PDA

View Full Version : 2017 MVP

dabom
03-31-2017, 10:30 PM
:lol

Mikeanaro
03-31-2017, 10:47 PM
I know NBA is a stupid business and they want Westcrook as their MVP, but how can you give the award to a dude that carried his team to a 6th seed?

Arcadian
03-31-2017, 10:48 PM
2017 MVP*

*denotes voters were stupid faggots

John Petrucci
03-31-2017, 10:49 PM
I know NBA is a stupid business and they want Westcrook as their MVP, but how can you give the award to a dude that carried his team to a 6th seed?

the obsession with a player averaging a triple double. Nothing more, nothing less.

I've literally heard guys with a vote say "If he averages the triple double, he's got my vote." Zero explanation or expounding. That's just it for many media guys.

Spurtacular
03-31-2017, 10:51 PM
WWE Basketball on Disney goes where the money is.

TheGreatYacht
03-31-2017, 11:08 PM
Yes. Westbrook is indeed the MVP

BillMc
03-31-2017, 11:21 PM
the obsession with a player averaging a triple double. Nothing more, nothing less.

I've literally heard guys with a vote say "If he averages the triple double, he's got my vote." Zero explanation or expounding. That's just it for many media guys.

I guess its the "rarity" reasoning. Something the sportswriters see only every few decades.

If a horse wins the Triple Crown, he's "Horse of the Year" even if he loses every other race. It's the novelty of it. If you average a triple double you get the MVP even with a 6 th seeded team. :lol The only way Russ was going to lose it would be if he missed the playoffs or Harden's stats were "close enough" and Houston got a top 2 seed.

cd98
03-31-2017, 11:24 PM
Harden is getting it.

GSH
04-01-2017, 12:10 AM
I've been saying it for a month - it's all about the narrative. If Harden averages a 3D, they will be talking about it non-stop until the next AllStar Break, at least. If Harden were to win it, they would have to find something new to crow about during the offseason. And they will be looking back and talking about it for years.

We've seen too many marginal players go to shitty teams and put up impressive-looking numbers. The fact is, there's no way anyone could average a triple-double on a good team. If nothing else, there's no way a 6'3" guy could be the leading rebounder on a good team. Have you looked at that lately? Harden is averaging 10.6 boards, and the next closest is Adams at 7.6. :lol

But... it doesn't matter. It's a great narrative for lazy-assed sportswriters and commentators, and its a done deal. All he has to do is average 3.5 RB and 5.6 AST for these last 7 games. Hell, Parker could to that... except for the RB's... and the AST's.

Mikeanaro
04-01-2017, 12:44 AM

Exactly, they were saying something like that during the HOU vs OCK game a few days ago, like ¨this game has no effect at all in the MVP race¨
Boston is having the best season in ages and nobody gives credit to the little man, thats so rude.
All those eleventh quintuple octuple have no effect at all if you finish with a 6th seed, like that Anthony Davis ASG MVP, it was a stunt.

UZER
04-01-2017, 12:53 AM
Exactly, they were saying something like that during the HOU vs OCK game a few days ago, like ¨this game has no effect at all in the MVP race¨
Boston is having the best season in ages and nobody gives credit to the little man, thats so rude.
All those eleventh quintuple octuple have no effect at all if you finish with a 6th seed, like that Anthony Davis ASG MVP, it was a stunt.

It always kinda raises a conflicts of interest issue to me. When the network has that much weight in the sport, steering narratives is manipulating outcomes.

Since the NFL rotates the SB, one network isn't in control of the ratings.

FkLA
04-01-2017, 12:55 AM
I've been saying it for a month - it's all about the narrative. If Harden averages a 3D, they will be talking about it non-stop until the next AllStar Break, at least. If Harden were to win it, they would have to find something new to crow about during the offseason. And they will be looking back and talking about it for years.

We've seen too many marginal players go to shitty teams and put up impressive-looking numbers. The fact is, there's no way anyone could average a triple-double on a good team. If nothing else, there's no way a 6'3" guy could be the leading rebounder on a good team. Have you looked at that lately? Harden is averaging 10.6 boards, and the next closest is Adams at 7.6. :lol

But... it doesn't matter. It's a great narrative for lazy-assed sportswriters and commentators, and its a done deal. All he has to do is average 3.5 RB and 5.6 AST for these last 7 games. Hell, Parker could to that... except for the RB's... and the AST's.

Crofl you've been going in on the Pork lately. I like it. :lol :tu

BillMc
04-01-2017, 05:06 PM
http://d2s3dt9f4iyeup.cloudfront.net/images/standard_v1/53ba8cf1-e508-4874-a761-90ca6afdf6d4.png

BillMc
04-01-2017, 05:32 PM
Kawhi Leonard (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6450/kawhi-leonard) now has had a game-sealing sequence against each of the other three main MVP contenders this season.Jan. 21: Against LeBron James (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/1966/lebron-james) and the Cavaliers in overtime, Leonard had a steal and dunk in the closing seconds to give the Spurs a five-point lead and ice it.
March 6: Against the Rockets, Leonard made a 3-pointer and blocked Harden’s shot on the ensuing possession in the final minute.
Friday: After Westbrook missed the go-ahead shot, Leonard took it coast-to-coast and got an and-1 to make it a two-possession game and essentially seal the win.
Leonard is also 7-2 in head-to-head matchups against the other three MVP candidates this season -- best of the group.

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/130768/top-mvp-candidates-cant-beat-nbas-best

SAGirl
04-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Amazing... clutch plays! :flag:

SpursFan86
04-01-2017, 07:20 PM
I love Kawhi as much as the next guy, but I think you have to be a pretty big homer to act like Harden/Westbrook don't have an argument as well for MVP :lol The seasons they're having are absolutely ridiculous.

I don't think it'd be a crime if any of Kawhi/Harden/Westbrook/LeBron won it, tbh.

dabom
04-01-2017, 07:26 PM
I love Kawhi as much as the next guy, but I think you have to be a pretty big homer to act like Harden/Westbrook don't have an argument as well for MVP :lol The seasons they're having are absolutely ridiculous.

I don't think it'd be a crime if any of Kawhi/Harden/Westbrook/LeBron won it, tbh.

Faggot.:lmao

DMC
04-01-2017, 08:54 PM
Westbrook's stats (rebounds especially) come from a system that gifts them to him. He has more than 7 uncontested defensive rebounds a game, so where is the guy he's covering? He gets about 1.4 or more rebounds off missed FTs because the other two bigs box out and let him run in but that tactic makes his team the 2nd worst team in the league in rebounds off missed FTs.

The team is sacrificing efficiency for RW's numbers. Pretending they do it for offense is a joke. They are trying to get WB the MVP and get attention on that shithole franchise after losing their franchise guy. The coaches and GM should be fired for that.

Kawhi is the league MVP. Harden is ok, but he doesn't play defense. You should not win MVP without playing defense. Steve Nash should never have won 2 MVPs and Shaq should have about 4 of them.

DMC
04-01-2017, 08:58 PM

Look at OKC's road record and talk again about the season they are having.

If WB was out a few games and they went on a huge slide, then he came back and they recovered, that's different. That's what happened with Nash and it swayed the votes, but Phoenix won 60 games or something like that. I cannot see a 6th seed with that road record having a league MVP.

dabom
04-06-2017, 06:34 PM
Bmp

spurs10
04-06-2017, 06:41 PM
When is the MVOP announced? :lol

dabom
04-06-2017, 06:49 PM
I don't know. Just doing my part of the hype.

Dex
04-06-2017, 07:26 PM
When is the MVOP announced? :lol

They used to do it during the postseason, but now they are announcing all awards on June 26th.

Yes, AFTER the Finals.

Today's NBA :lol

$pursDynasty
04-07-2017, 08:25 AM
As crazy as it sounds, there might still be a chance for the KingSlayer to get MVP this year. The drums are beating for Westbrook but there is a growing group that are against him. Either Hardenites, or people who don't think the Thunderrefs have won enough, or those who simply either don't like him or the way he has gone about getting this record. I watched Isiah Thomas actually put a piece together showing the Thunderrefs feeding Russ rebounds (an ESPN talking head did an animated short on it too) talk of his defensive ineffectiveness. So while he got a record no one ever thought they would see again crowd gets louder, so is the he is only a 6th seed and his team is artificially inflating his stats crowd. My feeling is that Harden supporters will put Westbrook 5th on their ballots, and the old schoolers for whom winning is everything won't have him higher than 4th. Likewise the Westbrook supporters who want Russ to win will slip Harden down to third on their ballots. This might mean Kiwi could sweep up all the 2nd place votes and actually be the MVP. In fact I think the powers that be fear this which is why the uptick in all the Russ coverage even in losses. Isiah seemed to truly take offense in how the Thunder rebound and the fact that Russ doesn't really play good defense.

BillMc
04-07-2017, 09:17 AM
They used to do it during the postseason, but now they are announcing all awards on June 26th.

Yes, AFTER the Finals.

Agree. Takes all the fun out of it.

Trueblood
04-07-2017, 09:53 AM
They need to just change the name of the award to offensive player of the year because that's all that they look at. Westbrook is a joke on defense and Harden openly talks about how his game wouldn't be "fun" anymore if he focused on defense. Watch the klaw get it on second place votes like he did his first DPotY

NameLess Scrub
04-07-2017, 11:23 AM
As crazy as it sounds, there might still be a chance for the KingSlayer to get MVP this year. The drums are beating for Westbrook but there is a growing group that are against him. Either Hardenites, or people who don't think the Thunderrefs have won enough, or those who simply either don't like him or the way he has gone about getting this record. I watched Isiah Thomas actually put a piece together showing the Thunderrefs feeding Russ rebounds (an ESPN talking head did an animated short on it too) talk of his defensive ineffectiveness. So while he got a record no one ever thought they would see again crowd gets louder, so is the he is only a 6th seed and his team is artificially inflating his stats crowd. My feeling is that Harden supporters will put Westbrook 5th on their ballots, and the old schoolers for whom winning is everything won't have him higher than 4th. Likewise the Westbrook supporters who want Russ to win will slip Harden down to third on their ballots. This might mean Kiwi could sweep up all the 2nd place votes and actually be the MVP. In fact I think the powers that be fear this which is why the uptick in all the Russ coverage even in losses. Isiah seemed to truly take offense in how the Thunder rebound and the fact that Russ doesn't really play good defense.

Got a link to the analysis?

$pursDynasty
04-07-2017, 01:05 PM
It was this week post game nbatv show not sure which day, will look for it when I have time.

spursistan
04-07-2017, 11:24 PM

This stat-padding faggot is going to be the league MVP :lmao..Down 20 with 2 minutes left..

dabom
04-07-2017, 11:30 PM
Why do people even care for big numbers on poverty/lottery teams. :lmao

dabom
04-07-2017, 11:30 PM
The cousins of guards. :lmao

BillMc
04-09-2017, 03:57 PM
ESPN with their prediction BS http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19117727/nba-espn-forecast-predictions-nba-mvphttp://a.espncdn.com/i/infographics/20170409_nbamvp/should_update.pnghttp://a.espncdn.com/i/infographics/20170409_nbamvp/will_update.png

dabom
04-09-2017, 03:59 PM
ESPN is trying to sell the guy who generates the most clicks. It's a sad time to give it to a stat padder.

dabom
04-09-2017, 04:01 PM
There are only 2 clear choices. You either like all the stat padding and you give it to Westbrook over harden, or you give it to the guy that has wins, Kawhi over harden.

BillMc
04-09-2017, 04:04 PM
ESPN is trying to sell the guy who generates the most clicks. It's a sad time to give it to a stat padder.

Yep.

Which MVP has the best record against the teams of the other MVP's? By far?

Which of the MVP plays the best defense? It's not just an offensive award!

spursistan
04-09-2017, 04:30 PM

dabom
04-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Kawhi picking up some steam.

spurs10
04-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Yeah Sean was right, they should call it MVOP!

Old School 44
04-11-2017, 12:25 PM
They need to just change the name of the award to offensive player of the year because that's all that they look at. Westbrook is a joke on defense and Harden openly talks about how his game wouldn't be "fun" anymore if he focused on defense. Watch the klaw get it on second place votes like he did his first DPotY
This. The Harden/Westbrook camp's first place votes will be split, and Kawhi will get most of the second place votes.

SpursFan86
04-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Holy shit, Clutchfans is seriously melting down about Harden potentially not winning it this year :lol

spurs10
04-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Even Harden saying it should be about wins...of course he wasn't thinking about Kawhi who obviously has him beat there and as an all around player.

$pursDynasty
04-11-2017, 12:39 PM
This. The Harden/Westbrook camp's first place votes will be split, and Kawhi will get most of the second place votes.

Westbrook supporters: Triple doubles rule!!! We can't put Harden #2 he might beat out our guy, let's go Kawhi at #2 (Harden at #4 or #5)

Harden Supporters: Wins matter. We can't let that chucker Westbrook win so let's put Kiwi at #2 because wins matter (Westbrook at #4 or #5)

Lebron Supporters: Best player on the planet, screw those stat whores, people better recognize the King! Let's put Kiwi #2 he isn't serious competition. (Russ and Harden at #4 and #5)

Kiwi Supporters: Best player with the best record of the contenders. I have no idea where they go at #2 because to be a Kiwi guy means you respect defense but none of the other 3 contenders regularly emphasize it, maybe LBJ?

dabom
04-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Kawhi number is number 2.

baseline bum
04-11-2017, 12:44 PM
I can live with Harden getting MVP. He has done a lot without much of a supporting cast in Houston. But Westbrook winning MVP would be a disgrace. I hate how everyone fawns over his statpadding, just like they used to do with Rondo's overrated ass in Boston. Westbrook has a lot better supporting cast than Harden does and yet they're going to get 46-48 wins while Houston will finish with 54-55.

Brazil
04-11-2017, 12:46 PM
meh

dabom
04-11-2017, 12:50 PM
meh

You'd be all over this if it was porker.

SpursFan86
04-11-2017, 12:55 PM
Does Westbrook statpad? Sure. Has he still put up an absolutely incredible and historic season while having a monstrous positive impact on games? Definitely.

Literally every metric/number out there points to the idea that Westbrook is helping his team win games. It's not like he's just putting up gaudy box score numbers and his team doesn't do well with him on the floor. His team falls off a cliff without him.

If you think Harden or Kawhi should be MVP over him, I'm cool with that. But acting like Westbrook doesn't have a legitimate argument for MVP is going a bit overboard IMO. Dude has been ridiculous this year.

dabom
04-11-2017, 12:59 PM
This faggot always shows up to gobble another team's player. :lmao

Brazil
04-11-2017, 01:03 PM
You'd be all over this if it was porker.

:lol my meh was about an embedded tweet that went wrong

for the rest you know my stance about it, Kawhi should be mvp. Har_en is second and westbrook is a fucker that can eat shit

dabom
04-11-2017, 01:06 PM
:lol my meh was about an embedded tweet that went wrong

for the rest you know my stance about it, Kawhi should be mvp. Har_en is second and westbrook is a fucker that can eat shit

Props.

Seventyniner
04-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Does Westbrook statpad? Sure. Has he still put up an absolutely incredible and historic season while having a monstrous positive impact on games? Definitely.

Literally every metric/number out there points to the idea that Westbrook is helping his team win games. It's not like he's just putting up gaudy box score numbers and his team doesn't do well with him on the floor. His team falls off a cliff without him.

If you think Harden or Kawhi should be MVP over him, I'm cool with that. But acting like Westbrook doesn't have a legitimate argument for MVP is going a bit overboard IMO. Dude has been ridiculous this year.

But those metrics and numbers are based off box scores so stat padding will affect those too. Westbrook's stat padding all season long is fairly unprecedented, even though he definitely ticks the "his team would be far worse without him" box.

TampaDude
04-11-2017, 01:22 PM

Yes, AFTER the Finals.

So, we'll know who the Finals MVP is before we know who the regular season MVP is. :lol

baseline bum
04-11-2017, 01:23 PM

I don't see what's historic about statpadding. Curry's season last year was historic. This season is just Westbrook out for self. Westbrook has some really solid players around him and there is no excuse for the Thunder to not be a 52 win team or better. The Thunder are painful to watch this year and I hope Houston gives them the broom.

Brazil
04-11-2017, 01:41 PM
I don't see what's historic about statpadding. Curry's season last year was historic. This season is just Westbrook out for self. Westbrook has some really solid players around him and there is no excuse for the Thunder to not be a 52 win team or better. The Thunder are painful to watch this year and I hope Houston gives them the broom.

Seeing Spurs fans defending idea it is ok to stat pad useless records detrimental to the team is ok make me cringe tbh... I guess that's a new generation stuff

FkLA
04-11-2017, 01:45 PM

How much of that is on Donovan and Russ himself though? Everything is catered towards him in an unhealthy manner, so that he gets his numbers. Is it really a surprise that the team falls apart and doesn't know what to do when he's out. It's not like there's a system in place to fall back on once he sits like there is for Kawhi or even Haren.

SAGirl
04-11-2017, 02:03 PM
It should be Kawhi. Winner in a winning team in a tough conference with no other all stars, and a supporting cast that while illustrious is past their prime, with Lamarcus having fallen off offensively from his prior seasons, and some rookies and younger players that are untested. His execution late in games won many games for the Spurs and he outplayed every other MVP candidate when they met. OKC did give trouble to the Spurs at the end of the season, Memphi embarrassed the team and in general, the team's malaise toward the end discredits Kawhis impressive season.

Thomas82
04-11-2017, 06:11 PM
It should be Kawhi. Winner in a winning team in a tough conference with no other all stars, and a supporting cast that while illustrious is past their prime, with Lamarcus having fallen off offensively from his prior seasons, and some rookies and younger players that are untested. His execution late in games won many games for the Spurs and he outplayed every other MVP candidate when they met. OKC did give trouble to the Spurs at the end of the season, Memphi embarrassed the team and in general, the team's malaise toward the end discredits Kawhis impressive season.

+1

Spurtacular
04-12-2017, 01:30 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/james-harden-daryl-morey-try-make-winning-mvp-case-russell-westbrook-205033151.html

Spurtacular
04-12-2017, 01:31 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/4/11/15258374/james-harden-nba-mvp-kawhi-leonard-spurs-rockets?yptr=yahoo

spurs10
04-12-2017, 01:57 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/4/11/15258374/james-harden-nba-mvp-kawhi-leonard-spurs-rockets?yptr=yahoo
Exactly!