PDA

View Full Version : Is the Spurs front office starting to suffer from brain drain backlash?

spursistan
04-05-2017, 10:04 PM
Their talent evaluation has been kinda meh in the last few years relative to what they were able to snag for cheap or from unfavorable draft positioning before....

Forbes, Ray Mccallum, Mulitinov etc....It seems like getting continuously raided out of top notch scouts/mid-level executives is starting to get a toll on our own performance in these areas..Thoughts?

daledondale
04-05-2017, 10:07 PM
You can't have a manu or parker every draft. And last drafts have been meh.

spursistan
04-05-2017, 10:08 PM
Shoud've added Simmons and Kyle..too..We/they were expecting much better development curve for both. ..

sananspursfan21
04-05-2017, 10:20 PM
Late draft picks. That's what they are. There's generally a reason why they're late draft picks or undrafted signees. The front office struck absolute GOLD with Parker and Ginobili. You do understand that all the other 29 teams have men who eat, sleep, and breathe scouting just like the Spurs do. They miss one every once in a blue moon but by and large, not a ton of these hidden gems slip through the cracks. The Spurs are just milking the heck out of some low-midlevel talent. It's pretty beautiful.

spursgu
04-05-2017, 11:14 PM
They're still good. The potential is there with Murray and Bertans. Its like you guys forget this team had to go through a tough stretch building their roster from 08-11 right before they picked up Kawhi.

SpursforSix
04-05-2017, 11:18 PM
:pop: go fuck yourself

BatManu20
04-06-2017, 12:02 AM
:pop: go fuck yourself

Lol

cjw
04-06-2017, 12:38 AM
This past draft class was horrible - several of the top performing rookies this year weren't even drafted in 2016 (Embiid, Saric, Hernangomez to name a few). To get Murray at 29 in such a bad draft is amazing.

Anderson was drafted 30th. Simmons was an open tryout player. Forbes was undrafted. They're doing the best they can with limited resources - both picks and cap space.

Hoops Czar
04-06-2017, 12:50 AM
This past draft class was horrible - several of the top performing rookies this year weren't even drafted in 2016 (Embiid, Saric, Hernangomez to name a few). To get Murray at 29 in such a bad draft is amazing.

Anderson was drafted 30th. Simmons was an open tryout player. Forbes was undrafted. They're doing the best they can with limited resources - both picks and cap space.

I'm not saying he won't be a good player, but based on what you've seen, what amazes you about Murray's game?

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-06-2017, 12:57 AM
Not like they've not made some mistakes but these are terrible examples for criticizing the FO - 2 bottom first round picks, 2 undrafted and 1 traded for with the 59th pick.

I'd say getting some 350 games worth out of this lot is actually a great job by the FO.

Uriel
04-06-2017, 01:00 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8qgzCLV0AAR7P6.jpg:large

Chinook
04-06-2017, 06:47 AM
Don't overlook that those guys going elsewhere means that the league in general is getting more used to how the Spurs scout. So even if SA isn't getting worse absolutely, they could be getting worse relatively due to the league getting better. A similar thing has happened to the Ravens after years of teams taking the guys under Ozzie.

duncan2k5
04-06-2017, 09:28 AM
Nah...Murray is a steal...dude will be a star...Bertrans and Simmons were also great pick ups...it is Pop who doesn't do well with evaluating talent...no reason Murray, Bertrans, and Simmons shouldn't have been regular rotation players throughout the season...

BillMc
04-06-2017, 10:16 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8qgzCLV0AAR7P6.jpg:large

Bonner - a guy with millions of dollars, a smoking hot wife (whom Tony never slept with), and got to spend a decade with the best Spurs seats you can find, including playoffs, for free.

No wonder he's happy.

sasaint
04-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Bonner - a guy with millions of dollars, a smoking hot wife (whom Tony never slept with), and got to spend a decade with the best Spurs seats you can find, including playoffs, for free.

No wonder he's happy.

HaHa! :tu But not "for free," He got PAID to do that!

hater
04-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Lol if Spurs front office is suffering brain drain, what is the rest of the NBA suffering from? Massive total brain AIDS?

Dingle Barry
04-06-2017, 06:06 PM

No wonder he's happy.

Quite the assumption there about Mrs. Bonner.

SpursforSix
04-06-2017, 06:18 PM
Quite the assumption there about Mrs. Bonner.

:pop: Tony...you need to share the ball more.
Tony: got it Pop. I'll share the balls.
:pop: Doh!

coachmac87
04-06-2017, 06:48 PM
Nah...Murray is a steal...dude will be a star...Bertrans and Simmons were also great pick ups...it is Pop who doesn't do well with evaluating talent...no reason Murray, Bertrans, and Simmons shouldn't have been regular rotation players throughout the season...

Give me the game rotation you're speaking of with Murray, Bertans and Simmons

CGD
04-06-2017, 08:36 PM
I'd say the focus has shifted to the Dleague. The secret is WAY out when it comes to Euro stashes. People forget that part of the LMA plan involved stashing the first that year, and multinov was the guy (sure I might have tried to trade down, but whatever).

Wasn't Ray McCallum picked 58th?

spursistan
04-06-2017, 10:39 PM

You want the non-homer take on that? we really don't know yet..

You want to talk about the flashes-- 24pts and 12 pts vs the Cavs etc..-- but so was Dejuan Blair's 20/20 game against Ibaka and the Thunder. They guarantee nothing..

I would rather have had Murray contributing a consistent 7pts/4ast right away than blowup in couple or three games during the season (not being on the scouting report most certainly helped).He got trotted out early in the season and it was ugly..

ceperez
04-07-2017, 03:14 AM
Spurs have done well enough in finding diamonds in the rough.

But, they missed out by not picking Gobert or Butler. Gobert could have been had on an exchange for cash. Butler could have picked up if Spurs decided not to fill in a PG spot for priority. I remember those drafts, and folks were expecting these 2 to be picked up by the Spurs.

Thomas82
04-07-2017, 03:39 PM
Spurs have done well enough in finding diamonds in the rough.

But, they missed out by not picking Gobert or Butler. Gobert could have been had on an exchange for cash. Butler could have picked up if Spurs decided not to fill in a PG spot for priority. I remember those drafts, and folks were expecting these 2 to be picked up by the Spurs.

You mean we could have had Gobert? He was picked 1 spot ahead of us

duncan2k5
04-08-2017, 01:41 PM
You want the non-homer take on that? we really don't know yet..

You want to talk about the flashes-- 24pts and 12 pts vs the Cavs etc..-- but so was Dejuan Blair's 20/20 game against Ibaka and the Thunder. They guarantee nothing..

I would rather have had Murray contributing a consistent 7pts/4ast right away than blowup in couple or three games during the season (not being on the scouting report most certainly helped).He got trotted out early in the season and it was ugly..

Not any uglier than tony Parker's outings...difference is Parker is spent...Murray has star level upside...of course you will get inconsistent results if you are giving him inconsistent minutes...to ask otherwise is being unfair to him...the guy is clearly the best pg in the team as a rookie...same as tony parker was as a rookie...difference is tony wasn't taking the place of a championship winning pg that had an ego and was there for almost 20 years...I guarantee if Murrays minutes were switched with parker this season, we would be a much better team...scouting reports go both ways...the more he plays, the more he learns about his team and other teams too...how well do scouting reports work against Chris Paul? Talent always trumps scouting...and this kid has talent for days

duncan2k5
04-08-2017, 01:45 PM
Give me the game rotation you're speaking of with Murray, Bertans and Simmons

Play Murray with manu and mills...both mills and many can play off guard...Simmons, mills, and manu many will have to play about 4 minutes less each...give or take more minutes from many due to age...

TD 21
04-08-2017, 06:43 PM
It's a combination of what you and Chinook said, plus plain old luck. You're not going to consistently nail any set of moves, especially that of those on the fringes. They had a great run with it a few years back and now they've regressed to the mean.

Shoud've added Simmons and Kyle..too..We/they were expecting much better development curve for both. ..

Why? I'm not surprised with either, especially Simmons, who had no pedigree whatsoever. Granted, they had earned the benefit of the doubt, but if anyone else had plucked some no name from obscurity, there would have been virtually no expectations.