PDA

View Full Version : Are we overthinking regarding last night?

webshad
03-30-2017, 01:42 PM
Hey guys, don't you think we're thinking too much ahead of ourselves regarding yesterday.

Popovich didn't deliver the knockout punch last night.

I believe he was experiment different looks/lineups against GSW after the big lead.

I doubt he cares about the #1 seed.

I mean wouldn't it be stupid to show all your cards, at this point of the season, against a potential playoff matchup?

rjv
03-30-2017, 01:45 PM
probably, but that doesn't mean there aren't concerns. these concerns were there before the game and would have been there even if the spurs had won.

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2017, 01:47 PM
The "Pop didn't show his full hand" myth is hilarious tbh :lol

webshad
03-30-2017, 01:52 PM

Well, it would be exceptionally idiotic if you show your entire playbook against a team you're likely to encounter in the playoff when you really don't give a shit about being the #1 seed.

I don't have the stats with me, but how did we perform in the regular season against the Suns team with Steve Nash when they were the #1 seed.

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2017, 01:56 PM
Well, it would be exceptionally idiotic if you show your entire playbook against a team you're likely to encounter in the playoff when you really don't give a shit about being the #1 seed.

I don't have the stats with me, but how did we perform in the regular season against the Suns team with Steve Nash when they were the #1 seed.
I might've agreed with you in the past when Pop used to rest key players against the contenders, but it was obvious he was trying this time. His coaching has fallen off such a cliff that fans are truly doubting if he was experimenting lmfao.

spursistan
03-30-2017, 01:59 PM
:lol

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2017, 01:59 PM
Even Van Gundy was clowning the Spurs defensive game plan :lol

The whole "switching on everything and giving up open corner threes" crap has been going on for 2 postseasons. There's no experimenting. He will die with that strategy.

coachmac87
03-30-2017, 02:00 PM
I mean you can't ignore the Spurs going up 22 and you can't ignore the 34 point swing either..

But it's not like we showed we couldn't compete. It's kinda hard to take anything out of it big picture wise ..nothing's changed really. Warriors are best team in the league and Spurs are arguably second..

It's keep it real and don't have false expectations

UZER
03-30-2017, 02:01 PM

Almost as good as, "every player would love to play for pop" but they've landed only one major FA even when they've had plenty of cap space. :lol

spursistan
03-30-2017, 02:02 PM
Two straight postseasons getting his shit pushed in by average coaches and folks are still falling for the "CIA Pop" tripe..

Leave that fantasy world to bklynspurfan..:lol

TheGreatYacht
03-30-2017, 02:03 PM
Almost as good as, "every player would love to play for pop" but they've landed only one major FA , and he's even shrunk since getting here. :lol
:rollin

spursistan
03-30-2017, 02:05 PM
Almost as good as, "every player would love to play for pop" but they've landed only one major FA even when they've had plenty of cap space. :lol
:lmao..

sananspursfan21
03-30-2017, 02:06 PM
From a strategy standpoint, you may be right. It's possible that Pop mailed it in. The concerning thing for me is how kawhi struggled to get a good shot at all. Pop may not have been trying, but it sure looked to me that kawhi was. And he struggled if we're putting it kindly

Amuseddaysleeper
03-30-2017, 02:07 PM
I'm sorry but delivering the knockout blow when you let the other team go on a 103-69 run on your home floor while they've been on a b2b?

:lol the excuses are hilarious. Pop isn't hiding anything, he got burned last night as did the entire squad.

I bet there are some posters who think Pop still didn't want to show his hand to OKC after last year's series either. He's still waiting for Game 7!

urunobili
03-30-2017, 02:08 PM
No Simmons... No Murray... They're the real matchup advantage...

hater
03-30-2017, 02:16 PM
Theres nothing to oveanalyze tbqh

We are 2nd roud fodder

Its simple

r0drig0lac
03-30-2017, 02:17 PM
Spurs annihilated Cavs, then gsw defeat spurs and rox on a b2b without their best player, feels like the championship ended yesterday.

$pursDynasty
03-30-2017, 03:37 PM
I might've agreed with you in the past when Pop used to rest key players against the contenders, but it was obvious he was trying this time. His coaching has fallen off such a cliff that fans are truly doubting if he was experimenting lmfao.
Now it would have been pimp if after destroying them in the first quarter he just rested all the starters. Now that would have really gotten into their heads. WTH? Pop to Dubs "go on take the #1 seed you will need it more than we will." Regretfully however I don't believe that is the case. That would be as cool as when he sat the Starters against the Heatles and still almost beat them. You know that got into their heads.

$pursDynasty
03-30-2017, 03:40 PM

We are 2nd roud fodder

Its simple
Not really, I still can't see a better team in the NBA than the Spurs besides the Dubs. I like our chances against anyone else, we have a slight chance against the Dubs...but I am saying there's a chance.

webshad
03-30-2017, 04:00 PM
Now it would have been pimp if after destroying them in the first quarter he just rested all the starters. Now that would have really gotten into their heads. WTH? Pop to Dubs "go on take the #1 seed you will need it more than we will." Regretfully however I don't believe that is the case. That would be as cool as when he sat the Starters against the Heatles and still almost beat them. You know that got into their heads.

HAHA imagine the sports media the very next day.

Really it would have been awesome.

webshad
03-30-2017, 04:01 PM
From a strategy standpoint, you may be right. It's possible that Pop mailed it in. The concerning thing for me is how kawhi struggled to get a good shot at all. Pop may not have been trying, but it sure looked to me that kawhi was. And he struggled if we're putting it kindly

True, then again the Spurs were not playing to their defensive potential after the 1st quarter. They can do a lot better than what we saw last night.

No way the Spurs gave their 100% on defense after the big lead last night.

Proxy
03-30-2017, 04:11 PM
Pop's secrit plan is to go in with a starting linup of

Manu soap bar
Kawhi
Pau to space the floor
LMA
Bertans to space the floor

and play them all 40 mins, easy win

james evans
03-30-2017, 04:33 PM
Even Van Gundy was clowning the Spurs defensive game plan :lol

The whole "switching on everything and giving up open corner threes" crap has been going on for 2 postseasons. There's no experimenting. He will die with that strategy.
you're wrong. it's been going on for 4 postseaons now dating back to the 2013 finals in which Battier and Miller were open all fucking series. Obviously, Popovich believes layups are worth more than 3.s If philly could shoot when we played them, they would have destroyed us. He plays the same way against every team.

MultiTroll
03-30-2017, 04:42 PM
2008 - present.
1 Championship.

5 times out in 1st or 2nd round.

dabom
03-30-2017, 04:55 PM

We are 2nd roud fodder

Its simple

100$ bet

UZER
03-30-2017, 05:37 PM
With the warriors you almost have to have a give up two not three mentality for alot of the game. They shoot so well from beyond the arc, your better off having guys focus on the perimeter and forcing the drive. When the drive happens, don't send the defense scrambling and over-switching to stop the drive. Show, but stay home on the 3 pt shooters. Contest the layup with whoever is there, but don't overcommit the help from other guys. If they get a layup, they get a layup. It's a kinda goes against normal defensive philosophy, but it's to counter the new offensive philosophy of the three is the best shot. For the warriors it is.

The scrambling is exactly what they want you to do. They just keep whipping the ball around until they find the open guy. By the foruth quarter, guys are completely zapped of energy. And it mentally demoralizes your team when you scramble for 24 seconds only to give up the three as the shot clock expires.

If a big gets switched on the perimeter, they should step up and force the drive. When you force the drive, use the strategy I mentioned above about giving up two instead of three.

If a small gets switched on a big down low, let him play it straight up. If the big scores, so what.

You have to take a different approach against these guys defensively. Playing the same old defense against a 2017 warriors offense is not going to work when they have the players with the ability to dissect it like surgeons.

Your still hustling on defense and contesting drives, but not at the expense of giving up three.

tl;dr - give up two pts not three.