PDA

View Full Version : Devin Brown Told To Lose Headband

mcornelio
10-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Devin Brown Told To Lose Headband
Excerpt: P. Miller, Salt Lake Tribune
Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Maybe everyone didn't always remember the reserve guard's name during his three seasons with the Spurs, but Devin Brown still had an identity in San Antonio. "I was the guy in the headband," Brown said. "That's how I got recognized."

It's back to anonymity now, however, at least until his game gets him noticed.

Brown's trademark headband is just a kitschy memento in Utah, where coach Jerry Sloan prohibits Jazz players from adding any individuality to their standard game uniform. "We're trying to win as a team, and I think we should look like it," the coach said.

Sloan's players don't leave their jerseys untucked, their drawstrings out of their shorts, their socks cut too low, their shorts too baggy - and they don't wear headbands.

"He wants everything here to be together - we're all part of a team - so it's not that big of a deal," said Brown, who signed with the Jazz as a free agent in September. "I can understand how a headband would be a little bit of individualism."

In fact, that's why Brown has been wearing a headband. Since he was only getting about 18 minutes a night on a team full of stars, it wasn't easy for the 26-year-old guard to stand out. He tried to play with extra energy, and he wore a headband.

The Spurs even encouraged the look, which only Brown and former Spurs teammate Stephen Jackson embraced. San Antonio had purchased a shipment of headbands, "and they didn't know what to do with them," Brown said. "They were looking for guys to wear them, so I volunteered, and it just kind of stuck."

The headbands didn't really serve any practical purpose, so while Brown was surprised by Sloan's rule, he isn't about to complain. "Now I'll just have to get [recognition] by producing in the games," he said.

ducks
10-12-2005, 03:57 PM
sloan=old school

Phenomanul
10-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Brown is just saying what he is supposed to say...

BTW headbands do serve a practical purpose... They keep forehead sweat from dripping down into your eyes.

Sloan is tough.

Vashner
10-12-2005, 04:06 PM
WTF? Has he heard of Sweat? They also help keep you from slipping too.

Sloan is a NBADan (sorry that's the most insulting thing I could call him).

angel_luv
We should retire Devin's headband since Pop gave his number away. = )

nkdlunch
He should make them all wear Stockton style shorts

spur219
10-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Stupid rule by Sloan.

SpursWoman
10-12-2005, 04:11 PM
San Antonio had purchased a shipment of headbands, "and they didn't know what to do with them," Brown said. "They were looking for guys to wear them, so I volunteered, and it just kind of stuck."

Why does that remind me of "And all the girlies say I'm pretty fly for a white guy"? :wtf

:lol :lol

SpursWoman
10-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Where's GhostWriter? :lmao

BigDaddyMatty
10-12-2005, 04:19 PM
He should make them all wear Stockton style shorts
Please god, no.

ShoogarBear
10-12-2005, 04:20 PM
We should retire Devin's headband since Pop gave his number away. = )

:lol :tu

timvp
10-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Jerry Sloan is the best thing that ever happened to Devin Brown.

ShoogarBear
10-12-2005, 04:28 PM
By playing for both Pop and Sloan, Devin is going to become a nice "crusty old veteran" someday.

Gummi
10-12-2005, 04:28 PM
I like it. There's nothing more stupid then seeing a player with a headband. Also those sleeves that Kobe and Iverson sometimes wear. It's just stupid. Great idea. If I were a NBA coach I would do the same.

ducks
10-12-2005, 04:31 PM
why is it stupid?

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Sloan isn't old school, he's from the school that burned down before they built the old school. I'd half expect him to begin every pregame speech with, "Now in my day..."

I think headbands got a bad rap because all the Jailblazers used to wear them.

Spurminator
10-12-2005, 04:40 PM
I like it. There's nothing more stupid then seeing a player with a headband. Also those sleeves that Kobe and Iverson sometimes wear. It's just stupid. Great idea. If I were a NBA coach I would do the same.

Except your reasoning is completely different than Sloan's.

SWC Bonfire
10-12-2005, 04:42 PM
What a thug. He gets paid big money, he should dress professionally.

:lol

sa_butta
10-12-2005, 04:43 PM
He should make them all wear Stockton style shortsThat would be hideous.

ChumpDumper
10-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Last night AI had a sleeve with a spider web on it. No comment yet from the league.

sa_butta
10-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Iverson wears the sleeve every game to cover racist tattoos.What are the racist tatoos?
http://www.alleniversonlive.com/tattoos/index.shtml

The black panther?

BigVee
10-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Last night AI had a sleeve with a spider web on it. No comment yet from the league.

I saw that. Can't believe that he'll be allowed to wear it during the season.

Kori Ellis
10-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Speaking of Sloan, did you see his comments on the dress code ...

"If you don't like this business, you can always go work somewhere else," :lol Sloan told the Deseret News. "We've got to try to sell this league any way we can, if it's a positive."

Solid D
10-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Headbands encouraged by the Spurs? G-Dub must've gotten through to Bookbinder after all.

Headbands are cool. Headbands and wristbands work for all the good Dodgeball teams. :smokin

Brutalis
10-12-2005, 05:31 PM
It's not stupid.

Geez.

He wants his players to be uniformed and equal without distractions.

Which for a team that always falls short, is good. They have a system, just like we do. No use in insulting theirs unless some of you wanna take some beef for ours.

T Park
10-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Sloan doesn't want any peanut heads.

Sloan is prob the most underrated coach in the history of basketball.

Him and pop tie for best coaches in the league right now.

j-6
10-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Did you know that last season Utah finished with a losing record for the first time since 1983, two years before Stockton was drafted and three years before Malone?

exstatic
10-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Headband = greatness

Utah = no rings

Do the math.

ZStomp
10-12-2005, 07:26 PM
I don't like headbands myself. I don't like the look.

I didn't like DB wearing one...

exstatic
10-12-2005, 07:41 PM
What a shocker: TPark sides with authority. Film at 11. :rollin

2centsworth
10-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Sloan is worried about all the wrong things. It's better defense and shooting that wins games, not something as silly as a headband.

Whatever Jerry. He will get a chance to prove how great he is without Stockton and Malone.

Money316
10-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Iverson wears the sleeve every game to cover racist tattoos.
Bullshit white boy! http://commarts.wisc.edu/Grad/Images/Small/Grad_Rhetoric_Jackson_Jesse.jpg

Solid D
10-12-2005, 08:11 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/jrperla60/

Allen also has approx. 21 tattoos, including "VA's Finest" on his left forearm; Tiuara and Deuce (his kids names) on his right chest; Prayer Hands with his mom's and grandmother's initials on his left upper chest; "NBN" on his left inner forearm; "Jewelz" written upside down on his right inner forearm; "Bad Rep" on his right forearm; "CRUTHIC," the name of his record company; and "Only the Strong Survive."

Brutalis
10-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Sloan is worried about all the wrong things. It's better defense and shooting that wins games, not something as silly as a headband.

Whatever Jerry. He will get a chance to prove how great he is without Stockton and Malone.
Try looking deeper than that.

Obstructed_View
10-12-2005, 10:08 PM
http://www.sportshollywood.com/images/iversonsign2.jpg

John T
10-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Does this mean the value of our game worn Devin headband will go up now? :lol

Carie

Dre_7
10-13-2005, 04:31 PM

:lol Everything has to be racial for GiG.

He wore the sleeve when he hurt his arm. Now he still wears it cuz he says he feels more comfortable with it on. Or at least thats what I heard.

Sense
10-13-2005, 04:37 PM
:idiot

boutons
10-13-2005, 10:40 PM
Devin played 1 min tonight vs Pacers.

oops, no, D. Brown of Pacers played 1 min vs Jazz.

D. Brown of Jazz STARTED and played 22 min, 10 pts vs Pacers.