PDA

View Full Version : MVPau..

midnightpulp
03-31-2017, 09:32 PM
Apologize.

Just a great fuckin' pickup. Knows how to win. Broke OKC's will in the 4th with big shots and playmaking.

Mr. Body
03-31-2017, 09:35 PM
The dude has won championships. He's dragged Kobe to championships where Kobe got all the glory.

FkLA
03-31-2017, 09:38 PM
Pre-injury I was really regretting the signing even though I've always been a fan of his. He's been amazing post-injury though. :tu

daledondale
03-31-2017, 09:48 PM
The dude has won championships. He's dragged Kobe to championships where Kobe got all the glory.This. He will play solid in playoffs, the guy is a champion.

SAGirl
03-31-2017, 10:43 PM
great game... hopefully he's caught a groove that will bring him more glory this postseason when he rings again with a different team and coach, cementing his HOF status, which means:
:lobt2:

BillMc
03-31-2017, 11:01 PM
great game... hopefully he's caught a groove that will bring him more glory this postseason when he rings again with a different team and coach, cementing his HOF status, which means:
:lobt2:

I like your thoughts.:toast

But he's really already cemented the HOF (though of course, like you, I want the trophy!):toast There's no doubt on Pau between his NBA success and years with the Spanish national team. He's in. He's the best Euro to ever play in the NBA save Dirk, and he's got more titles than him.

(Yeah, yeah Sabonis, yeah, yeah, knee injury I know the story...)

TheGreatYacht
03-31-2017, 11:01 PM
Continues to bail out Deadman</3 tbh :lol

Deadman 1pt, 0rebs, -14 tonight

ElNono
04-01-2017, 01:44 AM
"he pulls you back in"

apalisoc_9
04-01-2017, 02:09 AM
"he pulls you back in"

:lmao

A large part of Gasol's performance is how's not forced to think like a 3rd or 4th guy. He's offense has looked way better as a bench player.

Would have won 6th man of the year if he sat the bench to start the season.

TheGreatYacht
04-01-2017, 02:34 AM
I agree that MVPau is better coming off the bench (except for the Dubs matchup).

One thing is for sure though... there's plenty of Deadman type of players around, no need to overpay for a glorified bum. Would prefer to keep Lee, Mills, Simmons, Deadman. In that order.

szkorhetz
04-01-2017, 03:02 AM
Amazing how he turned around his slow start of the season. Best bench guy since he was moved to the bench and the best stretch center in the whole NBA.

Mal
04-01-2017, 04:38 AM
Big time player, but old. If only picked up like 4 years ago

Mr. Body
04-01-2017, 08:00 AM
I think playing more with Ginobili has unlocked some of the playmaking abilities he sees he can bring to the team.

Solid D
04-01-2017, 08:16 AM
I think playing more with Ginobili has unlocked some of the playmaking abilities he sees he can bring to the team.

It's a very big reason. Playing with Ginobili helps a lot of players.

ace3g
04-02-2017, 03:13 PM

BillMc
04-02-2017, 03:15 PM
And it's no volume fluke. His form is really nice.

midnightpulp
04-04-2017, 10:08 PM
Back breaking 3 in OT. Huge O-board. And other key plays in the 4th and down the stretch.

apalisoc_9
04-04-2017, 10:15 PM
Back breaking 3 in OT. Huge O-board. And other key plays in the 4th and down the stretch.

Dude really knows how to play with Kawhi. He's the perfect big compliment.

TD 21
04-04-2017, 10:16 PM
Pop needs to start playing him more, especially in good match-ups for him, like this one. He's not Parker or Ginobili; he can still play extended minutes without it affecting him and they need him to, since he's the second best offensive player on a team that labors to score.

It would also help matters if Kawhi DeRozan (contested, off the dribble mid rangers) passed him the damn ball when he's wide open off of the pick-and-pop or spotted up one pass away. He's repeatedly missed him all year and Gasol's frustration is palpable in the form of constant minor reactions.

TheGreatYacht
04-04-2017, 10:19 PM
Needs a raise after continuously bailing out that doofus starting Center

spursistan
04-04-2017, 10:23 PM
Pop needs to start playing him more, especially in good match-ups for him, like this one. He's not Parker or Ginobili; he can still play extended minutes without it affecting him and they need him to, since he's the second best offensive player on a team that labors to score.

It would also help matters if Kawhi DeRozan (contested, off the dribble mid rangers) passed him the damn ball when he's wide open off of the pick-and-pop or spotted up one pass away. He's repeatedly missed him all year and Gasol's frustration is palpable in the form of constant minor reactions.

Also, nothing speaks unnexplosive offense more than having your best and most reliable shooter from deep as a center in stretch 5 station :lol..

This is team is going to be dragged each time in few possessions playoffs games all the way even against this moribund Memphis squad..I see a minimum 6-game series..

TD 21
04-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Also, nothing speaks unnexplosive offense more than having your best and most reliable shooter from deep as a center in stretch 5 station :lol..

This is team is going to be dragged each time in few possessions playoffs games all the way even against this moribund Memphis squad..I see a minimum 6-game series..

I'd still be surprised if they lost to the Grizzlies in a series, but the fact that it'll probably be difficult and can't be definitively ruled it out says all you need to know about this team.

There's no way a player who's as good as Kawhi DeRozan is, should lose a series to a team like the Grizzlies. I don't care how done Parker is or soft Aldridge is or anything else; this series is about him more than anyone else.

MaNu4Tres
04-04-2017, 10:35 PM
I was wrong, Gasol has been a great pick up. I'll eat the crow. Feed me somebody.

He needs to be closing games. He's the best roller on the team in PnRs, only because he's fluid and reacts well when the PnR pocket pass is caught around the FT line. His decisions as a secondary play-maker in this position sets him apart from the other bigs on the team as he makes the right pass to the weakside 3 or to the big in the dunker spot. He just makes more fluid decisions overall in the PnR. David Lee is 2nd behind him. LA and Dedmon need to work a lot on this aspect.

MultiTroll
04-04-2017, 10:46 PM
Fabulous.

Kwa was annoying when he failed to pass to Pau again and instead dribble dribble dribble Kobme clanked. Pau at the f ing arc with no one withing 7 feet.

Leetonidas
04-04-2017, 10:47 PM
Gasol has been a monster. :tu he definitely has soft moments around the basket that irritate me. And he flails his arms and yells a lot. :lol but who could've predicted the % he's shooting from 3....literally every 3 he takes looks good. :wow he would be running away with 6moy if he came off the bench all year

Chinook
04-04-2017, 10:52 PM
RealGM hated the signing, and the mods kept circle-jerking about how the Spurs were done once they got him.

Robz4000
04-04-2017, 10:58 PM
I didn't like the signing, and I'm still on the fence about it tbh. Not because I dislike him as a player (love MVPau) but I really wanted his money to be used to shore up the PG position. He's played great off the bench for the Sours and his 3-ball is better than advertised. However, the playoffs will tell all. If he keeps it up I'll be pleased, but I feel like his softness will ear it's ugly head.

midnightpulp
04-04-2017, 11:03 PM
I didn't like the signing, and I'm still on the fence about it tbh. Not because I dislike him as a player (love MVPau) but I really wanted his money to be used to shore up the PG position. He's played great off the bench for the Sours and his 3-ball is better than advertised. However, the playoffs will tell all. If he keeps it up I'll be pleased, but I feel like his softness will ear it's ugly head.

Problem is the money on a PG would've just been wasted. Pop was never going to phase Parker out.

Pop also dropped the ball on not fast-tracking Murray. He did it with Tony back in the day when it was obvious the Spurs needed athleticism at the PG, but he's become conservative and mechanical over the past decade in this regard.

Robz4000
04-04-2017, 11:10 PM
Problem is the money on a PG would've just been wasted. Pop was never going to phase Parker out.

Pop also dropped the ball on not fast-tracking Murray. He did it with Tony back in the day when it was obvious the Spurs needed athleticism at the PG, but he's become conservative and mechanical over the past decade in this regard.

True, but at least they'd have that option off the bench if/when both Tony and Patty have bad games in the postseason. A T.J. Ford-like player would be amazing to have right now.

MaNu4Tres
04-04-2017, 11:37 PM
A big development in his game during the year that's made him much more efficient is how Pop has thrown the Post up option in the trash bin with exception of late shot clock desperate situations.

Posts ups and pick and pop long 2's have essentially vanished from his game during the course of the season. Those two options were utilized heavily last year with the Bulls-- which is why I didn't like the addition at first.

As the season has progressed, Pop and the coaching staff have taken away his long 2 pick and Pops and Pau has been stepping out beyond the arc more and more. At the same time, he's been also rolling a lot more in PNRs instead of popping. And lastly, the post ups have been utilized minimally.

Kudos to the coaching staff and Pau for making the needed adjustments to make him much more efficient and effective. So glad he's done away with long 2 Pick and Pops and post ups.

BillMc
04-05-2017, 02:06 AM
A big development in his game during the year that's made him much more efficient is how Pop has thrown the Post up option in the trash bin with exception of late shot clock desperate situations.

Posts ups and pick and pop long 2's have essentially vanished from his game during the course of the season. Those two options were utilized heavily last year with the Bulls-- which is why I didn't like the addition at first.

As the season has progressed, Pop and the coaching staff have taken away his long 2 pick and Pops and Pau has been stepping out beyond the arc more and more. At the same time, he's been also rolling a lot more in PNRs instead of popping. And lastly, the post ups have been utilized minimally.

Kudos to the coaching staff and Pau for making the needed adjustments to make him much more efficient and effective. So glad he's done away with long 2 Pick and Pops and post ups.

Excellent observations and post. :toast

MaNu4Tres
04-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Excellent observations and post. :toast

Thanks Bill. I'm pretty happy and impressed with the adjustments. Pop can be pretty stubborn at times, but it seems like the nerds behind the scenes got to him regarding Pau.

apalisoc_9
04-05-2017, 07:11 PM

I wish Aldridge would do the same. Pau is out there trying to attack big man with a dribble or a roll and hitting threes. Didn't take long from him to make the proper adjustment.

MaNu4Tres
04-05-2017, 07:20 PM
I wish Aldridge would do the same. Pau is out there trying to attack big man with a dribble or a roll and hitting threes. Didn't take long from him to make the proper adjustment.

Aldridge is too clumsy or too much in a rush most of the time in the PnR when teams hedge Kawhi high or double. That is when the pass to the roller (Aldridge) is located around the FT line. IAldridge isn't fluid with the ball and doesn't attack the basket fluidly when its 4 on 3 essentially for 1-2 seconds before the D recovers ( which is the case most often because LA is late at making decisions or he's in a full out rush --which leads to a turnover or a rushed contested shot. If LA would just be more decisive and aggressive in a patient/fluid manner making a move towards the basket it would open up so much more great opportunities. Dedmon is even worse at this.

What made the 14' offense so special was how great Duncan, Splitter and Diaw were in this spot in the offense. All were great passers, all had great awareness (passing to open weakside corner 3 or passing it off to the big in the dunker spot when it was there). Those three were very aggressive towards the basket and great decisive decision makers out of this part of the offense when teams would be aggressive with the Tony/Manu PnRs -- hedging or doubling. That's what made the whole offense tick the way it did.

Spur|n|Austin
04-05-2017, 07:22 PM
He's been great, love the confidence. If he plays matador D, then he plays it - his strengths outweigh that one weakness. The added 3 ball has been a nice surprise.

skulls138
04-05-2017, 07:31 PM
I think Im becoming ok with the quick release jumper if he keeps up the hard nosed D and offensive rebounding. LA that is. It could lead to better stuff.

Seventyniner
04-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Aldridge is too clumsy or too much in a rush most of the time in the PnR when teams hedge Kawhi high or double. That is when the pass to the roller (Aldridge) is located around the FT line. IAldridge isn't fluid with the ball and doesn't attack the basket fluidly when its 4 on 3 essentially for 1-2 seconds before the D recovers ( which is the case most often because LA is late at making decisions or he's in a full out rush --which leads to a turnover or a rushed contested shot. If LA would just be more decisive and aggressive in a patient/fluid manner making a move towards the basket it would open up so much more great opportunities. Dedmon is even worse at this.

LMA's lack of handles really stuck out against the Grizz last night. He fumbled the ball away several times trying to drive. That makes it harder for him to spot up, especially from 3 where he has more ground to cover on a counter move. Pau will put the ball on the floor against any sort of closeout on his 3s but he makes decent decisions and doesn't tend to just lose the ball.

And yes, Dedmon is even worse. I'm actually okay with him taking about 1 midrange J every game or two, he has good form.