PDA

View Full Version : How does the Spurs React on the inevitable Kawhi Overplay against Golden State?

apalisoc_9
04-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Just rewatced the game tying layup by Aldridge against the Grizz. Kawhi was overplayed the whole 4th quarter..and the that play was a perfect example.

Which made me go back to the warriors game and realize the Dubs did the same thing in late quarter situations and the entirety lf the 4th...

In other words, Kawhi isnt going to will this team to a win by scoring 40...rather by creating oppoetunities for others when the inevtiable comes.

How does pop react with this? What's the best lineup in this inevitable situation?

MaNu4Tres
04-09-2017, 11:46 PM
Just rewatced the game tying layup by Aldridge against the Grizz. Kawhi was overplayed the whole 4th quarter..and the that play was a perfect example.

Which made me go back to the warriors game and realize the Dubs did the same thing in late quarter situations and the entirety lf the 4th...

In other words, Kawhi isnt going to will this team to a win by scoring 40...rather by creating oppoetunities for others when the inevtiable comes.

How does pop react with this? What's the best lineup in this inevitable situation?

Bertans needs to see minutes. He's arguably one of the most versatile and best offensive players on the roster, all while not being a defensive liability. It boggles my fucking mind how Pop refuses to play him at the three when he clearly has the skill set to and when he's played the SF majority of his time overseas. No one on the team outside of Danny and Patty commands the attention and hard close outs Bertans garners and at the same time, Bertans can respond to those hard close outs better than Mills and Green with his drive and dish game.

offset formation
04-09-2017, 11:46 PM
How DO the Spurs...

English motherfucker...speak it.

gambit1990
04-10-2017, 12:09 AM
Bertans needs to see minutes. He's arguably one of the most versatile and best offensive players on the roster, all while not being a defensive liability. It boggles my fucking mind how Pop refuses to play him at the three when he clearly has the skill set to and when he's played the SF majority of his time overseas. No one on the team outside of Danny and Patty commands the attention and hard close outs Bertans garners and at the same time, Bertans can respond to those hard close outs better than Mills and Green with his drive and dish game.

kaji157
04-10-2017, 06:27 AM

If that is the case we are fucked, because "creating opportunities for others" is the worst aspect of Kawhis game.

LkrFan
04-10-2017, 07:13 AM
How DO the Spurs...

English motherfucker...speak it.

:lol

Chinook
04-10-2017, 07:29 AM
If the Spurs get to GS, they will do so with more than just Kawhi playing well. I don't think it will be an issue. If LMA is in the zone similar to the WCSF last year, you don't have to worry about GS overhelping on Leonard.

coachmac87
04-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Either go small or play more Gasol and maybe Lee...

This "trap" or hard double on Kawhi on PNR or anytime where he attack is when this team misses Diaw most.

Diaw was a triple threat (Shoot, Drive, Pass) in that position which is mostly 4 on 3 and would take advantage of that all the time. Gasol offers something similar but can't create off the dribble meanwhile Lee can't shoot. Dedmon is in no mans land and LMA will only shoot with no threat to attack etc.

Another option would to go small and maybe play somebody like Anderson etc. just have the ability of triple threat which could make the defense scramble..

But like I said before...Diaw was perfect when it came to teams trying this defense

MaNu4Tres
04-10-2017, 08:00 AM
Either go small or play more Gasol and maybe Lee...

This "trap" or hard double on Kawhi on PNR or anytime where he attack is when this team misses Diaw most.

Diaw was a triple threat (Shoot, Drive, Pass) in that position which is mostly 4 on 3 and would take advantage of that all the time. Gasol offers something similar but can't create off the dribble meanwhile Lee can't shoot. Dedmon is in no mans land and LMA will only shoot with no threat to attack etc.

Another option would to go small and maybe play somebody like Anderson etc. just have the ability of triple threat which could make the defense scramble..

But like I said before...Diaw was perfect when it came to teams trying this defense

Splitter and Duncan were great at it too. It wasn't just Diaw. All had great awareness, were decisive and great passers after the catch in the PnR at around the FT line. Spurs don't have the same personnel for this spot as Aldridge and Dedmon are pretty damn bad at this aspect.

coachmac87
04-10-2017, 08:23 AM
Splitter and Duncan were great at it too. It wasn't just Diaw. All had great awareness, were decisive and great passers after the catch in the PnR at around the FT line. Spurs don't have the same personnel for this spot as Aldridge and Dedmon are pretty damn bad at this aspect.

They were..but IMO they played off of Diaw. I can't stress enough how good Diaw was for the bench and the "beautiful game". I think both Duncan and Splitter were good and like you said were very decisive. But Diaw versatility in that position makes it hard to guard...pretty much like Draymond Geeen in GSW tbh

MaNu4Tres
04-10-2017, 08:36 AM
They were..but IMO they played off of Diaw. I can't stress enough how good Diaw was for the bench and the "beautiful game". I think both Duncan and Splitter were good and like you said were very decisive. But Diaw versatility in that position makes it hard to guard...pretty much like Draymond Geeen in GSW tbh

I didn't mean Duncan and Splitter were equal to Diaw in this perspective. I just said Duncan and Splitter were great at it too. They both were aggressive and in control making moves towards the rim in 4 on 3 opportunities -- where they were aware of the open man either in the weakside corner for the 3, or the open man in the dunker spot where they'd utilize a dump pass to the other big, or they opted for a running efficient jump hook if no defender committed to stop their aggression towards the rim.

I talked about this in multiple threads over the course of the past 2-3 years. I even mentioned this a week ago in another another thread.

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-10-2017, 07:27 PM