PDA

View Full Version : When N.B.A. Coaches Rest Their Stars, the Owners Get Restless

boutons_deux
04-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Commissioner Adam Silver considers it the most important issue for the N.B.A. (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/national_basketball_association/index.html?inline=nyt-org) right now: star players missing games for the sole purpose of rest.

With more coaches sitting players in recent weeks as they prepare their teams for the long haul of the postseason, much to the chagrin of fans and the N.B.A.’s broadcast partners, the issue was a main topic of conversation among the league’s owners at their annual meetings in New York this week.

Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich, who popularized the practice of resting players, recently defended the approach, suggesting that he had preserved some of his players’ careers.

“We have definitely added years to people,” Popovich told reporters this month.

“So it’s a trade-off. You want to see this guy in this one game? Or do you want to see him for three more years?”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/sports/basketball/nba-stars-rest-guidelines.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

apalisoc_9
04-08-2017, 09:50 AM
BS. What proof does pop have? Kareem, Jordan etc were playing a lot minutes with less rest and they played in their 40s

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-08-2017, 05:40 PM
BS. What proof does pop have? Kareem, Jordan etc were playing a lot minutes with less rest and they played in their 40s
It just works that way. Don't question me or I'll get snarky. :pop:

cd021
04-08-2017, 08:24 PM

Jordan retired at 29 and took like a year and a half off. He played 27 games from 93-95 (regular season and playoffs)

He retired again for 3 years before coming back and playing only 60 games that season (01-02) and 82 in his final season.

People seriously need to stop bringing him up to try and go against the rest movement.

Just because sports medicine wasn't as advanced back then doesn't mean that players should be playing 38 minutes over 82 now. Leonard playing 33 mpg at 25 could extend his career and the quality of his play instead of playing him 40 mpg now.

apalisoc_9
04-08-2017, 08:26 PM
Where is the proof that Pop extended anyones years by 3....?

Seventyniner
04-08-2017, 08:31 PM
Where is the proof that Pop extended anyones years by 3....?

I think Manu is the best proof. Still playing at 39 even with all the international play. Duncan's knees likely wouldn't have let him play much past 37 without the rest too.

Parker is a counterexample, breaking down at 35 even with rest and fewer minutes.

apalisoc_9
04-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Vince Carter etc....so many counter proofs..

Parker isn't lookong too good either

thiste
04-08-2017, 08:49 PM
That's something football coaches have historically practiced in Europe, and nobody ever complained. Sometimes you get the bench players, shit happens. Get over it.

phxspurfan
04-08-2017, 09:17 PM
I think Manu is the best proof. Still playing at 39 even with all the international play. Duncan's knees likely wouldn't have let him play much past 37 without the rest too.

Parker is a counterexample, breaking down at 35 even with rest and fewer minutes.

Parker had been playing pro ball in Europe before the NBA though. Since his early teens

apalisoc_9
04-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Jamal Crawford...

james evans
04-09-2017, 01:36 PM
What's the point of resting players if you're not constantly winning titles to show for it. Sound like selfishness from a coach to me. Resting players to extend their career so that they can continue to be regular season threats and keep your job. We play the game to win titles, not regular season victories.

exstatic
04-09-2017, 02:42 PM

Parker literally played in every WC qual and Olympic qual during his career. He also started in the NBA at 19, while Tim started at 21 and Manu at 25.

apalisoc_9
04-09-2017, 02:57 PM
What's the point of resting players if you're not constantly winning titles to show for it. Sound like selfishness from a coach to me. Resting players to extend their career so that they can continue to be regular season threats and keep your job. We play the game to win titles, not regular season victories.

Spurtacular
04-09-2017, 04:04 PM

Parker is not a counter example. Rest does not prevent the inevitable loss of speed at post 32 years of age.

GSH
04-09-2017, 04:22 PM

What proof? You mean like, other than medical science? Do a Google search on "tendinosis" (what Tim had) and "overuse injury".

So you tried to pick two exceptions as your examples? The fact is, Kareem's minutes dropped later in his career, pretty much like Duncan's. He played a couple more minutes per game that Tim did in his last 5-6 seasons, but not a lot more. Jordan played until he was 39, and he took off 4 years to get some baseball cards made. Even at that, those two guys are exceptional. Kobe played heavy minutes - his body totally wore out, and he was done at about 34 (even though he played until he was 37).

I don't know whether it's the best thing for the team to rest guys, but there's no doubt that it extended some careers. And at the end, Tim was still fit enough to be a very good player - it was his knees that were shot, from tendinosis, which is nothing more than an over-use injury that he suffered earlier in his career that caused permanent damage.

spurraider21
04-09-2017, 04:25 PM
apa anybody can list exceptions to the norm... its like naming a bunch of chain smokers who lived to 90 to show "see its not unhealthy!"

you'd need to have some statistical analysis to show either way. i don't have the answer, but i dont think anybody here does outside of their speculation

8FOR!3
04-09-2017, 04:32 PM
Idk if it keeps players from being washed up as early, I don't necessarily think it does. But I do think it can prevent some major injuries that overworking the athletes can cause. So in that case I don't necessarily mind it.