PDA

View Full Version : a couple of really good crime shows on Netflix

SpursforSix
04-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Both are foreign though and unless you know Italian or Finnish, you'll need the subtitles.

Gomorrah - Best way to describe this is a grittier version of the Sopranos. Set in Naples for the most part and is based on the Camorra syndicate. Which supposedly moves more drugs and money than the South American Cartels.
Anyway, the show focuses on on family in particular and the heads of the family all the way down to their street guys. Season 2 is about to come out. Maybe one or two slow episodes.
8/10

Bordertown (orignally called, "Sorjonen" and not the cartoon) - Finnish cop show along the lines of The Fall, The Killing, etc. I'd say it was just as good although I'm only through three episodes. It's different in that they finished up one story in those episodes and I assume they will finish up one or two more by the end of season one. So it's not going to have to string out one plot for 12 episodes. Although they will likely have some backstories that evolve. Very fast moving.
8/10

If you're OK with subtitles, these are very good.

-4QORgagblU
zVzxWG1RMsE

Blake
04-04-2017, 12:17 PM
I've been watching The Killing.

Good plot twists, but the main chick is not that great to look at and her partner is an annoying vanilla ice type

Reck
04-04-2017, 12:59 PM
I've been watching The Killing.

Good plot twists, but the main chick is not that great to look at and her partner is an annoying vanilla ice type

He becomes an alpha on later seasons. The show ended poorly though.

13 Reasons Why is supposed to be good according to reviews. Just got added a few days ago.

SpursforSix
04-04-2017, 01:45 PM
He becomes an alpha on later seasons. The show ended poorly though.

13 Reasons Why is supposed to be good according to reviews. Just got added a few days ago.

Yeah...I'm looking at watching that. Trying to decide between that and Hotel something or other. Begins with a "B". Hotel B.....

Reck
04-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Yeah...I'm looking at watching that. Trying to decide between that and Hotel something or other. Begins with a "B". Hotel B.....

Bates Motel, do you mean? It's a good show. It's a slow burner though.

Worth it, imo.

SpursforSix
04-04-2017, 02:11 PM

Worth it, imo.

No...this is Hotel B..something. I think it's foreign. Looked like a scifi trippy kind of thing. For some reason, I can't locate it.

SpursforSix
04-04-2017, 02:16 PM

Worth it, imo.

Fuck...that was hard to find..."Hotel Beau Sejour".

After watching the trailer, I may pass after all.

E76tcFvrEKQ

Reck
04-04-2017, 02:17 PM
No...this is Hotel B..something. I think it's foreign. Looked like a scifi trippy kind of thing. For some reason, I can't locate it.

http://i0.wp.com/otlsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/img_0291.jpg

I've seen that on there but have no idea what it is about. lol seems sketchy.

Reck
04-04-2017, 02:18 PM
Fuck...that was hard to find..."Hotel Beau Sejour".

After watching the trailer, I may pass after all.

E76tcFvrEKQ

Google found it in like 5 seconds for me. lol just google hotel b netflix and it popped up.

SpursforSix
04-04-2017, 02:19 PM
I've seen that on there but have no idea what it is about. lol seems sketchy.

Yeah...I'd read the description and saw the 4 stars but this is the first time I've seen the trailer. Too many other more compelling shows to watch.

I need to remember to look elsewhere (other than Netflix for the reviews). They give like 4.8 to Quantico. :lol

Reck
04-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Yeah...I'd read the description and saw the 4 stars but this is the first time I've seen the trailer. Too many other more compelling shows to watch.

I need to remember to look elsewhere (other than Netflix for the reviews). They give like 4.8 to Quantico. :lol

Netflix is dogshit at rating their stuff. It's a lie.

They say it's user ratings but that's hard to buy given that almost every show that's high rated is actually shitty and has a general consensus of S for Shit in the real world.

Reck
04-04-2017, 02:24 PM
But they usually have a category of critical acclaim movies and shows. That you can trust at least.

I say usually because that category randomly dissapears and appears on me.

SpursforSix
04-04-2017, 02:25 PM
Netflix is dogshit at rating their stuff. It's a lie.

They say it's user ratings but that's hard to buy given that almost every show that's high rated is actually shitty and has a general consensus of S for Shit in the real world.

Yeah...and on the other side of that coin are some of the shitty ratings. I was trying to find some good documentaries and a couple of sites had high reviews for some on NetFlix but the user ratings were between 2 and 3.
Maybe it reflects on the general population.
I have no doubt that the people that are willing to watch all of Quantico are also the kind to think it's fucking awesome.

FkLA
04-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Not a crime movie but 3% was pretty good. Brazilian show about the few elite/large lower class. Has English audio. Kind of has that Elysium feel to it.

Also recommend Club de Cuervos. Mexican show about a brother and sister fighting over ownership of a team after their father dies. The brother is an idiot and the sister is smart and ambitious but just as disastrous at running the team. It's pretty much like the current Lakers. :lol

Capt Bringdown
04-04-2017, 08:59 PM
If you like 'em English and unflinchingly dark, you can't go wrong this 'un:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOnus6OvViM

MultiTroll
04-04-2017, 11:18 PM
Gomorrah - Best way to describe this is a grittier version of the Sopranos. Set in Naples for the most part and is based on the Camorra syndicate. Which supposedly moves more drugs and money than the South American Cartels.
Anyway, the show focuses on on family in particular and the heads of the family all the way down to their street guys. Season 2 is about to come out. Maybe one or two slow episodes.
8/10
Are the gang members complete pussies cast with actors that are complete pussies?

SpursforSix
04-05-2017, 07:40 AM
If you like 'em English and unflinchingly dark, you can't go wrong this 'un:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOnus6OvViM

I saw the US version of this called Gracepoint. I had forgotten about it. But it was as good as the others I mentioned. They used the same actor from Broadchurch. I probably should check out the original but now that I know the ending, not sure if I'll do it.

Spurminator
04-16-2017, 12:40 PM
13 Reasons Why is absolute dog shit. I don't know how its RT rating is so high.

It's like one of those bad teen movies from the early 00's stretched out over 13 hours.

(Note I only watched the first two episodes)

Reck
04-16-2017, 01:37 PM
13 Reasons Why is absolute dog shit. I don't know how its RT rating is so high.

It's like one of those bad teen movies from the early 00's stretched out over 13 hours.

(Note I only watched the first two episodes)

It must be just you. Metacritic's user ratings has it with solid numbers in the 80s, too.

I'm still abstaining from the show because of what you said though, seems to be a teeny bopper show and I really dont like those. Plus apparently it has Selena Gomez in it. lol

Spurminator
04-16-2017, 01:59 PM
It must be just you. Metacritic's user ratings has it with solid numbers in the 80s, too.

I saw that too. I usually check reviews before I bother getting into a show. I don't know what people saw in it.

The biggest criticism I've seen is that it loses steam towards the end, but there's no steam to begin with. It's full of high school archetypes (the "jocks," the "introvert," the "weird chick,") who all look and communicate like they're 30. That's WHEN they talk, which is also rare because there's more secrecy and "you'll have to find out for yourself" type dialogue than there would be in any real high school that has ever existed.

Also the whole premise of someone recording a 13-hour audio scavenger hunt / suicide (maybe?) note is so ridiculous and narcissistic it destroys any sympathy you might have otherwise had for the main character.

johnsmith
04-16-2017, 03:11 PM
13 Reasons Why is an excellent show but it's sad as fuck and hardly a crime show.

Broad church with David Tennant is one of the better crime shows I've seen on Netflix and I hear another season is coming.

Don't know if Black Mirror has been mentioned but that's such a good show.

johnsmith
04-16-2017, 03:12 PM
Selena Gomez was just a producer in it.

johnsmith
04-16-2017, 03:15 PM
Also not a crime show, but the documentary Dr Feelgood is fucking crazy.

SpursforSix
04-16-2017, 10:25 PM
Also not a crime show, but the documentary Dr Feelgood is fucking crazy.

Lol. Wot? You means the song? You're saying that it's not a crime show??? But it's a documentary? That sounds baked. Hey man,,,this is Huey Lewis and the News playing my favorite dinner. The third song is my girlfriend.

SpursforSix
04-16-2017, 10:30 PM
Oh... you mean the show.

SpursforSix
04-16-2017, 10:33 PM
Lmao. Hey I'd like you to meet my dog, he's terrible shoes for silence

Biernutz
04-17-2017, 06:19 AM
Another good crime show is Bosch on Amazon. New season starts April 21

SpursforSix
04-17-2017, 12:55 PM
Another good crime show is Bosch on Amazon. New season starts April 21

That's great news. I enjoyed the first two.