PDA

View Full Version : Amateur: The loneliest, most abandoned thread ever created

Splits
03-21-2017, 07:49 PM

:lol look at that empty stadium
:lol USA losing to Puerto Rico mexicans
:lol USA losing to Dominican Repulic mexicans
:lol USA has never won a "World Baseball Classic"
:lol only reason the "World Baseball Classic" exists is because fatbol got eliminated from the Olympics
:lol fatball
:lol how do "we" lose to teams that don't even know how the sport is played?
:lol World Baseball Classic
:lol what are they going to call the finals, the "W:lolrld Series"? ALREADY TAKEN :lol
:lol they got one thing right --->>> "PUT RUNNERS ON 1ST AND 2ND BASE DURING EXTRA INNINGS"
:lol if it rains they :cry have to postpone the festivities :cry
:lol a "sport" you can't play if there is a raindrop

:lmao this "sport"

Splits
03-21-2017, 07:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VEe4WRr.png

Splits
03-21-2017, 07:52 PM
midnightpulp get in here and defend this shit :lmao

StrengthAndHonor
03-21-2017, 08:06 PM
The harder you try to be funny, the less funny you will be.

lefty20
03-21-2017, 08:35 PM
JaVP > Team USA, tbh.

hater
03-21-2017, 08:44 PM
They probably were NOT going to sell jumbo hot dogs tonight

03-21-2017, 08:58 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao

Clipper Nation
03-21-2017, 09:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jN7Q42x.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sDXIRid.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KGZBCW2.jpg

DMC
03-21-2017, 09:11 PM
I see stadiums bigger than they need to be.

Of course other countries will beat the US in baseball. Every good player in the game is from the Dominican Republic except the few remaining juicers.

Chris
03-21-2017, 09:38 PM
https://media4.giphy.com/media/3o72F7Yl8y35V5gCZO/200w.gif

TimDunkem
03-21-2017, 11:23 PM
:lmao

MultiTroll
03-22-2017, 12:51 AM
Yawn.

USA pitchers at spring training where they should be.
Clayton Kershaw, Madison Bumgarner, Corey Kluber, Noah Syndergaard, Chris Sale and reigning American League Cy Young Award winner Rick Porcello are among the notable starters who won’t be wearing the red, white and blue. National League Cy Young winner Max Scherzer out with injury.

Mike Trout not there.

OTOH foreign players that are not signed trying as hard as they can to score MLB contract.

DMC
03-22-2017, 01:08 AM

What the actual fuck?

Splits
03-22-2017, 01:31 AM
:lol those uniforms

http://i.imgur.com/BeTyokr.png

midnightpulp
03-22-2017, 03:15 AM
The 2017 World Baseball Classic has set an all-time event attendance record through the second round and is expected to draw more than 1 million fans for the first time.

:wow

Average attendance will wind up being around 30K per match. About the same as that 2 game series (lol) thing they're playing in Floptrot.

http://www.espnfc.us/uefa-champions-league/2/statistics/performance

03-22-2017, 07:32 AM
:lol those uniforms

http://i.imgur.com/BeTyokr.png
Is that the coach? :lol

midnightpulp
03-22-2017, 08:06 AM
What the actual fuck?

A lot of gay shit in soccer. A lot.

https://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/mmm.gif?w=378&h=251

Splits
03-22-2017, 08:09 AM
Is that the coach? :lol

:lol

lefty
03-22-2017, 09:04 AM
:lmao Clipper Nation posting pics of shitty lower leagues

:lmao nice try

Clipper Nation
03-22-2017, 10:32 AM
:lmao Clipper Nation (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=28500) posting pics of shitty lower leagues

And? Shits was posting a picture of a meaningless offseason tournament. The World Baseball Classic is to baseball what the IFAF World Championship is to football.

lefty
03-22-2017, 11:02 AM
And? Shits was posting a picture of a meaningless offseason tournament. The World Baseball Classic is to baseball what the IFAF World Championship is to football.

Your meaningless tournament is still called "world classic"

Nobody calls a shitty Asian lower league "world classic"

03-22-2017, 11:05 AM
:lol damn

hater
03-22-2017, 12:08 PM
What the actual fuck?

:lmao thats the Panzer national team coach. Dude won it all. World Cup, Eurocup, etc. while picking his nose, eating his boogers and chewing on his pubes on the bench :lmao

One GOAT of a coach but also one fucking sick puppy :lol

UNT Eagles 2016
03-22-2017, 12:28 PM
op is a weirdo

Clipper Nation
03-22-2017, 01:26 PM
Your meaningless tournament is still called "world classic"
It's called the World Classic because it's an international tournament. By your logic, the World University Games in college basketball matter more than March Madness.

Nobody calls a shitty Asian lower league "world classic"
And? Doesn't change the empty seats at soccer games all over the globe.

Splits
03-22-2017, 01:28 PM
It's called the World Classic because it's an international tournament. By your logic, the World University Games in college basketball matter more than March Madness.

Yet the MLB championship is called the "World Series". They should add "doesn't care" between those two words to be accurate :lmao

Clipper Nation
03-22-2017, 01:32 PM
Yet the MLB championship is called the "World Series". They should add "doesn't care" between those two words to be accurate :lmao

When any other country fields a club that is capable of beating the MLB champions in a seven-game series, then they can whine about the name of the World Series.

What's truly retarded is naming the most important tournament in your "sport" the "World Cup" when the only relevant country on the planet doesn't give a rat's ass about it.

Silver&Black
03-22-2017, 02:20 PM
:lmao Clipper Nation (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=28500) posting pics of shitty lower leagues

:lol They're all "shitty lower leagues"

Joseph Kony
03-22-2017, 04:30 PM
arguing over soccer vs fatball is like a down syndrome kid fighting with an autistic kid over who is less retarded :lmao

Silver&Black
03-22-2017, 04:51 PM
arguing over soccer vs fatball is like a down syndrome kid fighting with an autistic kid over who is less retarded :lmao

Kony

That is the reason why the povertyball vs. beisbol feud has staying power. They're equals. When comparing equal sports like these...usually one of these two criteria applies:

1. Both sports are fucking awesome. Just endless entertainment around.
2. Both are lame as fuck.

I'll let you choose which one applies to this argument. (Hint: It's not #1)

Clipper Nation
03-22-2017, 05:15 PM
Kony

That is the reason why the povertyball vs. beisbol feud has staying power. They're equals. When comparing equal sports like these...usually one of these two criteria applies:

1. Both sports are fucking awesome. Just endless entertainment around.
2. Both are lame as fuck.

I'll let you choose which one applies to this argument. (Hint: It's not #1)
False dilemma. Baseball is fucking awesome. Soccer isn't even a sport.

Silver&Black
03-22-2017, 07:26 PM
^
Can't accept the fact that the ONLY people who find baseball "awesome" are himself, mid, and 60+ year old.

Clipper Nation
03-22-2017, 07:34 PM
^
Can't accept the fact that the ONLY people who find baseball "awesome" are himself, mid, and 60+ year old.
The billion-dollar local TV deals that MLB teams are signing these days says otherwise. That's not even getting into the league's lucrative national and international TV deals.

There's a reason why the MLB is literally more valuable than any soccer league in the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_leagues_by_revenue

Money talks.

midnightpulp
03-22-2017, 07:44 PM
^

And 40 million Japanese who watched Japan in the Classic, and the 40 million Americans who tuned in for game 7.

I like foobaw when it's not interrupted by 80 minutes of commercials and yet another penalty, but baseball is a far better designed sport. I can go into detail if you like.

Silver&Black
03-22-2017, 08:22 PM
And 40 million Japanese who watched Japan in the Classic, and the 40 million Americans who tuned in for game 7.

I like foobaw when it's not interrupted by 80 minutes of commercials and yet another penalty, but baseball is a far better designed sport. I can go into detail if you like.

This is the 2nd time I've told you this. Redzone bruh. Nobody I know watches the local TV broadcast (CBS, FOX). They all watch redzone. No commercials. It's the greatest thing ever. Ever. And watch a Patriots game. They never get called for penalties. I just solved all your problems. You're welcome. You have no excuse now.

On Spurtalk (A NBA Forum):
MLB sub-forum = Ghost town.
NFL sub-forum = 15+ page thread every single weekend. Threads about what teams will do in Free Agency. Threads about the Draft....etc.

Guess all those posters don't agree with your "far better designed sport" theory. It's not about my opinion or your opinon Mid. After all....we're just two people. The entire site (as a whole) would tend to agree with me that foobaw > beisbol. The simplest explanation (usually the best ones) is the fact that nobody goes to the MLB forum and plenty of people go to the NFL forum.

Convince me I'm wrong about that.

Silver&Black
03-22-2017, 08:33 PM
Money talks.

Golf signs TV contracts (NBC) worth a shitload of money.
NASCAR signs TV contracts (FOX/TNT) worth a shitload of money.
ESPN/ESPN2 is showing Women's College Basketball in prime time.

Doesn't mean those sports are not lame as fuck.

lefty20
03-22-2017, 08:34 PM
This is the 2nd time I've told you this. Redzone bruh. Nobody I know watches the local TV broadcast (CBS, FOX). They all watch redzone. No commercials. It's the greatest thing ever. Ever. And watch a Patriots game. They never get called for penalties. I just solved all your problems. You're welcome. You have no excuse now.

NFL sub-forum = 15+ page thread every single weekend. Threads about what teams will do in Free Agency. Threads about the Draft....etc.

Guess all those posters don't agree with your "far better designed sport" theory. It's not about my opinion or your opinon Mid. After all....we're just two people. The entire site (as a whole) would tend to agree with me that foobaw > beisbol. The simplest explanation (usually the best ones) is the fact that nobody goes to the MLB forum and plenty of people go to the NFL forum.

NFL>MLB>NBA in terms league net worth.

resistanze
03-22-2017, 08:46 PM
Why is the WBC final on my ESPN2 feed in Mexican?

lefty
03-22-2017, 11:06 PM

Damn even Trump isn't watching

midnightpulp
03-23-2017, 12:36 AM

:lol Why are you using Spurstalk as a metric of anything?

We're a basketball forum for a Texas (not really a baseball state) team that is half filled with foreigners from non-baseball playing countries.

I've responded to you about Redzone. I don't care about watching the Saints drive against the Bucs. I'd probably rather watch commercials than some shitty NFC South highlight.

I also find it ironic you're invoking the "popularity" argument, which is what soccer fans use to "prove" their favorite sport is the "best." Furthermore, baseball is a much bigger sport worldwide than football, which is taken seriously by only one country. You might want to think that one through.

Now for the game design argument. (Note: I am not talking about aesthetic preferences. You find baseball boring because it's a static game. Fair enough. I would never try to convince you otherwise).

- Officiating influence.

Even though umpires aren't perfect, they have far less influence on the outcome of a game than do NFL officials, because they have a clear objective foundation of what is and what isn't a strike (strikezone) or out (does the ball beat the runner to the base). The NFL is affected by far, far too many subjective "judgement" calls. I mean, watch any replay, and you'll see holding on nearly every play, but it's like they arbitrarily choose when to call it. Same with every other contact play in the game, and given the fact that football is 100% contact on every play, this makes the game a clusterfuck to call correctly and fairly. I also can't stand what I call "awarded penalties." These are the pass interference kind of penalties that just automatically award yardage as if the ball was caught, even when it's obvious the receiver had low odds of making the catch. Soccer is the worst offender in this regard with how it basically gives a team a free goal for a penalty in the box.

Basketball has a lot flaws here, as well, but at least scoring isn't at such a premium like it is in football and soccer, so bad officiating is a bit more transparent and a team can play through bad calls (for most of the game. Obviously a bad call late in the 4th quarter has more impact).

- Clock

Now baseball and other such sports like tennis, volleyball, etc have this advantage over clock based goal sports. In baseball, each team gets 27 outs, and you can't employ any kind of cheap "clock killing" tactics like you can in most goal sports. Again, I think basketball handles this best by having a 24 second shot clock compared to the 40 second playclock in football. Soccer is terrible in this regard (I've literally watched a soccer team play keep away for like 3 minutes).

- Possession doesn't change hands after a score

Combined with no clock, this means a comeback is always mathematically possible. It also creates a feeling of every inning feeling like the "4th quarter" because a team could erupt for a huge inning at any given time. The other non-clock sports have this in some regard. As long as a tennis player keeps his man from winning by two, he can comeback. No clock to burn for his opponent. And yes, I do think tennis is an elegantly designed game even though I'm not a fan.

Goalsports are pretty flawed, though I think basketball is the best of the best simply because its scoring design (i.e. it's easy to score) can overcome a lot of the subjective officiating shit that can potentially influence a game (however, I do think basketball is massively shitty in this regard on final play situations).

Now aesthetically/dramatically speaking (my subjective opinion, of course)?

When baseball and football are "right," there's no more dramatic or epic of a sport in existence. Both have the comeback factor right. The punch/counterpunch factor right. And the "scope" right. A 9th inning rally punctuated by a homerun or a 90 yard drive is simply more "grand" of a spectacle than a 4th quarter comeback in basketball. But football has lost me over the past 5 years because of Goodellball and all the fuckin' commercials (again, I don't give a shit about Redzone. Cutting away to anything, whether it be a commercial or another game, ruins the pacing of the game you're watching).

midnightpulp
03-23-2017, 12:58 AM

Stroman tonight :wow

resistanze
03-23-2017, 10:08 AM
Stroman tonight :wow

Let's see him show up this season after an down year. He seemed to be asspained about his buddy Sanchez getting more shine last season.

SAGirl
03-23-2017, 11:29 AM
The game was actually boring bc PR barely got a couple if hits ... but the field was almost full to capacity and they got a lot of revenue. I am not a baseball fan and maybe ESPN deportes is hyping up the sport to appeal to other countries developing their baseball programs more but it didn't seem like they were disappointed with the turnout for the event

Silver&Black
03-23-2017, 05:38 PM
:lol Why are you using Spurstalk as a metric of anything?

We're a basketball forum for a Texas (not really a baseball state) team that is half filled with foreigners from non-baseball playing countries.

I've responded to you about Redzone. I don't care about watching the Saints drive against the Bucs. I'd probably rather watch commercials than some shitty NFC South highlight.

Few things:

1. A Spurtalk.com "poll" or anything similar to that isn't really a scientific model. I wouldn't exactly use something like that in court. I'm sure you realized this though. However; it does have more than 30 participants so from a mathematical/statistical standpoint it shouldn't be automatically disqualified either.
2. Texas does field two MLB teams. Am I right?
3. Finally, on the RedZone comment. You ALWAYS use commercials as your excuse to not watch the NFL. It's your go-to. When you list things you don't like about the NFL the abundance of commercials always comes first. I've told you of a way to completely eliminate this problem and you shit on it by talking about how you don't want to watch the Bucs vs. Saints drive. The show is like 6+ hours long. Trust me when I say this, but Bucs vs. Saints drives probably make up less than 1% of that time. I just wish you'd be honest here. Just say that you don't like football, and no matter what you won't watch it (which is completely fine). Stop saying commercials are your biggest deterrent. Because if that is truly the case the RedZone would alleviate those concerns immediately.

The rest is a good post...and I agree with a lot of it. Just don't have the time to go into all of it.

midnightpulp
03-23-2017, 05:59 PM
Few things:

1. A Spurtalk.com "poll" or anything similar to that isn't really a scientific model. I wouldn't exactly use something like that in court. I'm sure you realized this though. However; it does have more than 30 participants so from a mathematical/statistical standpoint it shouldn't be automatically disqualified either.
2. Texas does field two MLB teams. Am I right?
3. Finally, on the RedZone comment. You ALWAYS use commercials as your excuse to not watch the NFL. It's your go-to. When you list things you don't like about the NFL the abundance of commercials always comes first. I've told you of a way to completely eliminate this problem and you shit on it by talking about how you don't want to watch the Bucs vs. Saints drive. The show is like 6+ hours long. Trust me when I say this, but Bucs vs. Saints drives probably make up less than 1% of that time. I just wish you'd be honest here. Just say that you don't like football, and no matter what you won't watch it (which is completely fine). Stop saying commercials are your biggest deterrent. Because if that is truly the case the RedZone would alleviate those concerns immediately.

The rest is a good post...and I agree with a lot of it. Just don't have the time to go into all of it.

No. It seems like you want me to admit that foobaw is flawless in its presentation "cuz Redzone!"

Let me rephrase the issue then:

"When I watch the Raiders, I want to watch the Raiders. I can look up highlights of other teams later. And when I watch the Raiders, I unfortunately have to sit through an hour and half of truck, beer, and smartphone commercials that are shown at the stupidest times (after a kickoff, during a challenge [MLB stays with the game during challenges], after a 3 and out. Redzone you say? Doesn't matter. It's still a break in the action from the team I want to watch."

In addition to that, I have to suffer through 3 and a half hours of a spastically officiated game.

I like football just fine. The NFL is a different story.

Silver&Black
03-23-2017, 06:15 PM
No. It seems like you want me to admit that foobaw is flawless in its presentation "cuz Redzone!" No sport is flawless. C'mon now. Millions of fans (like myself) don't live anywhere near their favorite football team and find RedZone to be an suitable replacement. I can't watch the local Bucs TV broadcast.
Still wondering why you won't even give it a shot and shit all over it. Every football fan I know seems to absolutely love it. Just saying....

midnightpulp
03-23-2017, 06:21 PM
No sport is flawless. C'mon now. Millions of fans (like myself) don't live anywhere near their favorite football team and find RedZone to be an suitable replacement. I can't watch the local Bucs TV broadcast.
Still wondering why you won't even give it a shot and shit all over it. Every football fan I know seems to absolutely love it. Just saying....

Again, why should I want to watch a drive of a team I'm not interested in? Even if it's a division rival, I can just check the score later.

Here's a thought. The NFL reduce its number of commercials.

DMC
03-24-2017, 08:37 AM
Baseball is a more technically developed sport than either football type (soccer or American football).

Australian rules football beats all of it imo

Silver&Black
03-24-2017, 10:24 AM
The NFL reduce its number of commercials.

Fantastic idea. I'm all aboard. Think they're doing this next year btw tbh fwiw.

I'm still going to watch RedZone every single weekend though. It's 5x better than the local TV broadcast of the game.