficit constantly. The way they're winning recently isn't sustainable for any team and if they can't find a way to ramp it back up to where it was earlier in the season, they're more than likely not beating the Rockets in the WCSF.

Chinook
03-07-2017, 06:18 PM
Green also had five assists (tied for the team-high) and no TOs. So it's hard to say he was a disaster dribbling the ball last night.

tonight...you
03-07-2017, 06:30 PM
Green also had five assists (tied for the team-high) and no TOs. So it's hard to say he was a disaster dribbling the ball last night.

Thank Gawd for small favors...

Leetonidas
03-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Just haven't shot well and dedmon has been a fouling machine. Pretty much it imo

SASdynasty!
03-07-2017, 06:51 PM
Probably doesn't help Mills is shooting 3/16 the past two games. Luckily Parker led the comeback you mentioned this past game and went for 19/6/3 on 50%. Good to know Parker picks up the slack when necessary.

ElNono
03-07-2017, 07:18 PM
We suck, tank now

/Darius Bieber

tonight...you
03-07-2017, 07:23 PM
We suck, tank now

/Darius Bieber

And GSH (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=1519)... without so much of the sucking part, but still.

Leetonidas
03-07-2017, 08:44 PM
We suck, tank now

/Darius Bieber

:lol

3 minutes into the game and rockets hit another 3: “that's game.”

GSH
03-07-2017, 09:20 PM
And GSH (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=1519)... without so much of the sucking part, but still.

LOL. You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. I never once said anything about blowing it up. I said they should take one season to rebuild. Even you know the difference between those two things. Right?

I also said that the reason for doing that is that they are weak at the 1 and the 5. So what is 80% of the talk about on this site? Them being weak at the 1 and the 5? So don't make shit up and then blame me for it.

When I'm wrong, I admit it. You should give it a fucking try yourself. You wouldn't spend so much time in those little temper tantrum arguments with... everyone.

tonight...you
03-07-2017, 09:22 PM
LOL. You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. I never once said anything about blowing it up. I said they should take one season to rebuild. Even you know the difference between those two things. Right?

I also said that the reason for doing that is that they are weak at the 1 and the 5. So what is 80% of the talk about on this site? Them being weak at the 1 and the 5? So don't make shit up and then blame me for it.

When I'm wrong, I admit it. You should give it a fucking try yourself. You wouldn't spend so much time in those little temper tantrum arguments with... everyone.
Neither did I, about you.
You need to get a grip.

I already admitted my wrongness just today to someone, my man. You should not talk out of your ass so much.

Such sensitive babies around here!

GSH
03-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Patty is an extreme liability on D. He HAS to perform on O, or he's a massive negative for the team.
What does he do, when he's not hitting shots?

He makes a few hustle plays?
Yay.

He gives up tons of points in the interim, unless he's hitting.

He's not hitting... he's useless, other than his gravity, which is actually more useful than current Parker.

The PG situation is so sad right now... I'm praying for Murray to make a huge leap next year.

BTW, asshat, I already agreed that Dedmon's improvement from preseason has beefed up the C position. And you're a LOT more negative about the PG situation than I ever was. All I said was that I didn't think Parker/Mills were enough to win a Championship. And without Dedmon's improvement, and Kawhi stepping up to another level, I still think that was true.

I don't know why you're red-assed at me, and I don't really give a shit. Just don't try to put words in my mouth.

GSH
03-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Neither did I, about you.
You need to get a grip.

I already admitted my wrongness just today to someone, my man. You should not talk out of your ass so much.

Such sensitive babies around here!

Fuck your get a grip.

tonight...you
03-07-2017, 09:32 PM
Fuck your get a grip.

No worries bud. I'll stop stressing you.

rastaspur
03-07-2017, 09:36 PM
Fuck your get a grip.

Y'all hug it out. Be irie and not awnry.

tonight...you
03-07-2017, 09:38 PM
One Love

rastaspur
03-07-2017, 09:38 PM

Y'all need to share a peace pipe

tonight...you
03-07-2017, 09:40 PM
Y'all need to share a peace pipe
Hence me stopping stress, my bud...
I never meant any harm, anyways... He called for a mini-tank months ago and I poked him, right now.

No worries.

rastaspur
03-07-2017, 09:43 PM
Mini tanks... I've been gone a while. Missed round 1 I guess.

Just being peacemaker.. not trying to mettle... no worries

tonight...you
03-07-2017, 09:48 PM
Mini tanks... I've been gone a while. Missed round 1 I guess.

Just being peacemaker.. not trying to mettle... no worries

You my brother, in beautiful Austin...
I may, one day, move back, but there are certain things in New Mexico that keep me here, legally. But... I'm pretty much in El Paso, so I'm still kind of in TX, lol...
Texas is about 1 mile away from my house.

GSH
03-07-2017, 09:59 PM

It's an easy formula, Chief. Don't make shit up, and say that I said it. When you do, just say you fucked up, and remembered the wrong person or something, instead of deflecting. I never said anything about blowing the team up. You know it, so now you want to move the goal post. That's a fucking weasel move.

Oh, I'm done anyway, but thanks. There was no "round 1". I don't know what bug he got up his ass. If anything, I've been nice to him on nights when he was twisting. I wouldn't sit around and argue with him any more than I would try to argue with my dog. Pointless. I corrected the dumb shit statement, after giving him a chance to correct himself. He'll go find someone else to argue with, I'm sure.

tonight...you
03-07-2017, 10:02 PM
It's an easy formula, Chief. Don't make shit up, and say that I said it. When you do, just say you fucked up, and remembered the wrong person or something, instead of deflecting. I never said anything about blowing the team up. You know it, so now you want to move the goal post. That's a fucking weasel move.

Quote me saying you said that.

Oh, I'm done anyway, but thanks. There was no "round 1". I don't know what bug he got up his ass. If anything, I've been nice to him on nights when he was twisting. I wouldn't sit around and argue with him any more than I would try to argue with my dog. Pointless. I corrected the dumb shit statement, after giving him a chance to correct himself. He'll go find someone else to argue with, I'm sure.

tonight...you
03-07-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote me saying you said that.