PDA

View Full Version : Magic interested in trading for Davis Bertans

Uriel
04-04-2017, 01:33 AM
The agent of Patricio Garino (the Argentine guy we cut during training camp) tweeted a photo today of him signing a contract for the rest of the season with the Orlando Magic.

The thing is, that photo showed a whiteboard in the background that appears to contain the Magic's offseason strategy.

http://tu9srvbirvvtnsr3d3cudhjiaw1nlmnvbq00.g00.orlandose ntinel.com/g00/2_d3d3Lm9ybGFuZG9zZW50aW5lbC5jb20%3D_/TU9SRVBIRVVTNSRodHRwOi8vd3d3LnRyYmltZy5jb20vaW1nLT U4ZTMwM2YxL3R1cmJpbmUvb3MtMTQ5MTI3Mjc3OC1heXhkNTJx cHh6LXNuYXAtaW1hZ2UvNjAwLzYwMHgzMzg%2FaTEwYy5tYXJr LmltYWdlLnR5cGU%3D_$/$/$/$/$/$

In the whiteboard, you can see Davis Bertans' name listed under "Spread Bigs Trade," meaning he's on a shortlist of "spread the floor" bigs the Magic may be interested in trading for in the offseason.

EDIT: Kyle Anderson is also on the list.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-magic-photo-leak-0403-story.html

BillMc
04-04-2017, 01:39 AM
Good post.

Who on the Magic is worth Davis? Or better said, who on the Magic is worth what Davis may become? Don't know their roster at all.

apalisoc_9
04-04-2017, 01:49 AM
Well that just ruined Garino Magics days.

He's a bit of a dumbass of you ask me

Em-City
04-04-2017, 01:54 AM
Kyle anderson is also on the list:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-magic-photo-leak-0403-story.html

apalisoc_9
04-04-2017, 01:57 AM

Nope. Pretty sure thats ryan anderson

Uriel
04-04-2017, 02:00 AM

By that logic, so is Tony Parker :lol

SAGirl
04-04-2017, 02:02 AM
Last name on the hybrid player column clearly has a K. Anderson... he's last in that list though.

You have to look in the original article... OP cropped that picture he shared and it doesn't have the complete list.

Uriel
04-04-2017, 03:07 AM
Last name on the hybrid player column clearly has a K. Anderson... he's last in that list though.

You have to look in the original article... OP cropped that picture he shared and it doesn't have the complete list.
You're right. My bad. Kyle Anderson is also on the list.

http://tu9srvbirvvtnir3d3cudhjiaw1nlmnvbq00.g00.orlandose ntinel.com/g00/2_d3d3Lm9ybGFuZG9zZW50aW5lbC5jb20%3D_/TU9SRVBIRVVTNiRodHRwOi8vd3d3LnRyYmltZy5jb20vaW1nLT U4ZTMwNDQ4L3R1cmJpbmUvb3MtMTQ5MTI3Mjg2Ny1wcmtxNWww eG9tLXNuYXAtaW1hZ2UvNDE2LzQxNngyMzQ%2FaTEwYy5tYXJr LmltYWdlLnR5cGU%3D_$/$/$/$/$/$

DeRozan m8
04-04-2017, 04:04 AM
HOLY SHIT F*CK YES!!

PLEASE TAKE KYLE!!

TAKE HIM FOR FREE.

IF YOU FUCKING TOUCH BERTANS THOUGH :ihit

Thomas82
04-04-2017, 06:19 AM
Good post.

Who on the Magic is worth Davis? Or better said, who on the Magic is worth what Davis may become? Don't know their roster at all.

I'm thinking it could be some kind of draft day package.

jermaine
04-04-2017, 07:05 AM
HOLY SHIT F*CK YES!!

PLEASE TAKE KYLE!!

TAKE HIM FOR FREE.

I use Kyle as my pg on 2k17.... So no you dick! They can't have him!

sasaint
04-04-2017, 07:41 AM
Good post.

Fournier, Payton, Vucevic, Ross, Hezonja. Depends on who/what we are willing to give up. They have made some disappointing moves that haven't paid off. I think they will blow it up this off- season.

sasaint
04-04-2017, 07:45 AM
I'm thinking it could be some kind of draft day package.

Would have to be, in order for the Spurs to get value for good players on cheap contracts.

dabom
04-04-2017, 08:01 AM
HOLY SHIT F*CK YES!!

PLEASE TAKE KYLE!!

TAKE HIM FOR FREE.

Keepin' it real
04-04-2017, 08:25 AM
When is the trade deadline?

Mr. Body
04-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Wow, Baroni, what a dumb ass.

Brazil
04-04-2017, 08:42 AM
what a dumb ass organization to have let this leak happen tbh...

couchman
04-04-2017, 09:22 AM
Elfrid Payton is an interesting player.
6'4" point guard.
Averages 12.6 pts 6.3 assists and 4.7 rebounds per game at around 29 min pg.
The 47% FG shooting percentage is also nice.
I'm guessing his size and athletic ability make him a potentially good defender.

Big problem is his 3 point shooting is terrible at 27%.
The 69% FT percentage indicates there is a fundamental problem with his shot.
I don't know if Chip could fix that?
Also, he needs a haircut, haha.

MaNu4Tres
04-04-2017, 09:34 AM
In the Summer, kick tires with Kyle Anderson for Magic's 2nd rounder. Get it done R.C.

sasaint
04-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Elfrid Payton is an interesting player.
6'4" point guard.
Averages 12.6 pts 6.3 assists and 4.7 rebounds per game at around 29 min pg.
The 47% FG shooting percentage is also nice.
I'm guessing his size and athletic ability make him a potentially good defender.

Big problem is his 3 point shooting is terrible at 27%.
The 69% FT percentage indicates there is a fundamental problem with his shot.
I don't know if Chip could fix that?
Also, he needs a haircut, haha.

At least he isn't Dennis Schroder, aka Cruella DeVille (Cite: GSH). :lmao

sasaint
04-04-2017, 09:41 AM
In the Summer, kick tires with Kyle Anderson for Magic's 2nd rounder. Get it done R.C.

In a draft year that is thought to be very deep, it is hard to say what value Kyle has - in the event PATFO is interested in moving him. It is a pity that Kyle's rookie deal doesn't end in a different draft.

hater
04-04-2017, 09:44 AM
CIA magic tbqh

The Russians did the same thing when they tweeted a pic of a new weapon "by mistake"

Apparently is an autonomous drone sub loaded with dirty nukes that would turn the East Coast into green radioactive grilled cheese :lol

sananspursfan21
04-04-2017, 09:56 AM
It'd be awesome to get Mario Hezonja or Elfrid Payton for all you guys clamoring for a PG even though he's basically a little further developed Dejounte

TheGreatYacht
04-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Mario Hezonja is one of the worst players in the league. Another overrated euro. No thanks.

GSH
04-04-2017, 10:03 AM
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Magic personnel people didn't want Garino to take a photo and post it.

I'm pretty sure the Magic will be getting the Clippers' first round pick via Toronto. It will only be 5-7 spots higher than the Spurs' pick, but in 2013 just one spot higher would have gotten them Rudy Gobert instead of LJC. But I sure as hell wouldn't give up Bertans on a friendly contract to chase a 24-or-so draft pick.

The problem with trading with Orlando is that they don't have many players that the Spurs are looking at, thinking "I want him." The ones they do have are on big contracts, so the Spurs would have to send out salary to match. The only way I can think of that happening is if Manu plans to retire, and they just sign him for trade ballast, knowing that he gets cut immediately.

Spur|n|Austin
04-04-2017, 10:19 AM
I don't know if I've ever seen a professional organization pull such a bonehead move. Wow, smh.

TheGreatYacht
04-04-2017, 10:28 AM
Would trade both Kyle and Bertans for that 24th pick...

After next season, those friendly contracts are gone.

james evans
04-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Anderson is actually a good player on 2k. I can't hit shit with Danny Green even whenhe's wide open, Ginobli turns the ball over, and we can't hit freethrows in the 4th. Bullshit. I used to start Murray before his injury. Parker is a liability on defense

wildbill2u
04-04-2017, 11:03 AM
This rookie Bertans is just beginning to show what he can do. At 6'10 and a hard worker who can really shoot, it would be a shame to lose him. If you think back, Pop doesn't give rookies much floor time, but Bertans seems to be earning minutes in various matchups, not just in garbage time.

urunobili
04-04-2017, 11:04 AM
I hope Bertans stays a Spur. These playoffs will seal the fate of Deadmon, Simmons and Anderson but I don't think Bertans future is so dependent in it...

GSH
04-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Would trade both Kyle and Bertans for that 24th pick...

After next season, those friendly contracts are gone.

Yeah, I don't know. This draft is full of big men, and there are going to be some steals at 24. But not many players at any height have a 3P stroke like Bertans. He clearly rehabbed from the knee injuries. Give him a year to adjust to the pace of the NBA? I'd trade Bertans for a shot at the next Rudy Gobert - but not for the next Livio Jean-Charles. I just don't think you can let go of a player because you're afraid he'll get good enough that you'll have to pay him.

Play Boban
04-04-2017, 12:07 PM
I will trade Davis to Orlando if they are also willing to take on the albatross that is Porker. If not, no deal.

- RC

Dex
04-04-2017, 12:07 PM
I hope Bertans stays a Spur. These playoffs will seal the fate of Deadmon, Simmons and Anderson but I don't think Bertans future is so dependent in it...

Bertans still has another year on his contract with no option. It sounds like the Spurs coaching staff is pretty high on him, so I'm pretty sure next year is when they will really evaluate what he is worth.

SAGirl
04-04-2017, 01:04 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Magic personnel people didn't want Garino to take a photo and post it.

I'm pretty sure the Magic will be getting the Clippers' first round pick via Toronto. It will only be 5-7 spots higher than the Spurs' pick, but in 2013 just one spot higher would have gotten them Rudy Gobert instead of LJC. But I sure as hell wouldn't give up Bertans on a friendly contract to chase a 24-or-so draft pick.

The problem with trading with Orlando is that they don't have many players that the Spurs are looking at, thinking "I want him." The ones they do have are on big contracts, so the Spurs would have to send out salary to match. The only way I can think of that happening is if Manu plans to retire, and they just sign him for trade ballast, knowing that he gets cut immediately.
That would be nice for Manu as he would get another paycheck for his trouble. We shall see if PATFO stands pat again.

SAGirl
04-04-2017, 01:09 PM
Pop has said he's someone that has a future with the organization for sure.
Him staying healthy through the season is a great sign bc he's had that knee injury twice in a row so it was a question mark for me. I doubt in reality that they are looking to move him or Anderson, but one doesn't know what Magic are willing to give up. Ppl have to temper expectations too though, they aren't the first guys on that list, more like last and next to last respectively. I think if no deal gets done it's bc Magic didn't send back enough value for any one of them.

look_at_g_shred
04-04-2017, 02:14 PM
RC's Board:
Extend Parker

dabom
04-04-2017, 02:21 PM
RC's Board:
Extend Parker

Max extension.

I. Hustle
04-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Max extension.

Bend over. I'll show you max extension.

SpursforSix
04-04-2017, 02:27 PM
CIA magic tbqh

The Russians did the same thing when they tweeted a pic of a new weapon "by mistake"

Apparently is an autonomous drone sub loaded with dirty nukes that would turn the East Coast into green radioactive grilled cheese :lol

Yeah...because the Magic FO is known to be genius.

SpursforSix
Bend over. I'll show you max extension.

:lol

FkLA
Garino deserves to be cut and heads should roll in the Magic front office for this, imo.

I'm also not as set on dropping Fathead. He's been decent for a while now. If he can ever develop a 3PT shot he'd be a damn good back-up to Kawhi, tbh.

gambit1990
04-04-2017, 03:17 PM
would the magic be interested in trading that whiteboard for tp?

8FOR!3
04-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Hezonja's got a lot of upside. Idk if it'd be worth giving up Bertans for though. Maybe Kyle but idk if they'd take that trade.

Strategic
04-04-2017, 03:44 PM
Bertans, Murray and 1st round pick for Orlando's first round pick. Say it ain't so!

cd021
04-04-2017, 04:25 PM

We're talking about the 34th pick. Not worth it considering Anderson can play right now and the player drafted would likely need time to develop, if he were to pan out at all

Em-City
04-04-2017, 04:36 PM
Pop has said he's someone that has a future with the organization for sure.
Him staying healthy through the season is a great sign bc he's had that knee injury twice in a row so it was a question mark for me. I doubt in reality that they are looking to move him or Anderson, but one doesn't know what Magic are willing to give up. Ppl have to temper expectations too though, they aren't the first guys on that list, more like last and next to last respectively. I think if no deal gets done it's bc Magic didn't send back enough value for any one of them.

Looking at the board, it seemed like they were listing players by team, not by preference, just based on how the two lists align. Having said that, with 60-somerhing names listed, our guys are likely not the most attractive options up there.

MaNu4Tres
04-04-2017, 04:44 PM
We're talking about the 34th pick. Not worth it considering Anderson can play right now and the player drafted would likely need time to develop, if he were to pan out at all

Give me the 33rd-35th pick w/ Spurs scouting/player development on 3-4 yr deal instead of 1 more yr of Kyle before he's a RFA (due for 5-7 mil per).

Despite his play the past 5-8 games, in the long run over the course of the past 3 years, Kyle has flat-lined. He actually was better his rookie year than he was the first half of this season.

Spurs9
04-04-2017, 04:44 PM

:cheer:cheer:cheer:chestbump:danceclub:danceclub:d anceclub:danceclub:danceclub:danceclub

TheDoctor
04-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Bertans is a time bomb to happen tbh. PATFO knows this and should deal him on Draft Night.

Spurs9
04-04-2017, 05:03 PM
Bertans is a time bomb to happen tbh. PATFO knows this and should deal him on Draft Night.

Agreed, I would trade him too for 1st rounder. Probably won't even be able to afford him after next season because some team will try to grossly overpay.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-04-2017, 05:14 PM
It would be a total Pop move to have a bunch of BS posted in the background of a photo that will be scrutinized like this one will just to throw people off. Not sure the Magic are that bright, though. Maybe it was the janitor's thoughts on the whole off-season personnel process.

TheDoctor
04-04-2017, 05:14 PM
Hezonja's got a lot of upside. Idk if it'd be worth giving up Bertans for though. Maybe Kyle but idk if they'd take that trade.

I'm sure the Spurs could turn Hezonja in a taller, more efficient JR Smith. He's a streaky shooter and a slasher.

TheDoctor
04-04-2017, 05:17 PM
It would be a total Pop move to have a bunch of BS posted in the background of a photo that will be scrutinized like this one will just to throw people off. Not sure the Magic are that bright, though. Maybe it was the janitor's thoughts on the whole off-season personnel process.

Chad Forcier.

cd021
04-05-2017, 01:56 AM
Give me the 33rd-35th pick w/ Spurs scouting/player development on 3-4 yr deal instead of 1 more yr of Kyle before he's a RFA (due for 5-7 mil per).

Despite his play the past 5-8 games, in the long run over the course of the past 3 years, Kyle has flat-lined. He actually was better his rookie year than he was the first half of this season.

I agree with the scouting and player development and I would love for the Spurs to get another pick in the early 30's (a lot of NBA talent tents to slip there every year) That being said, I really like Anderson's game and the only real issue I see with his game is him his 3pt shooting. He has also been shoehorned in to a position that he is uncomfortable with. I compare him with Cojo in the sense that it really took three full seasons for him to actually look like an NBA player, Anderson is already ahead of where Cojo was at this point in his career and I expect him to take a big step forward in year 4 like Cojo did.

GSH
04-05-2017, 02:07 AM
Anderson is already ahead of where Cojo was at this point in his career and I expect him to take a big step forward in year 4 like Cojo did.

The only way Anderson is ahead of anybody is if he had a big head start... and whoever it is will catch up.

MaNu4Tres
04-05-2017, 06:59 AM
I agree with the scouting and player development and I would love for the Spurs to get another pick in the early 30's (a lot of NBA talent tents to slip there every year) That being said, I really like Anderson's game and the only real issue I see with his game is him his 3pt shooting. He has also been shoehorned in to a position that he is uncomfortable with. I compare him with Cojo in the sense that it really took three full seasons for him to actually look like an NBA player, Anderson is already ahead of where Cojo was at this point in his career and I expect him to take a big step forward in year 4 like Cojo did.

Kyle is a 10th-12th man/4th-5th wing at best on a contender. The teams who pay the 10th-12th man their market value ( if its not the minimum) tend to be the teams managed by the most inept GMs in the league. Spurs aren't one of those. Only way I see SA holding on to Kyle, is if Spurs don't fetch a high 2nd or anything of value on the trade market this summer, and if Kyle doesn't field anything higher than 3 million on the open market next summer.

TheGreatYacht
04-05-2017, 08:36 AM
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried

cd021
04-07-2017, 01:54 PM
Kyle is a 10th-12th man/4th-5th wing at best on a contender. The teams who pay the 10th-12th man their market value ( if its not the minimum) tend to be the teams managed by the most inept GMs in the league. Spurs aren't one of those. Only way I see SA holding on to Kyle, is if Spurs don't fetch a high 2nd or anything of value on the trade market this summer, and if Kyle doesn't field anything higher than 3 million on the open market next summer.

He is that on this team, right now. He still could very easily improve his standing with continued work on his shot, that is his main issue. The ability to knock down the open corner 3 allows for him to play off the ball and be a competent option as the backup 3 (assuming that Simmons the backup 2 if Manu retires and he is resigned, or even if Simmons leaves).

I really like his potential as stretch 4; his rebounding is very good, in the 15 games where he's played 20 minutes or more he's averaging 6.0 rebounds in those games. His improvement as a shooter could make him a more natural fit at PF.

As for the trading him part; I wasn't aware that Orlando had 4 picks, (the 5th, 24th, 33rd, and 34th according to Draft Xpress as of 3/27 when their last Mock came out).

For the 24th pick or the 33rd and 34th pick's I would consider it. If Orlando is really interested, then having the 29th, 33rd, 34th pick, and the 59th pick would be a nice way of restocking the cubbard with out giving up a lot to do so. There are several international players of intrigue that pulled out of the draft last year that could be around late in the second so the Spurs could conceivably find a decent prospect with the 59th pick.

I like several player in the mid to late 20's and the early 30's. If the Spurs could nab the 24th pick that would put them in range to draft Kennard, who's an excellent shooter, or Giles, who was the #2 player in the country coming out of high school but has fallen because of injury. There are 10 PF/C's that are projected to go in the 28-39 range

I doubt see the Spurs making that move though, especially with Mills potentially getting poached, & Manu retiring, that may increase the likelihood of the Spurs keeping Simmons but they'd be looking at replacing two long time rotation players, Anderson, while also needing to find also incorporating a rising sophomore into the rotation. The Spurs also really seem to like Anderson.

CGD
04-08-2017, 08:52 AM
Great, the cost is a first rounder in the 10-20 range in this draft.

TheDoctor
04-08-2017, 08:58 AM
https://media.tenor.co/images/84effb566a6dbe4e4afd8695eee9f44b/tenor.gif

cjw
04-08-2017, 10:47 AM

Do you get several 8 second violations a game?

sasaint
04-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Do you get several 8 second violations a game?

I root for Kyle, but that's funny! :lol

mudyez
04-08-2017, 12:40 PM
Let's trade them Parker, before they realize, he isn't the "hybrid trade" guy the Magic dude was thinking bout, when putting this name on the board!

mudyez
04-08-2017, 12:44 PM
The only way Anderson is ahead of anybody is if he had a big head start... and whoever it is will catch up.

I see what you did there! :lol

Chris
04-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Good showing for Bertans last night. His stock definitely went up.