PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs might end up with Zero regular season awards despite..

spursistan
03-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Top seed and overall best record in the NBA while boasting the best defense in entire league..

Yet, Pop (COY) and Kawhi (DPOY/MVP) could seriously come empty-handed according to the season-long dominant narratives and tropes with regard to who should win these awards..

Has this ever happened? Talk about taking Spurs disrespect to another level :lol..

GSH
03-13-2017, 02:17 PM
They (whoever "they" are) can't disrespect the LOB. Barkley got his share of regular season awards - and no rings. Ask which he'd rather have.

TXstbobcat
03-13-2017, 02:19 PM
as long as they get this one it's all good. :lobt2:

Chinook
03-13-2017, 02:19 PM
I think Pop will get COY. Most of that, "No one expected them to be this good" hype doesn't end up factoring in. It's the least narrative-driven award in the league. But games like that Kings comeback will be nice feathers in his cap. For the most part, the guys with the best records have been getting that award.

BatManu20
03-13-2017, 02:27 PM
Yea Pop has a good shot at COY if we finish with the best record, despite D'Antoni being the favorite all season. Draymond has all but won DPOY though and MVP will still likely go to Russ or Harden.

HarlemHeat37
03-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Spoelstra or D'Antoni are locks for COTY if Miami makes the playoffs IMO..

You have to consider the expectations during the off-season..most people who aren't in the analytics community were clowning the Rockets for hiring D'Antoni..

coachmac87
03-13-2017, 02:29 PM
I think Pop will get COY. Most of that, "No one expected them to be this good" hype doesn't end up factoring in. It's the least narrative-driven award in the league. But games like that Kings comeback will be nice feathers in his cap. For the most part, the guys with the best records have been getting that award.

Giving Dantoni COY is the biggest counter argument on not giving Harden the MVP IMO.

BatManu20
03-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Spoelstra is a lock for COTY if Miami makes the playoffs IMO..he's getting a ton of hype..

I've thought about that too, but would they really give it to a coach whose team is right around .500 and in the 7th or 8th seed? Don't think that has ever happened before.

HarlemHeat37
03-13-2017, 02:33 PM
I've thought about that too, but would they really give it to a coach whose team is right around .500 and in the 7th or 8th seed? Don't think that has ever happened before.

The in-season turnaround is historic, though, no team has ever done anything like that IIRC..

D'Antoni is probably going to win it, though..

Joseph Kony
03-13-2017, 02:33 PM
who cares. that shit means nothing tbh. RS is meaningless, playoffs are all that matters tbh

HarlemHeat37
03-13-2017, 02:34 PM
I think Pop has reached the point where it's accepted that he's the best and he'll be ignored for it, though..

I thought Belichick was a lock for COTY, this year, especially since they didn't suffer without Brady, yet they went the usual route of giving it to the coach of the "improved team"..

Chinook
03-13-2017, 02:35 PM
You have to consider the expectations during the off-season..most people who aren't in the analytics community were clowning the Rockets for hiring D'Antoni..

No, you don't, actually. It's been a guy with a top-three seed for as long as I was willing to go back and check. Hell, it's been a one-seed for the past three seasons. MDA has a chance, I agree. I do think SA and HOU will split COY and MVP if everything goes will with both teams from here on out.

HarlemHeat37
03-13-2017, 02:41 PM
No, you don't, actually. It's been a guy with a top-three seed for as long as I was willing to go back and check. Hell, it's been a one-seed for the past three seasons. MDA has a chance, I agree. I do think SA and HOU will split COY and MVP if everything goes will with both teams from here on out.

Not mutually exclusive, tbh..

Budenholzer(+22 wins from the previous seasons), George Karl(+19), Thibs(+21), Brooks(+27), Brown(+21), Scott(+17), Mitchell(+20), etc..

Those are 7 out of the last 10 COTY winners..the formula was exceeding expectations and substantially increasing wins from the previous seasons(which is essentially the same thing)..it's somewhat formulaic and similar in every American team sport..

We're both going to be correct when D'Antoni wins COTY, though, as Houston is going to finish with a top 3 seed after finishing 8th, last season(and will see a 15 win increase, at least)..

GSH
03-13-2017, 03:03 PM

True

Not mutually exclusive, tbh..

Budenholzer(+22 wins from the previous seasons), George Karl(+19), Thibs(+21), Brooks(+27), Brown(+21), Scott(+17), Mitchell(+20), etc..

Those are 7 out of the last 10 COTY winners..the formula was exceeding expectations and substantially increasing wins from the previous seasons(which is essentially the same thing)..it's somewhat formulaic and similar in every American team sport..

We're both going to be correct when D'Antoni wins COTY, though, as Houston is going to finish with a top 3 seed after finishing 8th, last season(and will see a 15 win increase, at least)..

And very likely to be true.

DieHardSpursFan1537
03-13-2017, 03:48 PM
Hopefully Spurs win so we get the :lobt2:and so Pop can go to the White House and come face to face with Trump :lol

DAF86
03-13-2017, 03:56 PM

Doc Rivers won it in 2000 in Orlando without even making the playoffs, tbh.

spursistan
03-13-2017, 04:06 PM

spursistan
03-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Giving both Pringles and Harden COY/MVP is rather pathetic when we're lapping them by 10 games in the standings, not to mention winning the season series..:lol

Joseph Kony
03-13-2017, 04:25 PM
It's going to Pringles or Spoelstra tbh, media doesn't want to give it to Pop again imo nor does he really deserve it with his shit rotations and horrible jerking around of players' minutes

TheGreatYacht
03-13-2017, 05:22 PM
Duncan, Parker, and Manu never made the All Star game together while Golden State and fucking Atlanta had FOUR all stars at once :lol

Duncan never won DPOY

etc etc

Mikeanaro
03-13-2017, 06:07 PM
It's going to Pringles or Spoelstra tbh, media doesn't want to give it to Pop again imo nor does he really deserve it with his shit rotations and horrible jerking around of players' minutes
Spoelstra?

SpursIndonesia
03-13-2017, 08:35 PM
Spoelstra?

The Heat has been one of the hottest team after all stars break, and now challenging for a playoff spot in the east, while being predicted to be a laughing stock of the league at the start of the season.

DMX7
03-13-2017, 11:54 PM
Leonard will win DPOY

DPG21920
03-13-2017, 11:58 PM
Gobert has been the best individual defender this year IMO. He deserves the award but Kawhi has come on very strong lately.

Kawhi should be the MVP ESPECIALLY if SA wins the regular season losing LMA right around the same time GS loses KD.

ducks
03-13-2017, 11:58 PM
Leonard should win MVP, defense player of the year and most improved player and finals MVP

spurraider21
03-13-2017, 11:59 PM
dont confuse individual awards with team awards. you dont necessarily deserve an individual award because your team has success

but yes in our case kawhi is a legit candidate for 2 awards, though favored for neither

Mikeanaro
03-14-2017, 12:11 AM
The Heat has been one of the hottest team after all stars break, and now challenging for a playoff spot in the east, while being predicted to be a laughing stock of the league at the start of the season.
I don think a guy struggling to reach a spot in the east deserves COTY, specially after being in the Finals... then one player goes to another team and you cant even get the 8th seed, thats what I call a laughing stock.

DPG21920
03-14-2017, 12:16 AM
I don think a guy struggling to reach a spot in the east deserves COTY, specially after being in the Finals... then one player goes to another team and you cant even get the 8th seed, thats what I call a laughing stock.

Umm, he lost Lebron James, Bosh and Wade.

Mikeanaro
03-14-2017, 12:18 AM
Umm, he lost Lebron James, Bosh and Wade.
Im talking about Lebron leaving Miami, Spo still had Bosh and Wade back then but no playoffs at all, as I said... lost one player.

DPG21920
03-14-2017, 12:18 AM
dont confuse individual awards with team awards. you dont necessarily deserve an individual award because your team has success

but yes in our case kawhi is a legit candidate for 2 awards, though favored for neither

How can you be a great team without great players though? Also, with regards to SA - look at how the players individually have performed:

Has TP played well?
Manu?
Mills?
Danny?
LMA?
Simmons?

I mean you can really do down the line. SA has a great team but most of the main guys have not had consistently high quality seasons (which is scary because the ceiling is still really high). Many people thought SA would struggle to catch GS by the end of the year when KD went down, but SA already did that and lost LMA while doing it.

I get what you are saying but at some level winning has to be and should be rewarded and very rarely do winning teams do it by having a bunch of decent guys all playing at equal high levels.

DPG21920
03-14-2017, 12:19 AM
Im talking about Lebron leaving Miami, Spo still had Bosh and Wade back then but no playoffs at all, as I said... lost one player.

That is the best player in the league though and Bosh has had health problems for a while.

DAF86
03-14-2017, 12:22 AM
That Kawhi isn't the clear frontrunner for MVP is a travesty, tbh. If Lebron were posting Kawhi's numbers and getting that 1st seed over the Warriors there wouldn't even be a discussion.

Mikeanaro
03-14-2017, 12:24 AM
That is the best player in the league though and Bosh has had health problems for a while.
Thats no excuse to miss the playoffs in da East, even Rick Carlisle got an 8th seed for Dallas in 2014 with dinosaurs as players, I say give it to Brad Stevens or Scott Brooks, even DŽAntoni, you must reward consistence, not a flukey streak that might not even get them that 8th spot.

spurraider21
03-14-2017, 12:26 AM
How can you be a great team without great players though? Also, with regards to SA - look at how the players individually have performed:

Has TP played well?
Manu?
Mills?
Danny?
LMA?
Simmons?

I mean you can really do down the line. SA has a great team but most of the main guys have not had consistently high quality seasons (which is scary because the ceiling is still really high). Many people thought SA would struggle to catch GS by the end of the year when KD went down, but SA already did that and lost LMA while doing it.

I get what you are saying but at some level winning has to be and should be rewarded and very rarely do winning teams do it by having a bunch of decent guys all playing at equal high levels.i specifically said that in the case of leonard, yes there is a point. but it's not automatic. nobody on the ben wallace era pistons was ever a legitimate mvp candidate

DPG21920
03-14-2017, 12:27 AM
Thats no excuse to miss the playoffs in da East, even Rick Carlisle got an 8th seed for Dallas in 2014 with dinosaurs as players, I say give it to Brad Stevens or Scott Brooks, even DŽAntoni, you must reward consistence, not a flukey streak that might not even get them that 8th spot.

No, I'm not arguing for Spo as COTY, but saying he's proven himself as a really good coach.

DPG21920
03-14-2017, 12:28 AM
i specifically said that in the case of leonard, yes there is a point. but it's not automatic. nobody on the ben wallace era pistons was ever a legitimate mvp candidate

So one team in like 20 years? I know what you said about SA but I was addressing your overall point. For the most part, great teams should be rewarded with individual awards IMO because pretty much universally they have great players and winning should be weighted more than most anything else.

spurraider21
03-14-2017, 12:28 AM
dubs are 2-5 since durant got hurt... yikes

DPG21920
03-14-2017, 12:30 AM
dubs are 2-5 since durant got hurt... yikes

And SA already caught GS despite losing LMA not that long after KD goes down.

dabom
03-14-2017, 12:31 AM
And SA already caught GS despite losing LMA not that long after KD goes down.

Good thing we have Patty "Pressured" Thrills. :lol

DPG21920
03-14-2017, 12:33 AM
Good thing we have Patty "Pressured" Thills. :lol

OKC is salivating at the thought :lol

Mikeanaro
03-14-2017, 12:36 AM
No, I'm not arguing for Spo as COTY, but saying he's proven himself as a really good coach.
Thats Ok, I was just talking about COTY, but Im cool with coaches using what they have to grab a spot.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-14-2017, 02:42 AM
Pop is like LeBron, everyone knows he's the best but they won't give it to him every year. Seeing as this is a regular season award, he actually deserves it. The work he's done in the past couple of seasons with all the new bodies and retirement of the franchise player is incredible. He's still been below average coaching the past two playoff runs though.

As for Kawhi, I don't really care if he wins it this year. He's a guy who, if healthy, will probably win a couple of MVPs in his career. I wouldn't mind if the first one is next year or the year after.

SURGE
03-14-2017, 11:10 AM
Top seed and overall best record in the NBA while boasting the best defense in entire league..

Yet, Pop (COY) and Kawhi (DPOY/MVP) could seriously come empty-handed according to the season-long dominant narratives and tropes with regard to who should win these awards..

Has this ever happened? Talk about taking Spurs disrespect to another level :lol.. in 2012 the bulls had the best record and nobody got an award

Fireball
03-14-2017, 11:12 AM
this board and its infatuation with individual awards :rolleyes

TXstbobcat
03-14-2017, 11:18 AM
this board and its infatuation with individual awards :rolleyes

would rather get another one of these this season :lobt2:

NameLess Scrub
03-14-2017, 12:13 PM
Spurs are never narrative favorites. They're considered great roadblocks for the real stars of the league to overcome.

So it's good for the league that the Spurs are such a successful franchise, as long as they keep winning the LOB 25% or less of their 50 win seasons, and lose the other 75% in favor of the featured stars.

NameLess Scrub
03-14-2017, 12:14 PM
would rather get another one of these this season :lobt2:

Bottom line, yes.

SpursFan86
03-14-2017, 01:13 PM
That Kawhi isn't the clear frontrunner for MVP is a travesty, tbh. If Lebron were posting Kawhi's numbers and getting that 1st seed over the Warriors there wouldn't even be a discussion.

Not really...Harden/LeBron/Westbrook are all having insane years. It's not an insult to say that Kawhi might not deserve it over one of them. That being said, I do believe Kawhi is MVP at this juncture. Still plenty of season left, though.

Thomas82
03-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Spurs are never narrative favorites. They're considered great roadblocks for the real stars of the league to overcome.

So it's good for the league that the Spurs are such a successful franchise, as long as they keep winning the LOB 25% or less of their 50 win seasons, and lose the other 75% in favor of the featured stars.

I couldn't have said it better.