PDA

View Full Version : Does Pau need to start against the Warriors?

Big Empty
03-30-2017, 08:03 AM
They did a great job on Kawhi forcing him to pass alot, does Pau starting open up more offensive opportunities from the get go against a high octane team like the Warriors?

Poolboy5623
03-30-2017, 08:04 AM
He can start at pg..

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2017, 09:32 AM
Definitely. Golden state kept doubling Kawhi with Pachulia because Deadman is such a non threat and has terrible hands. Spurs need shooters out there. Only way to stop the doubles.

BillMc
03-30-2017, 09:41 AM
I thought that myself. Not only would Pau help the offense but better defenders around him (Kawhi, Danny, LaMarcus) may be able to offset his defensive liabilities that pairing him with Lee and Manu and Patty in the second team, can't. He's also way too big for Draymond and Zaza.

Pau is going to get killed in the PNR but his O is really needed I think.

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2017, 09:48 AM
So annoying watching Draymond defend Aldridge, while Zaza is out there and not getting his terrible defense exposed. Dedmon would be a way better matchup against McGee's athleticism off the bench anyways.

BillMc
03-30-2017, 09:50 AM
So annoying watching Draymond defend Aldridge, while Zaza is out there and not getting his terrible defense exposed. Dedmon would be a way better matchup against McGee's athleticism off the bench anyways.
+1

Plus Dedmon's stone hands versus McGee's stone mind would be entertaining theater.

Arcadian
03-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I mean he's a 7 footer who can shoot 3s. That's exactly what is needed against GS. In NBA 2K, I always start Gasol against GS and Dedmon against Cleveland (since everyone uses those two teams online).

sananspursfan21
03-30-2017, 09:52 AM
I liked the line ups with Pau. Pau kept the game remotely competitive. They'd of been blown away without him last night

cd98
03-30-2017, 09:57 AM
No Pau killed on defense.

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2017, 10:11 AM
I liked the line ups with Pau. Pau kept the game remotely competitive. They'd of been blown away without him last night
Agreed. Him, Aldridge, and Green were the only positives offensively last night.

MaNu4Tres
03-30-2017, 10:22 AM
No. Gasol starting is not turning the tables. Golden State would just PnR us with his man to death.

Spurs best shot at the Warriors is going big at the wing in stints. No defensive liabilities on the floor. Optimize the defense to give the team the best chances to get stops. Go big with Kawhi at PG offensively since he's the engine or " PG" on the perimeter anyway.

IE: Kawhi, Simmons or Manu, Green, LA, Dedmon
IE: Kawhi, Manu, Green, Simmons or Kyle, LA

Warriors are too good and they'll just pick the Spurs apart by going at Parker, Mills and Gasol.

I'm not saying Parker and Mills can't play at all, I'm just saying Spurs need to go bigger at the wing in stints.

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2017, 10:31 AM
"No defensive liabilities on the floor"

*lists 2 lineups with Ginobili*

Play Boban
03-30-2017, 07:07 PM
When Manu was Porker's age he was scoring over 20 per game against Memphis in the playoffs. :wow

james evans
03-30-2017, 07:37 PM
I don't give a damn who starts as long as it isn't parker or ginobli.

Ice009
03-30-2017, 08:23 PM
When Manu was Porker's age he was scoring over 20 per game against Memphis in the playoffs. :wow

He was still the best player in the series with a broken arm. That piece of shit Tony Allen thought he was faking it, but Manu was still the best player on the court with the broken arm. Parker's a joke at the same age, but we all knew he'd likely be shit once his speed and athleticism went. Tony did have a little bit of athleticism to go with that speed of his, but that's all gone now and he's a shell of his former self.

UZER
03-30-2017, 08:43 PM

Zaza plays for the warriors now. He's allowed to be a lot more physical with that jersey on.

SAGirl
03-31-2017, 10:58 AM
He was horrible against GSW in the season opener. It was a lineup that included Dedmon Lee and Simmons that brought the Spurs back in the GSW season opener.

Pau got benched in the original season opener bc he couldn't guard GSW. He has struggled on defense against them and he didn't fare well against them last game. Yes he scored. Pau has been hot lately and is still a skilled offensive player but he tends to give points right back in layups, late contests on jumpshots, and the Spurs switch strategy is not kind to Pau. Pairing with him Lee was a horrendous no rim protecting combo that also couldn't guard the perimeter.

I don't know what the answer is but it's possible if Pau starts the team fares even worse bc the nice defensive start wasn't going to be there.

TheGreatYacht
03-31-2017, 11:19 AM
Since all star break (Pau's return)

Dedmon - 4.8ppg, 6.5rpg, 0.7apg, 0.7bpg, 101DRtg

Gasol - 13.8ppg, 7.2rpg, 1.8apg, 0.9bpg, 102DRtg

Not to mention the 60.0 3P% on 2.5 attempts a game

Chinook
03-31-2017, 11:29 AM
The start of the game wasn't the problem.

phxspurfan
03-31-2017, 11:44 AM
Dedmon is good if our PnR game is going though. So no Kawhiso during those stretches where he's doubled and cowering. Just go to PnR game and watch the tyson chandler style throwdowns occur

TheGreatYacht
03-31-2017, 11:49 AM
The problem is Dedmon isn't the best roller and has terrible hands tbh

PATFO should give him Splitter and 2016 Duncan tape. They were always at the right spot by the rim.

sammy
03-31-2017, 11:59 AM
No! Pau is horrible on defense and slow as Curry just went past him for an easy layup! Leave Dedmon is the starter.

midnightpulp
03-31-2017, 12:01 PM
Since all star break (Pau's return)

Dedmon - 4.8ppg, 6.5rpg, 0.7apg, 0.7bpg, 101DRtg

Gasol - 13.8ppg, 7.2rpg, 1.8apg, 0.9bpg, 102DRtg

Not to mention the 60.0 3P% on 2.5 attempts a game

Love Gasol this season.

TheGreatYacht
03-31-2017, 12:03 PM
Love Gasol this season.
Greatest 6th man in franchise history tbh imo

Horse
03-31-2017, 12:23 PM
Not necessarily but he does need to murder the warriors bench. My thought would be Bertans at times with the starters, like an athletic bonner too bad Pop doesn't have more faith in him. But I still think the best way is too make them pay by staying big and being physical.