PDA

View Full Version : The Republicans who could tell Trump to take a hike on health care

FuzzyLumpkins
03-09-2017, 02:00 AM
Hard-line conservatives have threatened to upend the GOP’s drive to replace Obamacare, but the real peril may come from a quieter group of moderates.

The two dozen House Republicans who outran President Donald Trump at home — in some cases surviving even as Hillary Clinton won their districts — are now facing a vote on health care that could put their political careers on the line. Though Obamacare has never been widely popular, the law has gained support in recent weeks as Republicans inch closer to repealing it. And the GOP plan to replace it is drawing fire from important constituencies, from hospitals to AARP.

Republican members in swing districts are likeliest to feel the squeeze — and would be taking the greatest political risk to back the president and the party.

“This is a difficult vote … There’s always been concern from our members,” said Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.), who leads the Tuesday Group, the House GOP’s caucus of moderates. “I watched the Obamacare debate back in 2010, and I saw that their more centrist members were put in a difficult predicament. I suspect the flip happens this time.”

Centrists present a unique challenge for GOP leadership, whose whip team started courting the center-right weeks before the rollout of their health care plan. While most moderates enjoy good working relationships with leadership — many sit on the committees that are crafting the Obamacare overhaul — they may be the least susceptible to pressure from Trump, given his low ratings in many of their districts.

“A tweet from the president for these guys doesn’t have the same impact as it would on [House conservatives] Mark Meadows or Jim Jordan,” said one senior GOP source.

Democrats, meanwhile, are practically daring the swing-district Republicans to vote yes, vowing to make health care the driving issue in next year’s midterms. They’re keeping a list of targets and preparing to run ads against centrists who support the bill.

“When vulnerable Republicans inevitably toe the party line and vote to rip health care away from their constituents, you can be sure that they will be held accountable at the ballot box,” Tyler Law, a spokesman for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, said in a statement.

Well aware of the potential blowback, many centrists are refusing to say how they’ll vote.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/obamacare-repeal-republican-moderates-235852

rmt
03-09-2017, 06:26 AM
Well, I hope those voters in PA with increases up to 55% (32.5% average) remember those premium increases when they go back to the ballot box. Ryan will probably get the 212? votes eventually.

http://triblive.com/news/healthnow/11321320-74/increases-percent-market

rmt
03-09-2017, 06:47 AM
The more hospitals and groups like AARP protest this new bill, the better I see it for patients.

pgardn
03-09-2017, 08:56 AM
The more hospitals and groups like AARP protest this new bill, the better I see it for patients who are well off.

I took the liberty of fixing it. Like the new kinder gentler Republicans.

Hospitals do the devious deeds just like any for profit institutions aware of shareholders needs first. (Btw, I love the way Hospitals keep the religious names and have absolutely no ties anymore) AARP will be willing to sacrifice the chillin. The AMA actually helped drive the US to higher costs after WWII when the rest of the West went to universal coverage and the unions could bargain with companies for workers health in the US. Times change. Here we are. Health care can be a huge $ machine if you screw people properly.

Costs, costs, costs.
Face the wall of music blowing our hair back.

boutons_deux
03-09-2017, 10:36 AM
ryan saying Repugs who oppose will be breaking Trash's "promise", while AHCA already destroys

rasuo214
03-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Paul Ryan doesn't have the votes to pass his plan as is, not even close as of now. His routes are just pass a repeal, negotiate with conservatives, compromise with Dems or do nothing.

rmt
03-09-2017, 01:27 PM
I took the liberty of fixing it. Like the new kinder gentler Republicans.

Hospitals do the devious deeds just like any for profit institutions aware of shareholders needs first. (Btw, I love the way Hospitals keep the religious names and have absolutely no ties anymore) AARP will be willing to sacrifice the chillin. The AMA actually helped drive the US to higher costs after WWII when the rest of the West went to universal coverage and the unions could bargain with companies for workers health in the US. Times change. Here we are. Health care can be a huge $ machine if you screw people properly.

Costs, costs, costs.
Face the wall of music blowing our hair back.

Why do you think it's better off for rich patients who regardless of ACA or GOP proposal can buy top notch health care? They aren't going to buy catastrophic care nor did the cost of heavy-laden ACA plans bother them. With the GOP proposal, ordinary people will have a choice - anywhere from nothing to catastrophic to full-blown (and pay or not pay according).

Exactly why these big organizations - whether insurance cos, hospitals, AMA - don't want a system where you can just buy catastrophic insurance and comparison shop for routine/maintenance needs. They want full-blown insurance where the costs are hidden/not clear and they can hide amongst bloated charges and reduced reimbursements. They don't want a system where I know going in and out that I'm only going to pay $80 for this mammogram.

mavsfan1000
03-09-2017, 03:11 PM
They don't want Obamacare lite. They want Obamacare gone.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-09-2017, 07:51 PM
They don't want Obamacare lite. They want Obamacare gone.

Try reading the article. You are obviously not informed on the issue. There is that contingent yes but it is not that simple.