PDA

View Full Version : MVPau and Manu on Kawhi

100%duncan
03-08-2017, 03:37 AM
"I hope [the voters] understand," said teammate Pau Gasol. "I hope they see. It's not hard to see if you really watch. I think he's very much deserving of getting the MVP this season. The way he's playing, the way he's contributing on both ends of the floor. He's not the guy that just puts up 30 points and that's it. He makes huge plays defensively. So, to me, he's my MVP."

"I think it's a combination of things," said veteran Manu Ginobili. "He's very confident now and you can see it. Before, he was more introverted and waiting for things to happen. Then, he started to realize the type of talent he has and how important he is for the team. And, he knows he's going to have the ball. So, he's even trusting more teammates, waiting a couple plays and knowing we're going to play for him. That's something your confidence gives you.

"So, he's at that point he knows he owns the team; that we need him to do what he's doing to win, or to have a chance; and that puts you in a great mental spot."

Latinos gotta stick together :hat

NameLess Scrub
03-08-2017, 06:52 AM
I'm glad they're standing up for him.

They're campaigning though, which reminds me of the constant warriors campaign for draymond to win DPOY.

But at least Kawhi's actually deserving :lol

Chinook
03-08-2017, 07:03 AM
Pau's not Latino. On the other hand, it if were Manu and LJC...

will_spurs
03-08-2017, 07:58 AM
I've been here watching him throughout the years blossom and grow, which has been kind of fun for me and interesting," Green said. "Each year, he's always come back with something new, something better, and he's always gotten better. He's worked on his game. He has more poise and is better at decision making. You can tell he wants to be one of the greats in this game, and he works at it."

It's been good to watch, because he's taken the necessary steps to be able to get to where he is today. He didn't jump any steps," Patty Mills (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4004/patty-mills) said. "He went through the route in terms of learning from Timmy, learning from Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili and understanding what it takes to be able to be who he is now. He really learned and evolved into the player he is by doing all the little things, understanding what this culture is all about, understanding who he is as well in trying to work all that in together. "So it's been good to watch, because he's deserved it. He really has. He's understanding what his expectations are from the coaching staff and from the whole organization, and he's just been a professional about it. He's fallen into that category of no hurrah like Timmy, and has just gone about business day in and day out. I wasn't here at the beginning years of Timmy, but I've heard the stories about him just getting up every night for a game and producing. Well, that's what Kawhi has been doing this year. In that sense, it's really impressive to watch."

Having been involved in San Antonio's continuous passing of the torch since the age of 19, Parker, now 34, is fine with Leonard now carrying the load. Such is the circle of life in San Antonio. "I love it," Parker said. "I think the evolution of anybody's career is as you get older, you have to adjust to who are the main guys on your team and try to be a factor just like Manu did, just like Timmy did. I just try and do the same thing."

Solid D
03-08-2017, 08:17 AM
I'm glad they're standing up for him.

They're campaigning though, which reminds me of the constant warriors campaign for draymond to win DPOY.

But at least Kawhi's actually deserving :lol

I think they are just responding to questions from the media.

Play Boban
03-08-2017, 08:26 AM
:lol Parker's passive aggressive response to the question. :lol He's so salty about no longer being the head of the snake.

dabom
03-08-2017, 08:34 AM
:lol Parker's passive aggressive response to the question. :lol He's so salty about no longer being the head of the snake.

Dude is a fuck. :lol

mingus
03-08-2017, 09:06 AM

Yeah you get the sense that he'd rather emphasize his age than the better skills & maturation that that led to Kawhi's emergence & Parker's lesser role. Like, we get it, Tony, you've humbly stepped off your thrown & given the crown to Kawhi like the legendary, mythical, heroic human basketball god that you are. You're grave, as if it weren't clear before, is now definitely going to be right next to Timmy's & Manu's when all is said & done in the Spurs cemetery.. If you hadn't mentioned your sacrifice we'd have put your grave next to Hedo Turkopoo's. :lol

Old School 44
03-08-2017, 09:42 AM
I've been here watching him throughout the years blossom and grow, which has been kind of fun for me and interesting," Green said. "Each year, he's always come back with something new, something better, and he's always gotten better. He's worked on his game. He has more poise and is better at decision making. You can tell he wants to be one of the greats in this game, and he works at it."

When I saw this quote from Danny Green, my first thought was how come this couldn't apply to you?

NameLess Scrub
03-08-2017, 10:01 AM
I think they are just responding to questions from the media.

Well good point.

still.focused
03-08-2017, 10:11 AM
LOL @ Tony

kaji157
03-08-2017, 10:48 AM
LOL at Tony still trying to adjust to the reality that he is no longer a top two offensive option.
It had already taken him two years and counting.
Wake the fuck up.

BatManu20
03-08-2017, 10:52 AM
You guys are reaching on Tony's comment tbh.

TheGreatYacht
03-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Guess the fatasses got tired of only reaching for churros

kaji157
03-08-2017, 11:19 AM

May be. But it's pretty clear that he is the one having the most trouble getting out of the way of Kawhi.
If he can find a few more spots to shoot the three he will have a successful transition anyways.

BatManu20
03-08-2017, 11:24 AM

BatManu20
03-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Will likely rest some guys though.

100%duncan
03-08-2017, 11:27 AM

:lol

Brazil
03-08-2017, 11:42 AM
:lol the level of reach of parker haters is an all time high...

BatManu20
03-08-2017, 12:06 PM

dabom
03-08-2017, 12:07 PM
:lol the level of reach of parker haters is an all time high...

Just wait to the annual playoffs. :lol

Canyonero
03-08-2017, 12:08 PM

Technically he's latino too.

BatManu20
03-08-2017, 12:13 PM

will_spurs
03-08-2017, 12:18 PM

I threw that quote out there just to see how some posters would manage to spin a direct "I love that this is now Kawhi's team" comment.

Chinook
03-08-2017, 12:25 PM

Livio is, but not Pau. Spain is not part of Latin America, mainly because it's not part of the Americas.

will_spurs
03-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Livio is, but not Pau. Spain is not part of Latin America, mainly because it's not part of the Americas.

Let's just say Hispanic for Manu/Pau and we're good...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic%E2%80%93Latino_naming_dispute

Spur|n|Austin
03-08-2017, 12:33 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/2fs2I4ujlBf20/giphy-downsized-large.gif

DAF86
03-08-2017, 12:38 PM

Yes, he is. Spain is a Latin country.

Chinook
03-08-2017, 12:40 PM

That's not what Latino means. It literally means Latin American, latinoamericano.

DAF86
03-08-2017, 12:47 PM

Dude, if you are going to make an ignorant comment at least learn from the people that correct you instead of trying to keep pretending to be right, tbh.

Spain is a Latin country just as Italy, France, Portugal and some others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance-speaking_Europe

You can't even pull the "Latino is an US way of describing Latin-american people" card ´cause fucking Spaniards speak Spanish and if you ask them if they are "Latinos" or not, they will say they are.

Chinook
03-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Dude, if you are going to make an ignorant comment at least learn from the people that correct you instead of trying to keep pretending to be right, tbh.

No one's ignorant here but you coming to a US board telling people what an English word means. Get over yourself. No one has a hard time knowing which countries were part of the Roman Empire. But Latino is not "from a country of Latin origin". That's what the word "Romantic". Hence why "latino" isn't in your fucking link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latino

"Well, well, in Portugal, 'latino' mean Latin". Who gives a shit what they say over there? If we were speaking Portuguese you'd have a point.

DAF86
That's not what Latino means. It literally means Latin American, latinoamericano.

You can't even pull the "Latino is an US way of describing Latin-american people" card ´cause fucking Spaniards speak Spanish and if you ask them if they are "Latinos" or not, they will say they are.

I don't give a fuck what Staters mean when they say "Latino", I care what Latino actually means. You people call your country America when the actual name is "United States of America".

Go tell Pau he's not a "Latino", he will laugh at your ignorant egocentric US face, tbh.

benefactor
The French are Latino?

Ok.

Chinook
03-08-2017, 12:54 PM
The French are Latino?

Ok.

Nah, but French-speaking nations in this hemisphere are usually considered Latino. LJC is from South America.

Chinook
03-08-2017, 12:56 PM
I don't give a fuck what Staters mean when they say "Latino", I care what Latino actually means. You people call your country America when the actual name is "United States of America".

Yes, and go fuck yourself. I don't go to Spanish boards telling them how many Americas there are. You want to believe there's one (yet that Europe and Asia are different continents for some reason), you go ahead and do so. Mexico calls itself Mexico despite being the United States of Mexico, but whose ass is complaining about that?

apalisoc_9
03-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Yeah Latin doesnt mean Latin America...not the first time I heard that description though, specifically from Americans.

TheGreatYacht
03-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Yes, and go fuck yourself. I don't go to Spanish boards telling them how many Americas there are. You want to believe there's one (yet that Europe and Asia are different continents for some reason), you go ahead and do so. Mexico calls itself Mexico despite being the United States of Mexico, but whose ass is complaining about that?
:wow

Chinook
03-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Yeah Latin doesnt mean Latin America...not the first time I heard that description though, specifically from Americans.

It doesn't. But Latino is a shortened version of latinoamericano, whether people want to say it means something else in Europe or not.

DAF86
03-08-2017, 01:00 PM
The French are Latino?

Ok.

Yes, now you know it, tbh.

apalisoc_9
03-08-2017, 01:00 PM
From a Spanish guy standpoint, he is Latino.

Strange people calling this site an "american" site. Spurstalk isnt america :lol

I always assumed peoplr worked on real definition here.

Saying Spain isnt "Latino" is like saying Afghanis are middle easterners which is a common mistake you hear from Americans.

100%duncan
03-08-2017, 01:05 PM
Hey faggots, I just add latino to mix shit up. Chill smh

spurraider21
03-08-2017, 01:06 PM
Latino has a specific meaning in America. It might mean something else in Spain. You both might be correct but this is an American Board where American meanings control

DAF86
03-08-2017, 01:10 PM

You don't really want to go there. When the Spaniards named the new continent they called it "America" in it was in reference to the whole fucking thing. The division of the "Americas" is an US invention to don't get mix up with the nickname they came up with to substitute the stupid long ass name they gave their country, tbh. Down here, and in many other places of the World, America is taught as 1 continent.

Canyonero
03-08-2017, 01:11 PM
Hey faggots, I just add latino to mix shit up. Chill smh

Fucking latino.

Chinook
03-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Latino has a specific meaning in America. It might mean something else in Spain. You both might be correct but this is an American Board where American meanings control

It's just a language thing. Latino and latino are false cognates in a similar way that much and mucho are. They sound the same, and might be interchangeable in a lot of situations, but they aren't actually the same. Americans took the Spanish term for Latin American and shortened it come up with an English word.

Chinook
03-08-2017, 01:21 PM
You don't really want to go there. When the Spaniards named the new continent they called it "America" in it was in reference to the whole fucking thing.

Yes, we all know that. And they named it without even knowing what it really looked like. By any definition that could separate Europe, Asia and Africa into separate continents, we should have two Americas. But if you want to believe differently, I don't care.

The division of the "Americas" is an US invention to don't get mix up with the nickname they came up with to substitute the stupid long ass name they gave their country, tbh.

I mean, it's also because in both languages, there are distinct "Americas" English has two, and Spanish has three. You guys just call them regions of the same continent. The dual-continent idea is not a US thing. As far as I've heard, most of non-Spanish speaking Europe is taught the two continents.

Down here, and in many other places of the World, America is taught as 1 continent.

Yes, again we all know that. Americans do learn what other people are told, even if we often just disregard it and keep on keeping on. I've never told any Spanish-speaker that they needed to accept the two Americas. But lord if I can't even read an article about it without comments trying to "educate" Americans on how it's "supposed to be".

Spursfanfromafar
03-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Useful to understand diff between Latinos and Hispanics http://www.vox.com/2015/8/19/9173457/hispanic-latino-comic

DAF86
03-08-2017, 01:23 PM

That's like telling an Hispanic guy named David that he is called /ˈdeɪvɪd/ instead of da-veed just 'cause he is in the US, tbh.

Chinook
03-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Useful to understand diff between Latinos and Hispanics http://www.vox.com/2015/8/19/9173457/hispanic-latino-comic

I like this video as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBt5rMD2aDc

spurraider21
03-08-2017, 01:26 PM
That's like telling an Hispanic guy named David that he is called /ˈdeɪvɪd/ instead of da-veed just 'cause he is in the US, tbh.It's more like telling a brit he can't walk around the US asking for fags

It's not a pronunciation issue

DAF86
03-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Yes, we all know that. And they named it without even knowing what it really looked like. By any definition that could separate Europe, Asia and Africa into separate continents, we should have two Americas. But if you want to believe differently, I don't care.

I mean, it's also because in both languages, there are distinct "Americas" English has two, and Spanish has three. You guys just call them regions of the same continent. The dual-continent idea is not a US thing. As far as I've heard, most of non-Spanish speaking Europe is taught the two continents.

Yes, again we all know that. Americans do learn what other people are told, even if we often just disregard it and keep on keeping on. I've never told any Spanish-speaker that they needed to accept the two Americas. But lord if I can't even read an article about it without comments trying to "educate" Americans on how it's "supposed to be".

It's ok son, I don't give a fuck how anyone divides the continent, tbh. I just get hot-headed when this whole "Latino" thing comes up. I know that's just how you use the word in the US, but I can't help but feel that it comes from ignorance, tbh.

Imagine a Spaniard living in the US talking to a friend saying "well, I'm Latino so..." and the friend stops him with "no, you are not Latino. You are from Spain", wouldn't you feel a little bothered by it?

Imagine benefactor hearing from Tony Parker that he's "Latino", his head would explode. :lol

kuato
03-08-2017, 01:33 PM

Dude, you don't know what the word latino means

Chinook
03-08-2017, 01:34 PM
Dude, you don't know what the word latino means

Yes, we just went through this. It's not a Spanish word, so someone trying to claim what it means in Spanish is off-base.

will_spurs
03-08-2017, 01:35 PM
It's just a language thing. Latino and latino are false cognates in a similar way that much and mucho are. They sound the same, and might be interchangeable in a lot of situations, but they aren't actually the same. Americans took the Spanish term for Latin American and shortened it come up with an English word.

Interestingly the whole concept of "Latin America" comes from... the French (of all people).

DAF86
03-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Yes, we just went through this. It's not a Spanish word, so someone trying to claim what it means in Spanish is off-base.

Actually, it is. "Latino" is Spanish for "Latin".

Chinook
03-08-2017, 01:40 PM
It's ok son, I don't give a fuck how anyone divides the continent, tbh. I just get hot-headed when this whole "Latino" thing comes up. I know that's just how you use the word in the US, but I can't help but feel that it comes from ignorance, tbh.

But it doesn't. As I said, Latino and latino are two separate words. They are spelled the same and pronounced mostly the same, but they don't mean the same thing.

Imagine a Spaniard living in the US talking to a friend saying "well, I'm Latino so..." and the friend stops him with "no, you are not Latino. You are from Spain", wouldn't you feel a little bother by it?

Depends. I mean, it would feel the guy correcting would be a douche unless doing it tongue-in-cheek. But they aren't wrong. The Spaniard that doesn't know the English convention is wrong. Just like if an English-speaking woman said, "I got so, embarasada after my father caught me standing naked in the kitchen." False cognates can be a bitch.

Imagine benefactor hearing from Tony Parker that he's "Latino", his head would explode.

Well, unless he was giving a Spanish interview, I can't imagine Tony would say that.

dabom
03-08-2017, 01:40 PM
It's like British people telling Mexicans they are part of central America. :lol

dabom
03-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Even though they are clearly north American.

Chinook
03-08-2017, 01:42 PM
Actually, it is. "Latino" is Spanish for "Latin".

latino is

Latino is not.

Again, it's extremely annoying to have to deal with this pair of words. But the good thing is that they can mostly be used interchangeably

kuato
03-08-2017, 01:43 PM

U.S.A. people tends to abreviate words so... the world latino for U.S.A. citizens means "from latin America" , but that is not the correct way to use that word. I understand why they use it like that but it is not correct.

Chinook
03-08-2017, 01:46 PM
U.S.A. people tends to abreviate words so... the world latino for U.S.A. citizens means "from latin America" , but that is not the correct way to use that word. I understand why they use it like that but it is not correct.

It's correct because they say it's correct. That's how language works. We took a Spanish word, shortened it and made a new word. In the same way, Spanish speakers took two English words ("state" and "united"), combined them and made a new word to call what English-speaking people call "Americans."

There's no right or wrong with language. Not really. There's just accepted and not accepted.

kuato
03-08-2017, 01:46 PM
It's like British people telling Mexicans they are part of central America. :lol

WEll. I've read a lot of post saying that Mexico was not part of North America :P

kuato
03-08-2017, 01:47 PM
It's correct because they say it's correct. That's how language works. We took a Spanish word, shortened it and made a new word. In the same way, Spanish speakers took two English words ("state" and "united"), combined them and made a new word to call what English-speaking people call "Americans."

There's no right or wrong with language. Not really. There's just accepted and not accepted.

Cool, but the word latino was used in Spain first

Chinook
03-08-2017, 01:48 PM
WEll. I've read a lot of post saying that Mexico was not part of North America :P

You know who REALLY pushes that? Mexico. Apparently, norteamericano is a pretty common term for people from the US down there.

DAF86
03-08-2017, 01:48 PM
latino is

Latino is not.

Again, it's extremely annoying to have to deal with this pair of words. But the good thing is that they can mostly be used interchangeably

Sorry, but Latino is a Spanish word. That's where you took it from. You saying "Latino" is not a Spanish word is like saying "taco" is not a SPanish word, or me saying "mouse" is not an English word. Languages take words from other languages all the time, sometimes to refer to the same thing, sometimes to refer to different things, but that doesn't mean that the origin of a word is from different places, tbh.

Chinook
03-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Cool, but the word latino was used in Spain first

Yeah, and as far as I know, no one's made them change it. And the US came up with an English word that just happens to closely resemble what it is in Spain.

MR-Clutch
03-08-2017, 01:49 PM

This.

Chinook
03-08-2017, 01:52 PM
Sorry, but Latino is a Spanish word. That's where you took it from.

Nope. Did you not read the link? We took the Spanish word for a French concept and shortened it into an English word. There wasn't a "They call themselves Latinos? Brilliant. Johnson, get to work on putting that in the dictionary." It was, "They call themselves latinoamericanos? Too long. Johnson, get work putting "Latino" in the dictionary."

Chinook
03-08-2017, 01:57 PM
The word "no" means different things in Japanese and English (and a number of other languages). The word, "in" means different things in English and Nahautl. It happens. No one language owns a combination of sounds.

dabom
03-08-2017, 02:05 PM
You know who REALLY pushes that? Mexico. Apparently, norteamericano is a pretty common term for people from the US down there.

Do you know what NAFTA stands for? :lol

DAF86
03-08-2017, 02:06 PM
Nope. Did you not read the link? We took the Spanish word for a French concept and shortened it into an English word. There wasn't a "They call themselves Latinos? Brilliant. Johnson, get to work on putting that in the dictionary." It was, "They call themselves latinoamericanos? Too long. Johnson, get work putting "Latino" in the dictionary."

Well then, sorry but that's just lazy and, to be really honest, kind of racist and it spreads confusion and ignorance; because I have learnt, from experience, that the use of "Latino" as "latinamerican" has many Staters fucking up the meanings of mulato, hispanic and the understanding of which countries are Latins, tbh.

Brazil
03-08-2017, 02:07 PM
:lol this discussion is still better than me explaining to some red necks trump voters that Brazilian people don't speak Spanish

Chinook
03-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Do you know what NAFTA stands for? :lol

Yes. But that doesn't have anything to do with what I said.

dabom
03-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Yes. But that doesn't have anything to do with what I said.

What did you say. I'm explaining how people that actually live in that region have a better understanding of the word. :lol

egtonecity
03-08-2017, 02:14 PM
Can someone change thread title to "Latino or Latin-yes"

Chinook
03-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Well then, sorry but that's just lazy and, to be really honest, kind of racist and it spreads confusion and ignorance; because I have learnt, from experience, that the use of "Latino" as "latinamerican" has many Staters fucking up the meanings of mulato, hispanic and the understanding of which countries are Latins, tbh.

You won't catch me saying there aren't ignorant people out there. But Latino has a proper definition that Spanish-speaking nations don't control and have no right to control. Part of getting rid of ignorance is to accept that. Anyways, calling people something they don't call themselves is actually an extremely old practice. People from Greece don't call themselves Greek or greciano or anything that sounds like that. (They're Hellenic.)

Spanish-speakers call Germany Alemania even though Alamannia is only a region of Germany and not the whole country.

And shit, none of us have been talking about Castilian instead of Spanish. We're just plunking right along acting like it's not just one of the many Spanish languages.

Chinook
03-08-2017, 02:23 PM
What did you say. I'm explaining how people that actually live in that region have a better understanding of the word. :lol

I'm saying that in Mexico, a lot of people are using the term "North American" to refer to people from the US, when it should refer to them equally. It's not just ignorant folk on this side of the wall.

dabom
03-08-2017, 02:37 PM
I'm saying that in Mexico, a lot of people are using the term "North American" to refer to people from the US, when it should refer to them equally. It's not just ignorant folk on this side of the wall.

Well they clearly are not staying they aren't part of north America so you aren't saying much. :lol

MR-Clutch
03-08-2017, 02:43 PM
And we've lost the thread...

Canyonero
03-08-2017, 04:17 PM
And we've lost the thread...

My bad