PDA

View Full Version : Somebody needs to keep Popovich accountable

DAF86
04-20-2017, 10:26 PM
That shit he pulled tonight is totally irresponsible. That wasn't good coaching, that wasn't smart, that wasn't anything positive.

That was just a childish tantrum, an emotional move powered by his untouchability and inflated ego.

No other coach in the league would have been able to get away with that. That was easily the worst coaching decision I've seen in quite a while, but we all know he won't get called for it.

His guys are busting his balls out there and he pulls a shit like that. Who's in charge of benching Pop when he's fucking the Spurs up like that?

testies
04-20-2017, 10:28 PM
I coulldn't watch the game, what did he do?

ElNono
04-20-2017, 10:29 PM
He's thrown playoff games before, tbh... we'll see if somebody other than Timmy can save his bacon...

TheGreatYacht
Skip Bayless is the only person that calls him out in the mainstream media.

Can't wait till our beat writers throw him a vanilla question like, "How important is it when Green is hitting his 3's?

hater
We were looking like shit. And gave up 10 points in the first 2 minutes tbh

It wasnt a good move but we didnt lose the game because of it

SPURt
04-20-2017, 10:30 PM
I coulldn't watch the game, what did he do?
He benched all the starters a minute into the 3rd when things went south

testies
04-20-2017, 10:30 PM
poop being poop

Uriel
04-20-2017, 10:31 PM
I also remember Pop losing us Game 5 of the WCF against OKC in both 2012 and 2016.

Seventyniner
04-20-2017, 10:31 PM
That shit he pulled tonight is totally irresponsible. That wasn't good coaching, that wasn't smart, that wasn't anything positive.

That was just a childish tantrum, an emotional move powered by his untouchability and inflated ego.

No other coach in the league would have been able to get away with that. That was easily the worst coaching decision I've seen in quite a while, but we all know he won't get called for it.

His guys are busting his balls out there and he pulls a shit like that. Who's in charge of benching Pop when he's fucking the Spurs up like that?

It looks like you just held him accountable with that chewing out. Do you feel better now?

DAF86
04-20-2017, 10:33 PM
It looks like you just held him accountable with that chewing out. Do you feel better now?

I would feel better if I was able to tell all this to his face.

DPG21920
04-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Coincidence that Manu is benched and this thread "Pops" up? Hmmmmm.

spursfan09
04-20-2017, 10:36 PM
I get benching all the starters but not kawhi...

timtonymanu
04-20-2017, 10:37 PM
Just a caricature of himself at this point. I wouldn't oppose a Pop retirement now.

DAF86
04-20-2017, 10:37 PM
Coincidence that Manu is benched and this thread "Pops" up? Hmmmmm.

Yeah, you sure know me well. :rolleyes

Do you wanna bet Manu would be in at around the 5 minute mark on the next game?

Keepin' it real
04-20-2017, 10:38 PM
Someone needs to keep Popovich accountable

I nominate you. Let him know your thoughts. I'm sure he'd appreciate hearing your point of view.

DPG21920
04-20-2017, 10:38 PM
Yeah, you sure know me well. :rolleyes

Do you wanna bet Manu would be in at around the 5 minute mark on the next game?

I already said that Manu will play next game. What does that have to do with the Pop thread when he benched Manu?

DAF86
04-20-2017, 10:40 PM
I already said that Manu will play next game. What does that have to do with the Pop thread when he benched Manu?

That you somehow think this thread is about Manu when I couldn't give less of a fuck. I'm just calling out Pop on a pretty horrible coaching job and his hypocrite "get over yourself" speech.

DAF86
04-20-2017, 10:42 PM
I nominate you. Let him know your thoughts. I'm sure he'd appreciate hearing your point of view.

Give me a way to contact him, I have no problem to let him have it, tbh. I'm not afraid of him, unlike the US sports media.

DAF86
04-20-2017, 10:52 PM
If only he had a twitter account. I would love to get blocked for a good cause.

james evans
04-20-2017, 10:54 PM
I swear when he retires, whomever comes in is gonna start killing. Him and Larry Brown are 2 of the most over coaching sum bitches I've ever seen in my life. What in the fuck. You're gonna take your best players out of the fucking game in the fuckign 3rd quarter just to prove you're in charge? Who the FUCK does that shit in a playoff game?

Play Boban
04-20-2017, 10:55 PM
That you somehow think this thread is about Manu when I couldn't give less of a fuck. I'm just calling out Pop on a pretty horrible coaching job and his hypocrite "get over yourself" speech.
Poop called that timeout to feed his own ego. He called that timeout to show that HE is the star of this team, not the players, who can be benched at any moment without reason. He told them to get over themselves while he simultaneously inflated his own ego. WHTA A HYPOCRITE! This guy can't get fired soon enough!

Russ
04-20-2017, 10:56 PM
Simmons making a case for more time. I'd love to see it . . .

james evans
04-20-2017, 10:56 PM
Just a caricature of himself at this point. I wouldn't oppose a Pop retirement now.
A female I know told me last week, "Popovoch looks like he doesn't even care anymore or wants to be at the games.."

apalisoc_9
04-20-2017, 11:00 PM
Poop called that timeout to feed his own ego. He called that timeout to show that HE is the star of this team, not the players, who can be benched at any moment without reason. He told them to get over themselves while he simultaneously inflated his own ego. WHTA A HYPOCRITE! This guy can't get fired soon enough!

apalisoc_9
04-20-2017, 11:03 PM
They were only Down 9 with 10 minutes to go in the third.

I know Kawhi wasn't too happy with his decision. Guy basically called it quits after that sub. Every Starter including Pau just gave up.

And you can't tell me they didnt compete. I thought they competed really well in the first half.

Mikeanaro
04-20-2017, 11:21 PM
Is not what he has been always doing?

DAF86
04-20-2017, 11:22 PM
Is not what he has been always doing?

What do you mean?

FkLA
04-20-2017, 11:27 PM
I seriously want to slap the fuck out of him for that.

Preaches getting over oneself yet pulls this crap that no other coach would ever think of doing. Maybe they lose anyway, but they were put at a huge disadvantage just so he could emasculate the starters over a bad two-minute stretch. Holy shit what a fucking faggot, seriously.

Mikeanaro
04-20-2017, 11:28 PM
What do you mean?
Clippers a couple years ago, Patty on Durant last season, dumb subs, bad timing, white flags, lacks of heart/balls when refs are fucking us, they jobbed us 2 games during the last playoffs and nothing to say, this Fizdale faggot screams I WANT HELP FROM REFS and got it while Pop is there like an autistic POS.
The Porker replacement is taking too long and thats on him too, tonight he came back to the dribbling dribbling and the old man is fine with that, when some player is hot he sends the guy to the doghouse, whats his fucking problem? Oh... he can do whatever he wants.

apalisoc_9
04-20-2017, 11:29 PM
I seriously want to slap the fuck out of him for that.

Preaches getting over oneself yet pulls this crap that no other coach would ever think of doing. Maybe they lose anyway, but they were put at a huge disadvantage just so he could emasculate the starters over a bad two-minute stretch. Holy shit what a fucking faggot, seriously.

jimbo
04-20-2017, 11:31 PM
:cry Becky save us :cry

NASpurs
04-20-2017, 11:34 PM
Those legacy contracts be it front office or team personnel are becoming hindrance nowadays.

UZER
04-20-2017, 11:39 PM
A female I know told me last week, "Popovoch looks like he doesn't even care anymore or wants to be at the games.."

He's fucking 68. What 68 year old man gives a shit about anything?

He needs to retire already.

FkLA
04-20-2017, 11:42 PM
Reporter: "Pop you think the game got out hand in the 3rd Qtr."

Pop: "Yeah, within a minute. After two whole turnovers and the lead ballooned to 9. Then went downhill from there. "

The ego on this faggot.

8FOR!3
04-20-2017, 11:43 PM
I thought guys were losing confidence in the 3rd quarter. Being there live it was kind of relieving that we took them out. Our guys played hard and it was not going to go their way tonight. Fizdale did his job, he lit a fire under everyone in Memphis', wether or not the calls in game 2 were bad he made sure the players and the fans were pissed

Chris
04-20-2017, 11:51 PM
Never question CIA Pop you plebs :lol

YGWHI
04-21-2017, 12:41 AM
He's thrown playoff games before, tbh... we'll see if somebody other than Timmy can save his bacon...

Pop benched Tim during his career but he didnt care...He didnt say anything after Pop did it in 2013...Or against Dubs.

But this time, Pop's best player without saying a word let Pop down.

Pop expected Kawhi to take over after benching him? Well, he didnt want to take a single shot.

I wouldnt mess with Kawhi again...

SpursforSix
04-21-2017, 12:44 AM

I'm praying that Carlisle gets tired of rebuilding every year and wants a new scene.

FkLA
04-21-2017, 12:47 AM
Pop benched Tim during his career but he didnt care...He didnt say anything after Pop did it in 2013...Or against Dubs.

But this time, Pop's best player without saying a word let Pop down.

Pop expected Kawhi to take over after benching him? Well, he didnt want to take a single shot.

I wouldnt mess with Kawhi again...

Nah this notion that Kawhi didn't shoot to get back at Pop is dumb. And if it was true it wouldn't be a good thing. He was way too passive, simple as that. He can't do that if he wants to be truly great.

YGWHI
04-21-2017, 12:48 AM
I'm praying that Carlisle gets tired of rebuilding every year and wants a new scene.
Spurs wont have a new head coach until Pop retires. After that we can just pray for Carlisle...But PATFO will say "Who? Nah...Better Messina"

SpursforSix
04-21-2017, 12:50 AM
Spurs wont have a new head coach until Pop retires. After that we can just pray for Carlisle...But PATFO will say "Who? Nah...Better Messina"

Oh yeah...no doubt about not making a move before Pop decides to leave. i just hope it coincides.

YGWHI
04-21-2017, 12:50 AM
Nah this notion that Kawhi didn't shoot to get back at Pop is dumb. And if it was true it wouldn't be a good thing.

No one says is a good thing. In fact, its a BIG issue. Bigger than a playoff loss on the road. And very worrisome

DMC
04-21-2017, 12:53 AM
I get benching all the starters but not kawhi...

Pop never showed any nevermind to which starter he was benching. He coaches them all the same so they all feel just as liable/guilty/credible for things. It's worked, but it looks horrible during the manufacturing process.

FkLA
04-21-2017, 12:56 AM
No one says is a good thing. In fact, its a BIG issue. Bigger than a playoff loss on the road. And very worrisome

It's not true though. Kawhi didn't become a passive aggressive protester overnight. :lol

YGWHI
04-21-2017, 01:02 AM
It's not true though. Kawhi didn't become a passive aggressive protester overnight. :lol

Well, I wouldnt blame him if he did.

Spurs lost game 2 against OKC in the 1st half when Pop benched all starters. Who knows if Kawhi is tired of this shit

SpursforSix
04-21-2017, 01:08 AM
Pop never showed any nevermind to which starter he was benching. He coaches them all the same so they all feel just as liable/guilty/credible for things. It's worked, but it looks horrible during the manufacturing process.

It worked because he had a top 5 player of all time. Who was also a big. Timmys dominance made Pop look like a Genius at times. Pop could do whatever he wanted and at the end of the day, the team was probably going to win. He had prime Duncan. And Manu and Parker. At the time I thought he was a great coach. But in hindsight, he just had better players. Like all the "great" coaches. I'll give him and the FO all the credit for finding the good players and putting a system in place. But give any other decent coach that lineup and they'd still have rings.

DMC
04-21-2017, 01:13 AM
It worked because he had a top 5 player of all time. Who was also a big. Timmys dominance made Pop look like a Genius at times. Pop could do whatever he wanted and at the end of the day, the team was probably going to win. He had prime Duncan. And Manu and Parker. At the time I thought he was a great coach. But in hindsight, he just had better players. Like all the "great" coaches. I'll give him and the FO all the credit for finding the good players and putting a system in place. But give any other decent coach that lineup and they'd still have rings.

That's revisionist history. Pop had Timmy but he also had Patty Mills and Danny Green and a fat Boris Diaw and Stephen Jackson and a host of others who couldn't do shit anywhere else. You cannot say Timmy wasn't carried plenty times by his team.

You can blame Pop for his fuckups but you cannot strip him of all the credit for his wins.

DMC
04-21-2017, 01:15 AM
Nah this notion that Kawhi didn't shoot to get back at Pop is dumb. And if it was true it wouldn't be a good thing. He was way too passive, simple as that. He can't do that if he wants to be truly great.
KL wasn't mad at Pop, I think. He got upset when he'd never get the ball back from Tony after passing it to him. He'd stand there with his arms in the air wide open and Tony would drive into the paint and turn the ball over. It was like "if you want it Kawhi, take it but if you pass back you must not want it".

When KL went over Gasol for the dunk, that was not passive. The fact he couldn't get the ball for quite some time after was problematic. However Pop did call a timeout on the ensuing possession after the dunk, because Memphis scored and the score was 11-10, SA. That likely killed some of KL's fire.

SpursforSix
04-21-2017, 01:25 AM
That's revisionist history. Pop had Timmy but he also had Patty Mills and Danny Green and a fat Boris Diaw and Stephen Jackson and a host of others who couldn't do shit anywhere else. You cannot say Timmy wasn't carried plenty times by his team.

You can blame Pop for his fuckups but you cannot strip him of all the credit for his wins.

I acknowledge that Pop was great at finding players that fit the system and molding them to maximize their efficiency. I'm just saying that he might not be a great in game coach.

DMC
04-21-2017, 01:29 AM
I acknowledge that Pop was great at finding players that fit the system and molding them to maximize their efficiency. I'm just saying that he might not be a great in game coach.

He also won more games than any other coach during that time.

YGWHI
04-21-2017, 01:56 AM
KL wasn't mad at Pop, I think. He got upset when he'd never get the ball back from Tony after passing it to him. He'd stand there with his arms in the air wide open and Tony would drive into the paint and turn the ball over.

We can blame Parker for that...But Pop is the main responsable if the leading scorer didnt get the ball for long stretches.

Pop called OTs after defensive mistakes but couldnt call one to draw a play for Kawhi in a whole quarter?

cutewizard
04-21-2017, 02:26 AM
How about Simmons starting to give added energy?

Danny comes off the bench, he, Mills and Gasol light up the charts, three point-wise?

cutewizard
04-21-2017, 02:36 AM
Guys, I think I am going to have the Bucks as my eastern conference favorite team, second favorite after the Spurs.....

whos with me?

SAGirl
04-21-2017, 02:39 AM
Guys, I think I am going to have the Bucks as my eastern conference favorite team, second favorite after the Spurs.....

whos with me?
Aye :tu
me

cutewizard
04-21-2017, 02:39 AM
The Bucks have something the Spurs lack:

A young Coach, who has the right fire within him, and possibly brimming with new ideas.

Intensity.

A young roster that is hungry..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i54oan9dwJc

cutewizard
04-21-2017, 02:40 AM
Aye :tu
me

-----------------------------------

Thanks man. My heart breaks everytime the Spurs lose....

But I want to have that fan feeling again, during those early years.

The Bucks are gonna be my new gf, hahahahahaha

cutewizard
04-21-2017, 02:41 AM
We should have gotten Kidd during that time, what year was that?

Hmmmmm,

How would Duncan, Manu and Kidd perform? Would they have chemistry?

Snaq O'Meal
04-21-2017, 03:17 AM
We should have gotten Kidd during that time, what year was that?

Hmmmmm,

How would Duncan, Manu and Kidd perform? Would they have chemistry?

Kidd turned Dick Jeff into an All-Star. He would've been fine with the Spurs.

cutewizard
04-21-2017, 04:14 AM
Kidd turned Dick Jeff into an All-Star. He would've been fine with the Spurs.

:bobo

james evans
04-21-2017, 06:31 AM
I'm so sick of parker standing at half court dribbling the ball for 10 seconds of the shot clock then getting the ball to Leonard with 5 seconds left on the clock. Wtf is wrong with him?

Reck
04-21-2017, 07:04 AM
If the team didn't play like absolute garbage to start the game maybe he wouldn't have done it?

What I saw in the first 2 quarters was worst than a D-League game. Kawhi is the only reason why they didn't get blown out from the first minutes.

Why is Manu even still on this team? He's beyond help.

james evans
04-21-2017, 07:16 AM
If the team didn't play like absolute garbage to start the game maybe he wouldn't have done it?

What I saw in the first 2 quarters was worst than a D-League game. Kawhi is the only reason why they didn't get blown out from the first minutes.

Why is Manu even still on this team? He's beyond help.
But people here for some dumb reason want him back for another year. Ginobli and Parker are robbing this team without a gun and mask.

Strategic
04-21-2017, 07:24 AM
But people here for some dumb reason want him back for another year. Ginobli and Parker are robbing this team without a gun and mask.Gino stole the hub caps and Tony took the tires

DMC
04-21-2017, 08:42 AM
There are no legit options outside of Tony and Manu right now. Patty cannot defend for shit, even worse than Tony. Fathead cannot walk and dribble the ball.

This shit actually started in the 2nd half of game 2. The Spurs just relaxed and they haven't picked it back up since, outside of Leonard. The bigs just stand there watching the opponent attack the rim, there's no help defense. You funnel to your bigs and they just open like check valves.

Seventyniner
04-21-2017, 09:08 AM
Well, I wouldnt blame him if he did.

Spurs lost game 2 against OKC in the 1st half when Pop benched all starters. Who knows if Kawhi is tired of this shit

You can't possibly know that. Nobody can. You seem to be saying that once Pop pulled that move there was a 100% chance the Spurs would lose, and if he didn't there was a 100% change the Spurs would win.

Moves like that can be bad in that it decreases win probability, but no move that early in the game can swing it more than a few percentage points.

bklynspursfan
04-21-2017, 09:38 AM
We were looking like shit. And gave up 10 points in the first 2 minutes tbh

It wasnt a good move but we didnt lose the game because of it

This. And when the starters did come back not much changed. Only LMA played worth a dam.

We've seen this work before where not only does it build the bench's confidence, but it lights a fire under the starters watching the lead grow.

We're going to see a diff team tomorrow. This has worked before with Pop. I'm surprised so many people are surprised and so up in arms about it

rjv
04-21-2017, 10:27 AM
But people here for some dumb reason want him back for another year. Ginobli and Parker are robbing this team without a gun and mask. i can handle parker back as a sub (you're not going to get any trade value for him anyway), but manu needs to consider his own lack of drive as a sign that it's time to hang them up.

rjv
04-21-2017, 10:28 AM

Why is Manu even still on this team? He's beyond help. he doesn't even seem to want the ball in his hands and has zero confidence in his shot right now. i keep hoping he'll have one of those stellar games he shows every once in a while but that seems less and less likely.

itzsoweezee
04-21-2017, 11:08 AM
This has worked before with Pop. I'm surprised so many people are surprised and so up in arms about it

Really? When? I remember pop pulling this shit in the playoffs before, but don't remember it actually ever achieving anything. He's got some standard desperation playoff moves. They never pay off from what I recall.

UZER
04-21-2017, 11:11 AM
he doesn't even seem to want the ball in his hands and has zero confidence in his shot right now. i keep hoping he'll have one of those stellar games he shows every once in a while but that seems less and less likely.

Nope. He's wants the ball in the other teams hands.

bklynspursfan
04-21-2017, 11:17 AM
Really? When? I remember pop pulling this shit in the playoffs before, but don't remember it actually ever achieving anything. He's got some standard desperation playoff moves. They never pay off from what I recall.

I would have to go back and find specific series with similar scenarios. But I am 99.9% sure he has benched his guys earlier than most coaches would, and they responded the following game. Like in 2014 against OKC. Game 4, he played the bench the whole 4th quarter. And in game 6 when TP went out, Cojo stepped up and had played quality minutes. Would he have if he didn't play those meaningful minutes when Pop threw in the towel? Who knows.. We saw Simmons hit a few 3s, Bertans, etc... (They also won game 5)

As much as he's letting his main guys watch and take that moment in, he's seeing what he has as well with the young guys in case they're called upon.

SAGirl
04-21-2017, 11:23 AM
I would have to go back and find specific series with similar scenarios. But I am 99.9% sure he has benched his guys earlier than most coaches would, and they responded the following game. Like in 2014 against OKC. Game 4, he played the bench the whole 4th quarter. And in game 6 when TP went out, Cojo stepped up and had played quality minutes. Would he have if he didn't play those meaningful minutes when Pop threw in the towel? Who knows.. We saw Simmons hit a few 3s, Bertans, etc... (They also won game 5)

As much as he's letting his main guys watch and take that moment in, he's seeing what he has as well with the young guys in case they're called upon.
That I agree with. I think he pulled the stunt too early in this game, but the starters were not playing well. I think he still could have mixed in the younger players with Lamarcus and Kawhi and given his 2 best players the opportunity to come back in the game while at the same time giving a look to the younger players.

I agree the game was already getting out of hand b4 Pop seemingly threw the towel. He saw what he saw and I think the play of not just Simmons, and Bertans, but also Kyle and Murray was encouraging.

DMC
04-21-2017, 11:23 AM
We can blame Parker for that...But Pop is the main responsable if the leading scorer didnt get the ball for long stretches.

Pop called OTs after defensive mistakes but couldnt call one to draw a play for Kawhi in a whole quarter?

Pop doesn't dictate who receives the ball on every pass. KL passed out of double coverage and wanted the ball back when he was alone. He rarely got it back. If he's going to be the man, he needs to rip some ass over that. Paul George did, and he's nowhere near KL.

FkLA
05-07-2017, 10:27 PM
Gave up after 3 quarters.

2003 and 2014 WCF Game 6 never happens with today's Poop. He's an egotistical faggot that prefers to emasculate his players instead of letting them attempt an unlikely (but not impossible) comeback

apalisoc_9
05-07-2017, 10:29 PM
16 point deficit against a shooting team with 8:30 left is very possible.

Poop just decided tp quit.

I wonder of anyone in the media will be strong enough to quwstion his stupid ass.

spursistan
05-07-2017, 10:31 PM
Gave up after 3 quarters.

2003 and 2014 WCF Game 6 never happens with today's Poop. He's an egotistical faggot that prefers to emasculate his players instead of letting them attempt an unlikely (but not impossible) comeback

For the first time in this Spurs era, the higher-ups in the front office/ownership may really need to have a talk with Pop..His coaching shticks have definitely reached the stage of professional malpractice ..

duncan2k5
05-07-2017, 10:32 PM
Senility...

dbreiden83080
05-08-2017, 04:25 AM
No coach in any era could get this team to a title. They have a good shot at the WCF and that's the ceiling. Period..