PDA

View Full Version : If you are trying to tank against the Spurs to end the season be careful

$pursDynasty
04-06-2017, 09:18 AM
It isn't as easy as it looks. The Lakers thought it would be easy, play hard against a measuring stick franchise, gain some confidence and rely on the fact that in the end you aren't good enough and you lose. But you win because you are tanking for lottery position. The Spur's starters started slowly recently but the bench has been near catatonic as of late, yet having 'successfully' letting a 26 point lead in the 2nd be whittled down to 12 L. Walton was feeling good. Even if the cream didn't rise to the top, it would be easy enough as a last result to shave enough points to insure a loss. To quote MVParker, Au contraire mon frere. Who knew Pop would basically shut it down for the entire 2nd half only allowing Tony, Pau and Lee see any significant playing time in the 2nd half. Luke Walton didn't even play B.Ingram much in the 2nd half trying to get the loss (win) but couldn't do it. I was laughing watching this abysmal game thinking, Walton is going to have to either play with no guards or only send 3 men out to play if he wants this loss (win) because the lineup Pop was sending out there was NOT going to win this game.

As funny as it was it was kind of sad that our dregs couldn't win a game that the opposition didn't want to win either. It seem like Pop was forcing Simmons to be more aggressive with his shot because there was no one on the court to defer to (Forbes?, Kyle?, Dedmon?, DLee?). If other coaches are thinking, "that's all right we just won't ever get up by 26 points so this won't happen to us". :nopeLook out Pop has one card he has yet to play...J. Anthony. It is a little disappointing that our dregs cannot defeat the Laker's dregs however.

kaji157
04-06-2017, 09:20 AM
Yes, Simmons and Forbes are the new Kyles.

duncan2k5
04-06-2017, 09:22 AM
Forbes needs to not see any PT during significant games...never seen a supposed shooter that is afraid to shoot...

Seventyniner
04-06-2017, 09:28 AM
I thought the Spurs would win because they didn't care while the Lakers wanted to lose. I didn't anticipate the Spurs bench playing this bad though.

Would have been a perfect game to rest Tony and give Murray 32 min, if only he were healthy.

MultiTroll
04-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Lakers needed a guy like Kirby last night.

$pursDynasty
04-06-2017, 10:07 AM
Forbes needs to not see any PT during significant games...never seen a supposed shooter that is afraid to shoot...
even the people that hated on Gary would have to prefer him to this mess(Forbes).

SAGirl
04-06-2017, 10:54 AM
Pop basically played mostly 5 guys non stop for the last 24 minutes with only some vets sprinkled in. They were very tired at the end therefore unable to get stops.

Frankly Forbes sunked the team all on his own but looking at his stats, Patty didn't shoot that much better than Forbes did either and Bertans was 4-10 from 3 with a huge part of those misses being accountable for the 26 pt lead the Lakers were spotted to start.

It it was a game where the veterans didn't start it well (tired from OT the night b4) and it was too much to expect that Pops lineups with just a 2-3 legit role players mind you were going to be able to swing the game back. If Forbes hadn't bricked so muc, maybe, or if they had enough energy to actually play defense at the end. A bad result from jumpshots that miss are the long rebounds leading to run outs in transition. The last 3 minutes guys looked tired and Pop finshed that game without a PG. it's actually surprising they managed to get good shots still etc.

Basically nothing to see here but CIA Pop sticking it to the Lakers tankathon. They should have dealt for Bryn Forbes instead of Corey Brewer. They'd be right where they want.

SpursforSix
04-06-2017, 11:14 AM
:pop: who cares. I'm wealthy.

hater
04-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Beratans is a joke on D

Dude gets completely obliterated by any scrub out there

Sad he will not see any PT in the playoffs save an injury

$pursDynasty
04-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Hater at least he is a threat on offense, at one point they had Forbes, Simmons, Kyle, Dedmon and Lee on the court and I was thinking, how the heck are the Spurs going to score? Davis can at least pop a 3.

sasaint
04-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Hater at least he is a threat on offense, at one point they had Forbes, Simmons, Kyle, Dedmon and Lee on the court and I was thinking, how the heck are the Spurs going to score? Davis can at least pop a 3.

BUT Kyle can pop a finger.

jyra
04-06-2017, 11:35 AM

http://i.imgur.com/CV33CfI.png

sasaint
04-06-2017, 11:36 AM
I was traveling and missed the game. Pop was indulging a vendetta against the Lakers for a rivalry beyond its expiration date - or something personal against Walton?

$pursDynasty
04-06-2017, 11:51 AM
I was traveling and missed the game. Pop was indulging a vendetta against the Lakers for a rivalry beyond its expiration date - or something personal against Walton?
Pop should have sent Walton a 'ransom' note, either tell me the Dubs mindset when it comes to the Spurs (likes fears and dislikes) or you are winning this game.

sasaint
04-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Pop should have sent Walton a 'ransom' note, either tell me the Dubs mindset when it comes to the Spurs (likes fears and dislikes) or you are winning this game.

:lol Great call! :tu

TampaDude
04-06-2017, 11:59 AM

:lol

SAGirl
04-06-2017, 12:21 PM
Nah the starters didn't have energy for this game, and came out mostly flat when they could have absolutely dominated that Lakers team. Lamarcus didn't have a good game shooting and Patty was something like 1-6 or 1-7 from 3. That just tells you this was tough for the role players to overcome. They played the entire game trying to come back from behind. That's exhausting, specially when Pop shortened the rotation and played 3 guys almost the entire second half with only some veterans sprinkled in. Kawhi stood out in the 1st half but that was it.

Tony and Pau at different times breathed some competitive nature to the game in the second half but it was going to be up to Simmons, Kyle, Bertans and Forbes to do anything about the game bc the were the only ones playin in the 4th Q with Deadman amd just a few minutes of Lee, who has been ofc offensively.

Luke Walton kept benching guys: Ingram bc he was playing too well in only 10 minutes played and Clarkson was also benched after he collided with someone. Walton played MWP and we were joking he was about to sub himself and Magic in bc he wanted to lose so badly. It was actually hilarious from that aspect.

I will say this, the bench came in shooting too many jumpshots in the first half and missing (Forbes and Bertans the main culprits, as I don't think they made any shots until the second half). I already mentioned Patty had a bad night shooting. They were scoreless for a long while save a Kyle reverse layup in a pass from Pau and oh... Davis had a transition dunk from a pass by Kawhi.

I think Simmons and Kyle had decent games for them, nothing to write about or praise but not terrible. Both shot the 3 well and actually carried the Spurs for a little bit in the 4th Q. They started to look tired in the 4th bc Pop played them nonstop the 2nd half subbing them out and back in within a minute or so and rotated them from PG to SG to SF at different times.

It was a funny game bc it was so awful actually lol.

Forbes actually stands out as the worst player bc it wasn't just that he was off, he couldn't defend Ennis who lit him up and I would not be surprised if that was the highlight of Ennis career. So it's the kind of game that Forbes just didn't look like an NBA player.

BD24
04-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Pop basically played mostly 5 guys non stop for the last 24 minutes with only some vets sprinkled in. They were very tired at the end therefore unable to get stops.

Frankly Forbes sunked the team all on his own but looking at his stats, Patty didn't shoot that much better than Forbes did either and Bertans was 4-10 from 3 with a huge part of those misses being accountable for the 26 pt lead the Lakers were spotted to start.

It it was a game where the veterans didn't start it well (tired from OT the night b4) and it was too much to expect that Pops lineups with just a 2-3 legit role players mind you were going to be able to swing the game back. If Forbes hadn't bricked so muc, maybe, or if they had enough energy to actually play defense at the end. A bad result from jumpshots that miss are the long rebounds leading to run outs in transition. The last 3 minutes guys looked tired and Pop finshed that game without a PG. it's actually surprising they managed to get good shots still etc.

Basically nothing to see here but CIA Pop sticking it to the Lakers tankathon. They should have dealt for Bryn Forbes instead of Corey Brewer. They'd be right where they want.
Did u even watch the game? Bertans shot a bunch of threes in the last minute trying to bring us back. Like at least 4 I imagine

SAGirl
04-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Did u even watch the game? Bertans shot a bunch of threes in the last minute trying to bring us back. Like at least 4 I imagine
Yes I watched the game.
He made 3 I think (or 2 I can be wrong) in the 4th Q. He only had 4 threes made overall though from 10 attempts and most of those misses were in the 1st half when the bench got in a hole. He wasn't the only one shooting blanks in that first half though.

james evans
04-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Yes, Simmons and Forbes are the new Kyles.
simmons imo is better than Green. Simmons at least knows how to put the ball on the floor and take it to the basket. When Green drives, he's gonna either turn the ball over or pass it to Aldridge who will be standing beside him

MultiTroll
04-06-2017, 12:53 PM
but b4 going out with a contusion Manu wasn't having a good game either and I already mentioned Patty had a bad night shooting. They were scoreless for a long while save a Kyle reverse layup in a pass from Pau and oh... Davis had a transition dunk from a pass by Kawhi.
:wow
Manu DNP

SAGirl
04-06-2017, 12:59 PM
These Tyler Ennis highlights tell you all there is to know. He got going with Tony guarding him and then feasted on Forbes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2UUvAz43Cjs
And yes it was a career night for him. The are a few snippets included of Brandon Ingram scoring on bad Spurs transition defense... I would prefer to think team was tired and didn't bring the juice for this one.

SAGirl
04-06-2017, 01:00 PM
Manu DNP
Edit... Manu missed this game. You were right.

MultiTroll
04-06-2017, 01:06 PM
He did play and missed two shots.

He ran into someone going to the basket and was hit in the knee or thigh and sat down the rest of the game.
Surely you would accept my money and take this in the form of a wager?

SAGirl
04-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Surely you would accept my money and take this in the form of a wager?
I don't gamble .. lol
I stand corrected he got hit in the prior game I think. Two games B2B got me messed up.

MultiTroll
04-06-2017, 01:12 PM
I don't gamble .. lol
I stand close corrected he got hit in the prior game I think. Two games B2B got me messed up.
Are you talking about Ginobili vs Memphis or vs Lakers? :spin

SAGirl
04-06-2017, 01:14 PM
Are you talking about Ginobili vs Memphis or vs Lakers? :spin
All of this was vs Lakers except I remembered Ginobili getting hit in the thigh and forgot it was in the prior game. You were right about that. :toast So yea Ginobili missed a couple of shots and got hit in the leg but it as in the prior game.

rjv
04-06-2017, 01:23 PM
Yes, Simmons and Forbes are the new Kyles. i'm thinking kyle should have his nickname altered to "super slow-mo".

sasaint
04-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Nah the starters didn't have energy for this game, and came out mostly flat when they could have absolutely dominated that Lakers team. Lamarcus didn't have a good game shooting and Patty was something like 1-6 or 1-7 from 3. That just tells you this was tough for the role players to overcome. They played the entire game trying to come back from behind. That's exhausting, specially when Pop shortened the rotation and played 3 guys almost the entire second half with only some veterans sprinkled in. Kawhi stood out in the 1st half but that was it.

Tony and Pau at different times breathed some competitive nature to the game in the second half but it was going to be up to Simmons, Kyle, Bertans and Forbes to do anything about the game bc the were the only ones playin in the 4th Q with Deadman amd just a few minutes of Lee, who has been ofc offensively.

Luke Walton kept benching guys: Ingram bc he was playing too well in only 10 minutes played and Clarkson was also benched after he collided with someone. Walton played MWP and we were joking he was about to sub himself and Magic in bc he wanted to lose so badly. It was actually hilarious from that aspect.

I will say this, the bench came in shooting too many jumpshots in the first half and missing (Forbes and Bertans the main culprits, as I don't think they made any shots until the second half). I already mentioned Patty had a bad night shooting. They were scoreless for a long while save a Kyle reverse layup in a pass from Pau and oh... Davis had a transition dunk from a pass by Kawhi.

I think Simmons and Kyle had decent games for them, nothing to write about or praise but not terrible. Both shot the 3 well and actually carried the Spurs for a little bit in the 4th Q. They started to look tired in the 4th bc Pop played them nonstop the 2nd half subbing them out and back in within a minute or so and rotated them from PG to SG to SF at different times.

It was a funny game bc it was so awful actually lol.

Forbes actually stands out as the worst player bc it wasn't just that he was off, he couldn't defend Ennis who lit him up and I would not be surprised if that was the highlight of Ennis career. So it's the kind of game that Forbes just didn't look like an NBA player.

Wow! Thanks for write-up. Makes me feel like I was there - probably better than! Despite some comments I read in the last game thread, I thought Forbes played very good D for a long stretch in the late 3rd, as I recall. Sorry to hear that he wasn't able to build on it. :toast

SAGirl
04-06-2017, 08:31 PM
Wow! Thanks for write-up. Makes me feel like I was there - probably better than! Despite some comments I read in the last game thread, I thought Forbes played very good D for a long stretch in the late 3rd, as I recall. Sorry to hear that he wasn't able to build on it. :toast
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/04/06/the-lakers-went-to-extreme-lengths-to-lose-a-game-on-purpose-and/22029109/
Lakers perspective. They tanked hard. Walton kept benching guys but Pop had the tank commander Bryn
Its funny how many guys Walton kept benching.

sasaint
04-06-2017, 08:46 PM
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/04/06/the-lakers-went-to-extreme-lengths-to-lose-a-game-on-purpose-and/22029109/
Lakers perspective. They tanked hard. Walton kept benching guys but Pop had the tank commander Bryn

The Lakers' final four opponents are Sactown, Minny, NO, and GS. Not sure how many they must lose to retain their pick, and I don't know if any of those teams have any incentive to throw their game against LAL. Not really sure what incentive Pop had except to screw the Lakers. One thing - I bet Pop has made a friend for life in Luke Walton. :wow

SAGirl
04-06-2017, 10:13 PM
The Lakers' final four opponents are Sactown, Minny, NO, and GS. Not sure how many they must lose to retain their pick, and I don't know if any of those teams have any incentive to throw their game against LAL. Not really sure what incentive Pop had except to screw the Lakers. One thing - I bet Pop has made a friend for life in Luke Walton. :wow
I wasn't aware previously but that article does a good job of succinctly explaining that it's not just this pick this season they forfeit if they don't get a top 3 pick but due to previous deals and rules in place, they would forfeit the 2019 pick too. Lakers must lose at all cost. They are in a worse situation than the Suns for example in terms of their pick situation.

BD24
04-06-2017, 10:45 PM
Manu DNP
but she watched the game :lol

SpursforSix
04-06-2017, 10:48 PM

:pop: no one can lose more winnable games than me

BD24
04-06-2017, 10:51 PM
Yes I watched the game.
He made 3 I think (or 2 I can be wrong) in the 4th Q. He only had 4 threes made overall though from 10 attempts and most of those misses were in the 1st half when the bench got in a hole. He wasn't the only one shooting blanks in that first half though.
4 for 10 is 40% shooting from 3. I will take that any night. 7 of his attempts came in the 4th and 4 of those in the last 3 minutes. He missed 2 threes in the first. Both were fairly good looks, I was at the game.

Please refrain from spouting nonsense when you clearly didn't watch the game. Thanks.

SAGirl
04-06-2017, 10:53 PM
4 for 10 is 40% shooting from 3. I will take that any night. 7 of his attempts came in the 4th and 4 of those in the last 3 minutes. He missed 2 threes in the first. Both were fairly good looks, I was at the game.

Please refrain from spouting nonsense when you clearly didn't watch the game. Thanks.
Ok dude. I did watch the game. Most of his makes save 1 were to close the game! I wasn't attacking your fanboy... I do think to take 10 3s in a game is way too many. Spurs shot like 32 threes in that game at a very low rate leading to bad runouts and transition defense... I wasn't singling him out, but it was a problem him in the first half, Patty and FOrbes kept bombimg bricks from long range so chillax or not, whatever.

Dex
04-06-2017, 11:07 PM
https://i.redd.it/620g08cmawpy.jpg

sasaint
04-06-2017, 11:09 PM
I wasn't aware previously but that article does a good job of succinctly explaining that it's not just this pick this season they forfeit if they don't get a top 3 pick but due to previous deals and rules in place, they would forfeit the 2019 pick too. Lakers must lose at all cost. They are in a worse situation than the Suns for example in terms of their pick situation.

Yeah, I took note of that. Heck, I'm like Pop about the Lakers - kick 'em while they're down!

BD24
04-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Ok dude. I did watch the game. Most of his makes save 1 were to close the game! I wasn't attacking your fanboy... I do think to take 10 3s in a game is way too many. Spurs shot like 32 threes in that game at a very low rate leading to bad runouts and transition defense... I wasn't singling him out, but it was a problem him in the first half, Patty and FOrbes kept bombimg bricks from long range so chillax or not, whatever.
Pretending missing two threes that were quality shots is a problem.
Pretending 40% from three is bad.
Trying to cover up the fact you didn't watch the game
Probably stuffin your fat face with food instead of watching.

YGWHI
04-07-2017, 06:43 PM
These Tyler Ennis highlights tell you all there is to know. He got going with Tony guarding him and then feasted on Forbes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2UUvAz43Cjs.
And yes it was a career night for him.

That was Parker's Langston-Galloway-career-high award in last three seasons. It's so good to look Parker helping to improve young guards in the league. A true positive leader who wants to help people :tu

SAGirl
04-07-2017, 07:46 PM
That was Parker's Langston-Galloway-career-high award in last three seasons. It's so good to look Parker helping to improve young guards in the league. A true positive leader who wants to help people :tu
:lol