PDA

View Full Version : Manu: Love the playoffs, but it's a different experience for me now

ElNono
04-12-2017, 11:41 PM
Love the playoffs, but it's a different experience for me now
by Manu Ginobili

SAN ANTONIO.- The start of the playoffs is special. We know what it's all about. And in this case we're going to be facing a tough team in Memphis. Any team, at this stage, is difficult. We already knew we wouldn't be playing against the worst team in the NBA: the 7th seed in the West is always tough. It is what it is. We believe that playing at a good level and elevating our potential, we should be able to win. But you never know. We have to do anything we can to reach the peak of our game play. They're a team that limits you, that can create mismatches, that plays rough. It's a tough team, like Oklahoma City, Utah, Houston or Clippers. There's not a single team you can think it could be an easy series.

What was particular about these playoffs is that we knew with 4 games to go that our competition would be the Grizzlies. We don't think that benefit any team in particular. It's true that you start focusing on that opponent, thinking about matchups (defensive strategies), how will the team play. We're well, even though in the last four games we had our heads more in what's coming. Despite trying to play well and gain some rhythm, it just wasn't the same because we already knew the challenge that's coming. We want the playoffs to start and we know it's a great time in the season.

We'll have to improve our fluidity on offense. The times we faced them [the Grizzlies] we had trouble. Defensively we knew how to play them, but not offensively. We're still at a point where our offense needs to stop getting stuck. Find a way to move the ball the way we want to move it. We shouldn't rely on a stationary offense against a very physical team that defends very well. The key, I think, is to speed up the game.

Our style is changing, we went from a team with a lot of ball movement to more of a isolation team for LaMarcus [Aldridge] and Kawhi [Leonard]. It's a natural process, because when you have players of that caliber, the balance shifts. We just need to adjust that offensive balance to make sure it has the dynamism it needs. There's up and down during a 82 game season and we expect to adjust for this instance. But despite all that, we had another 60 win season. It's a big number. It might look more 'normal', because Golden State did it in the past few seasons, but it's not easy to achieve and we've been able to sustain that over time.

In particular, I love the playoffs, but it's a different experience for me now. In the past, the regular season was some sort of anxious wait for the playoffs. Now, if the regular season would go on for another 20 games, I wouldn't mind. It's just that I'm fine and enjoying the moment. That said, playing in the playoffs is awesome, because it's a different game, but I don't have that kind of adrenaline waiting for them to start right away.

-----

Original in spanish here:
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/2009545-los-playoffs-me-encantan-pero-ahora-los-vivo-de-otra-manera

apalisoc_9
04-12-2017, 11:43 PM
Still the best Spurs Guard and Best spurs PG ever. :cry

xtremesteven33
04-12-2017, 11:57 PM
I get the impression this is his final run. Doesnt want to set high expectations, but wanting to enjoy the game of basketball for the last time. Knowing Manu, hes not going down without a fight. Hes got some game left in the tank and you know hes going to sacrifice everything he has for the final time.

MultiTroll
04-13-2017, 12:19 AM
We'll have to improve our fluidity on offense. The times we faced them [the Grizzlies] we had trouble. Defensively we knew how to play them, but not offensively. We're still at a point where our offense needs to stop getting stuck. Find a way to move the ball the way we want to move it. We shouldn't rely on a stationary offense against a very physical team that defends very well. The key, I think, is to speed up the game.

Our style is changing, we went from a team with a lot of ball movement to more of a isolation team for LaMarcus [Aldridge] and Kawhi [Leonard]. It's a natural process, because when you have players of that caliber, the balance shifts. We just need to adjust that offensive balance to make sure it has the dynamism it needs.

Dear Manu,
Have you talked about this with Coach Cementhead and his staff, as well as the other players?
Are any of the coaching staff and/or players having a problem with accepting this ball movement style?

SAGirl
04-13-2017, 12:33 AM
Thanks for sharing Nono.
Theres some melancholy there.
Have to enjoy the Manu that's left. Feels like a farewell, that's why he feels he could have played 20 more games if he needed to in his mind and is not anxious for the playoffs to start this season.
Just a different experience IMO... maybe I am readig too much into it but that's what it feels like.

Mikeanaro
04-13-2017, 12:36 AM
Manu when the time comes, please take with you Porker D-League and Fathead.
You are my nigga :bobo

gambit1990
04-13-2017, 12:37 AM
td, then manu... at least we'll have kawhi.

Down Under
04-13-2017, 12:42 AM
Haven't seen much of it this year and if we make it to GS it won't be used, but does anyone have any data on how much small ball the Spurs have played this year and how effective it has been. Aldridge, Kawhi, Green, Manu & Patty sounds like a pretty good 2 way lineup to close games, although I know TP normally finds Aldridge in his sweet spots so not sure how it would go.

SAGirl
04-13-2017, 12:49 AM
Haven't seen much of it this year and if we make it to GS it won't be used, but does anyone have any data on how much small ball the Spurs have played this year and how effective it has been. Aldridge, Kawhi, Green, Manu & Patty sounds like a pretty good 2 way lineup to close games, although I know TP normally finds Aldridge in his sweet spots so not sure how it would go.
Data, no. Eye test: almost no small ball the entire season whatsoever. When you have the bigs Spurs do, and Bertans can't even get enough minutes, Pop looked to stay with 2 bigs on the court at all times. In a very few ocasiona he tried. Anderson as a 4, with some success but it was very very few minutes/games. Sometimes he did it to close out a game with Kawhi at the 4 but it was for a couple of defensive possessions. Pop stayed big I would say 95% of the entire season.

Robz4000
04-13-2017, 01:06 AM
Doesn't sound too confident about the playoffs imo...

SAGirl
04-13-2017, 01:09 AM
Doesn't sound too confident about the playoffs imo...
To me.... it's like the results don't matter to him.
I placed it in the light of him retiring and it feeling like a farewell,
but in reality the team is going to need some hungrier dudes to step up. He sounds content, satisfied and about to retire.

urunobili
04-13-2017, 08:20 AM
Those Nocioni farewell words though :cry

Amuseddaysleeper
04-13-2017, 08:52 AM
The team lacks hunger, only Kawhi gives a damn at this point.

Gonna miss Manu so much when he's gone

Canyonero
04-13-2017, 08:53 AM
Those Nocioni farewell words though :cry

Spurs could have played PG-Manu-Nocioni-Scola-Duncan :cry:cry:cry

coachmac87
04-13-2017, 09:05 AM
Again it's all about realistic expectations...

Spurs over achieved this year...

We're not supposed to win a title the year after Duncan retires...

GSW was the favorite since July (KD) and should win it all...

But if you've watched postseason sports this year ANYTHING can happen...

Just like Manu said enjoy the ride....

Believe

spursparker9
04-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Definitely feel that this is Manu's last season.

Russ
04-13-2017, 09:34 AM
by Manu Ginobili

The key, I think, is to speed up the game.

This will be interesting. The Spurs' athleticism will be relied upon (contrary to popular belief).

I. Hustle
04-13-2017, 10:09 AM
I think he should go ahead and help them win it all this year. That way he could come in as a champ and go out as a champ as well.

I think someone should tell him that. That way he knows.

kaji157
04-13-2017, 10:38 AM
Incredible that even when Manu looses his hunger like this he still is the most hungry player on the team, maybe with Kawhi, but he is less emotional.

TheGreatYacht
04-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Hope Manu doesn't try to be the hero one last time. He's shat the bed 3 of the last 4 years in the postseason. He needs to play his role which is a spot up shooter or slasher and that's it. Shouldn't play more than his 10-15 minutes a game.

FG% by Distance
At Rim: 52.7%
3-10ft: 29.1%
10-16ft: 35.0%
16ft-3Pt: 12.0%
3-Pt: 39.4%

2015 Playoffs
8.0pts, 3.4reb, 4.6ast, 2.0TO, 34.9FG%

2016 Playoffs
6.7pts, 2.7reb, 2.5ast, 0.7TO, 42.6FG%

ElNono
04-13-2017, 01:34 PM
^ It's not surprising that when Manu plays well, we win championships, tbh... he will be missed when he's gone...

dabom
04-13-2017, 01:39 PM
^ It's not surprising that when Manu plays well, we win championships, tbh... he will be missed when he's gone...

We win and die by Manu. Doesn't mean he would be the best player. :lol

FkLA
04-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Not sure why some of y'all take this as his competitive fire dwindling. A guy like him never loses that. The great Timothy Duncan didnt lose it either, he fought till the end with no knees.

All Manu is saying is that before he wanted the regular season to be over with so the playoffs could start. Whereas now he's enjoying the whole ride since he doesn't have much time left.

tmtcsc
04-13-2017, 01:43 PM
The team lacks hunger, only Kawhi gives a damn at this point.

I don't want to believe this statement but I've seen nothing from this version of the Spurs that says otherwise. Manu used to be a beast but all this feel-good shit, enjoy the ride, doesn't bode well for the rest of the team. He used to be able to bring the "Nasty" but can no longer do so mentally or physically. I don't blame him - 4 rings and all. Its natural for him to lose his edge. The Spurs need someone else to bring it and its not in LMA, Parker or Green. Those are some "ho-hum" motherfuckers. Like Amused said, Kawhi has it, but he needs help.

I can't stand Raymond Green but that dude plays with passion and energy. He's the heart and soul of that team and without him, they would be a bunch of pussies that don't win shit. We know it gets him and his team in trouble some times but it also helps him / them find another gear. Who on the Spurs has that?

I think the personnel on the team has the talent to win but its going to be up to Pop to help them there. He's going to have to drive them to perform.

tmtcsc
04-13-2017, 01:51 PM
Not sure why some of y'all take this as his competitive fire dwindling. A guy like him never loses that. The great Timothy Duncan didnt lose it either, he fought till the end with no knees.

All Manu is saying is that before he wanted the regular season to be over with so the playoffs could start. Whereas now he's enjoying the whole ride since he doesn't have much time left.

He has stated that his attitude has changed in other ways as well. He used to be very hard on himself when he or the team didn't perform well. He was borderline inconsolable and manic when they lost. I think it was that obsession that made him so great. He can say what he wants about still wanting to win, but we all know its not the same. The bigger issue with him is that he is 39 years old now and his body can't do what his mind asks from it.

As Shaq often says, its going to come down to the "others" playing above their norms. --> Patty Mills, David Lee, Danny Green, Anderson, Simmons. These are going to have to be the difference makers.

FkLA
04-13-2017, 02:05 PM
He has stated that his attitude has changed in other ways as well. He used to be very hard on himself when he or the team didn't perform well. He was borderline inconsolable and manic when they lost. I think it was that obsession that made him so great. He can say what he wants about still wanting to win, but we all know its not the same. The bigger issue with him is that he is 39 years old now and his body can't do what his mind asks from it.

As Shaq often says, its going to come down to the "others" playing above their norms. --> Patty Mills, David Lee, Danny Green, Anderson, Simmons. These are going to have to be the difference makers.

That's off the court, dealing with failure stuff. I would attribute that to maturity not him losing his competitiveness. On the court he still brings that fire, still gets as emotional as anyone on the team, still willing to sacrifice his body despite being a senior citizen, and still eager to contribute as much as his body allows him to.

It's impossible for a guy like him to just turn that off, imo.

tonight...you
04-13-2017, 05:16 PM
We win and die by Manu. Doesn't mean he would be the best player. :lol
Did he say that? What are you laughing about?

tonight...you
04-13-2017, 05:18 PM

Truth.
Peeps need to calm down and quit reading between the lines. He's not passive-aggressive.

benefactor
04-13-2017, 05:23 PM
Spurs will get a good solid punch in the mouth this series and it will fuel them. Memphis is the perfect first round opponent.

apalisoc_9
04-13-2017, 06:01 PM
Spurs will get a good solid punch in the mouth this series and it will fuel them. Memphis is the perfect first round opponent.

Every now and then this guy pops out and Post the most Cliche, Vanilla, Casual Post...

:lol

Hilarious.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-13-2017, 09:27 PM
TD and Manu should have jointly retired after the 2014 finals

hater
04-14-2017, 08:05 AM

And when he joins the opposite team we lose

boutons_deux
04-14-2017, 08:19 AM
ISO bball is sucky bball and UNbeautiful, unsuccessful bball

playbonner15
04-14-2017, 09:10 AM
Of course the offense gets stuck in an iso-centric way of playing. Dont know if Manu is still hoping for ways to make t he offense more fluid or he's just hoping the team goes back to the beautiful game. Alas, it's too late to change it now at this stage

DPG21920
04-14-2017, 09:27 AM

Because like you with TP, people on here just have an idea in their head and no matter what they will project that onto the player.

Manu of course has fire and him being more reflective about his career now is no surprise. Manu has always been very candid and open his entire career.

I'm not worried about Manu sucking due to him checking out.

Clipper Nation
04-14-2017, 09:28 AM
The team lacks hunger
Porker's fat rolls and quadruple chin say otherwise, tbh.

benefactor
04-15-2017, 08:26 PM
Every now and then this guy pops out and Post the most Cliche, Vanilla, Casual Post...

Hilarious.
Says the one running the player fan shtick that lost its shine 5 years ago on this site.

Don't quote me or address me in any other way you cocksucking sock puppet...about basketball or any other subject.

Play Boban
04-16-2017, 12:45 AM
Different experience as in a scoreless experience? Then yes.

ErnestLynch
04-16-2017, 01:13 AM
There is no Spurs player I've had a love/hate relationship over the years than Manu. My god I've been so mad at that guy I wanted to fly to Argentina and hunt him down. THEN...he'll redeem himself. The most important thing, to me, that Manu did, and the difference between the way he played in the Miami loss to the redemption the following year, is he learned to play within himself and to me, that's an important aspect to sport and all things in life. You do need to push yourself but at the same time, do whatever it is you do, within your skill set/capability and KNOW WHAT THAT IS. Manu figured that out. Took a bit, but he did figure it out. Manu has always pushed the envelope of his skill set. As he aged, it started to bite him because he didn't have that physical capability to be that ALL THE TIME, but he did learn. You pick your spots and opportunities. He figured it out. Parker is learning that to. You have to have longevity. Pick your time and spot. As the old joke goes, 'Two bulls standing on the top of a hill. The young one spots a herd of cows in the valley and says to the old bull, lets run down there and fuck one of those cows.' The old bull says, 'Lets walk down and fuck them all.'

'A man's gotta know his limitations'

--Clint Eastwood

Spurtacular
04-16-2017, 01:30 AM
I get the impression this is his final run. Doesnt want to set high expectations, but wanting to enjoy the game of basketball for the last time. Knowing Manu, hes not going down without a fight. Hes got some game left in the tank and you know hes going to sacrifice everything he has for the final time.

A guy saying he wouldn't mind playing 20 more games and having one more year on his contract gives you the impression he's going to retire?

benefactor
04-27-2017, 11:39 PM

Hilarious.

The one thing I do like about it is Memphis is a heck of a defensive team, and they play pretty rock 'em sock 'em and I think that gets you ready for anybody that you are going to play. So I think that was the most important thing for us...is for a lot of our guys that haven't been with us for a long time or are new to see how it works in the playoffs. How things are going to be called and the kind of tenacity and the understanding that it's a 48 minute game and anything can happen. We've had big leads and other teams in the playoffs have had big leads and you lose them. It's tough. People are hungry. People want to win.

:wakeup

turkish spurs fan
04-28-2017, 12:13 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-eRa-0WAAAKxUu.jpg:large

TheGreatYacht
04-28-2017, 01:01 AM
Was huge defensively today. Good thing he can take some minutes away from our 29yr old past his prime starting SG....

SAGirl
04-28-2017, 04:23 AM
Manu is most definitely retiring.
One good game out of 6.

From Downtown
04-28-2017, 05:17 AM
Manu is most definitely retiring.
One good game out of 6.

Good thing we didn't waste it

Pocho La Pantera
04-28-2017, 05:19 AM
SA Girl, he played badly last night?

SAGirl
04-28-2017, 05:23 AM
Good thing we didn't waste it
Frankly team was lucky they didn't waste good games from their guys. They really didn't play well as a group (save kawhi and he wasn't exceptional that game... was game 3.. no one had it going and for what it's worth.. I don't think it was wasted. All the young players got the chance to compete against Memphis starters and they played as well as one could have hoped... they didn't lay down and die.)

The only real hearbreaker was game 4 bc kawhi was so exceptional... really at the time, made sad he didn't get help. I think Manu probably felt so bad about that (if it hurt us as fans, can you imagine how teammates felt letting him down?) and so they came out balling in game 5.

No matter what happens we have to appreciate this team and not take them for granted.

Hopefully Manu has a few more. I'd like for it to be more than just 1 out of 6... we shall see. I keep thinking Pop has to play his younger guys more, but they are bound to make a mistake here or there and go back to the doghouse. In Manu Pop trusts...

but it's become clear to me, this is Manu's last run.

SAGirl
04-28-2017, 05:23 AM
SA Girl, he played badly last night?
He had two bad TO and only one made basket. That is way down from RS production... so it is subpar.. I wouldn't call it a good game tbh.

TMTTRIO
04-28-2017, 09:08 AM
I really love Manu but I wish he knows when it is time to quit. Being the competitor that he is I hate seeing him struggle like this and become more of a liability. To be fair I was at one of the games and he was really involved in coaching the guys during the timeouts. He was even in the coaches huddle.

kaji157
04-28-2017, 10:23 AM
He had two bad TO and only one made basket. That is way down from RS production... so it is subpar.. I wouldn't call it a good game tbh.

To say the truth this was a really particular series. Memphis is a top 5 defense in the nba, and their offensive averages were better than their rs averages.
So in reality they played a team with ratings near the top 10 in the league.
We have to see now how he fares against Houston. Which is a better offensive team but in defense the drop off is giant. Memphis is 5th in Drtg while Houston is 18th.
Not to say that physical teams are bound to bother Manu at this stage in his career.