PDA

View Full Version : Manu: I don't know how long I have left, but I'm sure it's not another 3 years

ElNono
03-24-2017, 02:25 AM
I don't know how long I have left, but I'm sure it's not another 3 years
by Manu Ginobili
Thu Mar 23, 2017

SAN ANTONIO.- I know a lot of people like to use the phrase 'I don't have a lot left'. But I want to illustrate that the feeling is logical, and I've said it before. I really don't know how long I have left in the NBA, I just know it's not another 3 years (Editor's note: He'll be 40 on July 28th). And I also don't know for sure what I'm going to do. I enjoy what I'm living right now. I still haven't reached a mental state where my humor is affected by a good or bad game. I feel my performance improved almost 80%, even though I'm not where I'd like to be. I do put the work in, I try to play the best I can; sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. I like the role I have, that keeps me healthy and on a team that, despite some up and downs, has a very solid record. I'm fine, with people I appreciate, so I can't ask for much more in that context.

The team helps me reach that state. I do have to be honest: our performances have been irregular for a while. We take four steps forward, and sometimes we take three back. It looks like we're slowly advancing and then we lost at home against Portland, then go to Memphis, where we should've shown a reaction or played our best game, and we play terrible again. When we felt the pressure rise up a bit, we started playing a bit better. We still aren't on our optimum state. That said, most other teams apparently are not either. We have almost 60 win... But it's true: there's that feeling that we're not playing well, that we don't play up to our maximum potential. Then we look at the standings, and notice that it's not that easy to have the record we have.

It's possible that all those feelings might be boosted because in 2014 we displayed a really high caliber version of our game. You know you can reach somewhere there and last season we won 67 games with a team that looked more consistent, and set a high bar. And it's reasonable, we have the team and potential to do something similar. It's true that throughout 82 games there's up and downs. Perhaps what happened this season is that it happened more often. But it's not really a barometer, because in 2016, with the 67 wins, we couldn't get out of the 2nd round in the playoffs. This season we're not as regular, that's true, but perhaps it'll help us to get better when we need it.

I've been told a couple of times that I've been seen more often on the bench talking to my teammates during timeouts. Honestly, it's not intentional. I think I do the same I've been doing the last few years and perhaps the cameras catch it more often. It's definitively not intentional or mandatory. I don't do anything new or special in that sense.

A lot of things that are happening with the team are not something I thought about or I prepared. Some ask me if I took the leadership role that Tim [Duncan] had and I really have no idea, because I don't have a clue what my teammates think about that. Nobody tells me, it's not like they come to ask me things when they need something. I feel I know some situations and I think there are certain times where it's better a teammate reaches out to talk to you instead of your coach. And when with Tony [Parker] we feel it's necessary to take care of something, we just do it naturally.

And on that track is how I take everything and I allow myself to enjoy, at times, how we play. We have a lot of talent and on the second unit we try to give the team a different kind of energy, some more agility and versatility. We found out that David [Lee] is an ideal player to play that way. He understands the game well. Con Pau [Gasol] it's the same thing. With him starting we practically never played together; not that he plays more minutes with the second unit, we're connecting more. The team is trying to get better in every game.

---

Omitted the last paragraph that talks about Bahia Basket, his town's team.

Original article in spanish here:
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1997399-no-se-cuanto-me-queda-solo-se-que-no-son-tres-anos-mas

ElNono
03-24-2017, 02:26 AM
:stirpot: ?

Robz4000
03-24-2017, 02:37 AM
If it's for the minimum, why not?

TheGreatYacht
03-24-2017, 02:40 AM
http://www.everyday-wisdom.com/images/5914.jpg

BillMc
03-24-2017, 03:44 AM
2 year contract. Do it RC!

Ice009
03-24-2017, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I still want him back in a bench role. Another year or two I would have no problem with, if it's for closer to the minimum salary.

sananspursfan21
03-24-2017, 08:18 AM
He acknowledges the inconsistency too tbh

GSH
03-24-2017, 08:24 AM
"I feel my performance improved almost 80%"

Is that a rough spot in translation, Nono? I can't figure out what he meant there. Improved from what? Does he mean he's still playing at 80% of what he used to?

From Downtown
03-24-2017, 08:27 AM

Is that a rough spot in translation, Nono? I can't figure out what he meant there. Improved from what? Does he mean he's still playing at 80% of what he used to?

I think he means he's still not at his best and he's doing 80% of what he actually feels he can do

hater
03-24-2017, 08:29 AM

He probably means he improved to 80% this year from his 30% the last few years.

Disagree btw. He improved to about 70% which is not bad

He could play 2 more years but Id give him 5 mins or less a game

TheGreatYacht
03-24-2017, 08:29 AM
I think he means he's still not at his best and he's doing 80% of what he actually feels he can do
So instead of turning the ball over 8 times in an NBA Finals game, he'll do it 6 times now?

Spur|n|Austin
03-24-2017, 08:39 AM
Manu will be a great coach one day. Until then, he's still a solid contributor.

HOFer

Spur|n|Austin
03-24-2017, 08:47 AM
So instead of turning the ball over 8 times in an NBA Finals game, he'll do it 6 times now?

Instead of your mom sucking six dicks last weekend she sucked eight. We all have our flaws.

Canyonero
03-24-2017, 09:07 AM
2yrs/35M imho

Play Boban
03-24-2017, 09:24 AM
7 year max deal tbh.

DPG21920
03-24-2017, 10:00 AM
He's been very active and I am surprised at his level of play. He's definitely worth having on the roster from a purely basketball perspective (let alone the other factors like his standing with the organization.)

rastaspur
03-24-2017, 10:02 AM
Instead of your mom sucking six dicks last weekend she sucked eight. We all have our flaws.

Dont count me out. It was actually 9.

MultiTroll
03-24-2017, 10:09 AM
Will his bald spot on his crown reach his forehead as an active Spur?

Actually he looks fine with the super short cut.

SAGirl
03-24-2017, 10:13 AM
It's very interesting that he mentions the team's inconsistency and poor play of late. There's a feeling that despite their record they are not playing their best and they are aware of it and seem worried by it. Then he looks around and he realizes that the other contenders are not playing that well either. But it's a small comfort bc they would rather be better at this point than they are. It kind of summarizes how we feel about them too. Lol

He could play another season, but he should not get the juicy contract he got for several reasons. He took steep discounts to sign Lamarcus the season prior and it evened out. Now the Spurs are not indebted in that sense. He could fall off at any point right now. That's just the reality and he will need a young player or two that are capable of eating minutes up for him bc he needs a rest schedule and minutes managed. In a small deal why not?

TheGreatYacht
03-24-2017, 10:27 AM
Lmao triggered the fat Mexican

spursistan
03-24-2017, 10:49 AM
#OneMoreYear

SpursforSix
03-24-2017, 11:07 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/3334057/top-gear-wheels-coming-off-o.gif

Mr. Body
03-24-2017, 11:17 AM
He's been way better than some dudes in their twenties. It's amazing.

spurs10
03-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Manu on point as usual!

daledondale
03-24-2017, 12:08 PM

james evans
03-24-2017, 12:36 PM
exactly.Ginoblii is done. He's had a great career, but the Spurs organization needs to stop this shit. If he doesn't retire, then let him sign somewhere else to turn the ball over

UZER
03-24-2017, 12:37 PM

:lol

GSH
03-24-2017, 12:44 PM
He could play another season, but he should not get the juicy contract he got for several reasons.

This year was back pay. It came straight out of Holt's pocket, and didn't kill our cap situation. The Spurs won't give him anywhere near that much next year, and they won't have to.

I don't know for sure under the new CBA, but I think Manu's big salary this year will put a huge cap hold on the Spurs, so he would probably be the first player signed if they intend to keep him for another year. If they sign him for a 1-year min contract, the league even reimburses part of his salary. He could be really cheap to keep next year, TBH.

SpursforSix
03-24-2017, 12:46 PM

He's definitely better than certain 34 year old guys.

FkLA
03-24-2017, 12:55 PM
2yrs/35M imho

:tu

SAGirl
03-24-2017, 01:06 PM
This year was back pay. It came straight out of Holt's pocket, and didn't kill our cap situation. The Spurs won't give him anywhere near that much next year, and they won't have to.

I don't know for sure under the new CBA, but I think Manu's big salary this year will put a huge cap hold on the Spurs, so he would probably be the first player signed if they intend to keep him for another year. If they sign him for a 1-year min contract, the league even reimburses part of his salary. He could be really cheap to keep next year, TBH.
Well that's exactly what I meant... I just used different expression... maybe it wasn't clear...

I still think he retires bc at some point it isn't worth it to come back for a min salary when I bet it takes a huge amount of discipline to even get on the court and be in his best shape... but then again look at Tim after retiring he still shows up to the gym bc he has that habit of training. Tim probably retired bc the knees told him "no más". Manu is not quite there yet with his body giving up on him but he's close and he can feel it. He's really at the point where he has to consider it year to year and how he feels physically after the season.

All the NBA contract stuff is extremely confusing to me so I dare not venture into what malabares Spurs will need to go through to reup him.

Spurs also have other FA to take care of so things get complicated.

GSH
03-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Vince Carter is a year older than Manu, and playing pretty damn good for a guy his age. Last season he signed a 3-year, $12M deal. Manu got more than that in a 1-year contract.

I don't think anyone would give Manu a really big contract at his age, but I didn't think he would get the kind of offer(s) he said he got this year. Bottom line, it would be a crime for him to end his career anywhere else. And if he plays one year at the vet minimum, it would be like he got an average of about $8M per year for his last two years - which would have been a pretty reasonable deal. I'm really hoping that's what he is going to do.

IIRC, his $14M salary will create a $16.8M cap hold, because of his Bird rights. (There's another situation that calls for an "average salary" hold of about $6M, but I can't remember what triggers it.) If he signed for the minimum, he would get paid just over $1.5M, but the team would only get charged about $1M. If he signs for more than the min, the team would get charged for whatever they pay him, but at least it would clear the cap hold.

If I got that right, the Spurs could sign Manu for just $1M of cap space, and that would free them up to go after the other players they want. It would be stupid not to have him back for that.

8FOR!3
03-24-2017, 02:16 PM
It's amazing to me that he's not completely washed up at 40. You can tell he works hard and stays in great shape.

DieHardSpursFan1537
03-24-2017, 02:27 PM
2 year contract extension with minimum tbh

Great verteran player who can be a huge role player with regards to guiding the younger players like Simmons, Bertans, Murray, Anderson, etc.

Seventyniner
03-24-2017, 02:29 PM
If I got that right, the Spurs could sign Manu for just $1M of cap space, and that would free them up to go after the other players they want. It would be stupid not to have him back for that.

If Manu is willing to take the min, the Spurs will renounce him and his cap hold, then sign him after all cap space is used. Same goes if they want to give him the room exception, but that might be saved for Lee.

bklynspursfan
03-24-2017, 03:44 PM
People were so sure Manu was retiring, seems that may not be the case.

I hope he comes back. (for the right price of course) Idc how old he is, he does great things at times in that 2nd unit. His passion for the game still shows, and that 2nd unit will need it. No one has shown they can sort of take on more of what Manu does, so why not bring him back if he wants to.

TheDoctor
03-24-2017, 05:24 PM

LMAOOOOO

GSH
03-24-2017, 05:51 PM
If Manu is willing to take the min, the Spurs will renounce him and his cap hold, then sign him after all cap space is used. Same goes if they want to give him the room exception, but that might be saved for Lee.

I mentioned that they might renounce - they renounced Manu's Bird rights a couple of years ago. One way or the other, they are going to have to clear that cap hold. If they use the room exception, like you say, they are going to be hard-capped. That may or may not matter - there are too many moving pieces that we don't have any way of knowing right now.

Bottom line, I'm hoping this year's big contract was enough for Manu to sign for the vet min. He would be a hell of a bargain, because of the league's reimbursement.

coachmac87
03-24-2017, 05:59 PM
I mentioned that they might renounce - they renounced Manu's Bird rights a couple of years ago. One way or the other, they are going to have to clear that cap hold. If they use the room exception, like you say, they are going to be hard-capped. That may or may not matter - there are too many moving pieces that we don't have any way of knowing right now.

Bottom line, I'm hoping this year's big contract was enough for Manu to sign for the vet min. He would be a hell of a bargain, because of the league's reimbursement.

I think all this depends on what the landscape of the rest of the league is and how things go for the team this postseason...if we get beat down and don't pass the first or second round I think it changes everything..but if we contend and can some how truly improve the team via Free Agency by signing CP3 etc and we were close or defending champs I think he'd help the team like he's always done in the past

cjw
03-24-2017, 06:21 PM

Exactly, he'll either be the first signed to free up space for the other dominos to fall or he gets renounced (retires or signs for min / LLE).

It'll be interesting to see how long he can go for beyond this year if at all. He has a lot less minutes than others at his age or younger given later entry into the league (less 82 game seasons) and bench minutes. He's also going to continue evolving his game and remain a positive contributor beyond what he gets paid (this year being the payback year as it had no impact on cap).

DPG21920
03-24-2017, 06:23 PM
He won't have to be the first signed if he's wiling to take the min. SA will just renounce his rights and along with that his entire cap hold goes away. Then he can sign for the min after all their other moves.

DMC
03-24-2017, 08:42 PM
He probably means he improved to 80% this year from his 30% the last few years.

Disagree btw. He improved to about 70% which is not bad

He could play 2 more years but Id give him 5 mins or less a game

Wait, so you're savvy enough to know a difference between 70% and 80% in performance?

spurs10
03-25-2017, 01:24 AM
I'm only glad he's still feeling it and there's a possibility he'll come back another season....or two. Now I've been thinking this season was it for him, but maybe that's not the case.

BillMc
03-25-2017, 01:30 AM
Can they sign him for 1 year at the min, then, he'll have a small cap hold, and they could sign him for whatever they want in a final year? In other words 1 year/minimum next year, then a new contract for a final year at whatever (assuming he signs last). The key is keeping that cap hold low.

Play Boban
03-25-2017, 09:23 AM
Exactly, he'll either be the first signed to free up space for the other dominos to fall or he gets renounced (retires or signs for min / LLE).

It'll be interesting to see how long he can go for beyond this year if at all. He has a lot less minutes than others at his age or younger given later entry into the league (less 82 game seasons) and bench minutes. He's also going to continue evolving his game and remain a positive contributor beyond what he gets paid (this year being the payback year as it had no impact on cap).
Basketball is basketball and he played plenty of it before coming over to the NBA tbh.

UZER
03-25-2017, 06:37 PM
Manu: I know I I can eat some hot dogs but I know it's not 50.

Yeah no shit.

cjw
03-25-2017, 06:51 PM
Basketball is basketball and he played plenty of it before coming over to the NBA tbh.

You don't play 82 games plus playoffs - with 48 minute games - when you play in college or overseas. Huge difference.

Also, Diaw, Felton, Aldridge, Korver, etc. are among the many active players with more regular season minutes than Manu:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/mp_active.html

Can they sign him for 1 year at the min, then, he'll have a small cap hold, and they could sign him for whatever they want in a final year? In other words 1 year/minimum next year, then a new contract for a final year at whatever (assuming he signs last). The key is keeping that cap hold low.

As long as they do it without renouncing him and it's not seen as cap manipulation (pre-existing "wink" that he'll get a big final year deal, then I don't see why not. And can probably keep his small cap hold after the min deal until the absolute end of FA.

Play Boban
03-25-2017, 08:44 PM
You don't play 82 games plus playoffs - with 48 minute games - when you play in college or overseas. Huge difference.

Also, Diaw, Felton, Aldridge, Korver, etc. are among the many active players with more regular season minutes than Manu:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/mp_active.html

As long as they do it without renouncing him and it's not seen as cap manipulation (pre-existing "wink" that he'll get a big final year deal, then I don't see why not. And can probably keep his small cap hold after the min deal until the absolute end of FA.

:lol Whatever, okay, sure.

Pocho La Pantera
03-26-2017, 08:37 AM
Italian Cup, italian league and Europe Cup, plus international games with Argentina.

Play Boban
03-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Italian Cup, italian league and Europe Cup, plus international games with Argentina.

Yep, people have no idea what they're talking about. Dumb 'Mericans who think nothing happens outside the US. Disgusting.

Capt Bringdown
03-26-2017, 01:20 PM
Everything ends. Time for the Human Turnover Machine to ride off into the sunset.

ducks
04-25-2017, 10:29 AM
retire!

TheGreatYacht
04-25-2017, 11:57 AM
retire! ducks on roll he is

Pocho La Pantera
04-25-2017, 01:16 PM
Two more years please!

04-25-2017, 08:31 PM
Two more years please!