PDA

View Full Version : OT: but but PGs...

apalisoc_9
04-18-2017, 09:32 PM
:cry

The nba media and its obssesion with pgs...always trying to crown Pgs..

04-18-2017, 09:36 PM
If they were actual point guards I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'm sick of this trend of SGs in a point guard body though. We barely have competent point guards in the NBA nowadays.

chunticakes
04-18-2017, 09:39 PM
If they were actual point guards I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'm sick of this trend of SGs in a point guard body though. We barely have competent point guards in the NBA nowadays.

This. Today's PGs :lol

midnightpulp
04-18-2017, 09:45 PM
This is your "modern" NBA. The power of the 3 point shot has transformed basketball from an inside/out game to an outside/in game, and because PGs conduct most of their business beyond the 3 point line, it gives them an immense impact, especially if they're good from distance off the dribble, which nearly every young PG is today. This forces defense to over-commit and thus opens up passing lanes even more, giving PGs numerous playmaking options. Furthermore, PG centric offenses are easier. Less moving parts. If your PG can dribble and shoot, all he needs is a pick to get free to initiate a defensive breakdown.

It makes for an aesthetically pleasing, "fast paced" game that casuals love, but it's trash basketball.

But there's no denying that PGs are by far the most important players in basketball now. Kawhi, etc are a dying breed, even if their style of basketball is technically more difficult and more impressive. People don't want to watch a post-game anymore. They want to see chucked 3s off the dribble, a la Wardell.

:lol Today's NBA indeed.

FkLA
04-18-2017, 09:47 PM
This is your "modern" NBA. The power of the 3 point shot has transformed basketball from an inside/out game to an outside/in game, and because PGs conduct most of their business beyond the 3 point line, it gives them an immense impact, especially if they're good from distance off the dribble, which nearly every young PG is today. This forces defense to over-commit and thus opens up passing lanes even more, giving PGs numerous playmaking options. Furthermore, PG centric offenses are easier. Less moving parts. If your PG can dribble and shoot, all he needs is a pick to get free to initiate a defensive breakdown.

It makes for an aesthetically pleasing, "fast paced" game that casuals love, but it's trash basketball.

But there's no denying that PGs are by far the most important players in basketball now. Kawhi, etc are a dying breed, even if their style of basketball is technically more difficult and more impressive. People don't want to watch a post-game anymore. They want to see chucked 3s off the dribble, a la Wardell.

Kawhi's antiquated style is looking a lot better than IT's or Chuckbrook's style, tbqh.

lefty
04-18-2017, 09:48 PM
CP3 is the last of a dying breed ...

Silver&Black
04-18-2017, 09:49 PM

better than Parker, tbh.

lefty
04-18-2017, 09:54 PM
better than Parker, tbh.

I'm gonna give you a fucking medal for stating the obvious

Silver&Black
04-18-2017, 09:57 PM
I'm gonna give you a fucking medal for stating the obviousThanks lefty for the medal. And I'm gonna teach you how to embed tweets in exchange for the medal.

04-18-2017, 10:01 PM
Yep. In :lol today's NBA all you need to know in order to run an offense is how to call for a high pick n roll..

midnightpulp
04-18-2017, 10:04 PM
Yep. In :lol today's NBA all you need to know in order to run an offense is how to call for a high pick n roll..

See. You can make cogent points when you're not focused on emoticons. :tu

midnightpulp
04-18-2017, 10:08 PM
Kawhi's antiquated style is looking a lot better than IT's or Chuckbrook's style, tbqh.

It's not sustainable. I think he's shooting something like 70% from the mid-range in the series.

Keep in mind I'm not criticizing his style of play because I dislike it. I just know it can't "mathematically" keep pace over a series against players who can chuck 3s at volume at >33%.

If he continues to get the line, he can off-set that disadvantage, but he won't get calls against Golden State, the league's Western Conference baby.

midnightpulp
04-18-2017, 10:18 PM
It's not sustainable. I think he's shooting something like 70% from the mid-range in the series.

Keep in mind I'm not criticizing his style of play because I dislike it. I just know it can't "mathematically" keep pace over a series against players who can chuck 3s at volume at >33%.

If he continues to get the line, he can off-set that disadvantage, but he won't get calls against Golden State, the league's Western Conference baby.

N/M. He's shooting 100% (11/11) from midrange. :lol

Definitely not sustainable.

Simply amazing, though. Easily the best offensive player in basketball because he actually has to work for shots.

apalisoc_9
04-18-2017, 10:37 PM
Kawhi is like one of the top 3 offensive players in the league. The things that he has to do to even get a shot is crazy.

To be that efficient i this current spur system is bunkers.

Clipper Nation
04-18-2017, 10:38 PM
:lol Meanwhile, Porker stans still think Kawhi is a "role player."

apalisoc_9
04-18-2017, 10:45 PM
Crazy how there isn't a single article about how Dominant Kawhi has been offensively this year.

Only Westbrook has a tougher situation as far as getting shot is concenred...at least for the top 6 players in the league.

lefty
04-18-2017, 11:08 PM
Thanks lefty for the medal. And I'm gonna teach you how to embed tweets in exchange for the medal.

:lol

04-19-2017, 11:16 AM
See. You can make cogent points when you're not focused on emoticons. :tu
My points are always cogent tbh, you're just on the wrong side of the argument most of the times

But hey, maybe I'll be able to say the same about you when you're done being "pulled back in" by porker :lol

lebomb
04-19-2017, 11:30 AM

EXACTLY!!!!!! :worthy: Thread response of this young 2017 so far.

DMC
04-19-2017, 05:03 PM
Kawhi isn't the best offensive player in the game, else he wouldn't have to work so hard to get points. He's incredibly efficient though, and could become the best offensive player in the game if a certain fat french faggot and a short bearded aborigine midget would pass him the fucking ball more often.

lebomb
04-19-2017, 07:37 PM
Kawhi isn't the best offensive player in the game, else he wouldn't have to work so hard to get points. He's incredibly efficient though, and could become the best offensive player in the game if a certain fat french faggot and a short bearded aborigine midget would pass him the fucking ball more often.

So you are asking him to be WB who you hate :rolleyes

DMC
04-19-2017, 08:46 PM
So you are asking him to be WB who you hate :rolleyes

Right, because Kawhi is a point guard who turns the ball over 10 times a game and cares more about stats than winning. That's it ledumbass

midnightpulp
04-20-2017, 12:04 AM
My points are always cogent tbh, you're just on the wrong side of the argument most of the times

But hey, maybe I'll be able to say the same about you when you're done being "pulled back in" by porker :lol

Like when?

Patty vs. Parker? Okay :lol

You and the Helmet crew's "logic" is to break up the best bench unit in the league per on/off and nearly every metric you can think of to experiment by starting a "PG" who isn't even a real PG.

And Patty is looking real good against Memphis :tu

DMC
04-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Like when?

Patty vs. Parker? Okay :lol

You and the Helmet crew's "logic" is to break up the best bench unit in the league per on/off and nearly every metric you can think of to experiment by starting a "PG" who isn't even a real PG.

And Patty is looking real good against Memphis :tu

If you watched the Houston/OKC game last night you saw about 28 minutes of out of control basketball with zero coach concern (or at least no corrective measures). That's the difference between SA and other teams with better overall talent than SA. You can put the best players in the world on the court playing shit ball and they'll lose until their opponent reverts to shit ball as well at which time the more talented shit ballers will win. SA plays controlled baskeball for the most part, with some excursions into shit ball that quickly gets squashed by Pop. You can credit that to anyone you like, but it's a Spurs system effect, not a particular player.

Shit ballers can go on a 30-2 run because they play off of momentum mostly. Controlled ballers will allow a few small runs but will not allow a huge run most of the time. They can go on a run with momentum as well, but mostly they rely on their opponent reverting to shit ball to try to stem the blood loss. Shit ball leads to an avalanche of points by the controlled ballers since there's no defense, and it's not even the SSOL scheme which is an intentional quick pace/low defense scheme (relying on great shooting and ball movement).

Most of the league is rife with shit ball. Only a few teams have any real controlled basketball. We know who they are. For the others, their coaches say "come on now, we need energy. Go do it, come on now, let's go, let's go" instead of sitting down with a white board and pointing out flaws and making corrections. Mike D is a cheerleader, so is the OKC coach. Not sure either has a choice, but they are cheerleaders, not coaches. Mike has a good system, but he's not a good coach.

Arcadian
04-20-2017, 11:16 AM

And yet the best 3 players in the league are SFs, with Kawhi (arguably the #1) doing most of his damage in the midrange/post/defense.

:toast Kawhi keeping the league healthy

Seventyniner
04-20-2017, 01:22 PM
And yet the best 3 players in the league are SFs, with Kawhi (arguably the #1) doing most of his damage in the midrange/post/defense.

:toast Kawhi keeping the league healthy

Even then Durant is mostly perimeter-oriented, with Kawhi and LeBron being pretty balanced in terms of jumpers and post-ups.

I think the point was more that you have to go distressingly far down the list of the best players in the league to find a big man who works even half the time in the low block.

Arcadian
04-20-2017, 02:49 PM
Even then Durant is mostly perimeter-oriented, with Kawhi and LeBron being pretty balanced in terms of jumpers and post-ups.

I think the point was more that you have to go distressingly far down the list of the best players in the league to find a big man who works even half the time in the low block.

Well, the point I was responding to was that PGs are the most valuable position in the league.

But even if that's not true, we're still seeing a "downsizing" - 10 years ago, the top 3 players were PFs (Duncan/Garnett/Dirk), and 20 years ago they were centers (Shaq/Hakeem/Dave). So they're gradually getting smaller :lol

TD 21
04-20-2017, 03:28 PM
Well, the point I was responding to was that PGs are the most valuable position in the league.

But even if that's not true, we're still seeing a "downsizing" - 10 years ago, the top 3 players were PFs (Duncan/Garnett/Dirk), and 20 years ago they were centers (Shaq/Hakeem/Dave). So they're gradually getting smaller :lol

You definitely need an elite primary ball handler to have a top offense, but it doesn't have to be in the form of a small guard. Teams led by small guards almost always have a limited ceiling and the only ones who have been the best players on championship teams, are Thomas, Billups and Curry. The first two were more ensemble casts and the latter's play has been relatively subpar in back to back Finals, though he was not at 100% in the last one. But that's another issue with them: the slightest injury can greatly diminish their value.

Despite what the league and their partners try to sell the no nothing casuals, who supposedly "can't relate" to most NBA players, this sport will always be about size and not just power forwards and centers. Johnson, Bird, Jordan, Bryant, James, were/are all big for their position. The difference between now and the past is, the way the size is utilized has evolved. This started with Webber, Garnett, Wallace, Duncan, Nowitzki, Gasol and has carried on to Durant, Griffin, Cousins, Davis, Antetokounmpo, Embiid, Towns, Jokic.

SpursFan86
04-20-2017, 05:56 PM

While I agree with your general point, 3 of the top 5 players in the league are still non-PGs (LeBron, Kawhi, KD)...I still think wings are more important. PGs have a tendency to get slowed down in the playoffs when other teams throw length at them.

How many times has a PG led a team to a title as the clear-cut best player on the team? Curry did it in 2015, but when was the last time it happened before that? Isiah?

illusioNtEk
04-20-2017, 06:10 PM
Gary Payton best PG ever

in his prime of course

Chris
04-20-2017, 06:46 PM
Gary Payton best PG ever

in his prime of course

Gary Payton just picked Raymond as his DPoY :lol

Down Under
04-20-2017, 06:48 PM
Curry is still the only PG that can consistently hit 3's off the dribble, he's just a freak. Obviously the 3 point line isn't fair in the sense that the shot is worth 50% more but not 50% more in terms of difficulty.