PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi vs Clippers '17= Parker vs Grizzlies'13 = Redemption series?

spursistan
03-14-2017, 03:38 PM
The two series would have eerily similar subplots..

MVParker wiped the floor with Mike Conley and Grizzlies after 8 when the "Grizzlies in 6 :cry " was a trendy prediction back then, just like everyone is scared shitless of this flawed Clippers team based on one instance of them knocking us out in a first round playoffs series while having a moderate reg season success ever since combined with the fact that our best player/first option has struggled mightily against them.

At some point, a Kawhi-led team HAS to make some waves in the postseason for him to cement his current regular season status as top 3 player in the league..

Far be it to me to put the onus on Leonard to lead us past a prohibitive favorite and a historically stacked team like the Warriors, but it is high time for Kawhi to have signature dominant series from start to finish against another contender..

In the absence of an elite match-up at his position in this Clippers team, there is literally no excuse for Kawhi to not go supernova and be the best player in the series by quite a margin..

Assuming we get the top seed, this is a legacy-setting moment for Leonard in his new superstar role/tier, IMO..

Amuseddaysleeper
03-14-2017, 03:46 PM
I'm not worried about Kawhi, Kawhi alone isn't going to beat the Clippers/Rockets/Warriors. Spurs desperately need other players to step up and have a great series. You look at OKC last year and lots of players played well against us, especially the role players. Spurs can't afford the offense to go cold for long stretches are have a layup drill at the rim. Can't have LMA playing like the worst season of his career.

Spurs have had some rough/premature exits since 2014, but I'm much more concerned with the rest of the aging roster than I am with Kawhi needing to show up.

TD 21
03-14-2017, 05:33 PM
Leonard definitely needs a signature playoff series win and run, as the undisputed best player, to truly cement his place as a top 3 player, but the difference is, in '13, not only were Duncan and Parker the two best players in the series, but the Grizzlies lacked a single player capable of playing at their level. Leonard would be considered the best player in a Clippers series, but both Paul and Griffin are eminently capable of playing at his level.

I suspect this will all be moot because I'll have to see the Spurs finish with the 1 seed to believe it, but I'd still view a Clippers series as a virtual coin flip (presuming Aldridge plays). Many see a broken team and maybe they are, but we've seen this many times with long time successful regular season teams, especially those with a sketchy playoff history. They slog their way through the regular season only to hit a gear in the playoffs that most no longer believe they had.

sasaint
03-14-2017, 05:42 PM
Not a problem for Kawhi. Just hold on to your seats till this post-season, and then BUCKLE UP!

SASdynasty!
03-14-2017, 11:11 PM
Parker dropped 25/10 on 53% in that series against the best defender at the position and arguably the best perimeter defender in the league at the time (Tony Allen). Parker also held Conley to 15/6 on 38%. The level of dominance was off the charts. I'd be surprised to see Kawhi do that on both ends in a series...even this year.

dabom
03-14-2017, 11:16 PM
Parker dropped 25/10 on 53% in that series against the best defender at the position and arguably the best perimeter defender in the league at the time (Tony Allen). Parker also held Conley to 15/6 on 38%. The level of dominance was off the charts. I'd be surprised to see Kawhi do that on both ends in a series...even this year.
Old man Tim Duncan closing out those close games. thank god it wasn't porker. :lmao

NameLess Scrub
03-15-2017, 07:53 AM
Clippers could all be in rehab and AA with some depression, and they will all become stars when they play the Spurs.

Arcadian
03-15-2017, 08:04 AM
The Spurs will fucking destroy the Clippers should they meet this year. Prime Kawhi is going to terrorize those faggots.