PDA

View Full Version : Game 5 adjustments, tbh...

ElNono
04-22-2017, 10:08 PM
It can't be just hope the refs give us some home cooking, tbh...

Betrans played well, should see more minutes, IMO. Danny needs to contribute more on offense if they're going to drop 50pts by the half.

Maybe Pop will start Manu, that used to be his goto desperation move :lol

ViceCity86
04-22-2017, 10:13 PM
Manu scores a single point, for starters.

apalisoc_9
04-22-2017, 10:17 PM
They don't need that many adjustments. Memphis is an offensively challenged team.

Green-Manu just needs to contribute. If they're sucking again...Pop has to continue with spot minutes from Anderson and Simmons and be ready to play them over manu or Green.

They nees a rim protector to challenge Conley. Dedman seems like a nice solution but he has been so bad..

They might just need to play Gasol more minutes.

midnightpulp
04-22-2017, 10:18 PM
No adjustments.

Don't get outplayed by 60 year olds=win game.

$pursDynasty
Manu in a suit the rest of the series alongside Anthony

dabom
Role players play better at home. Worse on the road. We got this.

Quiet Strength
Bertans..

cd98
Stretch 4 and fan energy.

james evans
04-22-2017, 10:19 PM
don't play ginobli and anderson
bring Green off the bench for Simmons(there is no way he can shoot worse than green who isn't hitting shit)
keep kawhi on the floor at all times when Conley is on the floor
Stop experimenting with Parker guarding conley
STOP PLAYING PARKER AND MILLS TOGETHER

SPURt
Hit open shots.

DarrinS
Perimeter shooting by someone other than Kawhi

kaji157
I was going to say Start Manu, but OP took all the fun from it.

spurtech09
Thunder refs all over again......nothing the Spurs can do.

spurraider21
04-22-2017, 10:20 PM
i would have been scared of playing bertans because zbo would muscle him... but bertans held up just fine physically and we able to deny the ball. he should be getting more of Lee's minutes in this series.

playing Lee against memphis reminds me of paying blair heavy minutes in 2011 :lol

baseline bum
04-22-2017, 10:21 PM
I still like the Spurs shot to wrap this up in six. Memphis barely squeaked out a game at home when they were red hot from the three point line. Not that I expect the Spurs to do much after this round. Championship teams win these kind of games that they don't deserve.

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Manu in a suit the rest of the series alongside Anthony
Please. We shouldn't waste anymore with this guy in this round. 0-15 is unacceptable.

rasuo214
04-22-2017, 10:23 PM
Unless LMA, Danny, Manu, or Patty decide to show up then play Kawhi all 48 minutes and hope he scores 50+ with 10 steals (which automatically means no Anderson). Kawhi and Parker are the only 2 that have done shit this series.

spurraider21
04-22-2017, 10:23 PM
I still like the Spurs shot to wrap this up in six. Memphis barely squeaked out a game at home when they were red hot from the three point line. Not that I expect the Spurs to do much after this round. Championship teams win these kind of games that they don't deserve.they win the games they deserve, but not the games they need

Splits
04-22-2017, 10:24 PM
Answer:::

1) Bring in Gus Fring
2) Give him a boxcutter
3) Tell Manu to look up in the air for a bat
4) Slice

noles1983
04-22-2017, 10:24 PM
The worst part will be if Grizzlies win the series, watching them get blitzed in the next round because they are not very good. Spurs aren't that great either, average. One amazing player, a few inconsistent average players and the the rest are pure shit. This team needs major retooling in the offseason, which is rapidly approaching.

apalisoc_9
04-22-2017, 10:25 PM
i would have been scared of playing bertans because zbo would muscle him... but bertans held up just fine physically and we able to deny the ball. he should be getting more of Lee's minutes in this series.

playing Lee against memphis reminds me of paying blair heavy minutes in 2011 :lol

Yup. It's also not a coincidence that players have an easier time creating space with Bertans on the floor.

Southwest Texas Fan
04-22-2017, 10:27 PM
Manu's gonna have to sit the rest of the series and give Bertans a few more minutes.

apalisoc_9
04-22-2017, 10:27 PM
I still like the Spurs shot to wrap this up in six. Memphis barely squeaked out a game at home when they were red hot from the three point line. Not that I expect the Spurs to do much after this round. Championship teams win these kind of games that they don't deserve.

Gotta take things series by Series. We Had a similar problem with Dallas in 2014. :lol

If we're getting a 12ppg Parker the rest of the playoffs. They should have a punchers chance against GSW.

DarrinS
04-22-2017, 10:28 PM
Manu's gonna have to sit the rest of the series and give Bertans a few more minutes.

Perhaps

duncan2k5
04-22-2017, 10:30 PM
don't play ginobli and anderson
bring Green off the bench for Simmons(there is no way he can shoot worse than green who isn't hitting shit)
keep kawhi on the floor at all times when Conley is on the floor
Stop experimenting with Parker guarding conley
STOP PLAYING PARKER AND MILLS TOGETHER

YOU ARE A SMART MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!:bobo

rasuo214
04-22-2017, 10:30 PM
Seriously though they should have one of Gasol or Bertans on the court at all times to improve spacing.

duncan2k5
04-22-2017, 10:32 PM

idiots on here think Bertrans has bad defense...i wonder why they think so...smh...he is actually good defensively, and does a decent job at the rim...

Play Boban
04-22-2017, 10:35 PM
Answer:::

1) Bring in Gus Fring
2) Give him a boxcutter
3) Tell Manu to look up in the air for a bat
4) Slice
So now we're advocating murder on this site? This place is a cesspool tbh.

Play Boban
04-22-2017, 10:35 PM
idiots on here think Bertrans has bad defense...i wonder why they think so...smh...he is actually good defensively, and does a decent job at the rim...

Russ
04-22-2017, 10:36 PM
Only one adjustment needs to be made -- Get Matt Bonner off the fucking air.

spurraider21
04-22-2017, 10:38 PM
idiots on here think Bertrans has bad defense...i wonder why they think so...smh...he is actually good defensively, and does a decent job at the rim...and other idiots cant spell his name right

itzsoweezee
The obvious answer is play Lee and Manu less and Leonard more. Popovich will do absolutely none of these things because he's a predictable old man who's already run out of ideas.

Horse
All we need to do is equal their effort and we will blow them out. Then just hope the refs and score keeper stop fucking us.

Trainwreck2100
04-22-2017, 10:39 PM
It can't be just hope the refs give us some home cooking, tbh...

Betrans played well, should see more minutes, IMO. Danny needs to contribute more on offense if they're going to drop 50pts by the half.

Maybe Pop will start Manu, that used to be his goto desperation move :lol
Litterally all they need I didn't mind when Memphis gat away with "physical" play when they weren't hipocrital bitches crying for fouls every five minutes. But now they are so slant the calls in SA the way they slanted them for the Grizz. Also if no home cooking then just "make open threes" would be a winning formula

DMC
04-22-2017, 10:41 PM
No fucking clue, I'm not the coach.

DMC
04-22-2017, 10:43 PM
The obvious answer is play Lee and Manu less and Leonard more. Popovich will do absolutely none of these things because he's a predictable old man who's already run out of ideas.

Pounding the rock. Pop doesn't believe in the saying "if you keep doing what you're doing, you'll keep getting what you've been getting". He thinks if he keeps doing the same thing eventually it will work. If it doesn't, he is not worried about any shade being tossed at him because of it. There are plenty scapegoats on the floor.

This is probably the worst defensive Spurs team I've seen since like 2011.

Broken Arm Manu was better than this Manu.

$pursDynasty
04-22-2017, 10:46 PM
DMC is right about Pop. In the third HOTS scored 11 straight on line for 12th, and Pop actively trying to sub him out, smdh.

UZER
04-22-2017, 10:51 PM
DMC is right about Pop. In the third HOTS scored 11 straight on line for 12th, and Pop actively trying to sub him out, smdh.

Why does pop always yank dudes that get rolling? :lol

Its like he purposely is trying to snuff them out to keep them from going away from his precious system. The only time he doesn't do it is when it's too late in the fourth, because if it's early in the first he will still pull them.

DMC
04-22-2017, 11:09 PM
Why does pop always yank dudes that get rolling? :lol

Its like he purposely is trying to snuff them out to keep them from going away from his precious system. The only time he doesn't do it is when it's too late in the fourth, because if it's early in the first he will still pull them.

He's giving them a breather. I'm not sure Pop watches the game so much as he does manage minutes and strategize. Not sure he recognizes momentum to be a real thing. I've seen him call a time out when the Spurs had gone on a 15-2 run, because the other team scored the 2 in a way Pop didn't like (was the Suns back in the Nash days). The Suns won the game since the Spurs lost their momentum.

Pop is a micromanager. I don't think he does it for self adulation, I think he does it because he thinks for some reason this system that gets results in the RS will work in the playoffs when other teams bring their A games. Pop still tries to play RS ball with them. It doesn't always work. Pop doesn't make playoff adjustments, hasn't in a few years.

Tbh, if we could see inside Pop's mind we'd probably learn that Pop doesn't like their chances and knows he's got a shitty team compared to the NBA elite. He's got a good RS record he has to defend so he doesn't look like a fraud, but he knows in his heart of hearts that this 1st round isn't their roadblock. They aren't going anywhere. Pop isn't going to kill anyone to get to the 2nd round just to lose to a better playoff level team.

UZER
04-22-2017, 11:19 PM
He's giving them a breather. I'm not sure Pop watches the game so much as he does manage minutes and strategize. Not sure he recognizes momentum to be a real thing. I've seen him call a time out when the Spurs had gone on a 15-2 run, because the other team scored the 2 in a way Pop didn't like (was the Suns back in the Nash days). The Suns won the game since the Spurs lost their momentum.

Pop is a micromanager. I don't think he does it for self adulation, I think he does it because he thinks for some reason this system that gets results in the RS will work in the playoffs when other teams bring their A games. Pop still tries to play RS ball with them. It doesn't always work. Pop doesn't make playoff adjustments, hasn't in a few years.

Tbh, if we could see inside Pop's mind we'd probably learn that Pop doesn't like their chances and knows he's got a shitty team compared to the NBA elite. He's got a good RS record he has to defend so he doesn't look like a fraud, but he knows in his heart of hearts that this 1st round isn't their roadblock. They aren't going anywhere. Pop isn't going to kill anyone to get to the 2nd round just to lose to a better playoff level team.

He sticks to his note cards like that movie chaos theory. He's never been good at adjustments. His big two adjustments have been, start Manu, start Bonner.

That's why once they've been figured out, they can look like deer in the headlights. He's got a great system, but won't ever deviate from it mid game / series because he's got nothing, just the note cards.

tmtcsc
04-22-2017, 11:21 PM
This thing made adjustments:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1d/VanityFairJuly2015.jpg

Spurs Players not named Leonard need to give a fuck.

james evans
04-22-2017, 11:23 PM
Thunder refs all over again......nothing the Spurs can do.
the refs aren't keeping Danny Green from mising every open shot he gets

$pursDynasty
04-22-2017, 11:23 PM
So Uzer you are implying Pop is like the Zenith master with the triangle. Though he might change his system, from year to year, once he settles on one for a season he can't deviate.

Chews
04-22-2017, 11:25 PM
PLAY DIJON!!!!!! DOESN'T HAVE TO BE IN PLACE OF PARKER BUT PLAY THE FUCKING KID FFS

gambit1990
04-22-2017, 11:28 PM
lma should be involved sooner... tp took as many shots tonight as la has the past two games.

if tony is gonna take shots away from people, it should be away from the bench and not from lamarcus.

gambit1990
04-22-2017, 11:40 PM
definitely wanna see murray & bertans... been saying that all season though.

UZER
04-22-2017, 11:42 PM
definitely wanna see murray & bertans... been saying that all season though.

Everyone has. Everyone knew once the playoffs started pop would ride with Manu.

Robz4000
04-22-2017, 11:46 PM
Poo: Make more shots.

DMC
04-22-2017, 11:51 PM
He sticks to his note cards like that movie chaos theory. He's never been good at adjustments. His big two adjustments have been, start Manu, start Bonner.

That's why once they've been figured out, they can look like deer in the headlights. He's got a great system, but won't ever deviate from it mid game / series because he's got nothing, just the note cards.

He also doesn't have Bud and Brett in his ear these days, just Messina and that whore in the back row.

gambit1990
04-22-2017, 11:56 PM
not convinced tony is playing better than murray could've.

on the series tp is averaging ~45% shooting, ~3 assists...

you can't teach murray's frame or his quickness.

ducks
04-22-2017, 11:59 PM
Tony had one bad game out of 4

gambit1990
04-23-2017, 12:16 AM
i also wanna see kawhi as the screener.

LaMarcus Bryant
04-23-2017, 12:29 AM
I fear Murray would get eaten alive by this Memphis defense, tbh

YGWHI
04-23-2017, 12:31 AM
Adjustments? Nah...Pop doesnt give a shit about winning in playoffs on these days..."There are more things than basketball"

We already know this Pop playoffs version and it doesnt look good...
"Either one of us goes to Houston or one of us goes on vacation. We'd each rather to to Houston but vacation's not terrible

BatManu20
04-23-2017, 12:36 AM
Everyone's hating on Pop, and he's definitely made his mistakes this series, but the Spurs should've won this game comfortably, regardless of Pop's mistakes. There's absolutely no excuse to lose a game where Kawhi goes God-mode like he did, Tony plays the best game he's had in ages, & the Grizzlies commit 23 turnovers. Absolutely no excuse to lose this game.

This loss is on the role guys. Too many of them missed good, and often, wide open looks. Danny, Patty, Manu, & Pau ALL sucked something fierce tonight. If any of those guys do anything at all, we win this game. No excuses, it's on the players tonight. They're paid millions to hit open jump shots and finish lay ups, and they didn't do it tonight, period. Time for them to bounce back and redeem themselves and regain control of the series.

ginobilized
04-23-2017, 12:41 AM
Bertans played his ass off tonight, hope that translates to some more floor time.
If the Spurs bring this defensive intensity and make fewer mistakes and a couple more 3s, it's over in 6.
Pop has some tricks up his sleeve, he doesn't bring them out until the last possible moment.
It felt like this game was lost in the 2nd quarter. Manu's minutes have been hard to watch and hurting the team.
Thank god he changed up the lineups in the 2nd half.

YGWHI
04-23-2017, 12:44 AM
Everyone's hating on Pop, and he's definitely made his mistakes this series, but the Spurs should've won this game comfortably, regardless of Pop's mistakes. There's absolutely no excuse to lose a game where Kawhi goes God-mode like he did, Tony plays the best game he's had in ages, & the Grizzlies commit 23 turnovers. Absolutely no excuse to lose this game.

This loss is on the role guys. Too many of them missed good, and often, wide open looks. Danny, Patty, Manu, & Pau ALL sucked something fierce tonight. If any of those guys do anything at all, we win this game. No excuses, it's on the players tonight. They're paid millions to hit open jump shots and finish lay ups, and they didn't do it tonight, period. Time for them to bounce back and redeem themselves and regain control of the series.

A team can survive through role players' mistakes but not coach's.

YGWHI
04-23-2017, 12:52 AM
Pop refused to play LMA at C with one of Bobo/DWest combo, those two guys got outrebounded by OKC bigs.

Pop refused to play Kawhi as much as KD did, Spurs were outplayed by OKC 40 points with Kawhi off floor.

And many more...How a team can survive that wrong decisions?

TampaDude
04-23-2017, 03:56 AM
As great as Kawhi is, it's just not the same team without Duncan.

SAGirl
04-23-2017, 03:59 AM
I would bench manu. It doesn't matter who you choose in his stead, he's going to be better.

SAGirl
04-23-2017, 04:02 AM

This too. Bertans needs to see minutes.
I think he did show some grit.

SAGirl
04-23-2017, 04:04 AM
basically this.:toast

quentin_compson
04-23-2017, 05:55 AM
It's not an adjustment, but hitting a couple of open looks from three would help. Kawhi was 7 of 10 from downtown in Game 4 - and the Spurs as a team still only shot 30% from deep.

duncan2k5
04-23-2017, 06:14 AM
As great as Kawhi is, it's just not the same team without Duncan.

We lost to a worse Griz team with Duncan...as a 1 seed...this has nothing to do with Timmy not being here, and everything to do with Pop

Slippy
04-23-2017, 10:03 AM
Spurs gotta start hitting a higher percentage at the 3point game. The shots are there. It changes everything for the team on offense .

florige
04-23-2017, 10:08 AM

I agree. We probably win this in 6. But beating anyone else I see as highly unlikely. We can't expect Leonard to greek God mode us to a championship.

kaji157
04-23-2017, 10:16 AM
Spurs clearly need to do two things, move the ball better, and star getting easier looks inside.

You could say "hit the 3", but the Spurs are not shooting the 3 that bad for the series, this was a bad "3ball" game, but it also was a game where Memphis turned the ball over like crazy, so it evened out.

I know most of you like this ISO offense, but with Kawhi dominating so much no player gets in rhythm other than him or Tony (other ball dominant player) and you barely get easy looks. Also the 3 is not coming in the usual spots for our shooters.

r0drig0lac
04-23-2017, 10:21 AM
1- on: bertans, simmons and maybe murray
2- off: manu and lee
3- win

04-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Anderson was -12 in five minutes of play. Let Bertans suck up those minutes plus some from Lee.

Prose
04-23-2017, 11:53 AM
don't play mills and parker together....we lost the game on a 5 point swing when mills got blocked

gambit1990
04-23-2017, 12:05 PM
yeah, mills and parker should never see time on the court together.

Raven
04-23-2017, 12:08 PM
stop playing lee. simple.

TheRemix
04-23-2017, 12:31 PM
Was trying to figure out why pop had parker and mills on the floor at the same time..made no sense defensively and offenseively. I mean maybe if mills was hitting his shots I could understand it..

DMC
04-23-2017, 01:23 PM
I would bench manu. It doesn't matter who you choose in his stead, he's going to be better.

The odd thing about Pop is that he'll sit the entire starting unit no problem, but he won't bench an old guy like Manu simply out of loyalty. Pop will allow Manu to scuttle the season instead. The mantra is that Pop doesn't play favorites, but he damn sure plays the loyalty card and I believe it's because he's close friends with guys who have been on the team for a decade or more. He doesn't want Manu to go out as a loser on the bench. He'd rather let him go out as a loser on the floor, where at least it's up to Manu to win or lose.

The others are just pawns.

04-23-2017, 01:33 PM
stop switching the pnr maybe lol same shit has gotten us knocked out by OKC and LAC last few years. Don't hold your breath, though.

SAGirl
04-23-2017, 03:03 PM
stop playing lee. simple.
Agreed..
Pop won't do it ... :td

SAGirl
04-23-2017, 03:04 PM
Tony had one bad game out of 4
Kyle had one bad game out of 4 too... not even his fault tbh...

SAGirl
04-23-2017, 03:10 PM
don't play mills and parker together....we lost the game on a 5 point swing when mills got blocked
That was an awful decision by Pop

SAGirl
04-23-2017, 03:11 PM
Was trying to figure out why pop had parker and mills on the floor at the same time..made no sense defensively and offenseively. I mean maybe if mills was hitting his shots I could understand it..
As you said... Mills wasn't even having a good game. I bet he did it for the extra ball handling, but it was a bad choice. On defense they got murdered. One could argue that right there lost the game.

SAGirl
04-23-2017, 03:20 PM
The odd thing about Pop is that he'll sit the entire starting unit no problem, but he won't bench an old guy like Manu simply out of loyalty. Pop will allow Manu to scuttle the season instead. The mantra is that Pop doesn't play favorites, but he damn sure plays the loyalty card and I believe it's because he's close friends with guys who have been on the team for a decade or more. He doesn't want Manu to go out as a loser on the bench. He'd rather let him go out as a loser on the floor, where at least it's up to Manu to win or lose.

The others are just pawns.
You have a point.

To the younger players whose contracts are coming up: Get your money and GTFO out of this team. Pop is going to prefer his old crew over you no matter how you are doing. (Only half trolling with that)

ElNono
04-23-2017, 03:35 PM
The last time I remember Pop making a meaningful adjustment in a series was benching Beli against the Mavs and Thunder in 2014...

DMC
04-23-2017, 03:54 PM
CoPwPUmIquU

I use one of those under the kitchen sink to hang cleaning spray bottles on, to free up the deck space.

objective
04-23-2017, 04:20 PM
The last time I remember Pop making a meaningful adjustment in a series was benching Beli against the Mavs and Thunder in 2014...

True, they absolutely were going to lose to the Mavs if Pop didn't sit Belineli, he was that awful.

A shame that Pop lost that. *Edit*. Had thought Brett Brown was a factor, but memory was off and he was gone for 14 wasn't he?

skulls138
04-23-2017, 04:20 PM
I think Manus hurt and if he still is, more Bertans and KA, less Manu. If Manu is just sucking then he just better light a fire and do something.

Other than that I think its all mental. Everything Memphis has done has worked when it comes to psychological warfare, other than Kawhi. LA looks rattled, KA looked somewhat rattled though I think he will be effective, so its a case of getting pissed and sustaining it for 48 minutes.

gospursgojas
04-23-2017, 10:18 PM
stop switching the pnr maybe lol same shit has gotten us knocked out by OKC and LAC last few years. Don't hold your breath, though.

This.

I think it comes down more to defensive play strategies more than whos on the court, and the other antidotal stuff. Mike Conley scored on whoever switched time and time again down the stretch in game 4. Its not hard to hedge and get back on Gasol or Randolph...its not like they are a huge lob threat.

UZER
04-23-2017, 10:27 PM
If Manu is hurt, then even more so why the fuck is he playing?!

ElNono
04-23-2017, 11:08 PM
True, they absolutely were going to lose to the Mavs if Pop didn't sit Belineli, he was that awful.

A shame that Pop lost that. *Edit*. Had thought Brett Brown was a factor, but memory was off and he was gone for 14 wasn't he?

Yeah, we had Jim Boylen as our defensive coach.