PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Clemson-ex hears boos from crowd, Popovich's praise

Kori Ellis
10-13-2005, 01:46 AM
Clemson-ex hears boos from crowd, Popovich's praise
Web Posted: 10/13/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA101305.04C.SpursNotebook.17caca2a.html

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Sharrod Ford had his own cheering section at Wednesday's game. As well as a few hecklers.

After playing at Clemson for four years, Ford is one of five players with non-guaranteed contracts trying to make the Spurs roster. While a couple of courtside fans booed Ford when he entered the game in the second quarter — the exhibition was played at the University of South Carolina, Clemson's rival — Spurs coach Gregg Popovich likes what he's seen from the 6-foot-9 forward.

"He's done a really good job," Popovich said. "He's shown us he does have NBA talent. At this point he's just trying to figure out a new system, do what's asked of him and still show his wares, so to speak."

Ford averaged 14.9 points, 8.2 rebounds and 2.1 blocks during his senior season at Clemson. Though he looked as good as any of the Spurs' training-camp invitees Monday in Miami, the team has plenty of depth at the power forward position.

Stoudemire reaction: While the Spurs had heard Amare Stoudemire was having knee trouble, they were as surprised as anyone to hear the Phoenix Suns forward will miss at least the next four months.

"I feel real badly for him and for his team," Popovich said. "I hope the doctors are just being real cautious in saying it's going to be four months. I hope he gets back sooner than that because they have a great team and he's a big part of it.

"You hate to see a guy like that sitting on the sidelines because he's so exciting."

Stoudemire had micro-fracture surgery on his knee this week.

Stoudemire averaged 38.7 points against the Spurs in four regular-season games last year — the most anyone has ever averaged against the team.

ChumpDumper
10-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Ford's averages through three games:

18 MIN
.529 FG
9 PTS
4.66 REB
1.33 BLK
1.67 PF

The way he was being used tonight in midcourt traps makes me start to think he could be a Bo Outlaw-type guy with a post game.