PDA

View Full Version : How Many People Here Have Ever Actually Observed A "Safe Space" Or "Trigger Warning"

spurraider21
03-14-2017, 01:40 AM
I hear about this shit on a nightly basis... my old man's an avid fox news watcher, and I between O'Reilly, Hannity, and Carlson I hear the terms safe space and trigger warning thrown around at least 4 times every hour. I usually stick in my room, but can overhear what's being said on TV through the wall.

I personally attended UCLA, one of the most liberal campuses in the country, for 5 years (started Fall of 09, finished in 2014). I never heard either term used there. My younger cousin who I keep up with regularly is currently a poly-sci student at UCLA. He leans right politically, and has never encountered them either.

Just curious if you guys have personally experienced these at your local universities... not just hearing about them on the news, etc.

SnakeBoy
03-14-2017, 02:08 AM
I personally attended UCLA, one of the most liberal campuses in the country, for 5 years (started Fall of 09, finished in 2014)

I usually stick in my room, but can overhear what's being said on TV through the wall.

:lol

spurraider21
03-14-2017, 02:31 AM
excellent contribution to the thread. thank you

Quadzilla99
03-14-2017, 02:48 AM
Never heard of them graduated 3 years ago. Not much unrest at all about speakers or political nonsense.

I went to a huge campus and the speakers usually spoke on Saturdays so like 90,000 people would be at the football game, the rest at parties or as a guy whatever place the hot girls were and then maybe like 300 people would be listening to a campus speaker. Later I found out there were some campus arguments over speakers while i was at my school but I only found out by googling them years later. Of course in bizarro Fox News world the little speech and kerfuffle about it no one was even aware of was emblematic of the entire school even though 90-95% of us were unaware of it. I mean most if not all of us on a Saturday were living our lives as young, horny, drunk college kids like people iin the prime of their youth should be on a Saturday night in a college town

Quadzilla99
03-14-2017, 02:57 AM
Also of the 300 people many that attended weren't even students as people from nearby neighborhoods would come to hear the speakers

DMC
03-14-2017, 09:40 AM
OP out of college for 3 years, still lives with parents imo.

someone sling a meme up in here

spurraider21
03-14-2017, 09:55 AM
OP out of college for 3 years, still lives with parents imo.

someone sling a meme up in hereIn my last year of law school, amigo

DarrinS
03-14-2017, 03:37 PM
I graduated in 94, so we would've laughed our asses off at the notion of safe spaces and trigger warnings.

Spurminator
03-14-2017, 03:48 PM
So do the vast majority of current college students, despite what you may think about that notion's wide acceptance on campuses across the country.

Chucho
03-14-2017, 06:12 PM
The overwhelming majority of college students are products of public schooling and the harsh realities of no dumbfucks left behind. Overall, a huge percentage of those idiots aren't fit for schooling beyond what they are gifted. Only idiots that can't demonstrate simple ignorance of something they don't understand simply aren't for the real world.

Needing a safe space is just another sign of how fucking awful, selfish and self-absorbed our society is.

spurraider21
03-14-2017, 06:23 PM
So do the vast majority of current college students, despite what you may think about that notion's wide acceptance on campuses across the country.

The overwhelming majority of college students are products of public schooling and the harsh realities of no dumbfucks left behind. Overall, a huge percentage of those idiots aren't fit for schooling beyond what they are gifted. Only idiots that can't demonstrate simple ignorance of something they don't understand simply aren't for the real world.

Needing a safe space is just another sign of how fucking awful, selfish and self-absorbed our society is.where do you get your data from?

Chucho
03-14-2017, 06:36 PM
where do you get your data from?

What data am I citing, you tool? Private schools only make up like 10% or less of elementary and secondary school students. Are you trying to insinuate that the vast majority of college students are not from the 90% of the pool provided by public schools?!!

If that is not what you're insinuating, then what numerical percentage do you cite would be a fair definition of "overwhelming majority", because even if that 10% or so pool covers 30% or so, is 70% not an "overwhelming majority"?

Trying to split hairs on definition semantics on descriptive words to try and sling? LMAO.

spurraider21
03-14-2017, 06:39 PM
What data am I citing, you tool? Private schools only make up like 10% or less of elementary and secondary school students. Are you trying to insinuate that the vast majority of college students are not from the 90% of the pool provided by public schools?!!

If that is not what you're insinuating, then what numerical percentage do you cite would be a fair definition of "overwhelming majority", because even if that 10% or so pool covers 30% or so, is 70% not an "overwhelming majority"?

Trying to split hairs on definition semantics on descriptive words to try and sling? LMAO.
ok, how about this data

Needing a safe space is just another sign of how fucking awful, selfish and self-absorbed our society is.

Mitch
03-14-2017, 07:15 PM
I hear about this shit on a nightly basis... my old man's an avid fox news watcher, and I between O'Reilly, Hannity, and Carlson I hear the terms safe space and trigger warning thrown around at least 4 times every hour. I usually stick in my room, but can overhear what's being said on TV through the wall.

I personally attended UCLA, one of the most liberal campuses in the country, for 5 years (started Fall of 09, finished in 2014). I never heard either term used there. My younger cousin who I keep up with regularly is currently a poly-sci student at UCLA. He leans right politically, and has never encountered them either.

Just curious if you guys have personally experienced these at your local universities... not just hearing about them on the news, etc.

UCLA is moderate by California standards :lol

Liberal = Berkley, Santa Cruz, Mills, etc

Will Hunting
03-14-2017, 08:32 PM
Still haven't heard anyone ITT give an example of safe spaces or micro aggressions that they personally witnessed.

I agree with the OP that the whole safe space thing seems like something that was just made up by someone who claimed to see it first hand.

spurraider21
03-14-2017, 08:34 PM
Still haven't heard anyone ITT give an example of safe spaces or micro aggressions that they personally witnessed.

I agree with the OP that the whole safe space thing seems like something that was just made up by someone who claimed to see it first hand.i'm sure it happens at some schools, as has been reported, but its the fuckin main story every other day on fox as if it's some epidemic that's affecting all students at universities

SnakeBoy
03-14-2017, 08:52 PM
excellent contribution to the thread. thank you

:lol I honestly thought your post was just a troll job. Never seen a safe space, retreats to room when daddy puts on fox news but I can still hear it :cry.

spurraider21
03-14-2017, 08:56 PM
retreats? i've got my desk, books, laptop, etc setup in my room. why the fuck would i sit in front of a tv just to watch clippers games and fox news?

Will Hunting
03-14-2017, 08:58 PM
:lol so republicans qualify anyone who doesn't want to watch Fox News as someone who needs a safe space?

Spurminator
03-14-2017, 09:05 PM
It's a Fox News boogeyman. Like the knockout game and color coded sex bracelets in high schools and black people.

Will Hunting
03-14-2017, 09:10 PM
It's a Fox News boogeyman. Like the knockout game and color coded sex bracelets in high schools and black people.
Or like Natalie Holl:lolway

DMC
03-14-2017, 09:11 PM
retreats? i've got my desk, books, laptop, etc setup in my room. why the fuck would i sit in front of a tv just to watch clippers games and fox news?

So CN is your daddeh? :lol

pgardn
03-14-2017, 09:16 PM
Never.

And I must visit Austin research labs fairly frequently. So maybe I need to hang out at the student union. At facilities, no way. The people I help would not support it and everyone is way busy to muddle in self pity. Busy, goal oriented people don't have the time imo. And you are treated with respect if you can do your job, they don't care if you are a purple transgender Muslim.

spurraider21
03-14-2017, 09:18 PM
So CN is your daddeh? :lol:lol not bad tbh

AaronY
03-14-2017, 09:19 PM
I remember when I watched some live streams from high rises of the LA protests after election day when 100,000 people were out and there were people walking down the streets peacefully mainly just standing around for the most part. You could see the huge groups of people slowly walking down the street. My first thought was seems peaceful and maybe like pointless waste of time if anything since LA is overwhelmingly Dem anyways. Then I turn on fox news or went on the website iirc and the headline was about the maybe at best 20 people who acted the worst and were getting violent while the other overwhelming majority were just standing around doing nothing. In the Fox News world this was like all that got coverage since it was the most embarrassing to the Dems

DarrinS
03-14-2017, 09:27 PM

I agree with the OP that the whole safe space thing seems like something that was just made up by someone who claimed to see it first hand.

Srsly?

Will Hunting
03-14-2017, 09:31 PM
Srsly?
So have you personally seen an example of this?

Spurminator
03-14-2017, 09:33 PM
So have you personally seen an example of this?

He's seen several on YouTube, and posted them all for us, duh

Spurminator
03-14-2017, 09:35 PM
You know what stupid bullshit happens on college campuses about a thousand times more than safe spaces but doesn't get complained about by FNC and the people who take their entire worldview from them?

Rape.

spurraider21
03-14-2017, 09:37 PM
You know what stupid bullshit happens on college campuses about a thousand times more than safe spaces but doesn't get complained about by FNC and the people who take their entire worldview from them?

Rape.they're all fake reports because they were asking for it and then felt embarrassed the next morning

AaronY
03-14-2017, 09:37 PM
This is like what I saw on the streams that I watched for maybe half hour (turn volume down guy's annoying) 797550856338100224

and then on Fox News the focus was mainly on the 13 people that were arrested in LA that day and then pics of the car windows and shop windows that were broken.

DarrinS
03-14-2017, 09:44 PM

Rape.

Safe spaces aren't an event.

And college rape epidemic? Please.

Spurminator
03-14-2017, 09:49 PM
Safe spaces aren't an event.

And college rape epidemic? Please.

I'm not surprised you think the former is a bigger problem on campuses than the latter. Hope you don't have daughters.

DarrinS
03-14-2017, 09:55 PM
I'm not surprised you think the former is a bigger problem on campuses than the latter. Hope you don't have daughters.

Rolling Stone -- UVA. That went well.

And don't forget about those horrible Duke lacrosse players.

pgardn
03-14-2017, 09:59 PM

And dem Baylor Bears.
Still having no problem recruiting.

Spurminator
03-14-2017, 10:27 PM

I really was giving you the benefit of the doubt, believing not even you are stupid enough to believe women don't get raped in college, yet here you are doubling down with your classic confirmation bias.

Yes Darrin, these are examples of false rape accusations. No, Darrin, that doesn't mean women aren't frequently raped in college.

spurraider21
03-14-2017, 10:30 PM
has anybody here had a professor issue a trigger warning in a class?

DMC
03-15-2017, 12:56 AM
The only trigger warnings I've heard were from rangemasters.

Chris
03-15-2017, 01:11 AM
Go get your f'in shine box and ask a SJW

SnakeBoy
03-15-2017, 01:42 AM

Sounds like you have a nice room that chicks would dig

spurraider21
03-15-2017, 02:04 AM
Sounds like you have a nice room that chicks would digthank you for your continued excellent contributions to this thread

SnakeBoy
03-15-2017, 02:32 AM
thank you for your continued excellent contributions to this thread

You're welcome. Now go to bed before you wake your dad up.

spurraider21
03-15-2017, 02:36 AM
You're welcome. Now go to bed before you wake your dad up.legit not understanding the smack tbh... a student living at home? that's your attempt at a burn?

DarrinS
03-15-2017, 06:32 AM
has anybody here had a professor issue a trigger warning in a class?

I would think the level of PC snowflakedom varies by school. University of Chicago put out a letter saying they don't do safe spaces.

monosylab1k
03-15-2017, 10:12 AM
And dem Baylor Bears.

:lol

spurraider21
03-15-2017, 10:50 AM
I would think the level of PC snowflakedom varies by school. University of Chicago put out a letter saying they don't do safe spaces.
Impossible. Chicago is completely fucked up because of liberal policies. Rethink your position

rastaspur
03-17-2017, 02:14 PM
I graduated in 94, so we would've laughed our asses off at the notion of safe spaces and trigger warnings.

There were emergency phones around campus. But those were just to make drunk sorority girls walking home feel safe if someone tried to rape them. I dont think that is considered a safe place. More like a free phone booth.

I graduated in 2000.

As for safe spaces or trigger warnings, I went to an sec school with hardly any liberals. No need for that when the vast majority was on the same page.

Clipper Nation
03-17-2017, 05:26 PM
And dem Baylor Bears.
Leftists would have you believe that every college campus in this country is like Baylor.

monosylab1k
03-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Leftists would have you believe that every college campus in this country is like Baylor.

That's a good point, tbh, not every college campus is filled with conservative Evangelical hypocrites.

Clipper Nation
03-17-2017, 07:44 PM
That's a good point, tbh, not every college campus is filled with conservative Evangelical hypocrites.
Baylor also had a basketball program that covered up a murder. I'd say in many ways, they're an outlier, not the norm.

Spurminator
03-23-2017, 03:39 PM
UT Study finds 15% of Their Female Students Lie About Being Raped (Because Rape Doesn't Happen in College)
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/higher-education/2017/03/23/survey-15-percent-female-undergraduatesat-ut-raped

vy65
03-23-2017, 03:55 PM
UT Study finds 15% of Their Female Students Lie About Being Raped (Because Rape Doesn't Happen in College)
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/higher-education/2017/03/23/survey-15-percent-female-undergraduatesat-ut-raped

"But UT Austin officials confirmed the veracity of the number, saying 15 percent of the female undergraduate students they surveyed reported they were "raped, either through force, threat of force, incapacitation or other forms of coercion such as lies and verbal pressure."

Not rape imo

baseline bum
03-23-2017, 04:02 PM
"But UT Austin officials confirmed the veracity of the number, saying 15 percent of the female undergraduate students they surveyed reported they were "raped, either through force, threat of force, incapacitation or other forms of coercion such as lies and verbal pressure."

Not rape imo

So it's rape when she regrets it in the morning? Is the walk of shame rape? :lol

vy65
03-23-2017, 04:04 PM
So it's rape when she regrets it in the morning? Is the walk of shame rape? :lol

TBH I'm surprised that, at worst, only 15% of UT's women regret who they fucked the night before.

boutons_deux
03-23-2017, 04:34 PM
The rightwing Rape Caucus chimes in, echoing the Repug Rape Caucus.

"she asked for it"

"she drank too much, so I can fuck her"

"she dressed too nice, so I can fuck her"

"she can just think real hard and flush it out"

"she liked it"

"she's lying"

spurraider21
03-23-2017, 04:38 PM

"she asked for it"

"she liked it"

"she's lying"
Can a male consent to sex if he's just as drunk? Or did he get raped?

vy65
03-23-2017, 04:42 PM

"she asked for it"

"she liked it"

"she's lying"

Literally no one has said that ITT.

DMC
03-23-2017, 04:53 PM
Can a male consent to sex if he's just as drunk? Or did he get raped?

Well you did say you were lonely and cold, and I did offer you my bed, and you did back your ass up to me. It's not my fault you had too much to drink.

spurraider21
03-23-2017, 05:05 PM
Well you did say you were lonely and cold, and I did offer you my bed, and you did back your ass up to me. It's not my fault you had too much to drink.
If two drunks fuck, did they both get raped?

Spurminator
03-23-2017, 05:05 PM

Not rape imo

I agree in the legal sense, and I don't think any reasonable person would suggest that a man who gets laid after being dishonest or coercive should be up for criminal punishment. But the psychological impact to a woman can be similar to rape. Not assigning fault, but it's still worth acknowledging.

Anyway, not really the larger point I was addressing with the article unless you believe the entire 15% falls into that category.

vy65
03-23-2017, 05:34 PM
I agree in the legal sense, and I don't think any reasonable person would suggest that a man who gets laid after being dishonest or coercive should be up for criminal punishment. But the psychological impact to a woman can be similar to rape. Not assigning fault, but it's still worth acknowledging.

Anyway, not really the larger point I was addressing with the article unless you believe the entire 15% falls into that category.

Wait. The article you linked includes the "other forms of coercion such as lies and verbal pressure" as a part of its definition of rape. Is it not fair to understand the point being made that "lies and verbal pressure" are being considered as rape? If not legally then at least for policy reasons?

I have problems triggering the penalties for rape if all the dude did was talk his way into sex. It could be possible to interpret some of the proposed bills mentioned in the article to subject a kid to criminal penalties when all he did was lie about how much money he makes to get laid.

Clearly rape occurs on college campuses. I don't think anyone disputes that. But I have doubts about a survey that uses such loose (HAH) definition of rape.

Spurminator
03-23-2017, 06:57 PM
Wait. The article you linked includes the "other forms of coercion such as lies and verbal pressure" as a part of its definition of rape. Is it not fair to understand the point being made that "lies and verbal pressure" are being considered as rape? If not legally then at least for policy reasons?

The actual policy being proposed in TX (by a Republican legislator, linked in the article) doesn't include anything about lies or verbal pressure, so no, I don't think that's the larger point. The larger point is that too many incidents of assault and rape happen on campuses, and women are often afraid to report them.

And MY point for including the article in this thread was to compare the selective concern we show about rapes by immigrants with the lack of concern we seem to show about rapes by college students (or, in Darrin and CN's cases, disbelief and outright denial that rape happens).

DarrinS
03-23-2017, 07:12 PM
Yeah, pretty much no one believes that rapes don't happen. There's a difference between that and crappy stats used to bolster an argument that there's a rape epidemic on campuses.

Spurminator
03-23-2017, 07:16 PM
Yeah, pretty much no one believes that rapes don't happen. There's a difference between that and crappy stats used to bolster an argument that there's a rape epidemic on campuses.

I said rape is more of an issue on campuses than safe spaces and your response was to bring up UVA and Duke Lacrosse.

You have no stats for either.

DarrinS
03-23-2017, 07:20 PM
I said rape is more of an issue on campuses than safe spaces and your response was to bring up UVA and Duke Lacrosse.

You have no stats for either.

So, you managed to warp that into "disbelief and outright denial that rape happens"? Lol

Spurminator
03-23-2017, 07:22 PM
So, you managed to warp that into "disbelief and outright denial that rape happens"? Lol

What other conclusion should I have come to?

What was your point in bringing up UVA?

BanditHiro
03-23-2017, 07:33 PM
a typical Trump Rally would be considered a safe space.

UZER
03-23-2017, 07:44 PM
I remember when I watched some live streams from high rises of the LA protests after election day when 100,000 people were out and there were people walking down the streets peacefully mainly just standing around for the most part. You could see the huge groups of people slowly walking down the street. My first thought was seems peaceful and maybe like pointless waste of time if anything since LA is overwhelmingly Dem anyways. Then I turn on fox news or went on the website iirc and the headline was about the maybe at best 20 people who acted the worst and were getting violent while the other overwhelming majority were just standing around doing nothing. In the Fox News world this was like all that got coverage since it was the most embarrassing to the Dems

Sounds like CNNs, NBCs, CBSs, ABCs coverage of Trump rallies.

DMC
03-23-2017, 10:08 PM
If two drunks fuck, did they both get raped?

Just you in this case.

boutons_deux
03-24-2017, 07:00 AM
Oklahoma lawmaker defends anti-abortion bill, says rape and incest are ‘will of God’ (http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2017/03/23/oklahoma-lawmaker-defends-anti-abortion-bill-says-rape-and-incest-are-will-of-god/)

http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2017/03/23/oklahoma-lawmaker-defends-anti-abortion-bill-says-rape-and-incest-are-will-of-god/

"God Wills It" that Faught be raped by gang of diseased gays. Praise The Lord!