PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Still Connected To Old Coach

carina_gino20
10-12-2005, 08:24 AM
Duncan Still Connected To Old Coach
Kent Babb, KRT
Wednesday, October 12, 2005
http://www.broadbandnewsnet.com/newsmanager/anmviewer.asp?a=2350&z=1

The preseason game between the Philadelphia 76ers and San Antonio Spurs scheduled to take place in Columbia at the Colonial Center on Wednesday, October 12, now has an earlier tip-off time. The teams couldn't wait to make their South Carolina debut, so the game will now begin at 7:30.

COLUMBIA - USC basketball coach Dave Odom has a line of framed photographs leaning against a bookshelf in his office, a temporary waiting area before he hangs them on his wall after the office's wallpaper is replaced.

Several photos are of former Gamecocks players, including Carlos Powell and Mike Boynton, and many are players Odom coached at Wake Forest, including Josh Howard and Rodney Rogers.

Then there is Tim Duncan, who will be at the Colonial Center tonight when his San Antonio Spurs play the Philadelphia 76ers in an exhibition game. He is the ex-Demon Deacon most prominently featured in Odom's mementos.

None of the players in the photographs has affected Odom's career quite like Duncan, whom the coach discovered via word-of-mouth and signed to play at Wake Forest as the prize of what he calls the best recruiting trip of his career.

Duncan, who had been recruited by only Delaware State and Providence before joining Wake Forest, then blossomed under Odom. He was the top pick in the 1997 NBA draft and has since led the San Antonio Spurs to three league NBA championships, being named the NBA Finals MVP each time.

And even though Odom says he played only a small part in Duncan's development from youthful prospect to one of the world's best players, others know that both Odom and Duncan continue to benefit from their experiences at Wake Forest.

Duncan improved his game against tough ACC competition. Odom, after nearly 20 years as a college coach, landed his prize recruit, a star who current high school players know and have no trouble connecting with Odom.

"That connection stays strong as long as Tim Duncan is playing," said Furman coach Larry Davis, who was an assistant on Odom's staff at Wake Forest when Odom signed Duncan.

"Dave is not a big self-promoter, but his assistants, that's their job. You've got to say, 'Hey, this guy recruited Tim Duncan and developed Tim Duncan.' That's the thing the assistant coaches are selling the devil out of."

Odom said that he has never pitched his experience with Duncan to recruits, but he does acknowledge that coaching Duncan "was nothing but a positive," and that some high school players might find his history with Duncan attractive.

Odom, who says he occasionally speaks with Duncan on the telephone but chooses to keep the conversations personal instead of steering them toward basketball, said he plans to attend tonight's game to watch his biggest recruiting prize, the star that many of the high school players Odom recruits hope to become.

"He had his day with me; I had my day with him," Odom said. "Those were good days. It was a good time in our lives. I'm very proud of the fact that I coached him."

slayermin
10-12-2005, 01:38 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with Dave Odom telling a recruit that he recruited and developed Tim Duncan. He should use any advantage he can because building a b-ball program in South Carolina can't be easy.

angel_luv
10-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Odom, who says he occasionally speaks with Duncan on the telephone but chooses to keep the conversations personal instead of steering them toward basketball, said he plans to attend tonight's game to watch his biggest recruiting prize, the star that many of the high school players Odom recruits hope to become.

"He had his day with me; I had my day with him," Odom said. "Those were good days. It was a good time in our lives. I'm very proud of the fact that I coached him."

Very nice! = )