PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Lose Because Fathead Doesn't Have Enough Skills To Grab A Ball

Spurtacular
04-10-2017, 11:28 PM
One of the most frustrating players I can remember ever watching, tbh.

TheGreatYacht
04-10-2017, 11:32 PM
If there's a loose ball, the lazy sloth isn't going for it. It's been the case since he got here.

3 years and he still can't shoot or gain muscle.

cjw
04-10-2017, 11:35 PM
If there's a loose ball, the lazy sloth isn't going for it. It's been the case since he got here.

3 years and he still can't shoot or gain muscle.

You'd think his brain mass would help him overcome his physical limitations. But hardly.

TheGreatYacht
04-10-2017, 11:38 PM
You'd think his brain mass would help him overcome his physical limitations. But hardly.
If he moves that cranium too fast he loses balance, must be the only explanation tbh..

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/102010/1287507497_horse-plazying-with-big-ball.gif

Solid D
04-10-2017, 11:51 PM
Also overthrew his receiver with six seconds remaining.

He did make his FTts though

Spurtacular
04-11-2017, 12:08 AM
So lackadaisical with the game on the line. Hard to figure.

sasaint
04-11-2017, 12:33 AM
Also overthrew his receiver with six seconds remaining.

He did make his FTts though

Giveth and taketh away...Smh. Actually, execution aside, I thought that OB play was TURRIBLE. High risk, low reward. Very small margin for error. Just inbound the ball, hopefully take a second or two off the clock, and make a couple of free throws.

SAGirl
04-11-2017, 01:21 AM
How about the design of the play by coach Pop?
How about Simmons fumbling a pass that was well within his grasp?
How about Simmons terrible defense getting caught on a screen twice, how about Forbes bad shooting, getting lit up, fouling a 3 pt shooter, TO close to the end of the game? Etc. That wasn't on just one guy.
Oh well he's the scapegoat tonight. Hopefully a learning lesson for all respectively but in the grand scheme it doesn't matter.

DAF86
04-11-2017, 01:29 AM
How about Simmons terrible defense getting caught on a screen twice, how about Forbes bad shooting, getting lit up, fouling a 3 pt shooter, TO close to the end of the game? Etc. That wasn't on just one guy.
Oh well he's the scapegoat tonight. Hopefully a learning lesson for all respectively but in the grand scheme it doesn't matter.

Are you like the guy's mum or something?

I agree on some things though, the out of bounds play was more on Pop than Anderson. Not the design itself (Spurs needed to get past half court immediately or the half court clock would have expired), but the fact that he didn't call for a TO right after Portland scored to have the chance to inbound the ball at half court and don't allow for Portland to trap behind half court.

SAGirl
04-11-2017, 01:33 AM

I agree on some things though, the out of bounds play was more on Pop than Anderson. Not the design itself (Spurs needed to get past half court immediately or the half court clock would have expired), but the fact that he didn't call for a TO right after Portland scored to have the chance to inbound the ball at half court and don't allow for Portland to trap behind half court.
Not really. it just feels unfair to me his every mistake gets magnified while so many others messing up is overlooked. I couldn't care less really bc it doesn't matter in this particular game which is basically my reaction in general.

I have to get used to spurstalk overreaction and move on I guess. Lol

YGWHI
04-11-2017, 01:52 AM

Best Spurs clutch plays came from players decisions than designated plays this season. In Pau-LMA lob vs Grizz, Pau admitted that wasnt the called play.

The same with that Patty's 3's assisted by Manu in Houston.

Tough losses were on Pop. Vs Utah, Suns, Bucks, one of Grizz' games, Portland, Lakers...this one.

We can criticize players but we shouldnt ignore that this isnt best Pop' coaching season.

DeRozan m8
04-11-2017, 02:42 AM
Not really. it just feels unfair to me his every mistake gets magnified while so many others messing up is overlooked. I couldn't care less really bc it doesn't matter in this particular game which is basically my reaction in general.

The reason his are magnified is because the other guys balance the bad with some good.

Fathead doesn't. He balances the bad with nothing.

Still.

After 3 years.

The amount of loose balls I've seen him watch, flat footed, is just ridiculous.

Get this guy off the team already tbh

Fireball
04-11-2017, 04:12 AM
Simmons needs to catch that long inbound pass ... end of story

Brazil
04-11-2017, 07:02 AM

How about Kyle Anderson sucks ?

unleashbaynes
04-11-2017, 07:50 AM
I hate anderson. Why the fuck does Pop let this scrub play?

TheGreatYacht
04-11-2017, 08:40 AM
How about Kyle Anderson sucks ?
:lol

Imagine blaming Simmons, the most athletic guy on the team, for not being able to catch that TERRIBLE PASS with only his finger tips.
lmfao imagine playing near 30 minutes and Simmons outscores you in 1 quarter

ElNono
04-11-2017, 08:43 AM

Imagine blaming Simmons, the most athletic guy on the team, for not being able to catch that TERRIBLE PASS with only his finger tips.

You're supposed to be high on this guy, tbh, this is PATFO's 3 year pet project... those guys are never wrong according to Jeff McDonald...

If this guy would be playing for the Orlando Magic, we would be laughing out loud and calling him a piece of unadultered shit...

TheGreatYacht
04-11-2017, 09:15 AM
You're supposed to be high on this guy, tbh, this is PATFO's 3 year pet project... those guys are never wrong according to Jeff McDonald...

If this guy would be playing for the Orlando Magic, we would be laughing out loud and calling him a piece of unadultered shit...
Bring Manu back if that's what it takes to stop giving this scrub minutes tbh

sasaint
04-11-2017, 09:45 AM

Bingo! And Sean was lauding DLee for making the quick inbound pass before the Blazers' D could get organized. Smh!

Spurs9
04-11-2017, 09:53 AM
If he moves that cranium too fast he loses balance, must be the only explanation tbh..

:lmao

BD24
04-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Sagirl in here semen shielding per par.

Rocalcio
04-11-2017, 11:27 AM
I don't get what you have against this guy, even if he's been afraid of shooting, he made some progress about that since he doesn't hesitate to shoot anymore. And even without shooting, he can do so many other things. Just look at his numbers when he hits the floor, he often steals a lot of balls, he grabs rebounds, he passes the ball pretty well...

rjv
04-11-2017, 11:44 AM
if the flash had an exact opposite, KA would be that anti-hero.

Chews
04-11-2017, 12:31 PM

Pass was right on the money had the most athletic guy on the team not spin his body around after calling for the pass.

https://youtu.be/hewDAxfxSn4?t=8m58s if you want another look at it

Mikeanaro
04-11-2017, 02:59 PM
That ball was really hard to catch, Simmons had a guy making things even harder so I blame Fathead.

GSH
04-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Pass was right on the money had the most athletic guy on the team not spin his body around after calling for the pass.

How about let's start your little video clip about 15 seconds earlier? I really think Kyle should be in the running for DPOY. :lol
https://youtu.be/hewDAxfxSn4?t=8m42s

As for the other, it was a shitty decision first... then a shitty pass. Simmons got separation, and called for the ball. Kyle didn't see it developing, and by the time he recognized it, it was too late. Trying to blame that on Simmons is just ignorant.

Spurtacular
04-11-2017, 04:14 PM

How about having the skills (and will) to grab a ball going a quarter mile per hour?

Spurtacular
04-11-2017, 04:16 PM

There's no over reaction. The guy couldn't grab a ball and the Spurs lost because of it. It's the simple fact.

Spurtacular
04-11-2017, 04:21 PM

Late and to the wrong side is "on the money" in your world, huh?

Spurtacular
04-11-2017, 04:23 PM
How about let's start your little video clip about 15 seconds earlier? I really think Kyle should be in the running for DPOY. :lol

Slow recognition. Taking a shitty angle. No close out speed or agility. No urgency to close the game out. That's Fathead for you.

Atl Spur
04-11-2017, 04:53 PM
Anderson plays with NO intensity!

skulls138
04-11-2017, 05:35 PM
Watch that play again, Lee should have had it. He had two hands on it.

DPG21920
04-11-2017, 05:41 PM
I don't get what you have against this guy, even if he's been afraid of shooting, he made some progress about that since he doesn't hesitate to shoot anymore. And even without shooting, he can do so many other things. Just look at his numbers when he hits the floor, he often steals a lot of balls, he grabs rebounds, he passes the ball pretty well...

I agree with this - very good take. Kyle obviously has his flaws and maybe he has not been as good as we (or some of us) have hoped to this point.

But that does not mean that he has not made progress. He has. His defense is truly NBA level and that is massive considering that was the biggest question mark to his game coming into the NBA.

He obviously can rebound and is a huge plus when he does because he can immediately outlet the ball or initiate the offense which is very valuable.

His offense needs to come along more and he needs to keep working on his shooting, but acting like he's some scrub because people only value one side of the ball is silly to me.

rjv
04-11-2017, 06:12 PM
the biggest problem I have with kyle is that although he has some nice skills, i'm still waiting for him to come out of his shell. he just seems to defer too much and has a hesitancy about him on the offensive side of the ball that often makes him a liability.

Chews
04-11-2017, 07:52 PM

As for the other, it was a shitty decision first... then a shitty pass. Simmons got separation, and called for the ball. Kyle didn't see it developing, and by the time he recognized it, it was too late. Trying to blame that on Simmons is just ignorant.

Kyle was playing the three.

How was the inbounds a shitty decision? Had to get the ball past half court and had no timeouts to bail us out.

It was not too late to throw the ball, he threw it after simmons called for it... simmons spins and back peddles while the ball is in the air which ended up being the difference in him being able to catch the ball or not.

Chews
04-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Late and to the wrong side is "on the money" in your world, huh?

How was the throw late? There was nobody on the other side of simmons and where the ball landed there was plenty of room for simmons to catch and make a move.

Wrong side is debatable because you want to throw the ball into the open court and not lead him out of bounds. Simmons had ample room and opportunity to catch the pass. Unfortunately he started to back peddle when the ball was in the air and that cost him enough distance for the throw to be over his head.

How many times do you see a receiver, in football, back peddle to catch a pass even when the ball is thrown to the outside shoulder? You don't. I don't expect simmons to have the same skills that a receiver has, but I do expect him to not back peddle when the ball is in the air. Ball was thrown fine and simmons should not have started back peddling after the ball was passed to him.

What if he went down court for an outlet pass and when the ball was thrown up the court he started back peddling?

Chews
04-11-2017, 08:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Tz4OxSQ.png

Ball in air; Simmons calling for ball; Seperation between Simmons and defender.

http://i.imgur.com/5fwcldz.png

Simmons spinning and back peddling (note the seperation has been closed by defender)

http://i.imgur.com/pE1mlZo.png

Ball barely goes over Simmons' hands. Plenty of court if he was to catch the ball.

dabom
04-11-2017, 08:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Tz4OxSQ.png

Ball in air; Simmons calling for ball; Seperation between Simmons and defender.

http://i.imgur.com/5fwcldz.png

Simmons spinning and back peddling (note the seperation has been closed by defender)

http://i.imgur.com/pE1mlZo.png

Ball barely goes over Simmons' hands. Plenty of court if he was to catch the ball.

Simmons is by the middle of the court paint. Then you expect him to be by the rim? :lmao

Chews
04-11-2017, 08:41 PM
Simmons is by the middle of the court paint. Then you expect him to be by the rim? :lmao

I'm not sure what your question is. If the ball is thrown more towards the hoop and not into the open court, you risk leading him out of bounds and it gives the defender a better angle to deflect or, worse, intercept the ball.

The point wasn't to score, it was to inbounds the ball and waste as much time as you can. Although, of course, scoring would have been better than a turnover.

If you're saying the ball was thrown too far, Simmons was running down the court and wasn't at a stand still. The ball was in a place for Simmons to get, he just played the ball wrong and slowed down... therefore the ball went over his hands.

dabom
04-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Simmons wasn't expecting a ball that far. Blame the passer. He had lot of good space to throw it too.

skulls138
04-11-2017, 09:15 PM
Simmons was caught in that inbetween zone of how to catch it. Was it a cradle catch or a go up and grab it type catch. He looked like he was caught in between.

GSH
04-11-2017, 09:18 PM
Kyle was playing the three.

How was the inbounds a shitty decision? Had to get the ball past half court and had no timeouts to bail us out.

It was not too late to throw the ball, he threw it after simmons called for it... simmons spins and back peddles while the ball is in the air which ended up being the difference in him being able to catch the ball or not.

Kyle IS playing the three. But he didn't play the man he was covering worth a shit.

It was a shitty decision because it was too late, and he didn't see it developing. You can blame Pop for putting him in that situation. He should have had Pau or even Lee throwing it in.

Simmons did EXACTLY what he needed to do. If you look, he actually slows down, because he knows the opening has passed. (And he was right.) He was totally surprised to see that ball in the air.

Honestly, the blame for the loss really should go to Pop. The Spurs were up by 1, and Stotts was calling for a foul. The worst the Spurs should have expected was a tie and OT. Bottom line, the Blazers would have had to make a desperation shot either way - but if they had taken the foul, the Spurs would have been up by 2 or 3. I guess the loss didn't really "count" for anything. But I HATE going into the postseason as losers.

But if you're trying to defend Kyle, don't. Kawhi made a similar pass a couple of weeks ago, where he anticipated and led his guy. Kyle's pass was beyond risky. Kawhi's was beautiful. I don't hate Kyle. But if he's not up to it, he shouldn't be put in that position.

Chews
04-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Kyle IS playing the three. But he didn't play the man he was covering worth a shit.

It was a shitty decision because it was too late, and he didn't see it developing. You can blame Pop for putting him in that situation. He should have had Pau or even Lee throwing it in.

Simmons did EXACTLY what he needed to do. If you look, he actually slows down, because he knows the opening has passed. (And he was right.) He was totally surprised to see that ball in the air.

Honestly, the blame for the loss really should go to Pop. The Spurs were up by 1, and Stotts was calling for a foul. The worst the Spurs should have expected was a tie and OT. Bottom line, the Blazers would have had to make a desperation shot either way - but if they had taken the foul, the Spurs would have been up by 2 or 3. I guess the loss didn't really "count" for anything. But I HATE going into the postseason as losers.

But if you're trying to defend Kyle, don't. Kawhi made a similar pass a couple of weeks ago, where he anticipated and led his guy. Kyle's pass was beyond risky. Kawhi's was beautiful. I don't hate Kyle. But if he's not up to it, he shouldn't be put in that position.

I see your point and I'll respectfully disagree. :toast

I hate losing too, especially when it's to second stringers, but for some reason the team has not been very motivated (or sharp, depending on your view) in games where the stakes are low. The team has holes but enough talent to overcome those... we'll have to wait and see which team comes out during the playoffs.

Chews
04-11-2017, 09:42 PM
Simmons wasn't expecting a ball that far. Blame the passer.

:huh

If Simmons wasn't expecting a pass that far then you either call it a misunderstanding or blame Simmons for not being ready. You don't blame someone for throwing a catchable pass because the other guy wasn't expecting it, unless its an odd scenario where you're throwing a bullet pass to a guy not looking at you.

IMO, and I know you don't care, Simmons misplayed the ball. I think it's that simple and I think that because had he not spun around so slow or not spun around at all, he would have been right under the ball. If Kyle throws the ball a shorter distance, the defender makes a play on the ball.

Had Kyle thrown it sooner and Simmons spun around and back peddled it would be the same scenario. There was plenty of space for Simmons to catch the ball so I don't think the throw being a second later affected Simmons being able to or not able to catch the ball.

GSH
04-11-2017, 09:45 PM
I see your point and I'll respectfully disagree. :toast

Well, hell... I can live with that all day, every day. Back at'cha. :toast

For the record, I was a Simmons fan from Day 1. But I've had to back off. I think he'd do really well on a team like the Wizards. But I'm afraid he's a net liability to the Spurs. I do think he's worked really hard to play smarter ball.

Tim used to throw those inbounds passes a lot, and did it very well. So did Horry. Pau and Lee are very good passers, and have a lot of experience. Kyle second-guesses himself too much to be put into that position. Whatever skills he has, you can't be hesitant in that spot. And that's what I saw on that play.

Chews
04-11-2017, 09:56 PM
Well, hell... I can live with that all day, every day. Back at'cha. :toast

For the record, I was a Simmons fan from Day 1. But I've had to back off. I think he'd do really well on a team like the Wizards. But I'm afraid he's a net liability to the Spurs. I do think he's worked really hard to play smarter ball.

Tim used to throw those inbounds passes a lot, and did it very well. So did Horry. Pau and Lee are very good passers, and have a lot of experience. Kyle second-guesses himself too much to be put into that position. Whatever skills he has, you can't be hesitant in that spot. And that's what I saw on that play.

Simmons has big splash plays but to me seems to lack other traits you need to solidify a spot in the NBA. Decent shooter; Poor court vision; Average passer. Plays solid defense though :D haha

Kyle is VERY hesitant, I don't know if it's his confidence or he just isn't very quick at making decisions. It does affect his game tremendously.. to add to the fact he is already not very fast physically.

Kyle still has a ways to go if he wants to be a rotational player in the NBA, whether it's with the Spurs or someone else.. Simmons unfortunately doesn't have the time to develop that Anderson does.

Solid D
04-11-2017, 10:11 PM

Now that is hilarious! :lol

Down Under
04-11-2017, 11:03 PM
He can rebound, has good defensive instincts - gets plenty of deflections and is a very good help defender. He really understands the game. But he needs to look to score everytime he drives and that will allow him to make good passes. At the moment, teams know he's not looking to score at all and can just sag off him, which makes his court vision redundant.

Spurtacular
04-11-2017, 11:24 PM
How was the throw late? There was nobody on the other side of simmons and where the ball landed there was plenty of room for simmons to catch and make a move.

Wrong side is debatable because you want to throw the ball into the open court and not lead him out of bounds. Simmons had ample room and opportunity to catch the pass. Unfortunately he started to back peddle when the ball was in the air and that cost him enough distance for the throw to be over his head.

How many times do you see a receiver, in football, back peddle to catch a pass even when the ball is thrown to the outside shoulder? You don't. I don't expect simmons to have the same skills that a receiver has, but I do expect him to not back peddle when the ball is in the air. Ball was thrown fine and simmons should not have started back peddling after the ball was passed to him.

What if he went down court for an outlet pass and when the ball was thrown up the court he started back peddling?

Watch it. He had Simmons on the break and only threw the ball after the defender recovered. And had he thrown it on time, the pass would have led him without twisting him. If you think that pass was on the money, then that's laughable. And the debate is not whether Simmons could have caught it; it's about the quality of the pass, which was not especially high.

Chews
04-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Watch it. He had Simmons on the break and only threw the ball after the defender recovered. And had he thrown it on time, the pass would have led him without twisting him. If you think that pass was on the money, then that's laughable. And the debate is not whether Simmons could have caught it; it's about the quality of the pass, which was not especially high.

Did you see the pictures I posted? The first picture shows the ball in the air and separation between him and the defender, the defender caught up because Simmons spun around and back peddled for a good few steps.. shown in the second picture. The quality of the pass was fine because Simmons should have caught the ball. You can keep blaming Anderson for throwing the ball in a place Simmons could and should have gotten to but didn't, I'm not going to do the same. Watch those scenarios in football next season and you will understand, ball is thrown in front of the receiver and they don't spin and back peddle, regardless of the shoulder they throw it over. There is no "late" thrown when there is nothing but open field in front of them.

duncan2k5
04-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Best Spurs clutch plays came from players decisions than designated plays this season. In Pau-LMA lob vs Grizz, Pau admitted that wasnt the called play.

The same with that Patty's 3's assisted by Manu in Houston.

Tough losses were on Pop. Vs Utah, Suns, Bucks, one of Grizz' games, Portland, Lakers...this one.

We can criticize players but we shouldnt ignore that this isnt best Pop' coaching season.

This, tbh...he has been getting too cute with his rotations at times, so not at playoff time there is NO chemistry...he has been unable to make the hard decisions when it it to tony parker ..(we all know there is NO way he should be starting over Murray), and he has made some momentum breaking subs...still doesn't know how to maximize kawhi...reluctance to play Bertrans and simmons consistent minutes...many problems

duncan2k5
04-12-2017, 08:46 PM
I think Kyle's defense is overrated...Crawford was calling I so every time down the court, and each time he left Kyle flat footed...Kyle doesn't even get back into the play once he is passed...dude is SUPER lazy on defense...don't let a couple deflections fool u

TheGreatYacht
04-12-2017, 08:50 PM
Not sure why people are wasting time with Chews . That faggot was blaming Simmons for letting Rodney Hood hit a buzzer beater even though he was guarding George Hill.

Wouldn't be surprised if he posts under a girl alt on here....

Chews
04-12-2017, 08:58 PM
Not sure why people are wasting time with Chews (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49783) . That faggot was blaming Simmons for letting Rodney Hood hit a buzzer beater even though he was guarding George Hill.

Wouldn't be surprised if he posts under a girl alt on here....

Thanks for wasting your time mentioning me bae ;)

Chews
04-12-2017, 09:00 PM
these forum egos crack me up

YGWHI
04-13-2017, 12:00 AM
This, tbh...he has been getting too cute with his rotations at times, so not at playoff time there is NO chemistry...he has been unable to make the hard decisions when it it to tony parker ..(we all know there is NO way he should be starting over Murray), and he has made some momentum breaking subs...still doesn't know how to maximize kawhi...reluctance to play Bertrans and simmons consistent minutes...many problems

Agree on pretty much everythig but especially about Davis. Cant believe Pop didnt play him vs GSW when he's a perfect matchup against them. He would force Dray to defend him at the 3-point line, making life easier for the rest of Spurs players on court.

SAGirl
04-13-2017, 12:37 AM
Troll thread by Spurtacular who is a lousy troll...