PDA

View Full Version : Lowe: What if the Spurs have some sort of Mills plan that's already locked into place

TD 21
03-13-2017, 06:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn6X7dKfn8Y @ 55:35

He says it as if he's just spit balling, so maybe this is nothing, but oftentimes when he throws things out like that, it's because he's heard it around the league. In addition, a few times this season he's brought up Mills and his free agency, but to the best of my knowledge, this was his first time mentioning this, so I tend to think he's heard something.

It wouldn't surprise me if they have some sort of understanding based on their projection of what he'll get, but his agent and him would obviously want to see if he get's something significantly better first before making a decision.

mookie2001
03-13-2017, 06:29 PM
Mills is trashgarbage his best move is to just give up.

Uriel
03-13-2017, 08:50 PM
Could someone give the Cliffs Notes version of what Lowe said? Thanks, would be much appreciated.

Vic Petro
03-13-2017, 09:10 PM
Could someone give the Cliffs Notes version of what Lowe said? Thanks, would be much appreciated.

Just made a passing comment in the context of a conversation about whether or not NO should commit to Jrue Holiday as their PG. Basically Lowe says that the gap between Mills and the next best FA PG is so huge that NO can't bank on signing him, because if the Spurs have a "secret plan" that would take him off the market, NO would be left without a starting caliber PG. It was a hypothetical. Nothing to see here.

south side spur
03-13-2017, 09:13 PM
They can't pay everyone. If Jawun Evans is there when the Spurs pick in the draft, as he's currently projected, draft him. Dedmon should be the top priority in free agency.

cutewizard
03-13-2017, 10:26 PM
hmmmmmmmm

offset formation
03-14-2017, 07:13 AM
They can't pay everyone. If Jawun Evans is there when the Spurs pick in the draft, as he's currently projected, draft him. Dedmon should be the top priority in free agency.

You could easily do an escalator on their contracts after next year when Parker''s contract comes off the books. Smaller amount next year, bigger amounts the following years. I think he'd like to stay but for the potential to start somewhere else.

Otherwise I think he'd like to stay.

Chinook
03-14-2017, 07:17 AM
You could easily do an escalator on their contracts after next year when Parker''s contract comes off the books.

You actually can't do that in the NBA. Mills can only see his salary increase by eight percent from one year to another.

kaji157
03-14-2017, 09:21 AM
You actually can't do that in the NBA. Mills can only see his salary increase by eight percent from one year to another.

Can we offer him a Boban like contract?

181. Boban Marjanovic $5,628,000 $5,881,260 $9,490,740

cjw
03-14-2017, 09:30 AM

No, Patty's been in the league too many years. That tactic only works with guys who are RFAs in outer years.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-14-2017, 09:31 AM
The conversation was more about New Orleans than the Spurs. Lowe was just throwing out scenario if Holiday left NOP and said they may be out of luck because no top FA PG is going to New Orleans and the next best PG may be Mills who might already have a deal in place.

Chinook
03-14-2017, 09:35 AM

No, Patty's been in the league too many years. That tactic only works with guys who are RFAs in outer years.

Plus, a team can't offer their own player that contract. That is the result of a CBA quirk with the Areans RFA provision.

Mr. Body
03-14-2017, 09:35 AM
I think it's more likely there's a plan with Gasol.

Chinook
03-14-2017, 09:38 AM
The conversation was more about New Orleans than the Spurs. Lowe was just throwing out scenario if Holiday left NOP and said they may be out of luck because no top FA PG is going to New Orleans and the next best PG may be Mills who might already have a deal in place.

This is true. I'm not a huge fan of assigning extra meaning to Lowe's musings. The dude speculates like everyone else. He's not Woj where you can assume he would know what GMs were thinking. Lowe's an analyst first. I doubt he knows anything about the negotiations between Mills' agent and the team. And I even doubt that they'd have something worked out. At best, the Spurs have given their offer, which Mills' agent will use to shop around in July.

coachmac87
03-14-2017, 09:45 AM
Ok but is he going to be our starter? Are the Spurs gonna pay him starting PG money? You'd think there might be a team that may be willing to do and if I'm Mills agent I've gotta find out. Let another team set your value and then go to Spurs and see where things stand.

I know some don't like the idea of this but I've heard Spurs will kick the tires on CP3. Do you do that and have the risk of Mills walk?

south side spur
03-14-2017, 10:14 AM
I know some don't like the idea of this but I've heard Spurs will kick the tires on CP3. Do you do that and have the risk of Mills walk?

I guess if it's a choice between the two you obviously have to choose Paul. Pop has already told Murray that Paul is one player to study from so bringing him on allows Murray more time to develop on the bench.

Instead of trying to figure out how to sign Paul and what to do with Parker I think drafting Evans makes more sense. He'd be cheaper than any other option that actually improves the point guard position. His offensive game is just as explosive as Mills' and many experts believe he has the potential to be one of the best in the league. Of course this is contingent on Evans dropping to the Spurs.

kaji157
03-14-2017, 10:17 AM
Ok but is he going to be our starter? Are the Spurs gonna pay him starting PG money? You'd think there might be a team that may be willing to do and if I'm Mills agent I've gotta find out. Let another team set your value and then go to Spurs and see where things stand.

I think the scenario has changed a bit.
Tony has not been closing as many games as before and is having a lot of trouble to stay out of the injuried list.
It will come as a surprise of he retired, but it's now a possibility. He is losing his health along with his minutes.
Also there is Gasol, who probably has an understanding with the FO, he can retire (unlikely) and either pick the option our not. He can pick his option but he can also decline and accept a 2/20 or 3/30 million contract that would be very friendly with the new cba.
Last but not least you have Mills, he can be resigned for the cheap with a promise that his payday will come, he has no reasons to doubt as he saw how the organization honored this kind of commitments before his eyes.

sasaint
03-14-2017, 10:20 AM
I guess if it's a choice between the two you obviously have to choose Paul. Pop has already told Murray that Paul is one player to study from so bringing him on allows Murray more time to develop on the bench.

Instead of trying to figure out how to sign Paul and what to do with Parker I think drafting Evans makes more sense. He'd be cheaper than any other option that actually improves the point guard position. His offensive game is just as explosive as Mills' and many experts believe he has the potential to be one of the best in the league. Of course this is contingent on Evans dropping to the Spurs.

Paul will command $ that will price him out of range for the Spurs.

kaji157
03-14-2017, 10:30 AM

I agree. But it seems like Paul and Pop have some kind of mutual respect. It would not surprise me if he makes an effort to be a Spur.
Of course in order to have a chance at Paul we need to destroy the Clippers in the playoffs. (Or them to be destroyed before us)

Ice009
03-14-2017, 10:35 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'd be interested in paying Paul max type of money, or trying to clear space to do it. Even though he is skilled and doesn't rely on athleticism, I'm still not sure I'd want to clear the roster to get him. I assume the Spurs would have to do a lot of roster manipulation to get him?

I agree. But it seems like Paul and Pop have some kind of mutual respect. It would not surprise me if he makes an effort to be a Spur.
Of course in order to have a chance at Paul we need to destroy the Clippers in the playoffs. (Or them to be destroyed before us)

True. If the Spurs want him, then they can't go letting what happened against OKC last playoffs happen should the two teams meet.

sasaint
03-14-2017, 10:40 AM
Tony has not been closing as many games as before and is having a lot of trouble to stay out of the injuried list.
It will come as a surprise of he retired, but it's now a possibility. He is losing his health along with his minutes.
Also there is Gasol, who probably has an understanding with the FO, he can retire (unlikely) and either pick the option our not. He can pick his option but he can also decline and accept a 2/20 or 3/30 million contract that would be very friendly with the new cba.
Last but not least you have Mills, he can be resigned for the cheap with a promise that his payday will come, he has no reasons to doubt as he saw how the organization honored this kind of commitments before his eyes.

Yes, Tony has become a real joker in the deck. His injuries/losing his "closer" status make it much more difficult to predict his future than it was at the start of the year. I still don't see him leaving $15MM on the table, but perhaps there are other possibilities.

sasaint
03-14-2017, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure if I'd be interested in paying Paul max type of money, or trying to clear space to do it. Even though he is skilled and doesn't rely on athleticism, I'm still not sure I'd want to clear the roster to get him. I assume the Spurs would have to do a lot of roster manipulation to get him?

True. If the Spurs want him, then they can't go letting what happened against OKC last playoffs happen should the two teams meet.

I think the Spurs would have to make more drastic cuts/moves to sign Paul than the Dubs made to accommodate Durant. But we would have to consult somebody like Chinook to get a more precise analysis.

Chinook
03-14-2017, 10:51 AM
I think the Spurs would have to make more drastic cuts/moves to sign Paul than the Dubs made to accommodate Durant. But we would have to consult somebody like Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) to get a more precise analysis.

Spit-balling here, but something like moving Tony and Pau for little return and not bringing back Mills and Dedmon would probably do it. Dunno if you consider that more or less extreme than what GS did.

TXstbobcat
03-14-2017, 10:59 AM

I don't think there's a chance in hell that Tony will retire and leave $15 million on the table. His expiring contract will be a tradable asset next season but I seriously doubt that the Spurs would trade Tony.

There is not a chance in hell that Mills signs a cheap contract with the promise of more later. This is his first and it might be his only chance to cash in on my gigantic NBA contract. Other teams are probably going to throw offers of 10 to 13 million per year and there is no chance that he leaves an offer like that on the table.

I do think that there is a possibility that Pau will opt out of the final year of his contract with the understanding that he would sign a longer-term deal in the range of three years $30 million. This would clear additional Space for the off-season but I think the Spurs are going to have to make a decision to either sign Mills or Dedmen in the off-season as they cannot afford to keep both.

TXstbobcat
03-14-2017, 11:01 AM

Not that he can't change his mind in the off-season but didn't Paul already announced his intention to sign a five-year max contract extension with the clippers?

coachmac87
03-14-2017, 11:07 AM
I think the Spurs would have to make more drastic cuts/moves to sign Paul than the Dubs made to accommodate Durant. But we would have to consult somebody like Chinook to get a more precise analysis.

First of all we do not know what type of $$ Paul would want..he could take less to get a ring either here or somewhere else..

Also I wouldn't be interested about CP3 if Woj wasn't the source who started this whole thing in the summer or beginning of year not sure. I think there's something to it but I've always been curious how things would shake out with Parker and rest of our roster.

Chinook
03-14-2017, 11:28 AM
Since I was asked, here's a more-exact breakdown of what signing Paul would entail. According to this article by USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/07/07/nba-salary-cap-projections-lebron-james/86808464/), the cap is projected to be $102 Million and the max for a player with 10 or more years of experience is $33.5 Million. The Spurs won't have more than like $13 Million in cap space this summer naturally, but they could create quite a bit more by dumping Parker and Gasol and by letting everyone but Simmons (because they're really not saving money but not tendering him) walk.

This is what they'd be looking at:

Name
2017-18

LaMarcus Aldridge
$21,461,010

Kawhi Leonard
$18,868,625

Danny Green
$10,000,000

Tim Duncan (stretched)
$1,881,250

Kyle Anderson
$2,151,704

Dejounte Murray
$1,312,611

Livio Jean-Charles (waived)
$1,035,200

Jonathan Simmons (QO)
$1,676,735

Davis Bertans
$1,312,611

Bryn Forbes
$1,312,611

First-Rounder
$1,697,225

Milutinov
$1,832,075

Roster Charge
$815,615

Roster Charge
$815,615

Calculated Total
$66,172,887

Projected Cap
$102,000,000

Projected Cap Space
$35,827,113

Cap Space After Paul
$2,327,113

So they'd have enough money to maybe since someone half-decent and still have the room MLE, which due to the new CBA will be about the size of the current MLE. But they'd have a lot of holes, as this roster breakdown shows:

Paul, Murray
Green, Simmons, Forbes
Leonard, Anderson
Aldridge, Bertans
Milutinov

You'd have to hope Lee would come back for one of those two salary slots, while they could get a guard to take the other. Stashing Nikola for another year and moving on from Simmons would make like another $1.5 Million, which may or may not make a difference. But I think the key will be cheap labor, which is why I wouldn't really even think of stashing the pick. Ideally, you sign some guys then S&T Simmons for another rotation player, but that's a shit-ton of trading away for one summer.

tl;dr: It's possible to get Paul/Lowry/Hill depending on how easy it would be to move Pau and Tony, and how willing they are to start over (relatively speaking) for a third summer in a row. If Paul or Lowry were willing to give up enough money to have the Spurs re-sign Dedmon, that would go a long way toward making the move worth it.

Lowry, Murray, min guy, rookie
Green, cheap guard, Forbes
Leonard, Simmons, pick
Aldridge, Bertans, Anderson
Dedmon, Lee, Milutinov, rookie

Could see that as the basis for a contending roster.

TXstbobcat
03-14-2017, 11:28 AM
First of all we do not know what type of $$ Paul would want..he could take less to get a ring either here or somewhere else..

Also I wouldn't be interested about CP3 if Woj wasn't the source who started this whole thing in the summer or beginning of year not sure. I think there's something to it but I've always been curious how things would shake out with Parker and rest of our roster.

He would be leaving $16.2 million on the table by opting out. 3 years $30 million could entice him to opt out and would help the Spurs out this offseason.

coachmac87
03-14-2017, 11:31 AM
He would be leaving $16.2 million on the table by opting out. 3 years $30 million could entice him to opt out and would help the Spurs out this offseason.

I'm talking about Chris Paul..are you referring to Pau? Lol

sasaint
03-14-2017, 11:34 AM
Not that he can't change his mind in the off-season but didn't Paul already announced his intention to sign a five-year max contract extension with the clippers?

Yes. I don't have a link, but a quick Google search should confirm this without much effort.

Chinook
03-14-2017, 11:37 AM
Yes. I don't have a link, but a quick Google search should confirm this without much effort.

To be completely accurate, he hasn't said that publicly. There's just a report out that he has agreed verbally with the club. If they stumble down the ladder and end up being wasted in the first round, I think both the players and the team may be wary of bringing back the band again.

coachmac87
03-14-2017, 11:50 AM
To be completely accurate, he hasn't said that publicly. There's just a report out that he has agreed verbally with the club. If they stumble down the ladder and end up being wasted in the first round, I think both the players and the team may be wary of bringing back the band again.

If Woj didn't report it..,really doesn't mean shit tbh. Ask Mark Cuban how reliable "verbal agreements" are lol

Chinook
03-14-2017, 11:52 AM
If Woj didn't report it..,really doesn't mean shit tbh. Ask Mark Cuban how reliable "verbal agreements" are lol

http://66.media.tumblr.com/c7710a713d0bcff24767e87fd5a64994/tumblr_o50yitfUzJ1r4fk9jo4_250.gif

sasaint
03-14-2017, 12:11 PM
I don't think there's a chance in hell that Tony will retire and leave $15 million on the table. His expiring contract will be a tradable asset next season but I seriously doubt that the Spurs would trade Tony.

There is not a chance in hell that Mills signs a cheap contract with the promise of more later. This is his first and it might be his only chance to cash in on my gigantic NBA contract. Other teams are probably going to throw offers of 10 to 13 million per year and there is no chance that he leaves an offer like that on the table.

I do think that there is a possibility that Pau will opt out of the final year of his contract with the understanding that he would sign a longer-term deal in the range of three years $30 million. This would clear additional Space for the off-season but I think the Spurs are going to have to make a decision to either sign Mills or Dedmen in the off-season as they cannot afford to keep both.

With respect to Tony: I think his injuries/loss of "closer" status makes it more conceivable to move him than it once was.
With respect to Patty: You nailed it.
With respect to Pau: Depending on whether Pau adapts to his (bench?) role, how well he likes SA, and how much longer he plans to play - yeah, I could see his opting out and re-signing to clear up space to sign a good player.

south side spur
03-14-2017, 12:15 PM

Yeah, I was just stating if that was the choice it's obvious. What I'm hoping happens is that the franchise continues to get younger. It's Kawhi's team now and that's the way it should be moving forward. Any player brought in from now on should realize that Kawhis the leader and you must fall in line.

Bringing in a Chris Paul makes that more difficult as I'm sure he's not the fall in line type. Not only that but I agree that he would be too expensive and even if it's possible to sign Paul I don't think that should be the direction the Spurs go.

TXstbobcat
03-14-2017, 12:35 PM
I'm talking about Chris Paul..are you referring to Pau? Lol

Yeah, I have to brush up on my reading skills. :lol

As as far as Paul, I think that he already stated that he intends to sign a 5 year max deal with the Clippers.

Chinook
03-14-2017, 12:48 PM
If Manu leaves, I think it's possible Tony could be traded, just as the last piece of the old guard and the need to start the new one. The sad thing is that there's no available PG in their mid-20s to do that with besides Jrue, and he's too risky for such an ambitious plan. I've thrown in my hat for Lowry, and if Toronto pulls a Clippers and gets dusted as a five-seed or something like that, I could see him on the market for something starting in the low-20s or mid-20s. That would make it possible to keep Dedmon (or Mills for some reason) or perhaps to refinance Pau.

Mr. Body
03-14-2017, 01:03 PM
I see no way in hell Tony Parker gets traded. That's not how this front office works and will ever work. The big three retire as Spurs.

SpursFan86
03-14-2017, 01:10 PM
I see no way in hell Tony Parker gets traded. That's not how this front office works and will ever work. The big three retire as Spurs.

Agreed. As much as I'd love to get rid of that contract, I would be absolutely stunned if they did so. Can't see it happening.

apalisoc_9
03-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Tony is still valuable as 15mpg kinda guy. As a role player with limited minutes. I dobt want to keep him but the market next year is scarce.

kaji157
03-14-2017, 01:54 PM
If Manu leaves, I think it's possible Tony could be traded, just as the last piece of the old guard and the need to start the new one. The sad thing is that there's no available PG in their mid-20s to do that with besides Jrue, and he's too risky for such an ambitious plan. I've thrown in my hat for Lowry, and if Toronto pulls a Clippers and gets dusted as a five-seed or something like that, I could see him on the market for something starting in the low-20s or mid-20s. That would make it possible to keep Dedmon (or Mills for some reason) or perhaps to refinance Pau.

I never suggested Tony to be traded. Just that maybe, without Manu and with his health issues he doesn't want to continue playing.
If that's the case he can just cash his contract and we can stretch it.
That move will be as good as a trade considering you don't need to bring anyone for him.
About Paul i don't think he is impossible, but he is a long shot. The player i feel the spurs would like to target (if Tony is gone) is George Hill. For obvious Spurs kind of reasons.

coachmac87
03-14-2017, 02:01 PM
Agreed. As much as I'd love to get rid of that contract, I would be absolutely stunned if they did so. Can't see it happening.

Duncan and Manu were are and still productive in their roles...Parker hasn't been at all tbh. And it's not even about the production as much it is about availability..It's nagging injury after another..

coachmac87
03-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Could the Spurs offer CP3 4yrs/100M and get away with it?

How would that stack up against LAC offer?

Chinook
03-14-2017, 02:19 PM
Could the Spurs offer CP3 4yrs/100M and get away with it?

How would that stack up against LAC offer?

The Clips could offer $194M/5, so yeah.

sananspursfan21
03-14-2017, 02:20 PM
Lol at everyone that says Mills is garbage. A backup PG that can ignite at any moment is golden around the league.

sasaint
03-14-2017, 02:30 PM

It has been virtually inconceivable that the Spurs would trade Tony - practically since The Kidd episode. But Tony has become very unreliable. He is constantly plagued by injuries. Even when he plays, he is only effective about half the time at best, and even then he has lost his role as PG closer. It is more conceivable than ever that the Spurs would trade Tony.

DAF86
03-14-2017, 03:21 PM
Since I was asked, here's a more-exact breakdown of what signing Paul would entail. According to this article by USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/07/07/nba-salary-cap-projections-lebron-james/86808464/), the cap is projected to be $102 Million and the max for a player with 10 or more years of experience is $33.5 Million. The Spurs won't have more than like $13 Million in cap space this summer naturally, but they could create quite a bit more by dumping Parker and Gasol and by letting everyone but Simmons (because they're really not saving money but not tendering him) walk.

This is what they'd be looking at:

Name
2017-18

LaMarcus Aldridge
$21,461,010

Kawhi Leonard
$18,868,625

Danny Green
$10,000,000

Tim Duncan (stretched)
$1,881,250

Kyle Anderson
$2,151,704

Dejounte Murray
$1,312,611

Livio Jean-Charles (waived)
$1,035,200

Jonathan Simmons (QO)
$1,676,735

Davis Bertans
$1,312,611

Bryn Forbes
$1,312,611

First-Rounder
$1,697,225

Milutinov
$1,832,075

Roster Charge
$815,615

Roster Charge
$815,615

Calculated Total
$66,172,887

Projected Cap
$102,000,000

Projected Cap Space
$35,827,113

Cap Space After Paul
$2,327,113

So they'd have enough money to maybe since someone half-decent and still have the room MLE, which due to the new CBA will be about the size of the current MLE. But they'd have a lot of holes, as this roster breakdown shows:

Paul, Murray
Green, Simmons, Forbes
Leonard, Anderson
Aldridge, Bertans
Milutinov

You'd have to hope Lee would come back for one of those two salary slots, while they could get a guard to take the other. Stashing Nikola for another year and moving on from Simmons would make like another $1.5 Million, which may or may not make a difference. But I think the key will be cheap labor, which is why I wouldn't really even think of stashing the pick. Ideally, you sign some guys then S&T Simmons for another rotation player, but that's a shit-ton of trading away for one summer.

tl;dr: It's possible to get Paul/Lowry/Hill depending on how easy it would be to move Pau and Tony, and how willing they are to start over (relatively speaking) for a third summer in a row. If Paul or Lowry were willing to give up enough money to have the Spurs re-sign Dedmon, that would go a long way toward making the move worth it.

Lowry, Murray, min guy, rookie
Green, cheap guard, Forbes
Leonard, Simmons, pick
Aldridge, Bertans, Anderson
Dedmon, Lee, Milutinov, rookie

Could see that as the basis for a contending roster.

Damn, I would love to get Lowry. Pipe dream though, we are stuck with Parker.

offset formation
03-14-2017, 03:58 PM

Well Furk!

Can Tony's contract be reworked (lengthened) so as to spread out that hit for next year?

Thanks for the clarification, btw.

coachmac87
03-14-2017, 04:54 PM
The Clips could offer $194M/5, so yeah.

Wait what?? LMAO

I mean I don't know the numbers like you obviously do... What would be a reasonable discount deal the Spurs could offer that wouldn't gut us like GSW?

BatManu20
03-14-2017, 05:00 PM
Patty is getting paid this offseason, and it's not going to be by the Spurs, tbh.

TD 21
03-14-2017, 05:48 PM
- Paul isn't leaving $94M, an extra year, Los Angeles and a Griffin, Jordan, Redick core (and say what you want about Rivers, but he sure as hell beats Simmons and Anderson) to join a Leonard, Aldridge, Green core, without a viable starting center option or single other proven commodity

- I'd want to pay Lowry an exorbitant amount even less than I'd want to do so for Paul

- The Spurs are probably going to look similar next season, which means the only real upside to this team will be Murray. Him being a significant player sooner than later is the only thing that can boost this team's ceiling in any meaningful way, but expectations should be tempered

Why a fan base, who's gotten to witness probably the best 6th man of all-time, is so obsessed with starting, I'll never know.

Mills damn near splits minutes with Parker, including closing duties in close games and since the latter can't stay healthy for more than a few weeks at a time, he has plenty of opportunities to play significantly more and he gets to do that on a perennial top 2 (regular season, at least) team in the league.

If the gap in money is significant, that's one thing, but things being even close to equal, how's he going to beat that? I think he's intelligent and mature enough to not go to a clear cut worse situation just so that he has a greater opportunity to hear his name called in the starting lineup and average a few more mpg.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-14-2017, 07:15 PM

Why not? This isn't the NFL with its stupid hard cap. You can always overspend to re-sign your own and just be limited to vet min contracts and the MLE outside of that.

south side spur
03-14-2017, 07:50 PM
Why not? This isn't the NFL with its stupid hard cap. You can always overspend to re-sign your own and just be limited to vet min contracts and the MLE outside of that.

I hear you I just feel Evans is a better younger player that could be had for much cheaper.

sasaint
03-14-2017, 08:01 PM
- Paul isn't leaving $94M, an extra year, Los Angeles and a Griffin, Jordan, Redick core (and say what you want about Rivers, but he sure as hell beats Simmons and Anderson) to join a Leonard, Aldridge, Green core, without a viable starting center option or single other proven commodity

- I'd want to pay Lowry an exorbitant amount even less than I'd want to do so for Paul

- The Spurs are probably going to look similar next season, which means the only real upside to this team will be Murray. Him being a significant player sooner than later is the only thing that can boost this team's ceiling in any meaningful way, but expectations should be tempered

Why a fan base, who's gotten to witness probably the best 6th man of all-time, is so obsessed with starting, I'll never know.

Mills damn near splits minutes with Parker, including closing duties in close games and since the latter can't stay healthy for more than a few weeks at a time, he has plenty of opportunities to play significantly more and he gets to do that on a perennial top 2 (regular season, at least) team in the league.

If the gap in money is significant, that's one thing, but things being even close to equal, how's he going to beat that? I think he's intelligent and mature enough to not go to a clear cut worse situation just so that he has a greater opportunity to hear his name called in the starting lineup and average a few more mpg.

Near perfect post. :tu

Internal improvement and possibly some gem-in-the-rough or reclamation project. Internal improvement must come from Murray, and probably could come from Kyle and Bertans. Simmons is gone, so a low salary replacement there could break into the rotation. Hopefully we will not need a Patty replacement.

CGD
03-14-2017, 09:51 PM
I'm thinking we see mostly the same roster next, unless we have a really shitty showing in the playoffs. If that's the case, there should be more fundamental changes than just moving Parker or Pau, to include exploring options for LMA and Green since in my view either of their respective values won't be higher any time between the end of this season to the end of their contracts.

gambit1990
03-22-2017, 06:38 PM
i don't think the spurs trade parker because manu retires. i think the spurs would drop parker if they could get cp3. i only bring this up because cp3 would mean no more patty.

knicks will need a PG. they gotta throw money at patty? hopefully they'd be willing to take parker. parker would like new york/the limelight. brings championship experience.

buttsR4rebounding
03-23-2017, 01:16 PM

He'll just Deandre them.

rjv
03-23-2017, 01:19 PM
what 2 guards will be available this summer?

TD 21
03-23-2017, 03:34 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/meet-the-verticals-jerome-james-all-stars-174545337.html

Patty Mills

Teams are split on what Mills is: a true point guard or a scoring guard better suited to coming off the bench. He's a perfect Spur: a durable, steady, low-turnover player who improves every year and has been a valuable backup to Tony Parker. At 28, Mills' time is now. Expect a few teams to offer him the opportunity to start - and the money to go with it.

The next contract: Three years, $36 million, comparable to the Nets' Jeremy Lin.

San Antonio will have Mills' Bird-rights and can exceed the cap to re-sign him, but that will likely come at a significant cost.

I don't see why that contract would dissuade them. Just offer 4/$40 M, with the 4th year partially guaranteed (say $5 M).

dabom
03-23-2017, 03:45 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/meet-the-verticals-jerome-james-all-stars-174545337.html

Patty Mills

Teams are split on what Mills is: a true point guard or a scoring guard better suited to coming off the bench. He's a perfect Spur: a durable, steady, low-turnover player who improves every year and has been a valuable backup to Tony Parker. At 28, Mills' time is now. Expect a few teams to offer him the opportunity to start - and the money to go with it.

The next contract: Three years, $36 million, comparable to the Nets' Jeremy Lin.

San Antonio will have Mills' Bird-rights and can exceed the cap to re-sign him, but that will likely come at a significant cost.

I don't see why that contract would dissuade them. Just offer 4/$40 M, with the 4th year partially guaranteed (say $5 M).

That's too low.

TD 21
03-23-2017, 03:59 PM
That's too low.

Almost everyone thought it would be for Green too.

It's essentially semantics anyway. In my scenario, Mills would be guaranteed $1M less, with the possibility to make $4M more than their guestimate, it would just be spread over 4 years, to lower the AAV (average annual value) and keep the cap sheet cleaner.

As an aside, I'm skeptical that they'll be willing to lose Mills and exceed the MLE (starting at $8.4M) to retain Dedmon.

dabom
03-23-2017, 04:02 PM
Almost everyone thought it would be for Green too.

It's essentially semantics anyway. In my scenario, Mills would be guaranteed $1M less, with the possibility to make $4M more than their guestimate, it would just be spread over 4 years, to lower the AAV (average annual value) and keep the cap sheet cleaner.

As an aside, I'm skeptical that they'll be willing to lose Mills and exceed the MLE (starting at $8.4M) to retain Dedmon.

Yeah but it was in relation to the cap. The cap went up like from 67mil to like 105mil. And it's going to continue to grow steadily over time. Other teams can easily throw more. Way more. The Spurs still have to be in the ball park.

TD 21
03-23-2017, 04:07 PM
Yeah but it was in relation to the cap. The cap went up like from 67mil to like 105mil. And it's going to continue to grow steadily over time. Other teams can easily throw more. Way more. The Spurs still have to be in the ball park.

I know, but Green still reportedly received offers for 4/$60M. In this scenario, Mills would take at worst $1M less over the life of the contract and at best $4M more. Having some security in a 4th year could also be appealing, considering he turns 29 this year and is a pint sized, speed reliant guard.

After this year, the cap is supposedly going to more or less flatten out.

Anyway, the point is, if that's about what he gets offered elsewhere, I'd be surprised if he's not re-signed.

DPG21920
03-23-2017, 04:09 PM
If he views himself as a starter (which he has said) and other teams view him as a starter (which some apparently do) he will land a sizeable deal at 12-14M per year.

Spurs should not pay him that IMO as he is not the answer to the starting PG needs.

TD 21
03-23-2017, 04:14 PM
If he views himself as a starter (which he has said) and other teams view him as a starter (which some apparently do) he will land a sizeable deal at 12-14M per year.

Spurs should not pay him that IMO as he is not the answer to the starting PG needs.

:lmao How was he supposed to answer a question about wanting to start? Virtually every player would like to start if they had their druthers, but don't conflate that with his willing to go to some bottom feeder just because of that. The only way I could see him doing that is, if the difference in money is astronomical.

If the Spurs get even close, he probably stays, since he essentially splits the position with Parker anyway.

No one is turning him into a 32-34 mpg player, so what are we talking about here? Probably a 5 mpg increase at the absolute most.

Let Mills walk.

Back court will look something like this: IMO

PG: Parker/ Murray/ vet PG for minimum)/ Forbes ( I think Murray will start by AS break)
SG: Green/ Rookie or Simmons (1+1 deal)/ Hanga
SF: Kawhi/ Kyle/ Rookie

Barring a quantum leap from Murray, they'd be hard pressed to get out of the 1st round with that perimeter rotation.

MaNu4Tres
03-23-2017, 04:16 PM

Let Mills walk.

Back court will look something like this: IMO

PG: Parker/ Murray/ vet PG for minimum)/ Forbes ( I think Murray will start by AS break)
SG: Green/ Rookie or Simmons (1+1 deal) or a vet like Korver / Hanga
SF: Kawhi/ Kyle/ Rookie

03-23-2017, 04:18 PM
yeah paying porker 15M per is the much more reasonable option

dabom
03-23-2017, 04:23 PM
:lol

MaNu4Tres
03-23-2017, 04:24 PM
:lmao How was he supposed to answer a question about wanting to start? Virtually every player would like to start if they had their druthers, but don't conflate that with his willing to go to some bottom feeder just because of that. The only way I could see him doing that is, if the difference in money is astronomical.

If the Spurs get even close, he probably stays, since he essentially splits the position with Parker anyway.

No one is turning him into a 32-34 mpg player, so what are we talking about here? Probably a 5 mpg increase at the absolute most.

Barring a quantum leap from Murray, they'd be hard pressed to get out of the 1st round with that perimeter rotation.

They'll be hard pressed to get out of the 1st round as is anyway. Mills isn't changing the reality of the team. Spurs are who they are, they aren't a top contender even if their record suggest otherwise ( the league is so damn watered down its hard to tell).

They need throw Murray in the fire much like they did Parker in 01' to expedite his growth and the teams' growth. I see next year as a transitioning year much like 02-03' was from the start.

DPG21920
03-23-2017, 04:25 PM

What's funny? Im not passing judgement (other than I personally don't think he's a starting caliber guard on a good team) just stating the facts of what Mills has said and other GM's. That's it.

dabom
03-23-2017, 04:26 PM
They'll be hard pressed to get out of the 1st round as is anyway. Mills isn't changing the reality of the team. Spurs are who they are, they aren't a top contender even if their record suggest otherwise ( the league is so damn watered down its hard to tell).

They need throw Murray in the fire much like they did Parker in 01' to expedite his growth and the teams' growth. I see next year as a transitioning year much like 02-03' was from the start.

Stop being a delusional faggot. :lmao

Some of ya. :lol

dabom
03-23-2017, 04:27 PM
What's funny? Im not passing judgement (other than I personally don't think he's a starting caliber guard on a good team) just stating the facts of what Mills has said and other GM's. That's it.

By bringing it up every fucking time, you're making it seem like that's all he cares about dude. :lmao

DPG21920
03-23-2017, 04:28 PM
By bringing it up every fucking time, you're making it seem like that's all he cares about dude. :lmao

It's what he said and it's notable as a guy who has not been a starter and is behind a Spurs legend still under contract. It's the most relevant thing to discuss regarding Mills pending free agency variables

dabom
03-23-2017, 04:36 PM
It's what he said and it's notable as a guy who has not been a starter and is behind a Spurs legend still under contract. It's the most relevant thing to discuss regarding Mills pending free agency variables

You ever hear "making a mountain out of a molehill"? :lol

Yeah it's a variable. But you're letting it dictate everything else. :lol

DPG21920
03-23-2017, 04:39 PM
You ever hear "making a mountain out of a molehill"? :lol

Yeah it's a variable. But you're letting it dictate everything else. :lol

What else do we have to go on? I'm not saying it means it will be the only thing considered. I'm saying it has to be discussed and/or taken into context every single time Mills FA is discussed.

Does it mean that there is no way he signs with SA? No. But for a guy who is the ultimate teammate to come right out and say "I want the opportunity to start" in the context of being asked about his looming free agency is stands out. You even see that being discussed in every article about him and how GM's view him as well.

TD 21
03-23-2017, 04:52 PM

If they re-sign Mills and Dedmon, they'll be favorites to get out of the 1st round. Those two (because they're the pending UFA's) could be the difference between making the WCF and being bounced in the 1st round.

As we've discussed ad nauseam, they can still throw Murray in the fire, especially considering how limited they'd be financially if Mills and Dedmon were re-signed. Simmons or some comparable and either a rookie or veteran's minimum type would be the competition.

I think you're taking it too literally and have also taken it out of context some. He didn't up and say it; it was in response to a question about it and he gave the expected, cliché response.

:lmao At any team that views him as a starter.

TheDoctor
03-23-2017, 05:17 PM

Phatty is NOT a future HoF tho'.

4/40 or GTFO tbh

DPG21920
03-23-2017, 05:34 PM
If they re-sign Mills and Dedmon, they'll be favorites to get out of the 1st round. Those two (because they're the pending UFA's) could be the difference between making the WCF and being bounced in the 1st round.

As we've discussed ad nauseam, they can still throw Murray in the fire, especially considering how limited they'd be financially if Mills and Dedmon were re-signed. Simmons or some comparable and either a rookie or veteran's minimum type would be the competition.

I think you're taking it too literally and have also taken it out of context some. He didn't up and say it; it was in response to a question about it and he gave the expected, cliché response.

:lmao At any team that views him as a starter.

Multiple credible writers have said GMs told them they view Mills as a starter.

Seventyniner
03-23-2017, 07:00 PM

Yeah, Mills is good enough to start for a bottom feeder. But not many teams have playmaker at the 2 or 3 to make up for it.

CGD
03-23-2017, 07:52 PM
Get your money Paddy!

TD 21
03-23-2017, 10:09 PM

I know. I wasn't questioning the veracity, but rather how ridiculous it is that any of them would.

rastaspur
03-24-2017, 12:13 AM
Yeah, Mills is good enough to start for a bottom feeder. But not many teams have playmaker at the 2 or 3 to make up for it.

True. A team like houston could get 15 points a game out of him if they trotted him out as a starter.

SAGirl
05-01-2017, 04:47 PM
I am bumping this bc there is some discussion here about the offseason/CP3 etc... but I'd say Mills in a contract year has to make a compelling case for himself.