PDA

View Full Version : Luke Walton out indefinitely with injured hamstring

ducks
10-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Luke Walton out indefinitely with injured hamstring

By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer
October 13, 2005
HONOLULU (AP) -- Lakers forward Luke Walton probably will begin the season on the injured list because of a strained left hamstring.

The third-year player was injured late in the fourth quarter Tuesday night when Los Angeles beat Golden State 101-93 in the exhibition opener for both teams. Lakers spokesman John Black said Walton would be sidelined two to six weeks.

``The trainers are saying probably closer to six weeks,'' Walton said before the Lakers and Warriors met again Wednesday night at the University of Hawaii. ``They said it's different for everyone.''

Walton said he's never had this kind of injury before. He was injured while cutting to the basket not long after making a 3-point play with 4:08 remaining that gave the Lakers an 89-84 lead.

``I felt a sharp pain shoot through it,'' he said. ``As soon as I cut, it just popped.''

Walton played seven minutes and scored five points. He played in 61 games for the Lakers last season, five of them starts, and averaged 3.2 points, 2.3 rebounds and 1.5 assists.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson said the extent of the injury probably won't be known until the team returns home Thursday.

``This is really a slow go if it's a tear,'' Jackson said. ``What we do know is these are the type of injuries you've got to let heal, go slow with.''

The Lakers open the season Nov. 2 at Denver.

angel_luv
10-13-2005, 04:48 PM
This is too bad. Luke Walton is the only Laker I ever rooted for.

ducks
10-14-2005, 12:04 PM
yeah he is not too bad