PDA

View Full Version : Going to games 3 & 4 in Memphis

8FOR!3
04-17-2017, 07:01 PM
Flying up with my family for the weekend (from SC). Never been to a Spurs playoff game before although I've been to plenty of regular season games in San Antonio in the past. Anybody ever been to Memphis before? Fun places to go, things to do? How is the arena?

sasaint
04-17-2017, 07:36 PM
Beal Street is kinda Memphis' answer to Bourbon Street. Google "Peabody Hotel." The family might enjoy the ducks in the lobby. Memphis tradition. And eat plenty of BBQ! Have a great time!

Spurs9
04-17-2017, 09:27 PM
Take some pics tbh

8FOR!3
04-17-2017, 09:32 PM
Take some pics tbh

Yeah I'll try to get some decent ones on my phone our seats are across from the bench but they're pretty close. Tickets were surprisingly reasonable.

Spurs9
04-17-2017, 09:50 PM
Yeah I'll try to get some decent ones on my phone our seats are across from the bench but they're pretty close. Tickets were surprisingly reasonable.

I haven't been to other NBA games outside of the Spurs. Wouldn't mind checking out a Rockets game this playoffs.

Trainwreck2100
04-17-2017, 09:55 PM
I hope you enjoy awkward timeout entertainment

8FOR!3
04-21-2017, 10:29 PM
I hope you enjoy awkward timeout entertainment

The bear choke slam though the table was my favorite. They had been hyping it up the whole game.

So I'll talk more about the game and post pics later, but I did want to say I was on the elevator at my hotel and I ran into James Borrego. Told him go Spurs and he said thanks dude. Seemed like a nice guy. Went to dinner later and saw him and Udoka and Pop and some other staff at the bar, went over to Coach Pop and shook his hand. Said they'd try and play better tomorrow for us. Asked if we flew down or lived here, that kind of thing. Very friendly guy. Then back at the hotel we're talking to the guy working the bell hop about running into players, and he said none of them are staying at the hotel but there is a lacrosse team down. I told him that was funny bc I ran into Borrego on the elevator a couple hours ago and then we cracked a couple jokes about it. Anyways we're talking about Patty, Aldridge, and Ginobili walk in. We walk back towards the elevators and I said go Spurs to Aldridge and he acknowledged it (I don't remember what he said exactly) and they followed us into the elevator. Told them we'd be at the game supporting them tomorrow and they were kinda like thanks guys and we wished them good luck and they told us to have a good one when we got off.

Everyone seemed really friendly. I'm sure they get slightly annoyed when everyone goes up to them and says something, but if they were they didn't make it obvious. I'm not one to want to bother guys like that typically, but I tried to be short enough and just say hi. Didn't want to bother any of them for pictures or autographs or anything, I did get Sean Elliott's autograph at the game last night. So I obviously don't have proof of any of that, so if you don't want to believe me that's ok too but it's not like anything crazy happened. My grandmother tapped Coach Pop's shoulder and he did turn around, extend his hand and say "Hi, I'm Gregg" which has to be the most Coach Pop thing I've ever heard. I felt bad bc we basically interrupted him, but he was easily the most talkative one I've met so far.

Great experience in Memphis so far, not sure if it's my favorite city in the world, but the food's decent enough, the people (well most of the people) are friendly enough and the fans in the grindhouse were absolutely electric. I'll keep the thread updated if anything else cool happens and eventually I'll post some of the pics from the game. We had great seats in game 3, 3rd row up near the middle across from the spurs bench. Seats will be close by tomorrow, not as far near center court. Got some good pics though from 3.

spurs10
04-21-2017, 10:40 PM
Beal Street is kinda Memphis' answer to Bourbon Street. Google "Peabody Hotel." The family might enjoy the ducks in the lobby. Memphis tradition. And eat plenty of BBQ! Have a great time! Yes love the Peabody Hotel...some cool shops there....family who made a lot of Elvis' clothes. Then just a block away the famous Rendezvous BBQ restaurant. There might be better BBQ places but that place is iconic and a must visit. Graceland and Stax Records are great daytime tours. Love Memphis!

8FOR!3
04-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Yes love the Peabody Hotel...some cool shops there....family who made a lot of Elvis' clothes. Then just a block away the famous Rendezvous BBQ restaurant. There might be better BBQ places but that place is iconic and a must visit. Graceland and Stax Records are great daytime tours. Love Memphis!

We went to the National Civil Rights Museum today, it was at the Lorraine Motel where MLK was assassinated so it was very interesting. Enjoyed the museum. We ate at Central BBQ yesterday for lunch when we got to town, it was good; not as good as Texas brisket. Seemed like it was more like Carolina BBQ (where I live now). One of my buddies told me Rendezvous was the best and I keep hearing about it, so we might try that for lunch.

SAGirl
04-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Thanks for sharing nice anecdotes.
I hope the good luck charm works for some extra efficiency shots tomorrow. lol
:flag:

spurs10
04-22-2017, 01:09 AM
We went to the National Civil Rights Museum today, it was at the Lorraine Motel where MLK was assassinated so it was very interesting. Enjoyed the museum. We ate at Central BBQ yesterday for lunch when we got to town, it was good; not as good as Texas brisket. Seemed like it was more like Carolina BBQ (where I live now). One of my buddies told me Rendezvous was the best and I keep hearing about it, so we might try that for lunch. The National Civil Rights Museum and the Lorraine Motel are something I'm going to do when I visit in May. I'm pretty sure Stax Records was right across the street. Enjoy!!

Spurtacular
04-22-2017, 01:10 AM
Move this thread to the fiction forum.

8FOR!3
04-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Sorry for the pic sizes I have no idea how to change the sizes I just took the links directly from my Facebook. I took a few more I'll upload later. Sorry if the quality isn't great I took them on my iPhone.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18055775_1941566979423920_9046090937509216359_o.jp g?oh=0745f1a05949c46b8efb42de50c2adef&oe=597CFC72
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18055901_1941562892757662_6077929764077060537_o.jp g?oh=eaa8e8d4e835eedae93860ba1dd1e837&oe=5980EC92
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18056564_1941561439424474_450230153080009082_o.jpg ?oh=09e9a86d873a04e790ac2c64ddb0671f&oe=598FC49C
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17917666_1941560359424582_8183726209513550281_o.jp g?oh=94c578c69ac4cbd3e013d4703b0535a7&oe=597F7579
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17917940_1941477086099576_2100225527668408845_o.jp g?oh=5f9cea114458de3257bcaed1042528cd&oe=5977D7D3

UNT Eagles 2016
04-22-2017, 10:11 AM
Yes love the Peabody Hotel...some cool shops there....family who made a lot of Elvis' clothes. Then just a block away the famous Rendezvous BBQ restaurant. There might be better BBQ places but that place is iconic and a must visit. Graceland and Stax Records are great daytime tours. Love Memphis!
I've only been to (through) Memphis once while driving on the way back from NY to San Antonio one time. Memphis food sucks. The beef I had there made me vomit all over the road, it was so bad. Pretty sure it was a quarter pounder from a gas station McDonald's I stopped at. Nice to see the Pyramid overlooking the great MS River on that bridge, but that bad beef will always be my main memory of Memphis.

MVPCues
04-22-2017, 10:16 AM
The bear choke slam though the table was my favorite. They had been hyping it up the whole game.

So I'll talk more about the game and post pics later, but I did want to say I was on the elevator at my hotel and I ran into James Borrego. Told him go Spurs and he said thanks dude. Seemed like a nice guy. Went to dinner later and saw him and Udoka and Pop and some other staff at the bar, went over to Coach Pop and shook his hand. Said they'd try and play better tomorrow for us. Asked if we flew down or lived here, that kind of thing. Very friendly guy. Then back at the hotel we're talking to the guy working the bell hop about running into players, and he said none of them are staying at the hotel but there is a lacrosse team down. I told him that was funny bc I ran into Borrego on the elevator a couple hours ago and then we cracked a couple jokes about it. Anyways we're talking about Patty, Aldridge, and Ginobili walk in. We walk back towards the elevators and I said go Spurs to Aldridge and he acknowledged it (I don't remember what he said exactly) and they followed us into the elevator. Told them we'd be at the game supporting them tomorrow and they were kinda like thanks guys and we wished them good luck and they told us to have a good one when we got off.

Everyone seemed really friendly. I'm sure they get slightly annoyed when everyone goes up to them and says something, but if they were they didn't make it obvious. I'm not one to want to bother guys like that typically, but I tried to be short enough and just say hi. Didn't want to bother any of them for pictures or autographs or anything, I did get Sean Elliott's autograph at the game last night. So I obviously don't have proof of any of that, so if you don't want to believe me that's ok too but it's not like anything crazy happened. My grandmother tapped Coach Pop's shoulder and he did turn around, extend his hand and say "Hi, I'm Gregg" which has to be the most Coach Pop thing I've ever heard. I felt bad bc we basically interrupted him, but he was easily the most talkative one I've met so far.

Great experience in Memphis so far, not sure if it's my favorite city in the world, but the food's decent enough, the people (well most of the people) are friendly enough and the fans in the grindhouse were absolutely electric. I'll keep the thread updated if anything else cool happens and eventually I'll post some of the pics from the game. We had great seats in game 3, 3rd row up near the middle across from the spurs bench. Seats will be close by tomorrow, not as far near center court. Got some good pics though from 3.

Thanks bro. Good stuff.

rastaspur
04-22-2017, 11:02 AM
We went to the National Civil Rights Museum today, it was at the Lorraine Motel where MLK was assassinated so it was very interesting. Enjoyed the museum. We ate at Central BBQ yesterday for lunch when we got to town, it was good; not as good as Texas brisket. Seemed like it was more like Carolina BBQ (where I live now). One of my buddies told me Rendezvous was the best and I keep hearing about it, so we might try that for lunch.

Stay off beale street after 11 pm on a saturday night. Shit gets wild. Last time I was on beale street on a Sat night gunshots rang out several times and I saw some fat ass get stabbed. Scared the crap out of me.

spurs10
04-22-2017, 11:51 AM
I've only been to (through) Memphis once while driving on the way back from NY to San Antonio one time. Memphis food sucks. The beef I had there made me vomit all over the road, it was so bad. Pretty sure it was a quarter pounder from a gas station McDonald's I stopped at. Nice to see the Pyramid overlooking the great MS River on that bridge, but that bad beef will always be my main memory of Memphis. Eating at a gas station McDonalds might not be a great barometer of "Memphis food." They are pretty slamming ' when it comes to food although their BBQ is very different than Texas. It's pretty easy to get traumatized by many of these fast food chains all across the US. Your burger was probably made of day old possum! :wow

8FOR!3
04-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Stay off beale street after 11 pm on a saturday night. Shit gets wild. Last time I was on beale street on a Sat night gunshots rang out several times and I saw some fat ass get stabbed. Scared the crap out of me.

They had a lot of police and were patting people down last night going on Beale so hopefully it's gotten safer. Idk, too many homeless people begging for money for me to be out in the middle of it. Similar to Athens, georgia in that respect. But Athens has a better college town bar scene. Went to Rendezvous for lunch and the dry rub ribs were good but they don't hold up to TX BBQ one bit. Grizzlies fans are mostly really friendly.

spurs10
04-22-2017, 12:01 PM
They had a lot of police and were patting people down last night going on Beale so hopefully it's gotten safer. Idk, too many homeless people begging for money for me to be out in the middle of it. Similar to Athens, georgia in that respect. But Athens has a better college town bar scene. Went to Rendezvous for lunch and the dry rub ribs were good but they don't hold up to TX BBQ one bit. Grizzlies fans are mostly really friendly. Yeah the dry rub ribs aren't for everyone. Another cool thing to consider would be going to Reverend Al Green's church on Sunday. He will be singing. Pretty sure it's an old school Southern Baptist thing where he preaches, but he is one of the greatest singers on the planet. "Let's Stay Together" "Love and Happiness"....

ElNono
04-22-2017, 12:37 PM
thanks for sharing 8FOR!3

ElNono
04-22-2017, 12:40 PM
Jimmy Goldstein there with Manu... there's a backstory about Jimmy with the Argentina team in Mexico '86, with Maradona, Ruggeri, etc... when I heard it I couldn't believe it was the same guy, but it was...

spurs10
04-22-2017, 12:53 PM
Jimmy Goldstein there with Manu... there's a backstory about Jimmy with the Argentina team in Mexico '86, with Maradona, Ruggeri, etc... when I heard it I couldn't believe it was the same guy, but it was... Cool...and yes thanks for the pics 8FOR!3! You are one step away from needing to suit up!

gambit1990
04-22-2017, 01:04 PM
i know nothing about jimmy goldstein... besides the fact that he has had great seats for numerous playoff games over the years.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-22-2017, 10:16 PM
Eating at a gas station McDonalds might not be a great barometer of "Memphis food." They are pretty slamming ' when it comes to food although their BBQ is very different than Texas. It's pretty easy to get traumatized by many of these fast food chains all across the US. Your burger was probably made of day old possum! :wow
How is their BBQ different? I google it and I see the same thing. Pork ribs with a lot of delicious, sweet sauce.

Russ
04-22-2017, 10:21 PM
You might want to consider skipping Game 6.

8FOR!3
04-22-2017, 10:50 PM
You might want to consider skipping Game 6.

Haha I'll be back in Myrtle Beach Monday. Still had fun. I sat 3 or 4 rows directly behind Goldstein tonight I'll post a picture tmrrw

Spurs 4 The Win
04-22-2017, 10:54 PM
Pls dont go to anymore games

8FOR!3
04-23-2017, 12:02 AM
Pls dont go to anymore games

If im the bad luck charm then we'll win the championship bc I'm not gonna make it to anymore games this year

Spurs 4 The Win
04-23-2017, 12:24 AM
If im the bad luck charm then we'll win the championship bc I'm not gonna make it to anymore games this year

:toast :lol

TampaDude
04-23-2017, 04:12 AM
Glad you enjoyed Memphis. Now, please stay out of San Antonio. :lol

playbonner15
04-23-2017, 04:18 AM
Haha I'll be back in Myrtle Beach Monday. Still had fun. I sat 3 or 4 rows directly behind Goldstein tonight I'll post a picture tmrrw

Congratulations in watching an amazing game. There was even a Memphis vs Texas bbq skit that made me miss Memphis bbq :lol

8FOR!3
04-25-2017, 06:48 PM
Congratulations in watching an amazing game. There was even a Memphis vs Texas bbq skit that made me miss Memphis bbq :lol

The BBQ skit was pretty funny!

So as I'm sure some of ya'll are seeing Coach Pop tipped the bartender or whoever $5,000 the night I met him at McEwen's. Thought that was crazy when I saw the articles today! Great restaurant btw for anyone who goes to Memphis. My family and I bought a bottle of moscato there that night for like $35 :lol Sounds like Pop has a bit more expensive taste.