PDA

View Full Version : Pop panics

duncan2k5
03-29-2017, 11:40 PM
I've seen it multiple tines over the year...the team would be winning with their regular rotation, but when he faces aa elite team and goes through a bit of adversity, he doesn't trust what has been winning, and some guys never see the floor...very concerning, tbh...

TheGreatYacht
03-29-2017, 11:41 PM
Poopsucking mods will close this thread next.

duncan2k5
03-29-2017, 11:41 PM
You think if golden state faces a tough team, they'll stop playing their normal rotation? Clearly not, and they came back to win...they always know who is going to play...we don't...that's why we keep running into walls...we lack cohesion that is built from familiar rotations

ElNono
03-29-2017, 11:45 PM
Actually, he's the most predictable coach ever, tbh... you know he's going down with the TP/Manu/Danny/Kawhi/LMA/Gasol/Paddy ship, and distrusts Dedmon, Kyle and Juice.

After we're down 3-1 in a series, down 20 in the 4th quarter, he'll trot out Murray in desperation, to reassure himself that he couldn't have possibly turned the series around.

TheGreatYacht
03-29-2017, 11:48 PM
Never seen a coach worse at adjusting than Poop, tbh..

Didnt play Patty in 2015, troted out the turd towers and Fathead in 2016, worst out of timeout plays in the league, cute little 2-0 run timeouts, mediocre switching defense that always gets exposed and even JVG clowns.....

Cant wait to see what he cooks up this year

DarrinS
03-29-2017, 11:50 PM
Why no minutes for Simmons?

james evans
03-29-2017, 11:53 PM
I just think he seriously doesn't give a shit about winning. He has 5 titles and just shows up for a check. There is no other way I can explain some of the shit he does. We have A FUCKING 20 POINT LEAD AND HE CALLS A TIMEOUT AND BREAKS THE MOMENTUM!!!!!!! I just can't get over that.

UZER
03-29-2017, 11:59 PM
Pop has a plan, but spends all season playing lineups and sitting guys so there is no cohesion with a constant lineup, only to revert to the original plan in the playoffs and not deviate from it AT ALL, which includes not playing guys that have have shown obvious game changing impact during their random playing time every 10th game, because, it was never part of his original plan.

The only deviation is the last ditch effort to throwing guys in the game in the second half of the losing game 6.

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2017, 12:06 AM
When the Spurs are up 22 points and Warriors finally score once in 5 minutes

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/77/1f/c3/771fc354a4e0e99b1291566e8ebd8d8c.jpg

When the Warriors are on a 16-2 run and you have 5 timeouts

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--BVembV9T--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1486951537493089063.jpg

HarlemHeat37
03-30-2017, 12:10 AM
I know he doesn't care about these RS games, but that Parker/Ginobili/Anderson lineup was just puzzling:lol

apalisoc_9
03-30-2017, 12:10 AM
Not defending Pop, but considering the personal at his disposal and the opposition I don't think any coach would have figured out a way to win.

:lol

apalisoc_9
03-30-2017, 12:11 AM
I know he doesn't care about these RS games, but that Parker/Ginobili/Anderson lineup was just puzzling:lol

Probably trying to figure out if he can squeeze something out of anderson in a potential matchup. No other way.

EIC
03-30-2017, 12:23 AM
We have no guards and soft "bigs." We're almost entirely reliant on Kawhi offensively. Pop is not coaching his best ball but the problems with the team run much deeper than his rotations.

phxspurfan
03-30-2017, 01:20 AM
I think he was trying to see who can be reliable against them. Regular season tinkering. Like many years he probably didn't care as much about W/L against this team in the reg season, as much as finding a winning formula (which can only really be found by trying random things and looking at the film afterward).

Snaq O'Meal
03-30-2017, 01:59 AM
Never seen a coach worse at adjusting than Poop, tbh..

Didnt play Patty in 2015, troted out the turd towers and Fathead in 2016, worst out of timeout plays in the league, cute little 2-0 run timeouts, mediocre switching defense that always gets exposed and even JVG clowns.....

Cant wait to see what he cooks up this year

More of the same tbh.

His excuse for his inability to adjust has always been "pounding the rock" (i.e. doing the same shit over and over again till the ship sinks).

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2017, 02:14 AM
More of the same tbh.

His excuse for his inability to adjust has always been "pounding the rock" (i.e. doing the same shit over and over again till the ship sinks).
:lol tbh

Horse
03-30-2017, 06:21 AM
He only had one plan to win last night if that didn't work he wasn't gonna change.

duncan2k5
03-30-2017, 07:12 AM
Actually, he's the most predictable coach ever, tbh... you know he's going down with the TP/Manu/Danny/Kawhi/LMA/Gasol/Paddy ship, and distrusts Dedmon, Kyle and Juice.

After we're down 3-1 in a series, down 20 in the 4th quarter, he'll trot out Murray in desperation, to reassure himself that he couldn't have possibly turned the series around.

Exactly!!!

duncan2k5
03-30-2017, 07:20 AM
And his inability to figure out how to guard the pick and roll, and offball screens looks like it will be our demise once again...but most importantly, he needs to learn to trust the players that have been in the rotation all the time... No minutes for Simmons, inexplicably... Even though we WON with Simmons playing his best game of the season vs the warriors...he pits out a lineup that has no shooters, all while Bertrans is catching dust on the bench...then we wonder why our bench players are streaky at times in the playoffs (if they even get PT)

r0drig0lac
03-30-2017, 08:39 AM
You think if golden state faces a tough team, they'll stop playing their normal rotation? Clearly not, and they came back to win...they always know who is going to play...we don't...that's why we keep running into walls...we lack cohesion that is built from familiar rotations

what is the point? They have a much more talented team

MultiTroll
03-30-2017, 08:58 AM
Anyone interested please start a thread entitled "Could Pop pay Kerr to tutor him on the modern game in the offseason?"

Or give me one of your alt's passwords.

tmtcsc
03-30-2017, 09:25 AM

Lol, so true. He's a terrific motivator but his own worst enemy. One of the most stubborn, pig-headed, coaches in the league that puts loyalty ahead of wins. Fuck that. He needs to play guys who can physically compete, not dribble the ball off their feet or fall down when they start to drive to the basket. Its a sad sight to see TP not get around anyone (even bigs). He gets his weak-ass layups boomeranged off the backboard. Manu does what he can but he can't elevate like he used to and his body can't do what his mind wants it to do. That's age.

rjv
03-30-2017, 09:28 AM
he does panic but he also tinkers and concedes. which he did last night is hard to say. on the surface though, his coaching was certainly questionable last night.

dabom
03-30-2017, 09:50 AM

Series 2-2. Let me wait till we're blown out in elimination game with some stupid fucking line-up that's never seen the floor together. :lol

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2017, 09:53 AM
I remember when it took Poop until Game 6 last year to finally free Boban :lol played him like 5 minutes with Kevin fucking Martin and then waived the flag.

:pop: Cant say I didn't try

sananspursfan21
03-30-2017, 10:00 AM
Feels to me like "Pop gives up" more so than panicking. None of us know since we don't know the man personally, but it seems more like he'd rather make it appear he didn't try when they get down. Maybe a pride thing, maybe a mopey thing. I was guilty of this when I played ball. If we were down in a game and it seemed hopeless, I gave up because I'd rather make it appear that I wasn't really into it rather than it look like I went down fighting tooth and nail. For me, I had an excuse suddenly that I was never really interested in winning to begin with. I was too prideful to admit I tried hard and lost. Again, probably wrong but that's one aspect of sports psyche. I was stupid for doing so and Pop would be too, so hopefully I'm dead wrong haha! Just a guess at what's going on in Pop's mind.

GSH
03-30-2017, 10:00 AM
The Spurs have had the best record of any team in any major sport for two decades. As a result, they have gotten the least infusion of cheap talent via the draft over two decades. That translates to a slow erosion of talent - and they have done an amazing job of compensation for that. But it was mostly made possible by one incredible talent in Tim Duncan.

The Spurs are now throwing good money after bad:
Tony and Manu both make more than Steph Curry and Klay Thompson - and just slightly less than Draymond.
Pau Gasol makes $15M, and Pachulia makes $3M

I don't disagree that Pop is pig-headed and predictable. And I don't understand some of the lineups we've seen this year. Hell, a lot of the lineups we've seen. But the team is in cap hell, and a lot of people here don't see it, or won't admit it. They have a HUGE amount of their available salary tied up in aging guys who are just worn fucking out. They have a huge amount of experience, and they are smart and crafty, and all that other crap. But they are worn fucking out. And the team will be spending right at $37M to bring back Tony and Pau, who will both be another year older.

The only thing that might let Pop coach his way out of a mess like this is a healthy Tim Duncan. And he doesn't have one of those.

cd98
03-30-2017, 10:02 AM
Not Pop's fault. The GSW talent is not overcome by coaching.

BillMc
03-30-2017, 10:12 AM
This is no different than 2000 or 2001 with the Lakers or 2012 with the Heat, these teams seem invincible while the Spurs are merely really good. But by staying at contender level, the Spurs will be there, especially if the more talented teams have a problem whether injury, chemistry, or just fatigue.

If Pop stays, Kawhi stays, RC stays, I'd be shocked if Spurs don't get another ring sometime in the next 3 years. Staying REALLY, REALLY good and waiting for the dominant team to falter has given us probably at least 2 to 3 of our titles. No shame in consistency and being ready.

When the Jordan Bulls broke up, Spurs were there to get a ring.
When Shaq and Kobe imploded, Spurs were there to take the title.
When the Heat grew old and exhausted from 4 trips to the Finals, Spurs blew them out.

When Dubs go wrong (and they will) Spurs have their shot. Sadly, the Dubs derailed last season and it was Lebron, not the Spurs who grabbed the ring.

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2017, 10:29 AM
If Pop stays, Kawhi stays, RC stays, I'd be shocked if Spurs don't get another ring sometime in the next 3 years. Staying REALLY, REALLY good and waiting for the dominant team to falter has given us probably at least 2 to 3 of our titles. No shame in consistency and being ready..
I completely disagree. With Peter Holt stepping down, Greg and Buford know they basically own the team now. They don't answer to anyone. Even if they did have a boss, their reputation has been overrated beyond belief that if they were fired, the national media and fans would go into their defense. Their sense of urgency is gone. Kawhi will keep this fools gold/paper tiger team in the Top 5 or even 3, but they won't win a championship.

Parker and Manu have one foot in retirement. Gasol might stay one more year, max. Mills, Simmons, Dedmon will all walk this summer. Aldridge will opt out and try to get one more big contract.....

You're not that big of a homer to think the Spurs have a brighter future than Golden State, right?

BillMc
03-30-2017, 10:38 AM
I completely disagree. With Peter Holt stepping down, Greg and Buford know they basically own the team now. They don't answer to anyone. Even if they did have a boss, their reputation has been overrated beyond belief that if they were fired, the national media and fans would go into their defense. Their sense of urgency is gone. Kawhi will keep this fools gold/paper tiger team in the Top 5 or even 3, but they won't win a championship.

Parker and Manu have one foot in retirement. Gasol might stay one more year, max. Mills, Simmons, Dedmon will all walk this summer. Aldridge will opt out and try to get one more big contract.....

You're not that big of a homer to think the Spurs have a brighter future than Golden State, right?

I disagree. The proof is in the pudding. Pop and RC make the right moves most the time. A lot of people on here seem to view it as having great teams that under achieve in the playoffs. I think because of Spurs culture its the opposite. I think they over achieve often and are sometimes exposed. But when a more talented team falters, they are there to seize opportunity.

Do they have a brighter immediate future? No. Because Dubs key players are generally younger. (Only Kawhi is a contemporary). But that wasn't my point. My point was by being really, really good the Spurs can get another ring if and when something goes wrong for the Dubs. And over say 4 years time there's bound to be a year or two when that happens. It just did in '16 when injuries and a Draymond meltdown allowed a weaker Cavs team to take the title.

I trust in Pop and RC to keep this team on the cusp of greatness, ready to pounce at opportunity. Don't think Holt's stepping down changes much.

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2017, 10:44 AM
The seats are empty despite having the team on track for back to back 60 win seasons. FSSW local ratings are down. Spurstalk is rapidly dying. Spurs constantly have to have ticket discounts and player-fan meet ups.

San Antonio cares more about food than they do sports. Once they see that the team is just Hawks West, (make the playoffs only to get sent fishing past the first round) they will disappear.

Get read for a reincarnation of the dark years (2008-2011) where the Spurs waste their franchise player's prime with dog shit around him.

dabom
03-30-2017, 11:14 AM
Spurs are the second most locally watched NBA team. :lol

BillMc
Get read for a reincarnation of the dark years (2008-2011) where the Spurs waste their franchise player's prime with dog shit around him.

The very fact that these years (all 4 of them) are considered the dark age tells you how spoiled we are. 08 featured a WCF appearance, 10 a playoff series win over Dallas, and 11 a 60 win regular season. All 4 were over 50 wins. And that was generally rebuilding on the fly from the best Spurs team ever (the one from 2003 to 2008 that petered out in 09) to probably the second best Spurs team ever (2011 to 2014 that died in 2015).

As I said, as long as Pop, RC and Kawhi stay, we'll be okay even if we have a couple of such "dark years."

dabom
We were on pace for 70 wins last year. Of course the numbers are gonna drop. :lol

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2017, 11:20 AM
The very fact that these years (all 4 of them) are considered the dark age tells you how spoiled we are. 08 featured a WCF appearance, 10 a playoff series win over Dallas, and 11 a 60 win regular season. All 4 were over 50 wins. And that was generally rebuilding on the fly from the best Spurs team ever (the one from 2003 to 2008 that petered out in 09) to probably the second best Spurs team ever (2011 to 2014 that died in 2015).

As I said, as long as Pop, RC and Kawhi stay, we'll be okay even if we have a couple of such "dark years."
That's Tim Duncan for ya. Carried scrubs most of his prime.

Imagine having blind faith in a front office that once started Blair, Jefferson, McDyess, Roger Mason, Bonner, and Bogans during their franchise player's prime.

cd98
03-30-2017, 10:44 PM
Pop panic? He figured out how to beat GSW in the first quarter, but pulled his punches to save them for the playoffs. He's been telling Danny Green to miss all those open threes during the regular season so people stop guarding him and then unleashing him in the playoffs. CIA Pop.

duncan2k5
04-02-2017, 07:09 AM
what is the point? They have a much more talented team

so did the 2004 lakers compared to the pistons..the more talented team doesnt always win...we have had playoff losses to teams with less talent too...you got to put your team in the best position to win, and pop isnt doing that...THAT'S my point

jbspurs
04-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Pop panic? He figured out how to beat GSW in the first quarter, but pulled his punches to save them for the playoffs. He's been telling Danny Green to miss all those open threes during the regular season so people stop guarding him and then unleashing him in the playoffs. CIA Pop.

This is therapeutic! lol

sasaint
04-02-2017, 10:33 AM
That's Tim Duncan for ya. Carried scrubs most of his prime.

Imagine having blind faith in a front office that once started Blair, Jefferson, McDyess, Roger Mason, Bonner, and Bogans during their franchise player's prime.

Bonner should still be starting.

Blake
04-02-2017, 10:36 AM
Oh a pop bashing thread.

TheGreatYacht
04-02-2017, 03:36 PM
This senile fuck continues to be responsible for the shortcomings of this team.

:pop: 17pt lead?
:pop: Bryn, Joel, Deadman.. get in there

*Jazz go on 21-4 run*

Budkin
04-02-2017, 03:43 PM

*Jazz go on 21-4 run*

Drives me batshit crazy. I just don't get it.

TheGreatYacht
04-02-2017, 03:46 PM
Drives me batshit crazy. I just don't get it.
National TV game. The 70yr old will always try to prove to the world he can win with any shit rotation.

It will only get worse in 2 weeks..

TD 21
04-02-2017, 10:04 PM
National TV game. The 70yr old will always try to prove to the world he can win with any shit rotation.

The Dedmon-Anthony pairing mid 2nd quarter was inexplicable and even though it only lasted for 2-3 minutes, it was clearly and predictably the impetus for the Jazz immediately erasing a 16 point lead. Two of those types of centers should never, ever play together outside of garbage time.

I don't care if it's a "meaningless regular season game" and half the team was out; that doesn't mean you intentionally sabotage your own team.

dabom
04-02-2017, 10:09 PM
The Dedmon-Anthony pairing mid 2nd quarter was inexplicable and even though it only lasted for 2-3 minutes, it was clearly and predictably the impetus for the Jazz immediately erasing a 16 point lead. Two of those types of centers should never, ever play together outside of garbage time.

I don't care if it's a "meaningless regular season game" and half the team was out; that doesn't mean you intentionally sabotage your own team.

:lol

ElNono
04-02-2017, 10:25 PM

Yeah, the Joel Anthony acquisition and getting any minutes is inexplicable.

duncan2k5
04-03-2017, 06:50 AM

*Jazz go on 21-4 run*

Tbh...

duncan2k5
04-03-2017, 06:51 AM
If Joel Anthony gets ANY playoff minutes, I'll lose my sh*t

TheGreatYacht
04-03-2017, 09:10 AM
If Joel Anthony gets ANY playoff minutes, I'll lose my sh*t
If Joel is active over a healthy Murray, I'll lose my shit.

eric365
04-03-2017, 09:17 AM

After 20 years, everyone is predictable

Blake
04-03-2017, 09:25 AM

And they did win. And you'll continue to whine

TheGreatYacht
04-03-2017, 09:48 AM
And they did win. And you'll continue to whine
Lmao went down to the wire against a depleted team. Stay content with being average.

Blake
04-03-2017, 10:01 AM
Lmao went down to the wire against a depleted team. Stay content with being average.

Should Pop really have played everyone to get the 30 point win?

Now is a perfect time to tinker with lineups...against a depleted team.

Stay a Pop whiner. Especially after a win.

TheGreatYacht
04-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Should Pop really have played everyone to get the 30 point win?

Now is a perfect time to tinker with lineups...against a depleted team.

Stay a Pop whiner. Especially after a win.
No. If you watched the game, clearly you didn't, you would've seen the Jazz were ready to be put down early. Then Pop pulled a poop, per par.

Watch the games.

Blake
04-03-2017, 11:44 AM
No. If you watched the game, clearly you didn't, you would've seen the Jazz were ready to be put down early. Then Pop pulled a poop, per par.

Watch the games.

Why is it so important to you as to how many points they win by? They've pretty much got the 2 seed or at worst 3 seed locked up.

If you can't play scrubs like Forbes etc with a 17 point lead to see what they can do then when can you play them?