PDA

View Full Version : Trump Fraud trial about to blow open again

RandomGuy
03-07-2017, 05:07 PM
Basically a lot of people are still pissed about all the money that Trump stole from them, then offered pennies on the dollar for.

They are going to drop out of the class action, and the legal reasoning seems to hold water from the analysis that I read.

"Trump Fraud" is going to be like "peas and carrots".

Trump University Lawsuits May Not Be Closed After All

President Trump’s postelection agreement to pay $25 million appeared to settle the fraud claims arising from his defunct for-profit education venture, Trump University. But a former student is now asking to opt out of the settlement, a move that, if permitted, could put the deal in jeopardy.

Lawyers for the student, Sherri Simpson of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Monday asked a federal judge in San Diego to reject the settlement unless former students are given an opportunity to be excluded from the deal so they can sue Mr. Trump individually.

If the judge, Gonzalo Curiel, decides that Ms. Simpson and potentially others should have that chance, legal experts say it could disrupt the settlement because Mr. Trump and his lawyers saw the deal as a way to resolve all of the claims, once and for all, to avoid a trial and distractions to his presidency.

“If even one person could opt out of the settlement and force a trial, that might, in fact, crater the deal,” said Shaun Martin, a professor at the University of San Diego School of Law. “I’m sure Judge Curiel will be aware of that.”

The agreement, announced in November, appeared to resolve years of hotly contested litigation, including two federal class-action cases in San Diego and a separate suit by Eric T. Schneiderman, the New York attorney general. Students maintained that they were cheated out of tuition through high-pressure sales tactics and misleading claims about what they would learn. At one point during the contentious case, Mr. Trump questioned Judge Curiel’s impartiality based on his Mexican heritage.

Mr. Trump, who has rejected the claims and did not acknowledge fault in the settlement, posted on Twitter after the settlement announcement that he “did not have the time to go through a long but winning trial on Trump U.”

Patrick Coughlin, a lawyer representing the class-action plaintiffs, said that it was a “terrific settlement” and that the objection seemed “politically motivated.” He said he feared that the objection could result in delays for students who have waited years to get money back. “She could have excluded herself before and pursued her own litigation,” he said. “That time passed.”

Lawyers for Mr. Trump did not respond to messages seeking comment.

Monday is the deadline for students to file claims to participate in the settlement, or object to it — as in the case of Ms. Simpson.

First Draft
Every weekday, get political news and analysis from the staff of The New York Times.

Enter your email address

Receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services.

SEE SAMPLE PRIVACY POLICY
Her lawyers argue that a notice sent to students about the class-action lawsuits in 2015 left the impression that they could later request to be excluded from a settlement, but that opportunity was not afforded to them in the agreement.

“There was precious little reason to exercise the right to opt out at that juncture” in 2015, wrote one of Ms. Simpson’s lawyers, Gary Friedman of New York, in the objection filed on Monday. “The case was barreling toward trial, by all accounts.”

Carl Tobias, a professor at the University of Richmond School of Law, said that Judge Curiel would probably give the objection serious consideration, but that he would have to weigh it against “substantial pressure to hold the deal together.”

“A lot of work has gone into this, and people are generally satisfied all around,” Mr. Tobias said.

Plaintiffs’ lawyers have said that they would waive their fees and that they expected roughly 7,000 former students to recover half to all of what they spent on courses.

If they are allowed, it is not clear how many former students may seek to opt out.

In 2010, Ms. Simpson — a lawyer who spoke out about her Trump University experience during last year’s campaign — paid $1,495 for a three-day seminar, in which she said instructors pressured her to sign up for the $35,000 “Gold Elite” program under the premise that she would have access to the “resources of Mr. Trump and his real estate organization,” she wrote in a sworn statement. She split the fee with another student, spending about $19,000 in total, Mr. Friedman said.

But she soon grew dissatisfied when promises went unfulfilled. She wrote, “The Gold Elite program was a scam.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/autossell/trump-university-class-action-lawsuit-settlement.html?_r=0

baseline bum
03-07-2017, 05:14 PM
I can't understand why any of the plaintiffs wanted to settle once he won the election. They had Dear Leader over a barrel, which is why he quickly agreed to bury the story.

Chris
03-07-2017, 05:14 PM
So Trump actually stole from them; like literally got into their wallets and bank accounts?

spurraider21
03-07-2017, 05:17 PM
I doubt the judge will allow the class action deal to be cancelled

boutons_deux
03-07-2017, 05:18 PM
So Trump actually stole from them; like literally got into their wallets and bank accounts?

advertized a product, took their money, then didn't deliver the product. Commercial fraud.

did students sign some kind of contract or purchase agreement? most likely

Trash U was just another failed grifter project to get cash when Trash was/is bankrupt. Russians lent him $100Ms to float his ass when US banks shut him down.

Blake
03-07-2017, 05:20 PM

You literally don't know what fraud is?

Chris
03-07-2017, 05:21 PM
You literally don't know what fraud is?

I was referring to the first sentence in the OP.

Blake
03-07-2017, 05:28 PM
I was referring to the first sentence in the OP.

The semantics here are really that important to you?

Trump nut huggers are so loyal. Trump loves you too.

spurraider21
03-07-2017, 05:34 PM

Trump did say he loved the uneducated

AaronY
03-07-2017, 05:41 PM
The stories are pretty heartbraking..basically sucked his most gullible rube fans dry it's almost like he's a piece of shit or something

Chris
03-07-2017, 06:12 PM

Federal income tax = scam
Car insurance = scam
Obamacare/forced health care coverage = scam
Federal Reserve the creature from Jekyll island = scam
Trump taking money from lolAmericans = not a scam

FuzzyLumpkins
03-07-2017, 06:49 PM
Federal income tax = scam
Car insurance = scam
Obamacare/forced health care coverage = scam
Federal Reserve the creature from Jekyll island = scam

This is pretty stupid.

Trump is settling in a civil trial where he was accused of fraud. It is what it is for all your braindead attempts at equivalence and comparison.

Chris
03-07-2017, 06:54 PM
This is pretty stupid.

Trump is settling in a civil trial where he was accused of fraud. It is what it is for all your braindead attempts at equivalence and comparison.

Clearly he's guilty then according to you. He's acknowledged he's settling because he doesn't have time to go through a long trial and win. Did you read the article or just assume guilt because of partisanship?

CosmicCowboy
03-07-2017, 07:28 PM
advertized a product, took their money, then didn't deliver the product. Commercial fraud.

Can a student that flunks out of Harvard sue because Harvard didn't educate them as advertised?

monosylab1k
03-07-2017, 07:36 PM
He's acknowledged he's settling because he doesn't have time to go through a long trial and win.

:lmao Yeah, sure. That's why Kobe settled, too.

Blake
03-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Can a student that flunks out of Harvard sue because Harvard didn't educate them as advertised?

Yes, Trump U = Harvard

Blake
03-07-2017, 07:40 PM

Slurp

CosmicCowboy
03-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Yes, Trump U = Harvard

They both offer an education that doesn't necessarily educate everyone that attends.

Blake
03-07-2017, 07:44 PM
They both offer an education that doesn't necessarily educate everyone that attends.

Gosh I wonder why Trump lawyer didn't think of that

CosmicCowboy
03-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Gosh I wonder why Trump lawyer didn't think of that

It's a valid legal argument dumbass and probably would have prevailed. If you can't figure out why he settled after he was elected you are even dumber than I thought,.

baseline bum
03-07-2017, 08:00 PM
It's a valid legal argument dumbass and probably would have prevailed. If you can't figure out why he settled after he was elected you are even dumber than I thought,.

So he could sweep another scandal under the rug? Get it off the news?

CosmicCowboy
03-07-2017, 08:09 PM
So he could sweep another scandal under the rug? Get it off the news?

Of course. It was worth 25 million to a billionaire to make it go away and not have it as a media distraction.

Blake
03-07-2017, 08:12 PM
Of course. It was worth 25 million to a billionaire to make it go away and not have it as a media distraction.

You answered for me

SnakeBoy
03-07-2017, 08:25 PM
Her lawyers argue that a notice sent to students about the class-action lawsuits in 2015 left the impression that they could later request to be excluded from a settlement, but that opportunity was not afforded to them in the agreement.

Awww she got scammed again :lol

CosmicCowboy
03-07-2017, 08:26 PM
You answered for me

I'm glad we didn't have to read endless testimony from cucks like you going "wa wa wa, I signed up thinking I was going to be a billionaire real estate magnate after I graduated and I'm still a brokedick! Wa wa wa!"

clambake
03-07-2017, 08:34 PM
their contention is that he's a lifelong grifter.

of course they want to run with it.

baseline bum
03-07-2017, 08:37 PM
I'm glad we didn't have to read endless testimony from cucks like you going "wa wa wa, I signed up thinking I was going to be a billionaire real estate magnate after I graduated and I'm still a brokedick! Wa wa wa!"

His faculty was sold as experts Trump handpicked himself when his testimony indicated he didn't know who any of them were. Trump is a con man and always has been.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Clearly he's guilty then according to you. He's acknowledged he's settling because he doesn't have time to go through a long trial and win. Did you read the article or just assume guilt because of partisanship?

We are talking about a disciple of Roy Cohn whose method was to never settle and always attack.

I have read extensively the issue and he had already agreed to a settlement. You are obviously poorly informed on this issue.

Blake
03-07-2017, 09:30 PM
CC ass talking again.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-07-2017, 09:37 PM
It was not even an accredited school. Its why the company was forced to drop University from their name. People comparing it to the top accredited schools like Harvard goes to show how deluded board conservatives are on this issue.

We are all familiar with Trump's penchant for making promises and not following through on them. When you do that and take money from people then you open yourself up to fraud liability.

CosmicCowboy
03-07-2017, 10:50 PM
It was not even an accredited school. Its why the company was forced to drop University from their name. People comparing it to the top accredited schools like Harvard goes to show how deluded board conservatives are on this issue.

We are all familiar with Trump's penchant for making promises and not following through on them. When you do that and take money from people then you open yourself up to fraud liability.

The point was not Trump U = Harvard dumbass.

The point was that information can be provided but success is not guaranteed.

Honestly I would have never in a million years wasted money on a Trump U or ITT Tech for that matter but there were probably a few that learned something and benefited from it.

The fact that there were also a lot that didn't isn't automatic proof it wasn't any good just like $200,000 in debt unemployed humanities graduates from UT don't automatically mean UT sucks.

AaronY
03-07-2017, 11:01 PM
Cosmic Cowboy obviously has not read anything at all about what went on at Trump U lol

Even conservatives sites state thst it was a massive scam
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/432010/trump-university-scam
http://www.dailywire.com/news/6222/7-things-you-need-know-about-trump-university-aaron-bandler
http://www.redstate.com/sweetie15/2016/11/18/make-go-away-trump-settle-trump-university-fraud-case/

monosylab1k
03-07-2017, 11:13 PM
Cosmic Cowboy obviously has not read anything at all about what went on at Trump U lol

Even conservatives sites state thst it was a massive scam
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/432010/trump-university-scam
http://www.dailywire.com/news/6222/7-things-you-need-know-about-trump-university-aaron-bandler
http://www.redstate.com/sweetie15/2016/11/18/make-go-away-trump-settle-trump-university-fraud-case/

I'm sure some justification about how Harvard scams their students too is coming.

monosylab1k
03-07-2017, 11:14 PM
Some conservative blowhard will uncover some story about a little known Obama University. ":cry Obama did it too :cry"

CosmicCowboy
03-07-2017, 11:21 PM
:lol I'm not defending trump u. I'm making the point that it was a lot harder legal hurdle to go to court and win than you guys want to admit. These people went back to seminars time after time after time. They obviously thought they were getting something out of it at the time. Their own lawyer said the 25 million was a great settlement given the facts of the case.

ElNono
03-07-2017, 11:28 PM
:lol I'm not defending trump u. I'm making the point that it was a lot harder legal hurdle to go to court and win than you guys want to admit. These people went back to seminars time after time after time. They obviously thought they were getting something out of it at the time. Their own lawyer said the 25 million was a great settlement given the facts of the case.

Settlement works too because they don't have to admit to wrongdoing, plus they can place a gag order as part of the settlement.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-07-2017, 11:55 PM
The point was not Trump U = Harvard dumbass.

The point was that information can be provided but success is not guaranteed.

Honestly I would have never in a million years wasted money on a Trump U or ITT Tech for that matter but there were probably a few that learned something and benefited from it.

The fact that there were also a lot that didn't isn't automatic proof it wasn't any good just like $200,000 in debt unemployed humanities graduates from UT don't automatically mean UT sucks.

You don't even understand what the fraud argument is. Comparing Trump's "school" with actual accredited schools just goes to show how uniformed you are.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-07-2017, 11:58 PM

You don't get to speak for what they thought.

And how is making arguments to mitigate Trump U's liability not defending Trump U?

This is like you blaming Sandusky's victims and claiming that you are not defending Sandusky. You are either stupid, disingenuous, or both.

RandomGuy
03-08-2017, 01:30 PM

The arguments that are being talked about hint at collusion with the defendant's lawyers. Need to find the legal analysis I read somewhere else for that, and try to post it here

CosmicCowboy
03-08-2017, 06:05 PM
The arguments that are being talked about hint at collusion with the defendant's lawyers. Need to find the legal analysis I read somewhere else for that, and try to post it here

That's what a settlement is. Nobody ever gets everything they want unless they risk going to court and getting nothing.

Blake
03-08-2017, 06:07 PM
That's what a settlement is. Nobody ever gets everything they want unless they risk going to court and getting nothing.

Wow you must teach law in realz life or something

SnakeBoy
04-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Basically a lot of people are still pissed about all the money that Trump stole from them, then offered pennies on the dollar for.

They are going to drop out of the class action, and the legal reasoning seems to hold water from the analysis that I read.

"Trump Fraud" is going to be like "peas and carrots".

Poor RandomGuy

Blake
04-03-2017, 08:36 AM
RandomGuy wasn't one of the ones flim flammed by your president