PDA

View Full Version : What's the SG plan over the summer, tbh...?

ElNono
04-18-2017, 10:05 PM
We have Danny under contract and we don't know if Manu is retiring or coming back (give or take $10m).

Does Simmons stick around? Pay Mills to play the 2? Give Jimmer another shot?

Brazil
04-18-2017, 10:07 PM
:lol you could have called this thread what's the backcourt plan tbh not just SG

Play Boban
04-18-2017, 10:13 PM
Resign manure for the max tbh.

TheDoctor
04-18-2017, 10:18 PM
Wet dream.

Sign and trade for Giannis. Both, Kawhi and Antetokounmpo can switch between Sg/Sf depending on matchups. New Age Jordan and Pippen tbh.

:lobt2:

Floyd Pacquiao
04-18-2017, 10:21 PM
:lol Forbes

spurraider21
04-18-2017, 10:25 PM
hanga

DAF86
04-18-2017, 10:30 PM
Manu for the vet min and a promising youngster on a rookie contract would be the ideal situation considering we have to spend money on bigger needs (Mills or another PG, Dedmon or another C, and hopefully a reliable backup SF).

TheGreatYacht
04-18-2017, 10:59 PM
If PATFO pay Deadman :lol .....

apalisoc_9
04-18-2017, 11:03 PM
Probably bring hanga twp years with a team option.

Won't surprise me if they try to sign teodosic.

SpursforSix
04-18-2017, 11:09 PM
:pop: I'll see who has pictures of my privates and take it from there.

TheGreatYacht
04-18-2017, 11:21 PM
JJ Redick off the bench. Let Fatty Mills, Deadman, & Simmons walk.

Bench:
Murray/TP, Redick, Anderson, Bertans, Gasol

Seventyniner
04-18-2017, 11:32 PM
hanga

Perhaps Green starting, Simmons as backup at a reasonable price, Hanga as third string on a small contract. Would depend on the Spurs getting a playmaker as backup PG though.

gambit1990
04-18-2017, 11:38 PM
good question.

simmons is more likely to leave than patty imo. i think simmons has a chance not just to get more money, but more PT.

gambit1990
04-18-2017, 11:45 PM
if manu wants to resign i let him rest/practice his 3 and don't play him until a few games before the all star break.

MaNu4Tres
04-19-2017, 12:27 AM
As I've said before, I don't see any team investing a multi year deal for Simmons. He needs more consistency and proof to warrant a 2-3 year deal for 20-24 mil. ( I could be wrong)

There's also a slim chance Manu comes back.

That being said, I can see Simmons re-signing for a 1+1 deal more than I can see Spurs re-sign Patty for a 4 yr 44-50 million dollar deal. There's a slim chance, but a chance Manu comes back. There's also Hanga -- who likely is coming over. And there's the draft, the cheap FA bin, and the undrafted FA market.

LittleCriminal
04-19-2017, 12:28 AM
Next years starters:
Dedmon
Aldridge
Bertans
Green
Kawhi

Bench:
Gasol
Lee
Anderson
Simmons
Parker

dabom
04-19-2017, 12:30 AM
Next years starters:
Dedmon
Aldridge
Bertans
Green
Kawhi

Bench:
Gasol
Lee
Anderson
Simmons
Parker

No pg dude.

SAGirl
04-19-2017, 12:40 AM
good question.

simmons is more likely to leave than patty imo. i think simmons has a chance not just to get more money, but more PT.

I agree with this.

I have a hard time seeing him reupped bc his interests and the Spurs don't align. He needs to get paid and maximize what he can get this summer. OTOH, for the Spurs, I think he didn't pan out like they hoped. If he had, he would be in the playoff rotation and maybe had a real breakout season. Despite his opportunities he didn't quite break out outside of a handful of games and thus I can't see them paying much for him. So it's time to part ways IMO.

SAGirl
04-19-2017, 12:48 AM
Next years starters:
Dedmon
Aldridge
Bertans
Green
Kawhi

Bench:
Gasol
Lee
Anderson
Simmons
Parker
You could switch Bertans with Murray in your starters list and that becomes more realistic.

Though honestly Deadman is a FA and we shall see about him.

I'd like to see Lee back myself but Bertans is deserving of minutes and should get more next season.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-19-2017, 01:13 AM
Kobe

LittleCriminal
04-19-2017, 01:51 AM
No pg dude.

Kahwi is the point guard dude

LittleCriminal
04-19-2017, 01:54 AM
You could switch Bertans with Murray in your starters list and that becomes more realistic.

Though honestly Deadman is a FA and we shall see about him.

I'd like to see Lee back myself but Bertans is deserving of minutes and should get more next season.

I could but id rather have leonard run the point and bertans playing the sf spot..

gilmor
04-19-2017, 02:30 AM
If Spurs win it all this year.. Manu will stay for another year..

If not, both Parker and Manu will be gone

ElNono
04-19-2017, 05:59 AM
If Spurs win it all this year.. Manu will stay for another year..

If not, both Parker and Manu will be gone

Tony isn't going anywhere, tbh

ElNono
04-19-2017, 06:01 AM
About Hanga, LJC or De Colo should be a cautionary tales, tbh... It might take a year or more for them to adapt, and some of them might not...

On the other hand, being a backup with such a stacked starting lineup, might make the Spurs take the gamble. Especially if a guy like Pau comes back for another year, since he makes things a lot easier off the bench.

Splits
04-19-2017, 06:31 AM
blow it up, tank for Shareef

vander
04-19-2017, 06:38 AM
there's no money this summer, Summer 2018 will be the fun summer

hopefully

not likely

UNT Eagles 2016
04-19-2017, 07:19 AM
blow it up, tank for Shareef
How can we get a lottery spot and still win 50 games?

DeRozan m8
04-19-2017, 07:26 AM
Kahwi is the point guard dude

M8, this isn't 2k tbh

EIC
04-19-2017, 07:45 AM
Next years starters:
Dedmon
Aldridge
Kawhi
Green
CP3

Bench:
Gasol
Lee
Anderson/Bertans
Simmons
Parker

FIFY

cutewizard
04-19-2017, 08:04 AM
if manu wants to resign i let him rest/practice his 3 and don't play him until a few games before the all star break.

-------------------------------------------------------

:whine

BackHome
04-19-2017, 09:46 AM
I think Murray can replace what Simmons does if he can add about 10pds of muscle this off season. Would like to trade Simmons for a high second round pick if possible. I luv Manu but it's his time to retire and head up our international scouting department. Bringing in Hanga would help our team a lot as he is can play SG and SF. Also want Lee back he is kinda like Mills the glue you neees to win games

$pursDynasty
04-19-2017, 10:48 AM
EIC if only that would be ideal!

tbdog
04-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Regardless of the outcome of the playoffs, head office will have to address the guard position. Mills and Simmons are FA. Manu possibly retiring. Parker aging. Murray maybe ready to start? Forbes still needs work? Regardless what ever decision we make internally on who to keep and who to let go, I just cant imagine all 4 will stay (manu, mills, simmons, forbes). There will be a gap to fill and only a 29th pick. Should be interesting.

SpursBig3s
04-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Probably bring hanga twp years with a team option.

Won't surprise me if they try to sign teodosic.

There was a report online about Spurs not pursuing Teodosic

Chinook
04-19-2017, 11:40 AM
Likely going to be bringing the main guard rotation back and bringing in Hanga and/or a draft pick to compete with Forbes and maybe Simmons.

Dex
04-19-2017, 11:43 AM
CP3
Hill
Green
Leonard
Aldridge

League fucked.

SAGirl
04-19-2017, 12:37 PM
Likely going to be bringing the main guard rotation back and bringing in Hanga and/or a draft pick to compete with Forbes and maybe Simmons.
Which is why Simmons is a goner.
He is beyond the point where he will stay to continue to compete with others. He's reached the CoJo stage of his career. It's time to go somewhere that pays him to play a role. (It's arguable CoJo was a better player when he became a RFA... his numbers were in the positive, he was steady all season and started a bunch of games his last season bc that season both Tony and Mills were through injuries, etc)... + he was younger. But they are basically at the same spot in terms of wanting an established rotation spot and a role.

Whether Simmons can get that from some team, I don't know but there are horrible wings everywhere. Heck the Grizzlies themselves don't have much in wings. If Simmons stays he's going to get paid (within reason for the Spurs but it should be a fair market deal) and he's getting minutes. I don't know that the Spurs are there with him. He's fallen off for a second season in a row as the season wore on.

I think the issue is the Spurs are strapped and don't have many options to add talent, specially talent with some experience so I know your concern. In reality, it's tough to say, maybe reupping Simmons is the best they can do, but I think Simmons is looking for deal plus minutes and won't stay to be subject to competition with Murray, Hanga, a rook, still Anderson etc. ...

cd021
04-19-2017, 12:52 PM
Draft Josh Hart. Seems like a ready 3 and D 2 guard.

Mills, Simmons (assuming he's back), Anderson, Bertans, Gasol

Parker-Mills, Murray
Green-Simmons-Hart-Murray-Forbes
Leonard-Anderson-Hart
Aldridge-Bertans-Anderson
Lee-Gasol-Milutinov

Expect Dedmon to bold, Lee to be resigned and start with Aldridge, Simmons and Mills to return, Murray to get minutes at both guard spots, Anderson to get minutes at the 3 and 4, Bertans to be LMA's backup, Gasol to be the co-focal point off the bench, and Milutinov to come over.

Not a bad team tbh.

tbdog
04-19-2017, 01:54 PM
Spurs have 82 mil tied up with our starting 5. Then 7.5 tied up with Anderson, Bertans, Murray, plus TD and LJC, plus further 1.3mil non guarantee on Forbes. So that's about 91 mil for 9 players. Salary cap is est to be 102 mil. So that's 11 mil to play with, not including cap holds on Lee Dedmon, simmons, mills, and no bird rights on Lee and Dedmon. So Head office will need to be nifty with their moves. Sign a trade for example. So for anyone who thinks we can get George Hill with this much space is out of luck. Not without dumping Parker. For example, Pacers may lose Teague and going after Mills would be ideal. There is a good chance they will be willing to give us Ellis to get out of the contract from an off year. But then again Tyrke Evans could be had for a Lee like deal. There are five teams that could offer decent money to Mills. Pacers, Pistons, Knicks, Kings and Pelicans.

If you have a look at this off season free agent market, there are a bunch of huge names. But after that, there are only three decent names that are Spurs like players, Gallanari, Hill, and Redick, and both will command much much more than Spurs could muster without dumping Parker, and a not chance Clippers or Nuggets or Jazz would part with them for Mills, Dedmon, or Simmons.

Long story short, what I think is the most realistic off season would be that Manu retires regardless if we win the title or not. Simmons and Dedmon walk. Mills and Lee resign at a friendly loyalty contract. Splitter and Tyrke Evans signs on small deals. Plus probably a flyer on someone like Adrien Payne or Humphries or veterans like Vince Carter, Justin Holiday, Brandon Rush.

Chinook
04-19-2017, 02:32 PM
The Spurs shouldn't even think of cap space unless Pau opts out or they intend to trade him. The exceptions are just too big this year to worry about it.

coachmac87
04-19-2017, 03:19 PM
The Spurs shouldn't even think of cap space unless Pau opts out or they intend to trade him. The exceptions are just too big this year to worry about it.

CP3 will be a Spur

TD 21
04-19-2017, 04:22 PM
I actually consider this the biggest off season question mark, for the simple fact that there's a lack of depth under contract, coupled with a lack of assets and flexibility with which to add quality to it.

If, as expected, Ginobili retires, I could see them reaching out to Evans (probably out of their price range, if Mills and Dedmon re-sign), Carter and Meeks. There's been conflicting reports on whether they're interested in Teodosic, with the last one being no. If healthy, they might take a flier on Vasquez. Hart seems the only possible plug and play option in the Draft.

I said this yesterday about Simmons . . .

At his best, Simmons is better than Anderson, but he's been terrible the past few months and the best that can be hoped for is either not killing them in spot minutes. The bigger issue is Ginobili, who has to be able to provide a solid low 20's minutes to render these two mostly irrelevant.

Simmons probably isn't getting re-signed, especially if Mills is re-signed. He clearly has an inflated sense of self worth, doesn't seem all that coachable and probably won't be amendable to a fringe rotation role going forward until a few more stops down the line when he's forced to accept his role in the league. They probably won't want to pay him a decent amount to be that either, not when they've got Murray waiting in the wings and Hanga as a possible option overseas.

SAGirl
04-19-2017, 07:19 PM
I don't know if guys had seen this, but Hanga made a statement earlier this year similar to the one Davis Bertans made the past season, in being explicit that he was coming to the NBA this season (as it eventually happened.)

I am starting to think that Hanga joining the team is for real.

"It is my intention to play in the NBA next season. I am 27 years old and believe this is the right moment."
http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/spurs-2011-draft-pick-adam-hanga-intends-to-come-to-the-nba-next-season

BillMc
04-19-2017, 07:25 PM
I don't know if guys had seen this, but Hanga made a statement earlier this year similar to the one Davis Bertans made the past season, in being explicit that he was coming to the NBA this season (as it eventually happened.)

I am starting to think that Hanga joining the team is for real.

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/spurs-2011-draft-pick-adam-hanga-intends-to-come-to-the-nba-next-season

Is he any good? I haven't followed this pick at all. He'd be a 2 or 3 for us?

gambit1990
04-19-2017, 07:25 PM
sign livingston rc.

gambit1990
04-19-2017, 07:26 PM
I haven't followed this pick at all.
same. i know nothing about the guy.

Chinook
04-19-2017, 07:31 PM

Check he Hanga thread in the TT. Lots of good info on him from the past few seasons. I think he is good, but you can't ever know how a player will adjust to the NBA game. Could do worse for a fifth wing for sure, I think.

BillMc
04-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Check he Hanga thread in the TT. Lots of good info on him from the past few seasons. I think he is good, but you can't ever know how a player will adjust to the NBA game. Could do worse for a fifth wing for sure, I think.
Thanks. Will do.

SAGirl
04-19-2017, 08:37 PM
In reality I only know a few things about him.
He played with Davis last season actually and was a very good player for that team. He was I think runner up or came in 3rd for DPOY in the Euroleague.
He's a big time defensive player in Europe as far as I know. He's a good athlete, not like Simmons, bc Simmons is an elite athlete, that's his talent. But Hanga is a good athlete too. He's much like Simmons in not being that much of a shooter though. I think he could be fine for the Spurs if they don't reup Simmons. He's an experienced player so like Davis I expect him to look more seasoned than an average rookie.

Maybe someone can add more.

BillMc
04-19-2017, 08:41 PM
He played with Davis last season actually and was a very good player for that team. He was I think runner up or came in 3rd for DPOY in the Euroleague.
He's a big time defensive player in Europe as far as I know. He's a good athlete, not like Simmons, bc Simmons is an elite athlete, that's his talent. But Hanga is a good athlete too. He's much like Simmons in not being that much of a shooter though. I think he could be fine for the Spurs if they don't reup Simmons. He's an experienced player so like Davis I expect him to look more seasoned than an average rookie.

Cheers:toast Many thanks for the scouting report. Now I really want to see Hanga in training camp

BillMc
04-19-2017, 08:46 PM

So, your instincts say Patty stays?

Chinook
04-19-2017, 08:53 PM
I want to see Hanga with Murray, Milutinov, Cady and whomever the Spurs draft in June in the Summer League. He and Simmons are the same age, but he's a lot more experienced than Simmons was and honestly is. As I said, I don't know if he can adjust to the NBA speed, but if he can, he has a role he can play. Maybe the defense of 2012 Green, with a handle a bit better than Simmons and Jon's current stroke.

Again, fifth wing. Could start in place of Green for some games, but I'd hope he wouldn't be the main option at backup two is Manu calls it quits. Big enough to play the three, especially off the bench, but he hopefully won't be better than Anderson if is the dude can get his head out of his ass.

gambit1990
04-19-2017, 08:56 PM
i will never take anyone's word over my eyes.

i hated ray mccallum, was big on bertans.

hanga can play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6rFhelV_tw
great frame, determined.

would even start him over parker and i'll take him over batum.

Chinook
04-19-2017, 08:58 PM
So, your instincts say Patty stays?

I see no upside in letting him go. Obviously, he can choose to leave, but having him there secures one spot on a very fluid bench perimeter. I like the idea of Patty and Murray as the guards with Anderson and Bertans at the forwards and Gasol as the center. Then hopefully, they can have a good defense-first five from this draft waiting to step in once Pau moves on or if Dedmon doesn't re-sign.

DPG21920
04-19-2017, 09:07 PM
Well TP coming off the bench is one thing to consider IF Murray shows he's legit. That would solve a lot of things IMO. I don't like TP with Mills in that setting but I would deal with that later.

Hopefully Murray develops and SA can get another G that is a plus defender (Hanga?). Spurs could be even scarier on defense next year if they can keep Dedmon and/or get another legit defensive C/PF.

GSH
04-19-2017, 10:30 PM

Did you get to see Bertans playing with Bourousis? The two of them were very good together. I was REALLY hoping the Spurs would be able to bring him over along with Bertans this season. I think he has a contract that will basically go to the end of his career, IIRC.

I've got my doubts about Hanga ever coming over. It's just a feeling from some comments over time. And I've never seen any comments from him about wanting to prove himself in the NBA, or anything like that. If he does come over, I will be surprised.

TheDoctor
04-19-2017, 10:40 PM
i will never take anyone's word over my eyes.

i hated ray mccallum, was big on bertans.

hanga can play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6rFhelV_tw
great frame, determined.

would even start him over parker and i'll take him over batum.

HIghlights can be very deceiving but loved his handles and (contrary to Simmons) his body control on penetrations/contact on the lane.

Interesting prospect to replace Simmons.

YGWHI
04-19-2017, 11:14 PM
As I've said before, I don't see any team investing a multi year deal for Simmons. He needs more consistency and proof to warrant a 2-3 year deal for 20-24 mil. ( I could be wrong)

There's also a slim chance Manu comes back.

That being said, I can see Simmons re-signing for a 1+1 deal more than I can see Spurs re-sign Patty for a 4 yr 44-50 million dollar deal. There's a slim chance, but a chance Manu comes back. There's also Hanga -- who likely is coming over. And there's the draft, the cheap FA bin, and the undrafted FA market.

So basically other year of Patty, Simms, maybe Manu, and some unknown euro. With Parker, Danny, and Murray in his sophomore year=playing less minutes than Parker/Mills.

:depressed

DPG21920
04-19-2017, 11:17 PM
So basically other year of Patty, Simms, maybe Manu, and some unknown euro. With Parker, Danny, and Murray in his sophomore year=playing less minutes than Parker/Mills.

With all those guys this year SA had the 2nd best record and looks poised to win at least 1 playoff series. If Murray develops and gets a more prominent role that would be a pretty good thing to add to this current team.

YGWHI
04-19-2017, 11:30 PM
With all those guys this year SA had the 2nd best record and looks poised to win at least 1 playoff series.
I'd like to have a strong-combo guard that allow the Spurs to win more than 1 playoff series

If Murray develops and gets a more prominent role that would be a pretty good thing to add to this current team.

I cant see Murray getting ton of minutes on court to develop his game if the Spurs decide to pay Patty

MaNu4Tres
04-19-2017, 11:57 PM

I don't think Patty comes back. Spurs are very very high on Murray at the PG position (not SG). It will be his role next year. IMO.

Hanga comes over, Manu maybe comes back, Simmons might be back and you have the draft and FA market. They'll be fine at SG. As long as you realize they'll never ever have another prime Manu again at the back up SG spot. And that's okay, because Murray will be taking over the play-making/ Manu role but as the point guard.

DPG21920
04-20-2017, 12:00 AM
I don't think Patty comes back. Spurs are very very high on Murray at the PG position (not SG). It will be his role next year. IMO.

Hanga comes over, Manu maybe comes back, Simmons might be back and you have the draft and FA market. They'll be fine at SG. As long as you realize they'll never ever have another prime Manu again at the SG spot. And that's okay, because Murray will be taking over the play-making/ Manu role but as the point guard.

Maybe we see Murray come in for TP as first guard sub. Then Mills in for Danny and then slide Murray to SG so you have the Mills/Murray tandem.

MaNu4Tres
04-20-2017, 12:04 AM
Maybe we see Murray come in for TP as first guard sub. Then Mills in for Danny and then slide Murray to SG so you have the Mills/Murray tandem.

It's a possibility for sure, but I just don't think the money makes sense to bring back Mills unless Mills takes a massive pay cut. And I'd figure they want to expedite Murrays growth at defending and playing the PG since Tony's time is ticking. No better way doing that by giving him the keys. Economically it makes sense to preserve the money Mills would receive for the following summer to bring in a bigger/more relevant piece.

dabom
04-20-2017, 12:04 AM
There is only room for Patty/Porker or Patty/Murray or Murray/Porker. Murray/Porker is the worst one of the 3 though.

MaNu4Tres
04-20-2017, 12:12 AM
Murray is ready for a role and he has the highest ceiling of the 3, and he will get paid 1/10th -1/15th of Parker's salary and 1/10th-1/15th of Mills presumed salary. It's Mills or Parker. Murray is a no brainer.

dabom
04-20-2017, 12:15 AM
I'm all for shipping porker to NY after we win the ship this year.

MaNu4Tres
04-20-2017, 12:17 AM

We will find out in 10 weeks what their plan is. They won't be trading Parker though.

dabom
04-20-2017, 12:19 AM
Patty is the best fit for Kawhi. I know he's gonna be pissed if we lose Patty and keep porker.

MaNu4Tres
04-20-2017, 12:26 AM
Patty is the best fit for Kawhi. I know he's gonna be pissed if we lose Patty and keep porker.

Kawhi will be fine. It's up to how high Spurs are on Murray and I know they are very very high. But if they really believe Murray is their next " guy", Patty won't be back -- doesn't make sense to pay that much money for an expendable role. Forbes is part of the equation as well.

dabom
04-20-2017, 12:28 AM
Kawhi will be fine. It's up to how high Spurs are on Murray and I know they are very very high. But if they really believe Murray is their next " guy", Patty won't be back. You can book that.

You said a lot of ifs. Kinda didn't say anything. Can I get a definite? :lol

dabom
04-20-2017, 12:30 AM
The way the NBA is set up, you need shooters and 3 point shooters. Spurs would have to be fucking morons to lose Patty and keep porker. I wouldn't mind regulating porker to 3rd string but that doesn't make sense money wise.

MaNu4Tres
04-20-2017, 12:32 AM
The way the NBA is set up, you need shooters and 3 point shooters. Spurs would have to be fucking morons to lose Patty and keep porker. I wouldn't mind regulating porker to 3rd string but that doesn't make sense money wise.

You do need shooters, but shooters are a dime a dozen and the skill is getting better and better across the board at every position. What is more valuable is getting two-way players, players who can shoot but that aren't a liability defensively.

Shooting can be expendable. It was for Roger Mason, it was for Gary Neal, and it can be for Patty.

If I'm the Spurs, I preserve the 11-15 mil going to Patty, and use it the following off-season. If I'm spending 10+ mil on a player, that player better be a two- way player.

dabom
04-20-2017, 12:37 AM
Most 2way players are max players, and no, danny is not a 2way player. :lol Chinook

gambit1990
04-20-2017, 12:39 AM
There is only room for Patty/Porker or Patty/Murray or Murray/Porker. Murray/Porker is the worst one of the 3 though.

didn't jackson recently say porzingis isn't untouchable? :lol

we should take advantage of that fool.

dabom
04-20-2017, 12:44 AM
didn't jackson recently say porzingis isn't untouchable? :lol

we should take advantage of that fool.

Porker can satisfy his washed up pg fetish now that rose is injured. :lol

MaNu4Tres
04-20-2017, 12:46 AM
Most 2way players are max players, and no, danny is not a 2way player. :lol Chinook

Nah, not all.

Danny is a one of the best and very good 3&D guy ( he's a 2 way player). Those are the type of players you need because they're not as saturated as shooters who have liabilities on the defensive end..

I'd rather spend 10-14 mil for another Danny than pay Mills. You need wings that can defend in the modern NBA. The Warriors aren't going anywhere the next 5 years, Spurs need another quality wing that can play both ends to help out Danny and Kawhi.

Kyle and Simmons are not the answers. Maybe Hanga is.

DPG21920
04-20-2017, 12:49 AM
Put it this way: If Mills were anywhere close to as good as Danny SA would be pretty close to a favorite to win it all.

dabom
04-20-2017, 12:51 AM
Patty is already a better player for fucksake. :lmao

Danny is still getting subbed out for manu to close out games. 40 year old fucking manu. :lmao

MaNu4Tres
04-20-2017, 12:55 AM
Patty is already a better player for fucksake. :lmao

Danny is still getting subbed out for manu to close out games. 40 year old fucking manu. :lmao

You're trolling or you're an idiot. I know you're not an idiot, so I guess its just your trolling emoji happy shtick.

dabom
04-20-2017, 12:58 AM
You're trolling or you're an idiot. I know you're not an idiot, so I guess its just your trolling emoji happy shtick.

Thanks for the show of confidence. :lol

And I never troll.

DPG21920
04-20-2017, 12:58 AM
^ he's a great guy, don't get me wrong, but dont just assume he's not a dummy

tbdog
04-20-2017, 03:54 AM
We need shooters, but we also need someone to break down the defense. Parker can't get in the lane if his mid range isn't falling.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-20-2017, 04:40 AM
We need shooters, but we also need someone to break down the defense. Parker can't get in the lane if his mid range isn't falling.

Leonard

tbdog
04-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Leonard

Parker in his prime, broke down the defence better than Leonard has ever done, despite Leonard right now is better than Parker ever was. There is just something about smaller and faster players getting into the lane.

TheGreatYacht
04-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Fatty Mills is on a one way trip to Philly tbh :lol him and that white American PG will battle for the starting spot lmfao

SAGirl
04-20-2017, 12:53 PM
Did you get to see Bertans playing with Bourousis? The two of them were very good together. I was REALLY hoping the Spurs would be able to bring him over along with Bertans this season. I think he has a contract that will basically go to the end of his career, IIRC.

I've got my doubts about Hanga ever coming over. It's just a feeling from some comments over time. And I've never seen any comments from him about wanting to prove himself in the NBA, or anything like that. If he does come over, I will be surprised.
Did you see the comment Hanga made above in the link I posted? I wasn't convinced he was coming over either bc he had never made an aggressive push to get to the NBA, I agree... but he has now said that it's time and that he's coming over... very explicit.

It's possible he has been encouraged to come over bc the Spurs need bodies and are pushing him to join the team. I think before, the Spurs were content with him playing in Europe. Considering he wasn't ever a dangerous 3 pt shooter I think Spurs were not super hot on bringing him to play over anybody that they had at the time. However, the situation has changed bc right now, they need bodies with Manu possibly retiring and frankly he might not be that different from this seasons' Simmons, who also can't shoot (and they may not reup).

For Bourousis, I only saw some highlights from the games. They were both impressive. Bourousis did make a career choice to stay in Europe.

TD 21
04-20-2017, 03:04 PM
You do need shooters, but shooters are a dime a dozen and the skill is getting better and better across the board at every position. What is more valuable is getting two-way players, players who can shoot but that aren't a liability defensively.

Shooting can be expendable. It was for Roger Mason, it was for Gary Neal, and it can be for Patty.

If I'm the Spurs, I preserve the 11-15 mil going to Patty, and use it the following off-season. If I'm spending 10+ mil on a player, that player better be a two- way player.

Not all shooters are created equal. Mills has a lightning quick release and is proficient at making them off the dribble. That's rare and therefore not easily replaceable.

I get all your reasons for not wanting to re-sign him except for the notion of preserving money. If something significant arises in a year and he's as valuable a commodity as many think, then they should have no trouble salary dumping him, a la Splitter and Diaw.

DPG21920
04-20-2017, 03:42 PM
Not all shooters are created equal. Mills has a lightning quick release and is proficient at making them off the dribble. That's rare and therefore not easily replaceable.

I get all your reasons for not wanting to re-sign him except for the notion of preserving money. If something significant arises in a year and he's as valuable a commodity as many think, then they should have no trouble salary dumping him, a la Splitter and Diaw.

Proficient at scoring off the dribble? Dude is assisted on nearly 80%! Of his shots.

UZER
04-20-2017, 03:58 PM
Is this where the brilliant front office waste three years by keeping Murray deep on the bench to prevent his stock from rising too high so we don't lose him? :lol

TD 21
04-20-2017, 04:24 PM
Proficient at scoring off the dribble? Dude is assisted on nearly 80%! Of his shots.

He essentially plays shooting guard or at least combo guard on offense, but he's still one of the better off the dribble three-point shooters in the league.

Seventyniner
04-20-2017, 04:33 PM

It took a while but I finally found the numbers for pull-up shooting on NBA.com.

http://stats.nba.com/players/shots-general/#!?Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&GeneralRange=Pullups&TeamID=1610612759

Parker is much better on pull-up twos than Mills (46.1% vs 38.0%), while Mills is very good on pull-up threes (42.6%); Parker doesn't shoot pull-up threes (6 attempts all season).

Not sure how to take drives into account, but Mills doesn't seem to create layups off of penetration, instead he gets many of those off of cuts.

DPG21920
04-20-2017, 04:37 PM
It took a while but I finally found the numbers for pull-up shooting on NBA.com.

http://stats.nba.com/players/shots-general/#!?Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&GeneralRange=Pullups&TeamID=1610612759

Parker is much better on pull-up twos than Mills (46.1% vs 38.0%), while Mills is very good on pull-up threes (42.6%); Parker doesn't shoot pull-up threes (6 attempts all season).

Not sure how to take drives into account, but Mills doesn't seem to create layups off of penetration, instead he gets many of those off of cuts.

Exactly. Mills only scores in the paint when assisted. He doesn't have the handle to get into the paint off the dribble and finish.

Mills is just not proficient at creating for himself. TP is. Mills is assisted on most of his scores and even though his pull up 3PT% is solid, it's so few attempts per game, that it's not a big part of what he does. TP take a lot of pull up twos and does decent at them. That is TP's game.

Also gets into the paint a lot more than Mills even at his advanced age playing against starters.

MaNu4Tres
04-21-2017, 07:27 AM
He essentially plays shooting guard or at least combo guard on offense, but he's still one of the better off the dribble three-point shooters in the league.

There will never be enough volume attached to that one aspect for it to be a significant factor. You're pin-pointing one very small part of his game, that is usually taken away in the playoffs in the halfcourt. The only times he can really get that shot off in the playoffs is in transition when the defense is out numbered or caught on their heels.

As DPG noted, he takes most of his attempts spotting up. Spot up shooting in the NBA is expendable, especially in the modern NBA when more players from every position are getting better and better at shooting. Spurs have proven how expendable one dimensional shooters are from Roger Mason, to Gary Neal and to now potentially Patty Mills.

duncan2k5
04-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Resign Simmons...get Danny, kyle and many all the way the f*co out of here...then shop for a starter

duncan2k5
04-21-2017, 07:38 AM
Exactly. Mills only scores in the paint when assisted. He doesn't have the handle to get into the paint off the dribble and finish.

Mills is just not proficient at creating for himself. TP is. Mills is assisted on most of his scores and even though his pull up 3PT% is solid, it's so few attempts per game, that it's not a big part of what he does. TP take a lot of pull up twos and does decent at them. That is TP's game.

Also gets into the paint a lot more than Mills even at his advanced age playing against starters.

Parley struggles to get into the paint ..what are u talking about? We are OVER parker...I'd love for him to retire so Pop is forced to play Murray...Murray WILL be a star in this league, and a lot of ppl are too stupid to realize...I've been saying the entire season parker will have a few good playoff games, then completely bottom out...now look what happened...and you guys STILL want him back? We have LOW fucking standards for players nowadays..especially when ppl are saying Kyle FUCKING Anderson had a good game last night...SMFH!!!

DPG21920
04-21-2017, 08:34 AM
Parley struggles to get into the paint ..what are u talking about? We are OVER parker...I'd love for him to retire so Pop is forced to play Murray...Murray WILL be a star in this league, and a lot of ppl are too stupid to realize...I've been saying the entire season parker will have a few good playoff games, then completely bottom out...now look what happened...and you guys STILL want him back? We have LOW fucking standards for players nowadays..especially when ppl are saying Kyle FUCKING Anderson had a good game last night...SMFH!!!

You also didn't know Murray was hurt so I take what you say only half serious.

SAGirl
03-11-2018, 02:22 AM
We have Danny under contract and we don't know if Manu is retiring or coming back (give or take $10m).

Does Simmons stick around? Pay Mills to play the 2? Give Jimmer another shot?
50 millions.
Not sure if you were kidding with that, but turned out Nostradamus... :depressed

r0drig0lac
03-11-2018, 04:55 AM
simmons could attack in the pnr, elite first step and get free throws, the fact that he preferred to go somewhere else says a lot about the "spurs culture"

palangi
03-11-2018, 04:38 PM
Move Leonard to the 2. Bring up Blossomgame. Let gay and Blossomgame play the 3.

Leonard and gay start
Green and Blossomgame off the bench

Chinook
03-11-2018, 05:10 PM
Move Leonard to the 2. Bring up Blossomgame. Let gay and Blossomgame play the 3.

Leonard and gay start
Green and Blossomgame off the bench

Leonard to the two might not being a horrible plan if he has to reduce pressure on his quad. Wouldn't start Gay, though. It's bad enough having two players in LMA and Kawhi who like same spots on the floor. Having three would be even worse. I'd rather start Bertans or Blossomgame in this scenario (which I assume involves Anderson leaving).

SAGirl
03-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Leonard to the two might not being a horrible plan if he has to reduce pressure on his quad. Wouldn't start Gay, though. It's bad enough having two players in LMA and Kawhi who like same spots on the floor. Having three would be even worse. I'd rather start Bertans or Blossomgame in this scenario (which I assume involves Anderson leaving).
Will Lamarcus possibly be on the trading block? Frankly I have been thinking if they are going to blow it up... have to start at the top. Him and Kiwi have t exactly meshed.

I am not predicting anything for the record. I really don’t know what they are thinking of this season but they got to be thinking something

dabom
03-11-2018, 05:22 PM
Will Lamarcus possibly be on the trading block? Frankly I have been thinking if they are going to blow it up... have to start at the top. Him and Kiwi have t exactly meshed.

I am not predicting anything for the record. I really don’t know what they are thinking of this season but they got to be thinking something

The guy that's literally carried the Spurs all year and the Spurs are thinking of trading him? And on a cheap contract. :lol

SAGirl
03-11-2018, 05:29 PM
The guy that's literally carried the Spurs all year and the Spurs are thinking of trading him? And on a cheap contract. :lol
Doesn’t matter if he’s going to be all “ma touches” and unhappy again. Him and Kiwi haven’t exactly meshed.

dabom
03-11-2018, 05:33 PM
Doesn’t matter if he’s going to be all “ma touches” and unhappy again. Him and Kiwi haven’t exactly meshed.

He's not though. So you can stop assuming. :lol

SAGirl
03-11-2018, 05:36 PM
He's not though. So you can stop assuming. :lol
:wakeupI am not assuming, I am speculating, there’s a difference and wondering.

dabom
03-11-2018, 05:39 PM
:wakeupI am not assuming, I am speculating, there’s a difference and wondering.

You're assuming. You do that a lot. You don't know how the FO works and you don't know how LMA works. Speculating means you have some grasp, which you don't. :lol

SAGirl
03-11-2018, 05:56 PM
You're assuming. You do that a lot. You don't know how the FO works and you don't know how LMA works. Speculating means you have some grasp, which you don't. :lol
All I read when you type is bla bla bla emoji, slur, bla bla

dabom
03-11-2018, 06:02 PM
All I read when you type is bla bla bla emoji, slur, bla bla

So didn't prove me wrong? :lol

keithington1
03-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Kieta Bates Diop in the draft looks like he could be a star in the late lottery. If we keep Green, Gay, and Anderson the Spurs defense would be clamps. So much defense versatility with 5 guys. We need to draft a wing as bad with so much uncertainty in our backcourt. We can't mess up on this pick and select James Anderson.

K...
03-11-2018, 08:01 PM
Kieta Bates Diop in the draft looks like he could be a star in the late lottery. If we keep Green, Gay, and Anderson the Spurs defense would be clamps. So much defense versatility with 5 guys. We need to draft a wing as bad with so much uncertainty in our backcourt. We can't mess up on this pick and select James Anderson.

Again, James Anderson was a great player who broke his foot! Not exactly a draft failure in the slightest

sasaint
03-12-2018, 10:57 PM
Again, James Anderson was a great player who broke his foot! Not exactly a draft failure in the slightest

Sample size is too small to call him "great", but he was off to a wonderful start, and I thought we were set with him. I guess he just never really ever got past the injury. Man, that start to his rookie season had me very excited, though. A sad story that guy.