PDA

View Full Version : Most demoralizing loss of the season

Amuseddaysleeper
03-29-2017, 10:53 PM
On the upside, maybe we can rest more often the rest of the way. Some our players really need it.

timtonymanu
03-29-2017, 10:55 PM
Honestly didn't feel safe when Spurs went up by 20. as usual they proved me right with their choking and overall softness.

TheGreatYacht
03-29-2017, 10:56 PM
Start the game threads from now on, tbh..

Probably better off with you than whoever started today's GT....

Amuseddaysleeper
03-29-2017, 10:57 PM
Honestly didn't feel safe when Spurs went up by 20. as usual they proved me right with their choking and overall softness.

Me either. I actually hate it when the Spurs start off strong.

There is no shame in losing to the Warriors, it just sucks to see the Spurs mentally explode so quickly.

It's also downright scary how easily the Warriors could take the Spurs out of their offense while the Warriors had a layup drill out there.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-29-2017, 10:57 PM

Can't get no worse, tbh.

phxspurfan
03-29-2017, 11:00 PM
Please rest this gimmicky switch everything leave the weak side corner 3 wide open defense Pop

timtonymanu

There is no shame in losing to the Warriors, it just sucks to see the Spurs mentally explode so quickly.

It's also downright scary how easily the Warriors could take the Spurs out of their offense while the Warriors had a layup drill out there.

The writing was on the wall when all season this team relied on Parker and Manu (even though he's still a good player) as their main guards. Not even MVP level Kawhi can balance that out. Hoping this team gets their shit together by 2018 offseason.

cjw
Better for this to happen to the Spurs now than in a playoff game to the Warriors. Parker and Kawhi were both worthless tonight initiating the offense and Aldridge couldn't get anything going.

Warriors also shot over 50% from deep, so going to be hard to beat them. Combine that with a Spurs shooting slump.

Forget about the one seed and get the kinks out of the system. WCF is probably ceiling for this team of Warriors are playing like this without Durant anyway, but no reason they shouldn't get a shot at them.

tmtcsc
03-29-2017, 11:04 PM
Disgusting loss, no doubt. Spurs did not play disciplined basketball and looked lost on offense and defense. They punched first, got punched back and stopped playing. HORRIBLE defense.

Chinook
03-29-2017, 11:06 PM
The worst part of this game is that it felt like the LAC and OKC series. The Spurs can't win with Kawhi playing like shit. They don't need him to be great on any given night, but when he uses up so many possessions and does so little with them, it sucks the life out of the team. Kawhi got 19 points on 28 possessions. Green and LMA combined for 33 points on 28 possessions. Gasol got 18 points on 15 possessions. Just disgusting from him, though I blame Pop much more for not actually running plays for anyone.

The Spurs can't win with making Kawhiso the basis of their attack. They just can't. Pop needs to control the offense much better than he does to give more shots to other players and to give Kawhi better shots than he can get against a D focused on stopping his dribble game.

sananspursfan21
03-29-2017, 11:07 PM
I'm kind of in shock. I've never seen any Spurs team turn from all out energy and tearing it up and then play like absolute shit

G-Dawgg
03-29-2017, 11:09 PM
This Loss is on Kawhi Leonard. MVP's don't pull disappearing acts like he did. Not only was he chucking a poor fg% but Gasol, Aldridge, Green, showed up to play today had better games than he did. Kawhi did not show up to play. Not the performance you expect to see from an MVP candidate.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-29-2017, 11:10 PM
The writing was on the wall when all season this team relied on Parker and Manu (even though he's still a good player) as their main guards. Not even MVP level Kawhi can balance that out. Hoping this team gets their shit together by 2018 offseason.

My biggest worry about the Spurs having good regular seasons is that the FO doesn't realize that they need to gut half this roster.

Hopefully Patty walks and they get rid of LMA. Simmons and Kyle need to go as well.

Amuseddaysleeper
I'm kind of in shock. I've never seen any Spurs team turn from all out energy and tearing it up and then play like absolute shit

Watch Game 1 of the OKC series and then watch the rest of the series. Spurs are notorious for having jekyl and hyde performances.

mexicanjunior
Probably​ worst regular season loss in Spurs history...Don't recall an embarrassment like this on national TV...

100%duncan
03-29-2017, 11:11 PM

A parker "injury" so he can rest up until the playoffs would be nice tbh. Good call

Darius Bieber
03-29-2017, 11:12 PM

Yep. This was a reverse Game 5, 2014 Finals. Spurs started hot and gained a big league using a pace that couldn't be kept up.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-29-2017, 11:13 PM
Probably​ worst regular season loss in Spurs history...Don't recall an embarrassment like this on national TV...

That T-Mac game was pretty bad, tbh :lol

Chinook
03-29-2017, 11:14 PM
Reminds me of the LAL series in 08.

daslicer
03-29-2017, 11:14 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-29-2017, 11:15 PM

That game 1 was brutal.

Stupid plane getting the Spurs into LA really late, sucked too.

Keepin' it real
03-29-2017, 11:15 PM

Why don't you research every Spurs regular season loss in the team's history, do some analysis, then report back to us to confirm if it indeed was the worse loss ever. Thanks.

BillMc
03-29-2017, 11:16 PM

I was 2-0 on Warriors GTs. :hat

BillMc
03-29-2017, 11:17 PM

Except that game Spurs slept on a plane.

mexicanjunior
Why don't you research every Spurs regular season loss in the team's history, do some analysis, then report back to us to confirm if it indeed was the worse loss ever. Thanks.

I'll get right on that...

baseline bum
As soon as Golden State got within 5 I figured the Spurs would lose by 15 and turned on my Playstation.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-29-2017, 11:18 PM
As soon as Golden State got within 5 I figured the Spurs would lose by 15 and turned on my Playstation.

What are you playing lately? Horizon Zero Dawn is sick!

tmtcsc
03-29-2017, 11:18 PM

You must be new.

TheGreatYacht
03-29-2017, 11:19 PM
A parker "injury" so he can rest up until the playoffs would be nice tbh. Good call
More like, I hope Manure limps into retirement after tearing his achilles

spursistan
03-29-2017, 11:20 PM
As demoralizing as it gets...

- At home (check)
- Led by 20+ (check)
- Opponent on B2B (check)
- Opponent short-handed (without an MVP-caliber player) (check)
- High stake game (Top seed chase) (check)

A brutal reality (check).....

daslicer
The loss sucked but it doesn't phase me. I always think of 6 after losses like these. 6 was hell on earth compared to this loss.

Keepin' it real
I'll get right on that...

:lol

PopTheGOAT
I'm not saying this game was that important, but it told a lot.
I just don't see any way the Spurs can beat GS with Durant healthy. They're just too much.
We can beat any other team in the league, just not GS. It's not like we didn't expect this preseason, though.

The reality is, we cannot win with Parker as the starter. We need a serious offensive threat at PG that can keep up with all the movement on off ball screens etc. by Curry. He kills us. I'm convinced that Aldridge and Kawhi are good enough as 2 of our top 3 players considering the role players we have. But that 3rd guy is what we need. We need Murray and we need him now. Sadly, I'm pretty sure he isn't going to be ready in that role next year, and probably not even the season after. I'm not even certain he'll ever be that guy. What I do know is we have to find out what we have in him, and soon. After an offseason of development, I think we'll have a good idea of what to expect from him.

Darius Bieber

- At home (check)
- Led by 20+ (check)

baseline bum
03-29-2017, 11:21 PM
What are you playing lately? Horizon Zero Dawn is sick!

I finished that a week ago, amazing game. Right now I'm playing Demon's Souls on my PS3. I loved Bloodborne so much on PS4 that I bought the entire Souls series (Demon's Souls for PS3, Dark Souls 1-3 for PC).

BillMc
03-29-2017, 11:21 PM
Going forward we should rest some guys against OKC. If Houston loses to Dubs then 1 seed is lost (if isn't already). Secure the 2 and shut Kawhi and everyone over 30 down for a few games. Nobody old or important should go on the Portland/Utah road trip to close the season. Get ready for the Grizz and Rockets, and hope Dubs are beat up (as usual) by WCF. Loss is demoralizing but no team other than the Dubs has a better chance to ring than the Spurs.

John Petrucci
03-29-2017, 11:22 PM
If some posters didn't know we are already done, we took a loss by 12 at home on their b2b without KD...after starting 23-3. Not sure what some people need to see to see that we can't handle these guys if they're playing like themselves at all. The Kawhi situation is unfortunate. He's definitely consistent, and I think GS is aware of it.

This is an absolutely devastating and pathetic loss. Fucking David West with a +24...

timtonymanu
03-29-2017, 11:23 PM

- At home (check)
- Led by 20+ (check)

I was thinking this team would blow the game after going up 20. It was such a predictable outcome. :lol fuck this loss

Amuseddaysleeper
03-29-2017, 11:23 PM
I finished that a week ago, amazing game. Right now I'm playing Demon's Souls on my PS3. I loved Bloodborne so much on PS4 that I bought the entire Souls series (Demon's Souls for PS3, Dark Souls 1-3 for PC).

If you like bloodborne/dark souls check out this game Nioh. I'm loving it and it's similar to bloodborne but with a samurai style.

ElNono
03-29-2017, 11:24 PM
Nah, we got beat by the best team in the NBA right now... demoralizing are losses to the freaking Knicks

skulls138
03-29-2017, 11:26 PM
The worst part of this game is that it felt like the LAC and OKC series. The Spurs can't win with Kawhi playing like shit. They don't need him to be great on any given night, but when he uses up so many possessions and does so little with them, it sucks the life out of the team. Kawhi got 19 points on 28 possessions. Green and LMA combined for 33 points on 28 possessions. Gasol got 18 points on 15 possessions. Just disgusting from him, though I blame Pop much more for not actually running plays for anyone.

The Spurs can't win with making Kawhiso the basis of their attack. They just can't. Pop needs to control the offense much better than he does to give more shots to other players and to give Kawhi better shots than he can get against a D focused on stopping his dribble game.You start blaming losses on Kawhi youre fucking up. Yes there shouldve been more passes but Kawhi is not a ball hog, hes doing his job and is the best, when needed, scorer on our team. They out hustled us and out composured us.

BillMc
03-29-2017, 11:26 PM
Spurs can't win if they don't win the battle of the benches. That was more demoralizing than letting the leas slip away.

Still, I'm sure Pop didn't show all his cards. And who knows, Durant may make them worse. :lol

Budkin
03-29-2017, 11:27 PM

Reminded me of Game 5 against the Mavs in 2003

Budkin
03-29-2017, 11:28 PM
Spurs can't win if they don't win the battle of the benches. That was more demoralizing than letting the leas slip away.

Still, I'm sure Pop didn't show all his cards. And who knows, Durant may make them worse. :lol

Part of me thinks that was part of Pop's plan, but come on...

baseline bum
If you like bloodborne/dark souls check out this game Nioh. I'm loving it and it's similar to bloodborne but with a samurai style.

I have such a backlog of games right now I probably won't buy it until it's $30 on disc (I was tempted last week when it was $40 on PS Store, but I want a phyiscal disc for AAA console games). I was excited about Nioh for months but then didn't play any of the demo because those three days it was available I was right in the middle of Bloodborne (which is the best game I have played since Skyrim in 2011).

John Petrucci
Nah, we got beat by the best team in the NBA right now... demoralizing are losses to the freaking Knicks

would agree if KD was playing. that Warriors locker room is sooooo confident against us now. If they had any doubts, they are all gone now.

they know we're unconfident head cases just waiting to unravel at any moment.

sananspursfan21
03-29-2017, 11:29 PM
You must be new.

Nope. Been watching these guys for 20 years. Just never seen such a stark turn around in a matter of minutes like tonight. Seen tons of disappointment, it's just usually more gradual.

Capt Bringdown
03-29-2017, 11:30 PM

A loss to a lessor opponent just tells you that you had an off night.
However, the way the Spurs got knocked down tonight and stayed on the mat is more revealing. Especially when so much was at stake. The Warriors took a reading on the Spurs' mettle and saw that it was held together with marshmallow and masking tape.

Chinook
03-29-2017, 11:32 PM
You start blaming losses on Kawhi youre fucking up. Yes there shouldve been more passes but Kawhi is not a ball hog, hes doing his job and is the best, when needed, scorer on our team. They out hustled us and out composured us.

I don't give a shit about calling Kawhi names. He used too damned many possessions in a game where other guys were scoring well. That's on him. You can't be the best player and keep eating even when you're throwing up everything. That's Kobesque. The way people refuse to see what was right in front of them is just the same as with Kobe fans.

sananspursfan21
03-29-2017, 11:33 PM
Kawhi couldn't get any room at all. Looked like a run of the mill role player out there

ElNono
03-29-2017, 11:34 PM
A loss to a lessor opponent just tells you that you had an off night.
However, the way the Spurs got knocked down tonight and stayed on the mat is more revealing. Especially when so much was at stake. The Warriors took a reading on the Spurs' mettle and saw that it was held together with marshmallow and masking tape.

People keep saying what "was at stake"... what was at stake? That the Spurs would clean sweep the regular season series against them?

Anybody really thinks Pop was going to stop resting players and give chase for that #1 seed at this point?

sananspursfan21
03-29-2017, 11:35 PM
Reminded me of Game 5 against the Mavs in 2003

Did this kind of thing against the Shaq and Kobe Lakers too in the playoffs. Just didn't last an entire quarter and didn't make a u-turn after a commercial break

baseline bum
03-29-2017, 11:36 PM
The most demoralizing part of this game was watching David West get offensive rebounds. That guy has looked dead all season and yet he outplayed Kawhi tonight.

Ditty
03-29-2017, 11:37 PM
Blame me for wearing my Kawhi Leonard socks I bought at Dick's two weeks ago. Don't blame anyone else damnit ! :lol

tmtcsc
03-29-2017, 11:38 PM
I don't give a shit about calling Kawhi names. He used too damned many possessions in a game where other guys were scoring well. That's on him. You can't be the best player and keep eating even when you're throwing up everything. That's Kobesque. The way people refuse to see what was right in front of them is just the same as with Kobe fans.

Good analysis. He was off tonight and kept making poor decisions. The ball stopped moving with him in the lineup. The Spurs can't beat GS by being a 1 man show. Others need to be involved and they need to make GS chase them with their passing. Didn't see that tonight.

$pursDynasty
03-29-2017, 11:39 PM
It felt like a microcosm of the Thunder series lastyear. We start off dominant but unable to knock the opponent out. Then after they make an adjustment, see seem incapable of doing the same as the opponent pulls away.

Southwest Texas Fan
03-29-2017, 11:40 PM
Nope. Been watching these guys for 20 years. Just never seen such a stark turn around in a matter of minutes like tonight. Seen tons of disappointment, it's just usually more gradual.

I saw Mcgrady beat us all by himself in a matter of seconds.

DarrinS
03-29-2017, 11:41 PM
Disappointing, yes. Demoralizing, no.

Pop kept taking hot players out of the game.

Russ
03-29-2017, 11:44 PM
On the bright side, the playoff seedings are shaping up nicely. It looks like the Spurs can avoid the Clips and OKC throughout the tournament.

tmtcsc
03-29-2017, 11:46 PM
It felt like a microcosm of the Thunder series lastyear. We start off dominant but unable to knock the opponent out. Then after they make an adjustment, see seem incapable of doing the same as the opponent pulls away.

Its hard to have faith in yourself when your coach doesn't believe in you either. His bullshit gushing over the Warriors is tired. Stop praising other teams and start coaching your own. Get mad you sons a bitches. Find some juice.

daslicer
03-29-2017, 11:50 PM
Its hard to have faith in yourself when your coach doesn't believe in you either. His bullshit gushing over the Warriors is tired. Stop praising other teams and start coaching your own. Get mad you sons a bitches. Find some juice.

Pop has always been like that when it comes to the opponent. He did that shit in the early '00s with the Lakers. Pop always like's to over praise the opponent to take away the psychological pressure from his team when it comes to winning. I think it's pretty annoying and stupid.

james evans
03-29-2017, 11:55 PM

2 things happen when we start out strong.

1. Popovich starts his bullshit
2. The refs start their bullshit to keep the game competitive.

HarlemHeat37
03-30-2017, 12:03 AM
Meaningless game(for those that already knew the Warriors were much better than SA), but it was pretty sad watching David West destroy the Spurs, tbh:lol

phxspurfan
03-30-2017, 01:22 AM

You don't remember 0.4?

Or 2002 against the Lakers?

Or 2005 losses against the Pistons in the Finals?

2006 losses against the Mavs and Suns?

Or 2009 against the Lakers?

Or 2011 against the Grizz?

this team has had its share of super embarrassing defeats

Darius Bieber
03-30-2017, 01:23 AM
You don't remember 0.4?

Or 2002 against the Lakers?

Or 2009 against the Lakers?

Or 2011 against the Grizz?

He said regular season loss. Try reading correctly first.

kobyz
03-30-2017, 04:17 AM
pop keep making from the spurs a sad joke like he does in all history with all those pathetic loses and leads blowing....

G-Dawgg
03-30-2017, 05:37 AM
Kawhi doing his best Kobe Bryant impression and chucked up a 7-20 night. For 35 fg%. He was 0/5 for 3pt, and had 5 turnovers.I love my Spurs but Kawhi, you ain't da real MVP.....

r0drig0lac
03-30-2017, 09:28 AM
Meaningless game(for those that already knew the Warriors were much better than SA), but it was pretty sad watching David West destroy the Spurs, tbh:lol

rjv
03-30-2017, 09:59 AM
this was a loss to a team on a roll and that is clicking at the right time so i can't say it was too much of a let down. i am more bothered by the losses to the knicks, blazers, orlando, the mavs and the game against the hawks and bucks we gave away. add those to the W column and we are locked into the 1 seed. then again, GS appears to be streaking to their second title in three years.

superbigtime
03-30-2017, 11:04 AM
D Worst's best game of the year?

dabom
03-30-2017, 11:12 AM
OP when the Spurs beat a contending team. "Doesn't mean anything"

When we lose a game. "Bunch of pretenders" :lol

theman21
03-30-2017, 11:22 AM
Seriously this is way overboard. I prefer a gut check than peaking early and sucking in the playoffs. Also don't forget we embassed the hell out of GSW in the first matchup this season.

The game was certainly a reality check for some...But I wouldn't correlate too much from it, Spurs can compete, but it won't be easy, and thankfully games like this temper expectations from unrealistic Spurs fans.

03-30-2017, 11:30 AM
I don't know why anyone's surprised. Warriors have always been a half tier above other elite teams. Then they added Durant...

Warriors took a hit on the bench this year so they're not quite there yet but when their bench over achieves, they'll look amazing. Also when the playoffs shorten the rotations, they'll look good without lulls in scoring.

Chillen
03-30-2017, 11:31 AM
Spurs blew the game and Warriors were hungrier. What this shows is the Spurs will be a really tough out for the Warriors in these playoffs.

Dex
03-30-2017, 11:45 AM
:wakeup Can the playoffs start already?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-30-2017, 11:59 AM
Spurs blew the game and Warriors were hungrier. What this shows is the Spurs will be a really tough out for the Warriors in these playoffs.

It shows that the Warriors can take the Spurs out of their completely while the Spurs can only do it for a small stretch. Warriors outscored the Spurs 103-69 after the first quarter. This is while being on a b2b playing Houston the night before, and without Durant.

The Spurs won't be able to win more than one game against the Warriors when Durant returns. Spurs are soft and settle for jumpers. Against Cleveland they attacked the rim and good things happen. Against GS it was a layup fest. GS had bench players playing as well as anyone for SA. When their fourth best player (Klay) can outplay our #1 player you know the Spurs are going to get murdered.

TampaDude
03-30-2017, 12:16 PM
Didn't the Heat thump us by 30 on national television a few years back?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-30-2017, 12:19 PM

In 2012 and we choked in the WCF.

TampaDude
03-30-2017, 12:22 PM

The WCF against OKC? That wasn't so much a choke as a SternJob.

Kuvai
03-30-2017, 01:01 PM
We aren't winning with that Pop Beard...

Another 1st/2nd round exit on the way... :D

Amuseddaysleeper
03-30-2017, 01:12 PM
The WCF against OKC? That wasn't so much a choke as a SternJob.

Losing 4 straight can't be blamed on the refs. Game 6 was brutal ref wise I agree, but the Thunder were the better team. They were the better team last year as well unfortunately.

DieHardSpursFan1537
03-30-2017, 01:15 PM
While Kawhi's shooting was definatley a little off last night, we had all the cards up our sleeves to win this one yet we didn't. Pop's continual ignorance to start Porker is crippling us.

TD 21
03-30-2017, 04:06 PM
Not really. Anyone who's not delusional knows there's a gargantuan gap between these two teams and given that the Spurs would have swept the season series with a win, you had to know they were going to take the game. Maybe the ease or speed at which they did it was somewhat surprising, but that's about it.

The players know they can't beat them too, which is why they've deferred to them all season and generally talking about "if we want to go far", as opposed to the usual "if we want to be the last team standing". So it's not even like this would destroy their belief.

It's more frustrating than anything. I don't take sports as seriously as a I did pre '15, but it's still annoying that the 2nd best or at least stable team in the league, has no chance at beating the best team in the league. They piece they need, they can't attain and even if it is already on the roster, it doesn't time well with most of the other pieces.

Proxy
03-30-2017, 04:08 PM
surprised anyone here gets down about anything after 2013

phxspurfan
03-30-2017, 05:21 PM

Yes and most fans here weren't fans even 4 years ago. It's like Warriors fans. They don't even know how bad the Warriors once were

Horse
03-30-2017, 06:19 PM
Choked my ass we were on our way to a sweep when the league sent word to the zebras.

daslicer
03-30-2017, 07:02 PM
Yes and most fans here weren't fans even 4 years ago. It's like Lakers fans. They don't even know how bad the Warriors once were

FIFY

cd98
03-30-2017, 07:30 PM
TBH, Spurs 2017...welcome to Spurs 2000-2002, Jazz 1996-98, Suns 2006-2008, etc. Great teams playing in the era of even greater teams.