PDA

View Full Version : What NBA data do we have that suggest resting actually works?

apalisoc_9
04-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Seeing as we're the most "rested" NBA team in the league by far
I thought why not talk about resting.

So the most common reasoning why Players rest is fatigue and Injury which is tied in according to medical personel. The more fatigued the player, the higher the chances of Injury. Another reason, is to keep players fresh for the playoffs. Another reason I've heard floating around, is resting is key so Your team have better legs in the fourth quarter...Also, we have older player but that's not within this topic because Popvich is clearly doing the same thing with Aldridge( who is barely averaging Star minutes), Leonard, Green etc.

Clearly resting in the regular season for fresher legs in the playoffs has offered very little to no actual advantage. For the last two years, the spurs have looked way more tired, easily fatigued than their not so rested rivals.

Preventing Injuries. Fatigue has been medically proven to be one of the causes of Injuries. However, how much does it trully affect Proffesional athletes? The Spurs hasn't exactly had the Injury advantage against rivals for like 5 years. I get it, it makes sense. The less time a player spends time in the court smaller the chance of injury. But to what degrees does this offer the team an advantage? And does loosing games in the short term matter to give the team this advantage? We've lost games becuase of not having homecourt advantage but we've never actually won because we are so healthy and they are banged up.

Preparing for a better 4th quarter...Game is played in 48 minites. Might be dumbest reason. If it is even a reason.

I ask this because Leonard, Aldridge clearly run out of gas despite playing significantly less minutes than their rivals. Once Leonard and Aldirdge hit the 38+ mark, they clearly dont function as well as other star players who get less rest.

Danny Greem for example has looked like he can barely even lift his arms or even breathe if he plays north of 35 and the dude has been avergaing 29-32 minutes the last 4 years.

dabom
04-02-2017, 05:38 PM
The Spurs need the rest to look like NBA players. If they were young, it would be GSWs times 10.

apalisoc_9
04-02-2017, 05:40 PM
Again, older players dont count in the scenario because Aldridge-Green-Leonard are all "rested" players.

dabom
04-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Again, older players dont count in the scenario because Aldridge-Green-Leonard are all "rested" players.

Still have old players on out team. And I was talking about superior players from Tim Duncan and Manu and Tony if they had rest and young on this team.

dabom
04-02-2017, 05:42 PM
All the best teams rest. Spurs, GSW and Cavs.

Clipper Nation
04-02-2017, 05:44 PM
"The NBA recently has changed their schedule to include fewer back to back games tocombat the high number of injuries. However, our model shows the number of back to backgames in the 14 day aggregation period is one of the least important features in predicting injuries.Instead, the number of total games a player plays does have an effect on injury risk. This means thedeeper a player goes into the season the higher the risk of injury. This can also be used to strategically rest players because most of the games missed due to resting should happen towardsthe second half of the season."

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/1590-Preventing-in-game-injuries-for-NBA-players.pdf

apalisoc_9
04-02-2017, 05:44 PM
"The NBA recently has changed their schedule to include fewer back to back games tocombat the high number of injuries. However, our model shows the number of back to backgames in the 14 day aggregation period is one of the least important features in predicting injuries.Instead, the number of total games a player plays does have an effect on injury risk. This means thedeeper a player goes into the season the higher the risk of injury. This can also be used to strategically rest players because most of the games missed due to resting should happen towardsthe second half of the season."

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/1590-Preventing-in-game-injuries-for-NBA-players.pdf

Nice...I'm going to read this pdf..

Mr. Body
04-02-2017, 05:47 PM
The fact that Duncan played until 40 and that Ginobili will too.

TheGreatYacht
04-02-2017, 05:49 PM
Not sure but I do know it's not a coincidence that players coached by Thibs get career enders..

dabom
04-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Not sure but I do know it's not a coincidence that players coached by Thibs get career enders..

:lol

apalisoc_9
04-02-2017, 05:54 PM
According to that report, Teams still randomly rest players. I don't know if the spurs use this forumla or not, but Considering the predictablity..probably not.

Also, the mid 2000 had significanly less injuries and early 2000 had either less injuries or significantly less than 2011-2013. I wonder of there is any date for 2014-2017 but teams have started the resting thing way back in 09.

apalisoc_9
04-02-2017, 05:57 PM

He also plays already injured players..kinda stupid. Thibs has been one of the mlre active coaches in these confrences and the dude still plaus everyone 90 minutes.

Axcording to this report, overall workload has a lot more to do with injury rather than increased short term workload (back to backs) in fact, very little suggest that back to back (short term) even have an effect.

ducks
04-02-2017, 06:39 PM
The fact that Duncan played until 40 and that Ginobili will too.

cd98
04-02-2017, 08:20 PM
Fact that GSW chased the regular season record and got up 3-1 in finals and ran out of gas.

YGWHI
04-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Fact that GSW chased the regular season record and got up 3-1 in finals and ran out of gas.

Fact that neither Curry or Klay played great in the whole Finals games, there is reason why Iguodala in 2015 and Dray in 2016 were their best players.

People love to think they were tired but they don't realize that 3-point shooters can be so streaky..

ducks
04-02-2017, 09:48 PM
According to that report, Teams still randomly rest players. I don't know if the spurs use this forumla or not, but Considering the predictablity..probably not.

Also, the mid 2000 had significanly less injuries and early 2000 had either less injuries or significantly less than 2011-2013. I wonder of there is any date for 2014-2017 but teams have started the resting thing way back in 09.
Pop went public and said when they rest players it adds three years to players career

Using what they know now

Ice009
04-03-2017, 12:37 AM
It's all about conditioning. If you're training for a fight or something like that, and you're resting all the time, how do you expect to win that fight if it goes past the third round? It really is quite logical to me when you think of it along those lines. You might be the best fighter/player, but if you had to work harder than you expected to, to get to the 3rd round, you might not have the conditioning to finish it off and end up losing due to lack of conditioning/endurance. You may not be able to perform well at all while fatigued.

This is a touchy subject, and I haven't agreed with doing it for the past 5 or 6 years, or whenever it was that Pop started it. I only thought it was OK to rest players such as Tim and Manu (I did agree with those two resting games strategically at certain times during the season) who have/had problems with their joints due to wear and tear, but again, as I've said before, healthy players shouldn't rest. Conditioning is very important to finishing games strong, IMO. I also think conditioning is very important to performing and going far in the playoffs.

Hoops Czar
04-03-2017, 12:51 AM
There is no statistical proof that resting players for entire games is more beneficial than managing their minutes throughout the course of the season. Furthermore, you can't prevent injuries from occurring no matter how hard you try so let try he players play.

Ginobili was well rested the last two seasons yet, all that rest didn't translate to production in the postseason. He was sitting on the bench in the clutch. Virtually unplayable in the last two postseasons.

Hoops Czar
04-03-2017, 12:56 AM

By running out of gas, you mean Bogut getting injured, Draymond getting suspended and Curry inexplicably fouling out of a game for the first time in his career. Yes, they were dead tired. Kerr should have given them games 5 & 6 off so they would have been well rested for game 7.

skulls138
04-03-2017, 12:59 AM
Look what happened to the Warriors after they rested in San Antonio, it was the beginning of their turnaround. I thought it was good move then and now.

Ice009
04-03-2017, 01:17 AM

This isn't what happened at all. If you believe this, then you either didn't watch the finals or don't no much about Basketball.

apalisoc_9
04-03-2017, 01:38 AM
This isn't what happened at all. If you believe this, then you either didn't watch the finals or don't no much about Basketball.

Donatas Bum sweat has more to do with the injury than playing a lot lf games. :lol

apalisoc_9
04-03-2017, 01:48 AM
There is no statistical proof that resting players for entire games is more beneficial than managing their minutes throughout the course of the season. Furthermore, you can't prevent injuries from occurring no matter how hard you try so let try he players play.

Ginobili was well rested the last two seasons yet, all that rest didn't translate to production in the postseason. He was sitting on the bench in the clutch. Virtually unplayable in the last two postseasons.

Well According to the report on this thread (check out Clipper link)..Overall workload plays a factor in player injuries. So teams can choose to rest players either by resting whole games or regulate their minutes. There isn't any proof to suggest one works better than the ๒ther.

I do find this conclusion rather odd considering the data presebted though. According to their research, the mid 2000s had significantly less injuries than 2011-2013.

If decreasing workload is important in preventing injuries, why does data suggest otherwise?

I agree about overall performance though. Minute regulation is probably better than resting complete games. But you have to wonder how beneficial it is in the long run. Watching Leonard-Green-Aldridge run out of Gas a lot faster than The paul-Durant-Westbrook makes you wonder if long term, in a playoff scenario its detrimental.

duncan2k5
04-03-2017, 06:33 AM
Ppl talk about the warriors last year, but fail to mention we have a sorry track record of not playing as good as our record indicates during the playoffs... Which is why teams think we aren't a threat...embarrassed by grid in first round...SUPER embarrassed by the freaking Lakers...embarrassed by the suns...I can keep going...so resting our players has been bad in the past, and I think its even worse now because this group has no chemistry