PDA

View Full Version : Patriots get Brandin Cooks for a bag of chips

03-10-2017, 07:52 PM

03-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Titans offered the saints the 14th pick & they declined. today they gave him away to the pats for nothing to avoid paying him a $800k bonus.

Darth_Pelican
03-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Saints should have done better. But Cooks is gonna want a big payday in 2018. Pats aren't gonna pay him what he wants.

03-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Saints should have done better. But Cooks is gonna want a big payday in 2018. Pats aren't gonna pay him what he wants.How the Saints didn't walk away from this without Malcolm Butler is befuddling

Darth_Pelican
03-10-2017, 08:15 PM
How the Saints didn't walk away from this without Malcolm Butler is befuddling

There's a reason the Saints have been sitting on 7-9 seasons.

monosylab1k
03-10-2017, 08:20 PM
:lmao bag of chips. Fuck off. as if Brandin Cooks is prime Megatron or some shit. Nice pickup, but I would rather have the picks, or trade them for a better player. The last thing Brady needs is another midget that relies on pinpoint QB accuracy to be effective.

Will Hunting
03-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Saints should have done better. But Cooks is gonna want a big payday in 2018. Pats aren't gonna pay him what he wants.
Yeah this isn't a smart trade for the Pats at all imo, they're essentially trading their 1st round pick for a one year Brandin Cooks rental.

The Pats' strategy this off season makes no fucking sense to me, it seems like they're mortgaging their future to go for broke next season when they've historically never done that.

Will Hunting
03-10-2017, 08:26 PM
:lmao bag of chips. Fuck off. as if Brandin Cooks is prime Megatron or some shit. Nice pickup, but I would rather have the picks, or trade them for a better player. The last thing Brady needs is another midget that relies on pinpoint QB accuracy to be effective.
But he put up amazing numbers on a shitty team with the biggest stat whore of all time at QB!

spurraider21
03-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Yeah this isn't a smart trade for the Pats at all imo, they're essentially trading their 1st round pick for a one year Brandin Cooks rental.

The Pats' strategy this off season makes no fucking sense to me, it seems like they're mortgaging their future to go for broke next season when they've historically never done that.maybe brady privately told the pats this will be his last year?

monosylab1k
03-10-2017, 08:27 PM

The Pats' strategy this year seems odd to me, it seems like they're mortgaging their future to go for broke next season when they've historically never done that.

As Brady ages he's going to need more help. But Cooks isn't that guy on offense. He'll be okay but I don't see how he helps that much.

I'm just glad they're keeping Butler. Gilmore is teriffic as a #2 corner, but giving him #1 corner money is stupid.

Will Hunting
03-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Maybe because a shutdown elite corner is more valuable than a one dimensional receiver who's NFL career has consisted of nothing beyond stat whoring on a shitty team?

Will Hunting
03-10-2017, 08:29 PM
maybe brady privately told the pats this will be his last year?
That would actually make a lot of sense since they're keeping Garappolo which would be pointless unless they're ready to pay him starter money a year from now.

Will Hunting
03-10-2017, 08:30 PM
As Brady ages he's going to need more help. But Cooks isn't that guy on offense. He'll be okay but I don't see how he helps that much.

I'm just glad they're keeping Butler. Gilmore is teriffic as a #2 corner, but giving him #1 corner money is stupid.
Is it a sure thing they're keeping Butler?

monosylab1k
03-10-2017, 08:32 PM
Is it a sure thing they're keeping Butler?

I hope so. I'm thinking (hoping) Butler's inclusion in trade talks was just a negotiating ploy.

Darth_Pelican
03-10-2017, 08:34 PM
maybe brady privately told the pats this will be his last year?

Nah. Brady has plenty left in the tank. I think he privately wants to shatter Peyton's regular season passing yards & touchdowns.

Will Hunting
03-10-2017, 08:40 PM
I hope so. I'm thinking (hoping) Butler's inclusion in trade talks was just a negotiating ploy.
If they keep him then I like the Gilmore signing. I just saw only the first two years of how contract are guaranteed so they aren't risking too much and he's an improvement over Logan Ryan.

The Dwayne Allen trade was also good imo, if they can keep Hightower + Butler the defense is definitely improved from last year. My one hope would still be they get a new right guard/center since Shaq Mason is fucking garbage.

Pelicans78
03-10-2017, 08:59 PM

Butler isn't technically signed yet.

But Cooks isn't irreplaceable. He was probably the 3rd best WR on the Saints this past season.

RGMCSE
03-10-2017, 09:19 PM
do the pats have any picks left tbh?

monosylab1k
03-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Just watched his highlights from last season. Basically all his big catches were beating linebackers, run support safeties, and finding holes in the zone. Almost nothing beating a man off the line. So yeah, he'll fit right in with Edelman/Amendola/Hogan :lol

He's certainly going to thrive as long as Brady can still zip it into tight windows. Once Brady starts losing his fastball he'll be as useless as the rest of the receivers on this team.

Avante
03-10-2017, 09:42 PM
The first great Pats receiver was Tennessee speedster Stanley Morgan. Randy Moss tore it up as a Pat.

Finally, back to some legit jets. Every team can use a guy with serious speed at WR.

monosylab1k
03-10-2017, 09:43 PM
The first great Pats receiver was Tennessee speedster Stanley Morgan. Randy Moss tore it up as a Pat.

Finally, back to some legit jets.

Oh, go cram your dick into an illegal hole. Nobody cares what you think.

Avante
03-10-2017, 09:46 PM

You were proved wrong asshole, ya see those who understand the game know what speed does for an offense.

See your dumbass learned something......bitch~~~

monosylab1k
03-10-2017, 09:55 PM
You were proved wrong asshole, ya see those who understand the game know what speed does for an offense.

See your dumbass learned something......bitch~~~

And you're a pedophile.

Avante
03-10-2017, 09:59 PM
And you're a pedophile.

translation

Avante told me the Pats needed a speed receiver, why I hassled him? I need too take notes, learn all I can from guys who know the game.

Stanley Morgan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpzbIZvvF3w

Avante
03-10-2017, 10:36 PM
A 4.30 is some serious jets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0S0yMIatBs

leemajors
03-10-2017, 10:41 PM

He'll never stop clucking and chirping

UNT Eagles 2016
03-10-2017, 11:32 PM
Brady being his last year has to be the only explanation for trading away their future for Dwayne Allen and Brandin Cooks. They need to keep Butler for a year and maybe trade for another cheap stud defensive player, perhaps a pass rusher in the last year of his rookie contract?

Will Hunting
03-11-2017, 12:27 AM
Brady being his last year has to be the only explanation for trading away their future for Dwayne Allen and Brandin Cooks. They need to keep Butler for a year and maybe trade for another cheap stud defensive player, perhaps a pass rusher in the last year of his rookie contract?
They didn't trade much for Dwayne Allen but they def gave too much for Cooks.

Regarding the pass rusher, they just traded for Kony Ealy who isn't great but is much better than Chris Long.

Mal
03-11-2017, 03:52 AM
Cooks has 5th year option for 8,5 mil. So that`s two year of full patriots controll.

Avante
03-11-2017, 10:34 AM
He'll never stop clucking and chirping

I talk football not all worrried about other posters. Grow up ya little shit, ok?

Will Hunting
03-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Cooks has 5th year option for 8,5 mil. So that`s two year of full patriots controll.
I'll take Brandon Marshall at 6mm (what the giants got him at) over Cooks at 8.5mm and it's not even close.

As mono already said, Cooks' production comes in the same way Edelman's/Hogan's/Amendola's production comes....busted coverage, designed plays, and extremely accurate passes from his QB. He isn't some Randy Moss type of deep threat with a giant catching radius who always requires safety help because he consistently shreds/catches passes over man coverage. Put an above average corner who can throw off his route timing and he'll disappear.

Raven
03-11-2017, 01:20 PM
while he's probably a decent player, i'm very puzzled by our moves... Probably means Amendola is gone.

Clipper Nation
03-11-2017, 01:52 PM
A first and third round pick isn't a "bag of chips." It's a pretty steep price for a shiny hood ornament they don't need.

Mal
03-11-2017, 02:54 PM
I'll take Brandon Marshall at 6mm (what the giants got him at) over Cooks at 8.5mm and it's not even close.

As mono already said, Cooks' production comes in the same way Edelman's/Hogan's/Amendola's production comes....busted coverage, designed plays, and extremely accurate passes from his QB. He isn't some Randy Moss type of deep threat with a giant catching radius who always requires safety help because he consistently shreds/catches passes over man coverage. Put an above average corner who can throw off his route timing and he'll disappear.

There arent many teams that can put cover on all weapons that Brady will have. Pats has seen him closely last year in the summer, and apparently wanted him badly. I think no one can question pats FO.

Marshall is old and head case. And you`ve got Cooks for 9 mil/2yrs rather than Marshall 12/2.

monosylab1k
03-11-2017, 03:23 PM

I'm pretty sure Marshall met with the Pats, but it was never going to work. I imagine this is how the conversation went.

Belichick: if we sign you, are you willing to stop appearing on Inside The NFL?

Marshall: nope.

Belichick: Okay, nice meeting with you.

Will Hunting
03-11-2017, 03:32 PM
There arent many teams that can put cover on all weapons that Brady will have. Pats has seen him closely last year in the summer, and apparently wanted him badly. I think no one can question pats FO.

Marshall is old and head case. And you`ve got Cooks for 9 mil/2yrs rather than Marshall 12/2.
The weapons Brady has are largely redundant with each other. If you jam up the middle of the field/intermediate route areas you're effectively covering Edelman/Amendola/Cooks simultaneously. Gronk is the only receiver on the roster who's able to constantly attract double coverage.

The notion that you can't question Belichicks personnel decisions is also retarded. History is going ignore all of his shitty personnel decisions because he's such a fucking good coach who's able to compensate for them, but he's had more than his fair share of draft picks who have flopped and free agent signings that failed. His ability to evaluate the WR position has especially been particularly shitty. Rememba det time Chad Jackson in the 2nd round was going to be the steal of the draft because of how amazing he looked in practice?

Will Hunting
03-11-2017, 03:40 PM
I'm pretty sure Marshall met with the Pats, but it was never going to work. I imagine this is how the conversation went.

Belichick: if we sign you, are you willing to stop appearing on Inside The NFL?

Marshall: nope.

Belichick: Okay, nice meeting with you.
Fair point, but I would still rather they just re-sign Floyd to a prove-it type deal and use the resources they spent on Cooks to retool at center/right guard. Generating A gap pressure is one of the few things that consistently worked against Brady even in his prime, so that's definitely an area to make sure isn't a problem as he gets older imo. A receiving group of Edelman/Mitchell/Hogan/Floyd w/ Allen at tight end (im just assuming Gronk isn't healthy) is adequate enough.

Avante
03-11-2017, 09:35 PM
Cooks can go the distance everything he has the ball, that can't be said about everyone. He is a legit speed threat.

The last two sesons....162 receptions, 2311 yards and 17Tds. What team couldn't use that kind of productions?

Stanley Morgan, Irving Fryar, Randy Moss all made a huge difference for the Pats with their speed, Cooks will be the next one.

Will Hunting
03-11-2017, 09:41 PM
Cooks can go the distance everything he has the ball, that can't be said about everyone. He is a legit speed threat.

The last two sesons....162 receptions, 2311 yards and 17Tds. What team couldn't use that kind of productions?

Stanley Morgan, Irving Fryar, Randy Moss all made a huge difference for the Pats with their speed, Cooks will be the next one.
1100 yard over/under bet for Cooks next season, loser is banned from the NFL forum for the following 6 months. Deal?

Avante
03-11-2017, 09:49 PM
1100 yard over/under bet for Cooks next season, loser is banned from the NFL forum for the following 6 months. Deal?

You know I'm a...GIVE THINGS SOME DAMN TIME....guy. I have no idea just what role Belichick has in mind for the guy. All we know is if used like he was in NO he's catching over 70/1000.

I was a cornerback, (RB) in HS, it's a whole other deal knowing a guy can blow by ya.

monosylab1k
03-11-2017, 10:11 PM
chirp chirp

Avante
03-11-2017, 10:24 PM
chirp chirp

translation

This damn Avante, he told me but I wouldn't listen, now I'm going to pout.

leemajors
03-12-2017, 02:00 PM
chirp chirp

Cluck cluck

Avante
03-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Cluck cluck

translation

Avante knows his football and it pisses me off. I need to get a note pad and start writing stuff down, learn a few things.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-12-2017, 06:49 PM
do the pats have any picks left tbh?

Nope. Not till the end of the 3rd (4th?) round anyways. They're really fucking themselves over once Brady is gone tbh they'll be the bottom of the AFC for the next 5+ years. They'll be what Jacksonville has been, or worse, in the past 10.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-12-2017, 06:49 PM
while he's probably a decent player, i'm very puzzled by our moves... Probably means Amendola is gone.

Not this year, probably next.

Amendola is a smart player you want on your team no matter how many receivers you have. Just so sound in the offense and amazing at setting picks at the perfect time so he doesn't draw a flag. Probably the best in the league at that imo.

Pelicans78
03-15-2017, 07:01 AM
Butler is visiting the Saints tomorrow. Some in NOLA media are speculating that Butler will be signed and the Saints will give up the 32nd pick they got from the Pats. Like it was an under the table agreement. I'm not sold it's gonna happen.