PDA

View Full Version : Becky Hammon's trailblazing HC pursuit

SAGirl
03-26-2017, 12:44 AM

spurs10
03-26-2017, 02:53 AM
Wish her all the best and hope she's the first woman to be a HC in the NBA. Only because she gets it and would be a killer head coach in the NBA.

Chris
03-26-2017, 03:02 AM
Wish her the best but just like on a boat at sea she is bad luck. Happy to see her go tbh

SnakeBoy
03-26-2017, 04:26 AM
Hope she stays but she'll probably take the money

SupremeGuy
03-26-2017, 05:04 AM
Remember when some people actually got blocked for misogyny? Dammit... I won't say anything. GL Becky.

MultiTroll
03-26-2017, 08:19 AM
Have no idea if she is just another of Pops Yes Men or not.

How did this factoid avoid media spotlight?:
Hammon, who was born and grew up in the United States (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States), became a naturalized (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalized) Russian citizen in 2008 and represented the Russian national team (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_women%27s_national_basketball_team) in the 2008 and 2012 Olympics.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becky_Hammon#cite_note-sr-1)

MultiTroll
03-26-2017, 08:26 AM
WTF?!

Hammon said she played for Russia primarily to play on the Olympic stage, and it was not a purely financial decision. However, by obtaining Russian citizenship (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_citizenship), her salary with CSKA tripled, and she was eligible to make $250,000 for winning a gold medal for Russia. She would have received a $150,000 bonus for winning a silver medal.[15] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becky_Hammon#cite_note-espn-15) (ended up with bronze)

Mr. Body
03-26-2017, 08:57 AM
WTF?!

Hammon said she played for Russia primarily to play on the Olympic stage, and it was not a purely financial decision. However, by obtaining Russian citizenship (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_citizenship), her salary with CSKA tripled, and she was eligible to make $250,000 for winning a gold medal for Russia. She would have received a $150,000 bonus for winning a silver medal.[15] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becky_Hammon#cite_note-espn-15) (ended up with bronze)

So what?

SupremeGuy
03-26-2017, 12:22 PM
WTF?!

Hammon said she played for Russia primarily to play on the Olympic stage, and it was not a purely financial decision. However, by obtaining Russian citizenship (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_citizenship), her salary with CSKA tripled, and she was eligible to make $250,000 for winning a gold medal for Russia. She would have received a $150,000 bonus for winning a silver medal.[15] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becky_Hammon#cite_note-espn-15) (ended up with bronze)Very Pop like. They hate our country. Damn commies.

8FOR!3
03-26-2017, 12:42 PM
Think if she waited it out she could get a higher profile job as a men's head coach college or pro, but if she takes it congrats to her.

Proxy
03-26-2017, 01:50 PM
yeah, I wanted her to go for a head coaching job in a mens league

itzsoweezee
03-26-2017, 03:03 PM
I really hope she doesn't take a women's team job. She can definitely coach men.

hater
03-26-2017, 03:30 PM
Good riddance.

No more distracting gum chewing

cjw
03-27-2017, 12:55 AM
Coaching women will only be worth it for her if she can recruit a team to compete with UConn. Otherwise may as well go and try for a lower level men's D1 gig.

TheGreatYacht
03-27-2017, 04:13 AM
Very Pop like. They hate our country. Damn commies.
http://www.dailysquat.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Coz_b_9XEAATTRl-646x437.jpg

NASpurs
03-27-2017, 12:17 PM

SupremeGuy
03-27-2017, 01:00 PM
She turned down the job? What an idiot.

TheGreatYacht
03-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Smart move. She would've been irrelevant coaching women's college basketball. Everyone else is just playing for 2nd if you're not UConn.

At least now she has a chance to coach in the NBA.

spurs1990
03-27-2017, 01:26 PM
I like her trajectory with San Antonio.

Among Messina, Borego, and Udoka, they'll be a opening maybe even next year as I'm sure any of them will get HC offers.

That means she gets moved to the front bench, and from there her NBA roadmap will really pick up steam.

SpursforSix
03-27-2017, 02:09 PM
Anyone think the Spurs are going to make her the first female head coach?

cd98
03-27-2017, 03:28 PM
Well as long as she sits on the Spurs bench she can take part credit for 60 win teams and know that progressive Pop will talk her up regardless if she can coach. But if she head coaches in Florida, she owns that record for good or bad. Probably best to wait for a sure fire opportunity before jumping ship. I don't know that an NBA team will hire her without her coaching for a full season somewhere, but she should make sure wherever that is that it will be the best spot if she wants to coach in the NBA.

SAGirl
03-27-2017, 03:49 PM
No...
I think she needs experience coaching on her own b4 such a task or at least a higher coaching gig than the one she has now.

She probably wrestled with this decision a good deal. I think she smartly chose to bide her time and wait for something better, but she's looking around.

SpursforSix
03-27-2017, 04:01 PM
No...
I think she needs experience coaching on her own b4 such a task or at least a higher coaching gig than the one she has now.

She probably wrestled with this decision a good deal. I think she smartly chose to bide her time and wait for something better, but she's looking around.

I hope the best for her as long as it's not with the Spurs. And I'm not saying that a woman can't understand the game as well as a man. Just that I don't believe a woman will ever convince 12 dudes that she knows what she's doing.

spurs1990
03-27-2017, 04:17 PM
I hope the best for her as long as it's not with the Spurs. And I'm not saying that a woman can't understand the game as well as a man. Just that I don't believe a woman will ever convince 12 dudes that she knows what she's doing.

Look I'm as right wing as you can get but I absolutely think Hammond would in fact command the attention and dedication of her own NBA team.... with the caveat being that that team is an iteration of what we see today in San Antonio.
Plainly speaking if she stays with this Popovich-Buford built organization for 10-15 years, she would ascend to the HC job.

My prediction would be her taking the reigns from whoever follows Popovich after he leaves in 2020.

She'd be following Budenholzer's blueprint of being an assistant from 1997-2013.

sasaint
03-27-2017, 05:57 PM
Smart move. She would've been irrelevant coaching women's college basketball. Everyone else is just playing for 2nd if you're not UConn.

At least now she has a chance to coach in the NBA.

Exactly. She has a lot of cachet being the first full-time female assistant coach in the NBA - and with the Spurs. Why would she go to UF to coach an also-ran women's NCAA team and become one of the herd of female head coaches in NCAA women's basketball?

Play Boban
03-27-2017, 06:19 PM
Parker needs her to fulfill his needs and desires.

Play Boban
03-27-2017, 06:20 PM
Becky is a Russian infiltrator. A spy.

SpursforSix
03-27-2017, 08:29 PM
Look I'm as right wing as you can get but I absolutely think Hammond would in fact command the attention and dedication of her own NBA team.... with the caveat being that that team is an iteration of what we see today in San Antonio.
Plainly speaking if she stays with this Popovich-Buford built organization for 10-15 years, she would ascend to the HC job.

My prediction would be her taking the reigns from whoever follows Popovich after he leaves in 2020.

She'd be following Budenholzer's blueprint of being an assistant from 1997-2013.

I'm not couching it in terms of right wing / left wing. She could have the greatest basketball mind in the world but I just don't think she could command a team of young millionaire men. It's hard enough for an experienced male coach to do. That being said, the only place where she would have a chance is in SA where they have a culture of not putting up with bullshit.

K...
03-27-2017, 08:33 PM
I'm not couching it in terms of right wing / left wing. She could have the greatest basketball mind in the world but I just don't think she could command a team of young millionaire men. It's hard enough for an experienced male coach to do. That being said, the only place where she would have a chance is in SA where they have a culture of not putting up with bullshit.

which coaches actually do control their young millionaires?

SpursforSix
03-27-2017, 08:43 PM
which coaches actually do control their young millionaires?

Not many do it well. But she'll get looked at under a more powerful microscope than anyone. Which is why I think she'd have to work for the Spurs where they try to put character guys in the team. God forbid her team had the first pick and the hands down best player was someone like Boogie.

DMC
03-27-2017, 09:11 PM
She had no business leaving a groundbreaking job to regress back into a cisgender role in Florida. I say she sticks it out to be a HC in the NBA. Lakers could be looking soon.

rjv
03-28-2017, 10:45 AM
she's young and with the best organization. i think she made a solid choice to stay here.

thiste
03-28-2017, 04:20 PM
She wants to be the "first" something something. Good for her.

GSH
03-28-2017, 05:03 PM
There's an article on NBA.com with Adam Silver talking about how he wants a female head coach "sooner rather than later". I don't give a fuck if someone wants to hire a female head coach, I really don't. As long as she's as ready for it as other candidates. But I really, really get sick of politics and social engineering mixed in my sports.

If Silver really wants things to be all equal, he should just merge the NBA and the WNBA, and let nature take it's course. Maybe set some kind of quota for the number of female players each roster has to carry?

SnakeBoy
03-28-2017, 06:22 PM

Yes. Pop's a bleeding heart lib. He'd like nothing better than to hand the reigns over to her to "break the glass ceiling".

DrunkTXLabrat
03-28-2017, 06:34 PM
Honestly thought the Mavs could draft Griner.

There's an article on NBA.com with Adam Silver talking about how he wants a female head coach "sooner rather than later". I don't give a fuck if someone wants to hire a female head coach, I really don't. As long as she's as ready for it as other candidates. But I really, really get sick of politics and social engineering mixed in my sports.

If Silver really wants things to be all equal, he should just merge the NBA and the WNBA, and let nature take it's course. Maybe set some kind of quota for the number of female players each roster has to carry?

gospursgojas
03-28-2017, 06:55 PM
Why go to NCAA womens basketball and lose to UCONN for 20 straight years.

tim_duncan_fan
03-28-2017, 07:53 PM

Wah wah wah. :cry

SpursforSix
03-29-2017, 02:33 AM

Spurs have a head start with Parker.

dbreiden83080
03-29-2017, 04:49 AM
I think a women would have to prove she can coach Men first in College. Although the way Silver was talking the other day, it was like he would just tell a team to hire a woman anyway..

Chris
03-29-2017, 06:24 AM
I think a women would have to prove she can coach Men first in College. Although the way Silver was talking the other day, it was like he would just tell a team to hire a woman anyway..

If she went to Toronto Trudeau would exploit the fuck out of that. :lol Drake could hit on her instead of that moose Doris Burke.