PDA

View Full Version : NBA: A perfect analogy of Yesterday's basketball greatness compared to Today's Basketball

apalisoc_9
03-13-2017, 10:03 PM
80's Basketball - is like the first mario game. It was awesome but compared to Today's mario games it pales in comparison. Today's mario is just miles better graphically, gameplaywise, story wise, etc.

Similarly today's players are just stronger, far more skilled, far more organized. Fact.

spurraider21
03-13-2017, 10:06 PM
mario 64 >

midnightpulp
03-13-2017, 10:30 PM
80's Basketball - is like the first mario game. It was awesome but compared to Today's mario games it pales in comparison. Today's mario is just miles better graphically, gameplaywise, story wise, etc.

Similarly today's players are just stronger, far more skilled, far more organized. Fact.

The first Mario pales in comparison to Super Mario 3, which came out 4 years later in 1990.

And Super Mario 3's gameplay is just as good as any 3D Mario.

Arcadian
03-13-2017, 10:47 PM
SMW > SMB3 > SMB

As for 3D, Galaxy 2 is the best (and actually has some 2D levels, plus...The Perfect Run).

Clipper Nation
03-14-2017, 09:08 AM
SMW > SMB3 > SMB
This. Even SMB2 is better than the original SMB.

As for 3D, Galaxy 2 is the best (and actually has some 2D levels, plus...The Perfect Run).
Tough to beat 64, but the Galaxy series was really good. 64 DS would have been the best 3D Mario game if not for the fact that you're forced to choose between two atrocious control styles (the D-pad or the wrist strap).

JamStone
03-14-2017, 10:07 AM
Far more skilled? You have players drafted and coming into the league without being able to dribble the basketball or shoot a free throw.

More organized? Teams are moving away from actual sets on offense. The playbook in Houston and OKC is "give the ball to Harden or Westbrook" and go. There's way less organization. There's uptempo chaos. There's push, drive, and kick. There's shoot 50 three pointers a game. It's moving away from organization. Moving back towards 80s Denver or Phoenix basketball. High octane, free flowing, uptempo. Less organization.

lefty
03-14-2017, 12:42 PM
Far more skilled? You have players drafted and coming into the league without being able to dribble the basketball or shoot a free throw.

More organized? Teams are moving away from actual sets on offense. The playbook in Houston and OKC is "give the ball to Harden or Westbrook" and go. There's way less organization. There's uptempo chaos. There's push, drive, and kick. There's shoot 50 three pointers a game. It's moving away from organization. Moving back towards 80s Denver or Phoenix basketball. High octane, free flowing, uptempo. Less organization.

:worthy:

lebomb
03-14-2017, 12:56 PM

Also, no mid range game in today basketball.......its jack a 3 or drive through traffic in the lane, force a shot, get fouled and free throws. I cant remember the last time I saw a 8-12ft jump shot in the NBA. Yeah, a three counts more than two, but ya have to make the mufauckus. I see niggas jackin 3's, hitting 4-17. :rolleyes

Today NBA :lmao

DMC
03-14-2017, 03:50 PM
The major difference is analytics have weeded out the dogmatic bullshit "eye test" crap, which is why the long two is more rare these days, and why scores are higher as a result.

Xevious
03-14-2017, 06:46 PM
So you're saying the NBA peaked in the mid 90's?

:lol Today's Mario

Splits
03-14-2017, 06:51 PM
If OP thinks this is a "perfect" analogy, he's an idiot.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/tbSGcxo9W40/hqdefault.jpg

spurraider21
03-14-2017, 07:05 PM
This. Even SMB2 is better than the original SMB.

Tough to beat 64, but the Galaxy series was really good. 64 DS would have been the best 3D Mario game if not for the fact that you're forced to choose between two atrocious control styles (the D-pad or the wrist strap).:lol kirby super star
:lol modern video games alienate me
:lol triggered by video games

DAF86
03-14-2017, 07:17 PM

As opposed to older years where everybody knew how to dribble and shoot free throws, right? :lol

Mikeanaro
03-14-2017, 07:21 PM

Agreed, after Mario 64 everything is a pile of shit.

03-14-2017, 07:36 PM

:lol

Arcadian
03-14-2017, 11:12 PM
Odyssey looks pretty good, tbh

SpursIndonesia
03-15-2017, 12:20 AM

The big men are more skilled nowadays (which goes along the way as being more pussy), but indeed there is less emphasis on finesse techniques rather than going hard with raw athleticism & strength.

ambchang
03-15-2017, 05:34 AM
The big men are more skilled nowadays (which goes along the way as being more pussy), but indeed there is less emphasis on finesse techniques rather than going hard with raw athleticism & strength.

Post game is a skill as well. That part of the game is all but gone.

lebomb
03-15-2017, 06:57 AM

:lmao ......... no fuggin way. Todays post against true posts Ewing, Shaq, Robinson, Hakeem, Sheed, Mourning??? :lmao is all I can do with that dumbass comment.

SpursIndonesia
03-15-2017, 07:44 AM
Post game is a skill as well. That part of the game is all but gone.

Agreed, but it's kinda hard to play in the post nowadays with the pussification of defensive rule in the league, tbh.

:lmao ......... no fuggin way. Todays post against true posts Ewing, Shaq, Robinson, Hakeem, Sheed, Mourning??? :lmao is all I can do with that dumbass comment.

I said more skilled, NOT more dominant, but i guess reading comprehension is a little bit on the hard side for an ignorant like you, buddy.

lefty
03-15-2017, 08:06 AM

Yes DeAndre Jordan and Dwert are super skilled :lmao

midnightpulp
03-15-2017, 08:13 AM

Isaiah Thomas a glorified BJ Armstrong?

lefty
03-15-2017, 08:22 AM
Isaiah Thomas a glorified BJ Armstrong?

Armstrong would average 20 and 9 in today's NBA tbh with the rules and all the open looks he would get, combined with no Jordan/Pippen around as he would take more shots.
He was also a better defender than today's Isaiah

:wow imagine if Mark Price or Prime A.Rauf played in today's NBA

lebomb
03-15-2017, 09:26 AM
Agreed, but it's kinda hard to play in the post nowadays with the pussification of defensive rule in the league, tbh.

I said more skilled, NOT more dominant, but i guess reading comprehension is a little bit on the hard side for an ignorant like you, buddy.

What good are skills against a dominant center. He can crossover dribble well, shoots well in practice,can jump through the ceiling, but gets killed by Shaq in the game. I dont understand your ignorance.

lebomb
03-15-2017, 09:27 AM
Armstrong would average 20 and 9 in today's NBA tbh with the rules and all the open looks he would get, combined with no Jordan/Pippen around as he would take more shots.
He was also a better defender than today's Isaiah

:wow imagine if Mark Price or Prime A.Rauf played in today's NBA

A prime Jordan would avg 45pts a game.

lebomb
03-15-2017, 09:30 AM
And players today have no mid range game. I put money on it, TODAYs players would brick almost half the 8-10ft jumpers they would try. Hell, if its not a forced layup through traffic they go after, the only other option is a 3.

lefty
03-15-2017, 09:54 AM
A prime Jordan would avg 45pts a game.
Because he would get more free throws and would mentally annihilate today's NBA mental midgets.
But his 3 pt shooting was meh tbh

lefty
03-15-2017, 09:55 AM
And players today have no mid range game. I put money on it, TODAYs players would brick almost half the 8-10ft jumpers they would try. Hell, if its not a forced layup through traffic they go after, the only other option is a 3.

This

lebomb
03-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Yes a 3 counts more than a 2, but I would take a 60% 2 over these chuckers that shoot 3-17 from 3pt land. My son is in AAU and I :lmao at these young kids that grab a rebound, dribble all the way through traffic and force up a bad shot at the basket. Next time down I :lmao again at these kids that run, cross over behind the back and jack a 3pt shot with not rebounders and the shit clanks off the rim.

Today Basketball :lmao

ambchang
03-15-2017, 10:33 AM

You forgot McHale, Barkley, Dantley, King, Aguirre, Kareem, Daugherty. Even wings like Pippen and Jordan got more post game than most of today's bigs.

People act like bigs couldn't shoot in the past, and then forgot there were players like Issel, Laimbeer, Ralph Sampson and the such. None of them were known as superstars back in the day, and the reason is because the rules back then do not need these perimeter oriented bigs.

lefty
03-15-2017, 10:49 AM
You forgot McHale, Barkley, Dantley, King, Aguirre, Kareem, Daugherty. Even wings like Pippen and Jordan got more post game than most of today's bigs.

People act like bigs couldn't shoot in the past, and then forgot there were players like Issel, Laimbeer, Ralph Sampson and the such. None of them were known as superstars back in the day, and the reason is because the rules back then do not need these perimeter oriented bigs.

Muh nigga

barbacoataco
03-15-2017, 03:17 PM
Rules are very different today. As far as today's athletes being better, that's mainly due to the rampant PED use in the NBA.

SpursIndonesia
03-15-2017, 07:58 PM

Porzingis, Jokic, Town, Embiid, Cousins, yeah you can pick & choose anyway you like it to make a case about it.

EDIT: And Antetokounmpo, damn i forget about him, unorthodox big, but a big none the less. Donkey Green, while not all that big, is damn skilled playing PF position.

What good are skills against a dominant center. He can crossover dribble well, shoots well in practice,can jump through the ceiling, but gets killed by Shaq in the game. I dont understand your ignorance.

I am not making any other case rather than saying today's big men are more skilled, on average -especially guys who are counted to be the focal point in the offense. They simply have to, since the game dictates it that way.

ViceCity86
03-15-2017, 11:36 PM

Played Mario 64 past week, got up to 96 stars. Groundbreaking video game, but outdated today. The camera angles on that game suck.

ViceCity86
03-15-2017, 11:39 PM
mario 64 >

Was released in 1996, like the 96 Bulls, they're outdated. Surprised if 96 Bulls could reach the Conference Finals in either Conference today, tbh.

ViceCity86
03-16-2017, 12:10 AM
Main Mario launch titles on home consoles.

NES- Super Mario Bros 1 2 3 and Lost Levels

SNES- Super Mario World 1 and 2 Yoshi Island

N64- Mario 64

Gamecube- Mario Sunshine

Wii- Galaxy 1&2. New SMB

Wii U- Super Mario 3D World. NSMBU and NSLU. Super Mario Maker

Favorite- Mario Galaxy 2
Least fave- SMB3- Great for it's time but unplayable now for me.
Most underrated- Super Mario Sunshine
Favorite collector- Super Mario All Stars SNES- includes Mario 1 2 3 & Lost levels.
Currently playing- Mario 64, Super Mario 3D world
Eager to play- Super Mario Maker
Can't wait- Super Mario Odyssey for Nintendo Switch
Favorite Mario Role playing game- Paper Mario TTYD :downspin:

djohn2oo8
03-16-2017, 09:22 AM
OP got his shit pushed in and then out and back in again.

Darth_Pelican
03-16-2017, 09:44 AM
Yesterday's NBA:

http://www.trendingtoplists.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/fbf066e4-e01e-499f-a042-f8bc08c8f879wallpaper_crop_north-1.jpeg

Today's NBA :cry http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/images/0/twitter_bird_blue.pnghttp://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/images/0/twitter_bird_blue.pnghttp://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/images/0/twitter_bird_blue.png

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2710458.1468460005!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/2016-espy-awards-show.jpg

03-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Yesterday's NBA:

http://www.trendingtoplists.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/fbf066e4-e01e-499f-a042-f8bc08c8f879wallpaper_crop_north-1.jpeg

:wow:wow:wow

ambchang
03-22-2017, 11:59 AM
Porzingis, Jokic, Town, Embiid, Cousins, yeah you can pick & choose anyway you like it to make a case about it.

EDIT: And Antetokounmpo, damn i forget about him, unorthodox big, but a big none the less. Donkey Green, while not all that big, is damn skilled playing PF position.

I am not making any other case rather than saying today's big men are more skilled, on average -especially guys who are counted to be the focal point in the offense. They simply have to, since the game dictates it that way.

You seem to equate perimeter skills with overall skills and that seems to be where we differ.

This notion that bigs of yesteryears are big lumbering dinosaurs is often exaggerated. Vlade Divac, Robert Horry, derrick Mckey, Detlef Schrmept, Charles Barkley, derrick Coleman and Shawn kemp all had perimeter skills. Magic and bird were 6'9" for crying out loud. Drexler and Pippen were 6'7".

Mchale, Shaq and Hakeem had low post skills that none of the current guys have. Even Robinson, who is known for having bad post up skills, or third tier players like tony seikaly and Dino radja have better low post moves than most players in today's game.

You seem to think that shooting threes is some unattainable skill but the fact is that the game rules just changed the way the game was played. Jordan went from a poor three point shooter to an above average one when threes became more prominent in the game. Players adapt.