PDA

View Full Version : Start Davis Bertans (If LMA Shut Down)

coachmac87
03-13-2017, 01:14 PM
If LMA injury is significant and he'd miss possibly the year..

If I'm Pop I start Bertans...

I doubt this happens tho.. Bertans/Dedmond would equal FOUL CITY..

I just wouldn't want to screw with the production I've been getting with Pau/Lee lately

Thoughts?

Chinook
03-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Would rather start Anderson (you know, 'cause me). He would help facilitated the offense better and is a much better defender. However, when Bertans is hot, he makes this decision much harder. With Parker out, I go Anderson, but if Tony can get healthy and play well, then maybe Bertans' spacing makes more sense.

ceperez
03-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Would rather start Anderson (you know, 'cause me). He would help facilitated the offense better and is a much better defender. However, when Bertans is hot, he makes this decision much harder. With Parker out, I go Anderson, but if Tony can get healthy and play well, then maybe Bertans' spacing makes more sense.

I would not want to play Bertans to hard in his first NBA season. His knees just might not hold up!

We already know what Bertans can do. I worry that too much exposure gets him exposed and the league will shut him down just like they did Simmons.

I would like to see more mileage with Forbes.

ceperez
03-13-2017, 01:53 PM

I would not want to play Bertans to hard in his first NBA season. His knees just might not hold up!

We already know what Bertans can do. I worry that too much exposure gets him exposed and the league will shut him down just like they did Simmons.

Simmons problem is that he's run out of tricks in his bag.

coachmac87
03-13-2017, 01:57 PM

Yeah I see your point..but I assumed that Parker would be healthy which I guess would be asking too much?? But if he is healthy like you said it would open up space for him to rejuvenate himself lol

LaMarcus Bryant
03-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Problem with another jump shooter is more standing around perimeter, with no people creating inside.

cd021
03-13-2017, 02:29 PM

Simmons is an athletic guard who can't and won't shoot 3's, it's pretty much the rim or bust for him.

Bertans is a 6'10 forward with deep range from 3, shutting him down mean you have another player attached to his hip 23-25 feet away from the rim. If he's playing with Green; that's two players that opposing teams can't sag off, 3 if Leonard's on the floor too. That's a lot of space for the Spurs to operate in, not to bring up Bonner but it was the primary reason why the offense was usually always great with him on the floor.

He seems to be able to attack closeouts, which is also useful but it's almost impossible for teams to consistently shut down a shooter, without opening up something for a offense to exploit.

coachmac87
03-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Simmons is an athletic guard who can't and won't shoot 3's, it's pretty much the rim or bust for him.

Bertans is a 6'10 forward with deep range from 3, shutting him down mean you have another player attached to his hip 23-25 feet away from the rim. If he's playing with Green; that's two players that opposing teams can't sag off, 3 if Leonard's on the floor too. That's a lot of space for the Spurs to operate in, not to bring up Bonner but it was the primary reason why the offense was usually always great with him on the floor.

He seems to be able to attack closeouts, which is also useful but it's almost impossible for teams to consistently shut down a shooter, without opening up something for a offense to exploit.

If only Bertans was somewhat the defensive player that Bonner was...he's got the length and atheisticism just not feel the yet

cd021
03-13-2017, 02:37 PM
Problem with another jump shooter is more standing around perimeter, with no people creating inside.

Agreed. Lee is or Anderson is the best options. Lee as a P & R option and the occasional post up option or Anderson as a secondary play maker (making the extra pass that leads to an open shot) or driving,

ceperez
03-13-2017, 02:49 PM

I was thinking more about playing in the regular season.

Sure, Bertans should play and play a lot in the post-season. He can spread the floor for Kawhi to operate.

SAGirl
03-13-2017, 02:56 PM
Nor does he rebound well (Bertans). It's really the only worry for him starting. I think Pop stays with Ded-Lee and go from there.

anderson deserves to play though. I don't know what spot or whatever but he's playing too well to not take advantage of.

TheGreatYacht
03-13-2017, 02:58 PM
Fathead has a decent game against Matt Barnes and Ian Clark, and now he's "playing too well"

Post 2014 fans smh

look_at_g_shred
03-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Yup. We'd be no better than GS in the rebound department.

HarlemHeat37
03-13-2017, 03:01 PM
I don't like the idea of starting Bertans, tbh..his defense is poor and he's still too raw in the scheme IMO..Dedmon is still raw and inconsistent in that setting, I don't like the idea of having both out there together vs. opposing starting lineups..

I like him in his current role as a spark plug type that can completely change the flow of the game with his shooting and energy..if he's playing well, I don't mind closing with him..

TheGreatYacht
03-13-2017, 03:05 PM
Spurs can't afford to have 4 non-shooters on the floor.... Parker, Green, Fathead, Deadmon

Gross tbh..

coachmac87
03-13-2017, 03:18 PM
I don't like the idea of starting Bertans, tbh..his defense is poor and he's still too raw in the scheme IMO..Dedmon is still raw and inconsistent in that setting, I don't like the idea of having both out there together vs. opposing starting lineups..

I like him in his current role as a spark plug type that can completely change the flow of the game with his shooting and energy..if he's playing well, I don't mind closing with him..

Ok so what route do you go? I agree with his flaws tho on why you wouldn't.

coachmac87
03-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Spurs can't afford to have 4 non-shooters on the floor.... Parker, Green, Fathead, Deadmon

Gross tbh..

This.

Mr. Body
03-13-2017, 03:25 PM
No, he's not even ready enough to be a rotation player yet.

dabom
03-13-2017, 03:27 PM

Your gonna have minutes. I dread fathead starting. I think that's a really really bad combination.

HarlemHeat37
03-13-2017, 03:28 PM
Ok so what route do you go? I agree with his flaws tho on why you wouldn't.

No idea, yet..it's a time to experiment and play matchup-based rotations IMO..

It's not an ideal time to experiment, since you generally want a solid rotation by March, but Spurs are in a bad position with the Aldridge situation, obviously..

NASpurs
03-13-2017, 03:29 PM
Maybe if 2013 Parker was on the team.

peacemaker885
03-13-2017, 03:33 PM
I vote for Kyle over Davis for now.

HarlemHeat37
03-13-2017, 03:34 PM
I'd start Anderson in tonight's matchup, since it's going to be a defensive, grind-out game..Atlanta is an elite defensive team, but horrible on offense, their starting unit can't score enough to take advantage of the offensive flaws of the Spurs' starters..playing defense and allowing Kawhi to have a 40% usage rate(even coming off a missed game) is fine for tonight IMO..

The Hawks generally start really slow, offensively, even worse than what we've seen from the Spurs the past few weeks..Hardaway and Ilyasova are their dangerous volume scorer/shooters and they come off the bench..

TD 21
03-13-2017, 04:10 PM
Bertans is too physically weak to start. Until/unless he becomes physically strong enough to not get easily put under the rim by fellow stretch bigs, his minutes need to be match-up based.

Anderson starting against the Hawks is a bad idea. Even though Millsap is more of a face up big, he could easily overpower him on the block, force help and generate open threes. They don't need to help a poor offense get off and gain confidence.

I understand Pop doesn't want to go back to Gasol starting while Aldridge is out because he doesn't want him thinking that if the team, him or both are functioning well, it'll stay that way when Aldridge returns, but he really should be, especially with a match-up like the Hawks. In non Howard minutes, they play a Millsap-Ilyasova front line, neither of which Gasol should be matched up against.

8FOR!3
03-13-2017, 05:51 PM
David Lee starting makes the most sense. He's used to playing with Dedmon and plus playing with Gasol can probably make Kyle/Bertans look pretty good at the 4 off the bench. I guess you could start Kyle against some teams, but definitely not tonight. Millsap is too big and strong.

DrunkTXLabrat
03-14-2017, 04:31 PM
i like the idea. Give Dedmon the offensive board outlet target.

Play Boban
03-15-2017, 06:30 PM
I'd start BertansVP over LMA even though he's back.

spursistan
03-15-2017, 10:28 PM
Lol DNP..

sasaint
03-15-2017, 10:30 PM
Lol DNP..

That's Pop's most egregious blunder this game.

coachmac87
03-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Bump??

Not able to watch game but find it interesting why he's starting with LMA

TheGreatYacht
03-19-2017, 07:20 PM
Don't like it so far. Hope he changes my mind.

DAF86
03-19-2017, 08:10 PM
Couldn't watch the game and from watching the boxscore it seems like Bertans didn't play much of a role, but I like the move of starting Bertans. It gives the Spurs the possibility of reaching another gear on offense, a gear that is unreachable by playing two traditional bigs. Hopefully we can still mantain a good defense too.

Mr. Body
03-19-2017, 08:18 PM
Bertans is not ready to start. At all.

coachmac87
03-19-2017, 08:43 PM
Bertans is not ready to start. At all.

I think that's a bit harsh..

Whether if you think he's ready Pop still did it..but why?

MultiTroll
03-19-2017, 08:46 PM
Apparently he missed a defensive rotation and was quickly pulled by Pop.
Matt Bonner always made his rotations.
I sure hope Bertans can make all his rotations have a defensive career like Bonners.

Mr. Body
03-19-2017, 08:55 PM
I think that's a bit harsh..

Whether if you think he's ready Pop still did it..but why?

To see if he's ready. He's not.

coachmac87
03-19-2017, 09:00 PM

8 mins all you need to make that decision?

spursistan
03-19-2017, 09:03 PM
Not a starting caliber player yet, IMO..

Hoops Czar
03-19-2017, 09:20 PM
Not a starting caliber player yet, IMO..

:lol

DAF86
03-20-2017, 09:04 PM

Do you think an 8 minutes sample size proves that? :lol

Mr. Body
03-20-2017, 10:25 PM
Do you think an 8 minutes sample size proves that? :lol

I think the fact he was given a shot and yanked proves that.

DAF86
03-20-2017, 11:17 PM
I think the fact he was given a shot and yanked proves that.

That could mean many different things: Bertans not having a good game, a bench guy having a good one, matchup problems, etc.

If Pop is seriously considering having Bertans start I really doubt he gives up on the idea after just 8 minutes, tbh.

MultiTroll
03-21-2017, 01:05 AM
That could mean many different things: Bertans not having a good game, a bench guy having a good one, matchup problems, etc.

If Pop is seriously considering having Bertans start I really doubt he gives up on the idea after just 8 minutes, tbh.
Exactly.
Because Porker, Danny, Aldridge, Fathead etc have never had a start where they did not play well in the first 8 minutes.
Plus who said Bertie did not play well in the 1st 8?
Consensus is he got pulled for *not being in the right defensive postion* which purportedly gives Pop PMS.

SAGirl
03-21-2017, 11:49 PM
He's not ready.
He has talent but he was played very scattered all season and now that defenses and the intensity of games is ramping up he hasn't been playing well.

I think if he had played in the regular rotation all season like JSimms did (and was allowed to struggle through his issues, inconsistencies, etc.) by now he would be ready, but not playing in a regular rotation deprives you of those opportunities for growth. Pop now has the short hook with him.

MultiTroll
03-22-2017, 12:05 AM
Pop now has the short hook with him.Concur.
Not sure how many rookies, or for that matter veterans can function well with someone looking over their shoulder ready for the immediate hook at the slightest miscue.
:depressed

SAGirl
03-22-2017, 12:07 AM
Concur.
Not sure how many rookies, or for that matter veterans can function well with someone looking over their shoulder ready for the immediate hook at the slightest miscue.
:depressed
Even veterans say they need consistency in minutes to keep rhythm and chemistry.