PDA

View Full Version : Great game, tbh

ElNono
03-29-2017, 11:06 PM
Spurs came out super-disciplined on defense, kinda following through with what they did against the Cavs. It was great to see they can take it that level for stretches.

Dubs are just such a supremely talented team though. And on nights where the Iggy and Klay are on (Curry is always there), they're just so tough to beat. Lots of credit to Kerr, he really has them playing smart basketball, attacking matchups, and reining them in whenever they start to deviate.

Fun game to watch, despite the loss, tbh

Keepin' it real
03-29-2017, 11:08 PM
Thankfully okc keeps winning, so Spurs may dodge them in round 1.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-29-2017, 11:09 PM
They took it to that level for a stretch. And then died from the second quarter onward. Spurs looked completely helpless. At no point at halftime onward did it feel like the Spurs were going to win. They were like headless chickens on offense while the Warriors got a layup drill.

The Spurs couldn't have asked for more advantages than Durant being out and Warriors on a b2b. The game had a 40 point swing.

ElNono
03-29-2017, 11:11 PM
They took it to that level for a stretch. And then died from the second quarter onward. Spurs looked completely helpless. At no point at halftime onward did it feel like the Spurs were going to win. They were like headless chickens on offense while the Warriors got a layup drill.

The Spurs couldn't have asked for more advantages than Durant being out and Warriors on a b2b. The game had a 40 point swing.

This team is built on Kawhi/LMA carrying the torch. We've known that for a long time now. If there's anything you can glean from this game is that the Spurs need to be smarter moving the ball when Kawhi is doubled. Kawhi just didn't have a good game, and when that happens we're likely to lose.

Can't be mad at this loss, the Dubs are genuinely an historic team.

DarrinS
03-29-2017, 11:11 PM
Agree with op. Just thought some of Pop's rotations sucked.

YGWHI
03-30-2017, 04:04 AM
Lots of credit to Kerr, he really has them playing smart basketball, attacking matchups, and reining them in whenever they start to deviate.

The Spurs have many holes to fill...

Livingstong killed Parker in the post. Klay outplayed Manu badly, that's why Danny should play more minutes against these strong backcourts.

Pau and Lee together doesn't make sense against GSW

I guess Kerr exploited those favorable matchups but also Pop failed on hiding them, he should take care of his lineups, rotations

99 Problems
03-30-2017, 06:52 AM
If it takes Iggy and Westy playing out of their skins to overcome us I still like our chances in a 7 gamer if we are fortunate to get a crack at them tbh.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-30-2017, 07:07 AM
Great game, Warriors played with a playoff intensity and deserved their win but the Spurs no doubt would have learnt a lot from this game that they'll be able to use if they meet in the playoffs. Spurs defense was fine, the offense was too stagnant at times in the 2nd half, but you can't have 2 players with 0 FGs in your starting line-up in 2017 and you can't beat GS by simply dominating the offensive boards. They have to be able to get in the paint and score consistently, but unfortunately the personnel isn't great at this, even Kawhi.

UZER
03-30-2017, 07:12 AM
Great game, Warriors played with a playoff intensity and deserved their win but the Spurs no doubt would have learnt a lot from this game that they'll be able to use if they meet in the playoffs. Spurs defense was fine, the offense was too stagnant at times in the 2nd half, [b]but you can't have 2 players with 0 FGs in your starting line-up in 2017[b] and you can't beat GS by simply dominating the offensive boards. They have to be able to get in the paint and score consistently, but unfortunately the personnel isn't great at this, even Kawhi.

Pop can, and he will keep doing it to because it's just basketball.

Trueblood
03-30-2017, 07:34 AM
This really had the feel of a test game for Pop. I was shaking my head at some of the lineups that he was keeping on the floor way longer than they should have been. I honestly believe he punted this one away to try and learn more heading into a WCF showdown

coachmac87
03-30-2017, 08:07 AM
The Spurs offense looked absolutely terrible the entire second half...

Warriors defense won the game..they doubled and swarmed all night and Spurs struggled..

When you can't penetrate and attack the paint you'll look bad against them..we looked REALLY bad

pgardn
03-30-2017, 08:22 AM
They exposed our inability to handle double teams. KL and LMA are not in early recognition mode like I expected of the dominant Tim Duncan. Pop had it so easy with TD.

And the openings to the basket left to players like Danny, and last night, Tony, cannot be used as a counter. Pop has got his work cut out.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-30-2017, 08:26 AM
The Spurs offense looked absolutely terrible the entire second half...

Warriors defense won the game..they doubled and swarmed all night and Spurs struggled..

When you can't penetrate and attack the paint you'll look bad against them..we looked REALLY bad

The Spurs don't have anyone able to penetrate consistently. This is not news, it is it what it is, Spurs are a jump shooting team. Kawhi is 99th in the league in FGAs within 5 feet. Literally all teams have a perimeter player who has more attempts at the rim than the Spurs best.

MultiTroll
03-30-2017, 08:45 AM
the Spurs need to be smarter moving the ball when Kawhi is doubled.
Is that supposed to happen in our lifetime?
They've only had 150 games together to work on this.

Watching a 40 point swing and non existent ball movement by Spurs for half their possessions was not "fun". :pctoss

MultiTroll
03-30-2017, 08:51 AM
This really had the feel of a test game for Pop. I was shaking my head at some of the lineups that he was keeping on the floor way longer than they should have been. I honestly believe he punted this one away to try and learn more heading into a WCF showdown
This may have worked when he had Prime Duncan, Prime Manu, Prime Parker, Prime Bowen etc.
He could show up hungover, occasionally get up on point "4 Down" and act cutsie sardonic in interviews.
It's beyond old in 2017.
1 title in the last 9 years.

If he just throwing the farking game then put Bertie and Juice in. Farking watching Parker get his ass handed him trying to guard Donkey Green.

bklynspursfan
03-30-2017, 09:02 AM
The Spurs have many holes to fill...

Livingstong killed Parker in the post. Klay outplayed Manu badly, that's why Danny should play more minutes against these strong backcourts.

I guess Kerr exploited those favorable matchups but also Pop failed on hiding them, he should take care of his lineups, rotations

In our first matchup, we played Dedmon/Lee together off the bench, and obviously that worked out very well. It'll be interesting how it plays out, but i like Dedmon/Lee much better together against these guys. Pop has changed his SL based on matchups before, maybe we'll see it again if we get there.

I agree re: Manu/Klay. It's unfair to try and have Manu stay with him and be effective offensively. I'm not sure how Durant's return affects their rotations, but if one of Klay/Curry/Durant are on the court, Green/Kawhi have to be there.

tmtcsc
03-30-2017, 09:16 AM

Yeah, not so much.

For exactly 9 minutes and 17 seconds (until Iguodala started raining jumpers), it was fun. The large lead felt like a fluke and was a fluke (Danny Green had 12 points on 4 3's by that mark - tells you all you need to know) and it all went downhill from there. The Spurs were totally outplayed and had no answers for the Warriors. On a night when Draymond Green scores 4 points and Durant doesn't even play, this is an embarrassment.

The Warriors bench came to play and their starters did what they usually do. Leonard looked like shit and forced shots. Our bigs were out-physicaled and didn't establish a damn thing. No, this game was not fun to watch, it was excruciating and likely a precursor to the playoffs. Unless Gasol and LaMarcus decide to enforce their will and win their matchups, the Spurs will get bounced. Leonard is good but he's still just one guy.

The silver lining is that they have a roster that is capable of beating the Warriors but it will take maximum mental and physical effort. <-- That includes Pop playing guys who aren't a liability on the floor like TP.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-30-2017, 09:20 AM
It never felt like the Spurs were going to win that game once the third quarter started.

Spurs can win a game or two at the absolute most in a playoff series, but they'd have to be playing out of their minds which probably won't happen.

rjv
03-30-2017, 09:23 AM
This team is built on Kawhi/LMA carrying the torch. We've known that for a long time now. If there's anything you can glean from this game is that the Spurs need to be smarter moving the ball when Kawhi is doubled. Kawhi just didn't have a good game, and when that happens we're likely to lose.

Can't be mad at this loss, the Dubs are genuinely an historic team. kawhi needs to get better at recognizing the double team and reacting to it better. and not sure why we don't put LA down in the blocks more often (hell, even leonard for that matter). not sure if pop was just tinkering or it we really hit the wall that badly, but we may eventually get to find out in june. still, GS has a huge advantage over us in regards to guard play and i don't see how we make up the deficit that exists between their guards and ours (especially parker and mills).

BillMc
03-30-2017, 09:46 AM
In our first matchup, we played Dedmon/Lee together off the bench, and obviously that worked out very well. It'll be interesting how it plays out, but i like Dedmon/Lee much better together against these guys. Pop has changed his SL based on matchups before, maybe we'll see it again if we get there.

I agree re: Manu/Klay. It's unfair to try and have Manu stay with him and be effective offensively. I'm not sure how Durant's return affects their rotations, but if one of Klay/Curry/Durant are on the court, Green/Kawhi have to be there.

These

cd98
03-30-2017, 10:01 AM
GSW has a close to unguardable team when making threes. They are better than a good Spurs team. Like Nash Suns were good, but not good enough to beat the Spurs. I don't know if we could beat this team twice in a playoff series.

GSH
03-30-2017, 10:04 AM
It was a perfect storm to start the game. Over the last 40.5 minutes, GSW outscored the Spurs 103-69. That's not a great game, any way you slice it.

r0drig0lac
03-30-2017, 01:14 PM

lol ..no way

DieHardSpursFan1537
03-30-2017, 01:17 PM
I can easily believe this. I hope Pop strongly considers transitioning Parker to a bench position as he's no longer starting material. He was getting wiped on the backcourt.

Trueblood
03-30-2017, 02:19 PM
This may have worked when he had Prime Duncan, Prime Manu, Prime Parker, Prime Bowen etc.
He could show up hungover, occasionally get up on point "4 Down" and act cutsie sardonic in interviews.
It's beyond old in 2017.
1 title in the last 9 years.

If he just throwing the farking game then put Bertie and Juice in. Farking watching Parker get his ass handed him trying to guard Donkey Green.

I actually theorize that he left juice out on purpose. There was an article out the other day that showed juice is the highest rated defender at the 2 for the entire league. I think he wanted to see what the others bring to the table (which turned out to be nothing of value) and he didn't want them to get a good feel for Simmons. I think his ideal lineup against their lineup of death would be:
Patty on Curry
Simmons on Thompson
Green on Green
Kawhi on Durant
Aldridge on whatever scrub they put in the 5
Defense in this group would be outstanding. Curry is going to get his so just leave Patty in hopes his shooting will give you what he's giving up. Green and Patty spread the floor with the 3, Kawhi handling the ball, juice with the put backs and Aldridge in the midrange.

kaji157
03-30-2017, 02:24 PM
kawhi needs to get better at recognizing the double team and reacting to it better. and not sure why we don't put LA down in the blocks more often (hell, even leonard for that matter). not sure if pop was just tinkering or it we really hit the wall that badly, but we may eventually get to find out in june. still, GS has a huge advantage over us in regards to guard play and i don't see how we make up the deficit that exists between their guards and ours (especially parker and mills).

Because the chance of winning a RS game with very Slim chance of getting the 1st seed and with the 2nd locked wasn´t worth giving up a strategy that can win you a playoff game.

Trueblood
03-30-2017, 02:25 PM
I can easily believe this. I hope Pop strongly considers transitioning Parker to a bench position as he's no longer starting material. He was getting wiped on the backcourt.

Couldn't agree more. I don't have all the troll like hate for him that this forum seems to have but a bench role does seem like his next natural transition. It's that time and I think they're self aware enough that it'll happen next season (as much as we all wish it would happen now).

Trueblood
03-30-2017, 02:27 PM
Because the chance of winning a RS game with very Slim chance of getting the 1st seed and with the 2nd locked wasn´t worth giving up a strategy that can win you a playoff game.

This

SAGirl
03-30-2017, 02:40 PM

They were horrible defensively. The Lee that built a reputation for bad defense showed up and the Pau that is a statue of liberty also showed up. They both showed up against the Cavs too, but Kyle was so impactful defensively that game, as well as DAnny, Lamarcus, Kawhi etc.. that it didn't matter. This game Kyle wasn't impactful on defense like he had previously been, and Lee and Pau were exploited... just layup after layup, as well as everyone else in the bench. They didn't have problems scoring (though both Patty and Manu were off shooting), but Lee, Pau and Kyle were efficient with what they did, however they couldn't stop anybody. At one point Kerr had a lineup of Dworst, Iguodala, Klay, Matt Barnes, Ian Clark. Spurs playing big couldn't hang with that crew. Dworst was finding cutters all over, he was taking jumpshots, the 3, pulling Pau out of the paint, etc. it was murder. Spurs bigs maybe needed to be more dominant than they were, I don't know.

Spurs got killed when GSW went small. I hope Pop looks at the film and adjust. Pau didn't struggle to score but he couldn't stop absolutely anyone. Him with Lee is just murder/suicide. Lee had the worst +/- in the team despite efficient scoring... he just couldn't stop a soul.

It's too late for experiments so they hall have to look at film and be better.

rjv
03-30-2017, 02:40 PM
Because the chance of winning a RS game with very Slim chance of getting the 1st seed and with the 2nd locked wasn´t worth giving up a strategy that can win you a playoff game. the optimist in me is hoping that was the case.

SAGirl
03-30-2017, 02:42 PM
That is what I think too, and like you I tend to think he let them in the time he had planned ahead of time bc he wanted to have sufficient film to see and learn whatever he wanted to see, instead of cutting something so short that he didn't have enough to go on.

CIA Pop IMO

sasaint
03-30-2017, 03:13 PM
That is what I think too, and like you I tend to think he let them in the time he had planned ahead of time bc he wanted to have sufficient film to see and learn whatever he wanted to see, instead of cutting something so short that he didn't have enough to go on.

CIA Pop IMO

You see a glass that is half full... You derive some sense of hope by speculating that Pop is playing his cards close to his vest, not prematurely revealing some "secret strategy" to Kerr and the Dubs. I, however, observe that the Dubs just play "their" game without any concern that an opponent will "catch on to it" or any need to keep any tricks up their sleeve.

UZER
03-30-2017, 03:19 PM
You see a glass that is half full... You derive some sense of hope by speculating that Pop is playing his cards close to his vest, not prematurely revealing some "secret strategy" to Kerr and the Dubs. I, however, observe that the Dubs just play "their" game without any concern that an opponent will "catch on to it" or any need to keep any tricks up their sleeve.

Exactly. Just coach the damn game. This CIA Pop shit is way overblown.

r0drig0lac
03-30-2017, 03:34 PM
I like the "Pop hiding your game plan" against a GSW without Durant, it's funny

SAGirl
03-30-2017, 06:07 PM
No..
not really any secret strategy. Pop stayed big the entire game against small lineups that killed the Spurs. It was clear what Pop's plan was, he never adjusted by introducing variables, playing small, playing Bertans, Simmons, etc. Pop had a plan to see if his bigs and crew could execute and they didn't. They made a lot of mistakes on defense and offensively wasted possessions and didn't get good enough shots or spread the ball around enough with passing. The lineups he put out there were his best lineups if he stays big. The Spurs chose to stay big in FA choices this past summer, spending almost nothing at PG and wings depth so even a small unit may not be able to perform better, but Pop never tested it.

I just think it was more valuable for Pop to get enough footage/film and experience than to cut things short, introduce variables like Bertans, Juice, etc. It's late in the season to be tinkering and he's still tinkering. It's a sign of this team not having the continuity of times past.

He let it play out so he could learn about his team, the players etc. So yes it's an optimistic take, but not one that involves witholding some secret hand, just Pop letting his idea play out and then adjusting (in the future)

sasaint
03-30-2017, 06:24 PM
No..
not really any secret strategy. Pop stayed big the entire game against small lineups that killed the Spurs. It was clear what Pop's plan was, he never adjusted by introducing variables, playing small, playing Bertans, Simmons, etc. Pop had a plan to see if his bigs and crew could execute and they didn't. They made a lot of mistakes on defense and offensively wasted possessions and didn't get good enough shots or spread the ball around enough with passing. The lineups he put out there were his best lineups if he stays big. The Spurs chose to stay big in FA choices this past summer, spending almost nothing at PG and wings depth so even a small unit may not be able to perform better, but Pop never tested it.

I just think it was more valuable for Pop to get enough footage/film and experience than to cut things short, introduce variables like Bertans, Juice, etc. It's late in the season to be tinkering and he's still tinkering. It's a sign of this team not having the continuity of times past.

He let it play out so he could learn about his team, the players etc. So yes it's an optimistic take, but not one that involves witholding some secret hand, just Pop letting his idea play out and then adjusting (in the future)

You could be right. This idea makes better sense than the idea that Pop didn't want to tip his hand. It is odd that he withheld Simmons the entire game, for all intents and purposes.

Horse
03-30-2017, 06:27 PM
They need to get physical that's how they beat the in the past and how Cleveland beat them.

itzsoweezee
03-30-2017, 06:40 PM
Tony simply has nothing to offer against GSW. I can't even imagine a winning scenario involving Tony getting major minutes.

Pop has to start Manu at point guard. He should start doing it tomorrow, but we all know there is no way he's benching Tony

UZER
03-30-2017, 06:41 PM
They need to get physical that's how they beat the in the past and how Cleveland beat them.

Everyone is afraid of Draymond. They're afraid to get physical. Hell Bertans showed some fight against Beasley and got benched for 10 straight games.

UZER
03-30-2017, 06:42 PM
Where's Robert Horry when you need him?

SAGirl
03-30-2017, 06:54 PM
It is odd that he withheld Simmons the entire game, for all intents and purposes.
Anderson has been playing well lately in a very consistent fashion. He's earned his chances to see what he could do. That is all I think that was about. I think Pop may also be getting fed up with Simmons fouling and mistakes all the time, but I am reluctant to give it much meaning other than Pop wanting to see how Anderson would play against GSW after he played so well against Cleveland.

He couldn't have changed the outcome of this game bc so many of the veteran guys played poorly, he did what he could. I don't think Simmons could have done more either if switched places bc again the veterans f+cked up... unless we are talking about switching someone else for Simmons... some experimental small lineup, some no PG lineup, etc. Anyways, Simmons and Anderson may be situational and Pop may be gathering film on them as they each are getting chances.

ElNono
03-30-2017, 11:00 PM
Is that supposed to happen in our lifetime?
They've only had 150 games together to work on this.

Watching a 40 point swing and non existent ball movement by Spurs for half their possessions was not "fun". :pctoss

He hasn't been doubled that much for too long... at least as well as the Dubs executed last night. The Spurs will have to work on that. It's a process.

YGWHI
03-31-2017, 05:42 AM

They were horrible defensively. The Lee that built a reputation for bad defense showed up and the Pau that is a statue of liberty also showed up. They both showed up against the Cavs too, but Kyle was so impactful defensively that game, as well as DAnny, Lamarcus, Kawhi etc.. that it didn't matter. This game Kyle wasn't impactful on defense like he had previously been, and Lee and Pau were exploited... just layup after layup, as well as everyone else in the bench...Him with Lee is just murder/suicide. Lee had the worst +/- in the team despite efficient scoring... he just couldn't stop a soul.

Anyway, like Danny said hopefully the Spurs get a chance to play GSW again in this year, to improve and play smarter than this last game -Pop lineups included-.

Yuixafun
03-31-2017, 08:54 AM
No..

You really do have a fine mind. Hardly do I ever encounter such thoroughly processed ideas into coherant fruition from females. That's not me being sexist either, it's just the sad truth of my current reality.

Yuixafun
03-31-2017, 08:59 AM
The ghost of Hornets David West showed up too... doubt that's going to keep happening, still need to at least defend him.

Yuixafun
03-31-2017, 09:06 AM
Tony simply has nothing to offer against GSW. I can't even imagine a winning scenario involving Tony getting major minutes.

Pop has to start Manu at point guard. He should start doing it tomorrow, but we all know there is no way he's benching Tony

Sims in at pg, while the Klaw runs the point 😀... sims goes all out on D to wear out Steph... Mills Manu Parker Gasol in the 2nd unit

It's like that classic scenario, where you and an opponent have 5 horses each, and you run 5 races. How do you win overall?

Start your slowest vs his fastest. You lose the first race but win the rest.

SpursforSix
03-31-2017, 09:09 AM
No..

:pop: you're overrating the fuck out of my thought process

UZER
03-31-2017, 09:18 AM
:ppo: you're overrating the fuck out of my thought process

Exactly :lol

SpursforSix
03-31-2017, 09:25 AM
:pop: you're overrating the fuck out of my thought process

Whoops.

rjv
03-31-2017, 09:46 AM
i didn't really think pop played "big" against the dubs at all. just because you have your bigs out there doesn't mean you're "playing big". aldridge and gasol were on the perimeter taking jump shots. how is that using size to your advantage?

Trueblood
03-31-2017, 09:52 AM
You could be right. This idea makes better sense than the idea that Pop didn't want to tip his hand. It is odd that he withheld Simmons the entire game, for all intents and purposes.

I don't buy into the secret plan business, but sitting Simmons when he's such a highly ranked defender did have a "don't tip our hand strategy". I wouldn't be surprised to see Simmons come off the bench quickly in a series for a small ball lineup. I think he's tested the bigs and learned the hard way that out didn't work. I think he's trying to find the best lineup (the one that gives him the highest percentage to win) and he'll stick with it. It's what I love and hate about Pop. He doesn't coach with instinct, he coaches like a poker player. He analyzes the games, decides the lineup/sub combinations will give him the best chance of winning and he doesn't often vary from it till it's too late.

SAGirl
03-31-2017, 10:03 AM
i didn't really think pop played "big" against the dubs at all. just because you have your bigs out there doesn't mean you're "playing big". aldridge and gasol were on the perimeter taking jump shots. how is that using size to your advantage?
He didn't have them close to the basket bc lately he's been having Pau hit the 3 and Aldridge too. I think that was to open up the floor for Kawhi but you saw how it went.

rjv
03-31-2017, 10:03 AM
....and i won't go as far as to say "pop didn't want to tip his hand" but i will say it seemed obvious Pop was doing what he usually does, which is just seeing what lineup works well. That doesn't mean he has some secret formula for how to beat GS or is hiding some secret plan, though.

8FOR!3
03-31-2017, 10:10 AM

You can't really call playing a back to back a disadvantage when you're shooting the ball that well. Obviously Golden State had their legs under them just fine. So when a washed up Iggy is knocking down shots like that I don't think playing them on a b2b played to our advantage at all. Luckily their role players don't play that well every night.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-31-2017, 11:19 AM
You can't really call playing a back to back a disadvantage when you're shooting the ball that well. Obviously Golden State had their legs under them just fine. So when a washed up Iggy is knocking down shots like that I don't think playing them on a b2b played to our advantage at all. Luckily their role players don't play that well every night.

But their starters do, so the Spurs are screwed either way.

PopTheGOAT
03-31-2017, 12:02 PM
When GS has Curry/Durant/Thompson on the floor, I'd like to see a Kawhi/Danny/Simmons lineup. Let Kawhi handle the ball, run the O thru him. This is the only lineup that gives us a chance defensively. Parker and Patty just can't keep up with Curry and they're too small for the other 2.

8FOR!3
03-31-2017, 12:56 PM
But their starters do, so the Spurs are screwed either way.

Look we have a lot of experience playing against that group. Sometimes the results are good. Sometimes they're not. They should have never lost to the Cavs last season obviously that squad has a chink in their armor.