PDA

View Full Version : Pop costed Game 4. Inexcusable

MaNu4Tres
04-23-2017, 12:54 AM
Three times, right after a Kawhi made basket late int he 4th and in OT.

Three times.

Three times, Spurs had a dead ball situation or a timeout after a Kawhi basket. Pop had an opportunity to close the game by implementing defensive personnel ( Green and Simmons instead of Mils/Parker). Pop had an opportunity to take Patty AND Parker out of the game for defensive reasons. What did he do?

He kept Parker AND Mills in the game.

The first time, Grizzlies went right at Parker with Carter and Carter's advantageous situation induced Lee to help on baseline as Carter was driving and Carter dropped candy for a ZBO Bunny.

The next play, Kawhi makes a 19 footer to put the Spurs up 96-94. Grizzlies timeout with 12 seconds remaining.

Pop has a 2nd opportunity to take Mills and Parker out. NOPE.

Conley hits a runner over Parker with 4 seconds remaining.

In OT. Spurs down 102-103. There's a dead ball, Pop has a chance to get Mills/Parker out of the game defensive to get a needed stop.. NOPE.

Conley hits a 11 footer on Mills.

FInally the 4th time, when the game is tied at 108-108, Pop finally subs out Parker/Mills for Green/Simmons the last play of the game when Gasol makes an incredible shot.

How doesn't Pop make this adjustment sooner?

His rotations and in game management tonight costed his team the damn game.

spursistan
04-23-2017, 12:57 AM
Are we still shocked by this ? There is 40 plus page thread about Pop being done..

apalisoc_9
04-23-2017, 12:58 AM

Three times.

Three times, Spurs had a dead ball situation or a timeout after a Kawhi basket. Pop had an opportunity to close the game by implementing defensive personnel ( Green and Simmons instead of Mils/Parker). Pop had an opportunity to take Patty AND Parker out of the game for defensive reasons. What did he do?

The first time, Grizzlies went right at Parker with Carter and Carter's advantageous situation induced Lee to help on baseline as Carter was driving and Carter dropped candy for a ZBO Bunny.

The next play, Kawhi makes a 19 footer to put the Spurs up 96-94. Grizzlies timeout with 12 seconds remaining.

In OT. Spurs down 102-103. There's a dead ball, Pop has a chance to get Mills/Parker out of the game defensive to get a needed stop.. NOPE.

FInally the 4th time, when the game is tied at 108-108, Pop finally subs out Parker/Mills for Green/Simmons the last play of the game when Gasol makes an incredible shot.

Was shouting this the end of the fourth. It was bonkers.

How the fuck do Assistant coaches even work in San Antonio..are they just like those 21 year old blonde secretarty paid by the organization so the boss can tell her "i droped the pen, pick it up" and look at her undies.

Borrego, Udoka, Messina should all know by now Pop is coaching a terrible series.

timtonymanu
But Pop has 5 rings and is immune to criticism - Pop suckers

Chillen
If Spurs go on and lose this series to Memphis, imo Pop should retire. He's one of the games greatest coaches ever but it's clear he just does not have the passion he once did to be the best I think he's tired of coaching tbh. I mean he has like 2 decades of coaching every year in the playoffs under his belt he's got to be getting bored in a way.

MaNu4Tres
Are we still shocked by this ? There is 40 plus page thread about Pop being done..

I can name some big blunders he's made in 2006, in 2008, in 2011, in 2012, in 2013, 2015, 2016, and this run. I was shocked by it being 3 times in a row. I mean... inexcusable. He shit the bed.

MaNu4Tres
04-23-2017, 01:01 AM
I can name some big blunders he's made in 2006, in 2008, in 2011, in 2012, in 2013, 2015, 2016, and this run. I was shocked by it being 3 times in a row. I mean... inexcusable. He shit the bed.

I forgot 2009. The year he said " These playoffs aren't for Georgie". When he played Bonner Mason and Finley over Kurt Thomas, Bowen. That crap team still had no chance w/ Manu injured.

timtonymanu
04-23-2017, 01:04 AM
I forgot 2009. The year he said " These playoffs aren't for Georgie". When he played Bonner Mason and Finley over Kurt Thomas, Bowen. That crap team still had no chance w/ Manu injured.

Yep then did it to Splitter, Boban, and now we're seeing it with Bertans. and there's also the lack of development with Murray when the Spurs need guard play more than anything. I wish I can give Pop the benefit of the doubt like his believers are but all I see is continued stubborn decisions.

YGWHI
04-23-2017, 01:04 AM
Why Pop didnt play LMA some minutes with one of Bobo/DWest to prevent Spurs getting outrebounded by OKC?

Why Pop didnt play Kawhi more than 33 mpg to avoid getting outplayed by 40 points with Kawhi off vs OKC?

Why Pop refused to play Bertans in last SAS-GSW when he's a perfect fit against them?

Why Pop didnt put Green more minutes on Conley in this series, why let he kills Parker/Mills in every possession?

Why Pop threw away a game sitting all his starters just to send a message?

Chillen
04-23-2017, 01:05 AM
Why Pop didnt play LMA minutes with one of Bobo/DWest to prevent Spurs getting outrebounded by OKC?

Why Pop didnt play Kawhi more than 33 mpg to avoid getting outplayed by 40 points with Kawhi off?

Why Pop refused to play Bertans in last SAS-GSW when he's a perfect fit against them?

Why Pop didnt put Green more minutes on Conley in this series, why let he kills Parker/Mills in every possession?

Why Pop threw away a game sitting all his starters just to send a message?

He is bored imo, he even looks it. He had a fire in him in 2012, 2013, 2014 but this season he just looks like oh I can do this in my sleep I have done it so many times. Plus he is very stubborn with his ways.

spursistan
04-23-2017, 01:07 AM
At some point we also need to ask: have Udoka/Messina proven to be useless 'yes men' . Pop coaching performances in the playoffs have gotten more embarrassing ever since this duo took over the lead assistants role from Bud/Boylen..

timtonymanu
04-23-2017, 01:08 AM
At some point we also need to ask: have Udoka/Messina proven to be useless 'yes men' . Pop coaching performances in the playoffs have gotten more embarrassing ever since this duo took over as the lead assistants role from Bud/Boylen..

The assistants have always been "yes men". It's more that Pop and co have been content since 2014 ended.

dabom
04-23-2017, 01:09 AM
We won with Udoka...

YGWHI
04-23-2017, 01:10 AM
If Spurs go on and lose this series to Memphis, imo Pop should retire. He's one of the games greatest coaches ever but it's clear he just does not have the passion he once did to be the best I think he's tired of coaching tbh. I mean he has like 2 decades of coaching every year in the playoffs under his belt he's got to be getting bored in a way.

Couldnt agree more. He lost his fire. Also, his way isnt a winning formula in today-NBA.

Many coaches have outplayed him with shitty rosters in last regular seasons and playoffs.

Carlisle and Fizzdale with almost nothing gave him a 7-games fight.

Russ
04-23-2017, 01:13 AM
Pop is the worst coach in history whose won 5 NBA titles.

All of those other 5-time NBA title winning coaches are so much better.

MaNu4Tres
04-23-2017, 01:14 AM
Yep then did it to Splitter, Boban, and now we're seeing it with Bertans. and there's also the lack of development with Murray when the Spurs need guard play more than anything. I wish I can give Pop the benefit of the doubt like his believers are but all I see is continued stubborn decisions.

What he did with Nazr in 2006, was laughably silly and no Nazr hurt vs. the Mavs A LOT. HIs love for Van Exel, despite Van Exel throwing up contested long 2's in transition in 3 on 1 and 2 on 1 opportunities. Van Exel was fucking pathetic, but since he was a vet signing -- Pop loved him and rode him. Beno was the better option. Van Exel was trash.

In 2008, he played Finley/Udoka at the 3 and 4 over Bowen/Kurt Thomas vs. Odom/Kobe. Odom feasted on the boards being guarded by Finley. He was so in love with Finley for so damn long.

In 2011, Bonner/Blair over Splitter vs. Memphis.

In 2012, he had a laughable short leash with Splitter for no fucking reason. And took Green out from the rotation all together after 4 games vs. OKC -- which was so fuckin dumb as well. Green was just as valuable as Leonard that run. They needed his D, even if his shot was off first 4 games.

In 2013, taking out Duncan game 6 was so fucking dumb. Not fouling was dumb as well.

IN 2015, overplaying Parker, barely playing Splitter ( even if Splitter was hurt -- he still was valuable when he played). Sitting Kawhi for a long 7 minute stretch in Game 7 which allowed Clippers to go on a significant run.

In 2016, Like his love for Finley, Pop had a love for David West and overplayed the hell out of him. Didn't matter that West helped Kanter and Adams look like Wilt and Shaq. Boban actually had great outings vs. OKC all season long, Pop barely gave him a 7 minute stint where OKC scored on 2 pick and roll opportunities with Bobans man.

TheGreatYacht
04-23-2017, 01:31 AM
CIA Pop not showing his full hand, tbh.

Pop playing Chess while everyone else plays checkers.

He wanted this series to go 6 or 7 the whole time.

5 ringzzzzz.

All those Kawhi shots off of ISOs were because of Pop's system.

apalisoc_9
04-23-2017, 01:34 AM
CIA Pop not showing his full hand, tbh.

Pop playing Chess while everyone else plays checkers.

He wanted this series to go 6 or 7 the whole time.

5 ringzzzzz.

All those Kawhi shots off of ISOs were because of Pop's system.

Never gets accountable but always gets the majority of credit. :lol

He hates trump so..

Kawhi's gonna have to come up with his own Trump rant. :lol

LaMarcus Bryant
04-23-2017, 01:37 AM
What he did with Nazr in 2006, was laughably silly and no Nazr hurt vs. the Mavs A LOT. HIs love for Van Exel, despite Van Exel throwing up contested long 2's in transition in 3 on 1 and 2 on 1 opportunities. Van Exel was fucking pathetic, but since he was a vet signing -- Pop loved him and rode him. Beno was the better option. Van Exel was trash.

In 2008, he played Finley/Udoka at the 3 and 4 over Bowen/Kurt Thomas vs. Odom/Kobe. Odom feasted on the boards being guarded by Finley. He was so in love with Finley for so damn long.

In 2011, Bonner/Blair over Splitter vs. Memphis.

In 2012, he had a laughable short leash with Splitter for no fucking reason. And took Green out from the rotation all together after 4 games vs. OKC -- which was so fuckin dumb as well. Green was just as valuable as Leonard that run. They needed his D, even if his shot was off first 4 games.

In 2013, taking out Duncan game 6 was so fucking dumb. Not fouling was dumb as well.

IN 2015, overplaying Parker, barely playing Splitter ( even if Splitter was hurt -- he still was valuable when he played). Sitting Kawhi for a long 7 minute stretch in Game 7 which allowed Clippers to go on a significant run.

In 2016, Like his love for Finley, Pop had a love for David West and overplayed the hell out of him. Didn't matter that West helped Kanter and Adams look like Wilt and Shaq. Boban actually had great outings vs. OKC all season long, Pop barely gave him a 7 minute stint where OKC scored on 2 pick and roll opportunities with Bobans man.

:tu
sucks

spurraider21
04-23-2017, 01:46 AM
i think it's pretty common knowledge around here that pop isn't the best in-game micromanager by any stretch :lol

that's never been his forte. he's much better at macro than micro, but there really isn't anybody better with the macro stuff

apalisoc_9
04-23-2017, 01:55 AM
i think it's pretty common knowledge around here that pop isn't the best in-game micromanager by any stretch :lol

that's never been his forte. he's much better at macro than micro, but there really isn't anybody better with the macro stuff

It always works to have an egotistical coach as Macro guy...

Phil and Pop are two of the most egotistical human beings I have ever seen.

LaMarcus Bryant
04-23-2017, 01:57 AM
Prob takes a certain level of egotistical self confidence to make it this much of a career, tbh

apalisoc_9
04-23-2017, 02:11 AM
Prob takes a certain level of egotistical self confidence to make it this much of a career, tbh

Ego is like Salt. You need ego to control an organization.

Without Ego, you won't be able to coach. Ego is a mush have personality trait when you're coaching Mlionaires.

dbreiden83080
04-23-2017, 02:15 AM

I dare you to tell me how the fuck this team wins 61 games with anyone else as the head coach? Go ahead tell me how it's even remotely possible? Doc Rivers has been overrated by the media forever and has a talent Rich team in LA and they fucking suck.

dbreiden83080
04-23-2017, 02:17 AM
But Pop has 5 rings and is immune to criticism - Pop suckers

Basically yes. But at the same time this team won 61 games this year. So exactly how much criticism does he deserve? Fans that are fucking stupid want to throw it all in his lap. And they are immensely stupid for doing so.

MaNu4Tres
04-23-2017, 02:17 AM
I dare you to tell me how the fuck this team wins 61 games with anyone else as the head coach? Go ahead tell me how it's even remotely possible? Doc Rivers has been overrated by the media forever and has a talent Rich team in LA and they fucking suck.

It's a collective effort from all the players, the coaches, the FO and also one of the most watered down era's in NBA History.

Saying its ALL Pop makes you look like a fucking moron.. tbh..

dbreiden83080
04-23-2017, 02:21 AM
It's a collective effort from all the players, the coaches, the FO and also one of the most watered down era's in NBA History.

Saying its ALL Pop makes you look like a fucking moron.. tbh..if you want to play the nitpick game, I could pinpoint every championship they won and say this and that was watered down. Just because you say it does not make it true.

objective
04-23-2017, 02:23 AM

Don't forget, game 1 against LA, up by 20 half way in the third, Bowen locking Kobe down all game ... Picks up only his third foul, and gets taken out for shit Udoka who proceeds to get slaughtered and Kobe just explodes the rest of the game. Spurs lose.

Thereafter Pop has it in for Bowen in what I can only presume as a defense mechanism to blame Bowen for his own mistake, ultimately making sure to go to the media and malign Bowen's voluntary retirement. And of course making sure to boast to the media about how scrub ass Bogans was "The Centerpiece" of the Spurs defense.

apalisoc_9
04-23-2017, 02:24 AM

Saying its ALL Pop makes you look like a fucking moron.. tbh..

But Pop :cry

YGWHI
04-23-2017, 02:26 AM

Clips had at least one of their stars injured all games. And they still beat us 3-1 in the regular season.

But one thing the Clips didnt have to make the difference over others teams? That Kawhi Leonard thing.

Rivers didnt have a #3 top player to win games...Remember? Kawhi was 5-10 in last 5''. Clutch af this year. Spurs could have lost many more games but he was a beast

spursistan
04-23-2017, 02:27 AM

Concur with the above ^^..

Despite him being a total non-factor on O, Dedmon still best defensive big on the team..Aldridge/Pau/Lee are all terrible space defenders..They are toast when taken off their feet with a dribble..

The Spurs have collapsed defensively in the series since the second half of Game2..

YGWHI
04-23-2017, 02:31 AM
Basically yes. But at the same time this team won 61 games this year. So exactly how much criticism does he deserve?

A LOT of criticism.

Since this is a thread about his playoffs coaching not regular season

timtonymanu
04-23-2017, 02:43 AM
I get it, the players are underachieving or suffering from cold streaks but Pop doesn't make matters easier when he's pulling all these cute moves like sitting every starter or refusing to make adjustments like it has been the case the last three playoff runs. Just give your team the best chance to win. Stop with the mind games and stop wasting Kawhi's prime days. I don't care if he's entitled because of the 5 rings. If he's not gonna coach at the level that hes capable of, why should he not be criticized? It's just selfish, ego stroking bullshit. And the people that eat it up are fucking stupid.

SAGirl
04-23-2017, 02:45 AM
It's a shame.
I was upset at the Patty/Tony duo.. and sure enough memphis capitalized.
One thing Memphis doesn't get credit for: They are a veteran team. they executed whatever they wanted.

I am depressed with these Popism. I admire Pop a lot, in fact used to do that blindly. Still admire many things about him... but yes in game adjustments are not his strength and he can be too set in his ways to play guys that are young (yes dijon, yes I thought Davis needed to play even more than he did... Spurs only made a run to get back in the game when he played)... anyways, he's fallen in love with Patty and that is that. He trusted him to execute whatever they planned on defense...

YGWHI
04-23-2017, 02:55 AM
The little things can shift momentum in a series. Team started the 2nd half today similar to how they did in Game 3. And almost took home the W. Another playoff run of us questioning Pops decisions and it's costing the team again.

More data.

A Young coaches method

Game 3, Cavs v Pacers down 24 at 9min of the third. Tyrone Lue continued to show some faith in his starters.

Cavs win.

Pop used to say these spurs are grown men. Wonder what he feels they are now.

It seems like he cost us more than just this game. I'd say.... game 3 AND 4.

MaNu4Tres
04-23-2017, 03:04 AM
It's a shame.
I was upset at the Patty/Tony duo.. and sure enough memphis capitalized.
One thing Memphis doesn't get credit for: They are a veteran team. they executed whatever they wanted.

I am depressed with these Popism. I admire Pop a lot, in fact used to do that blindly. Still admire many things about him... but yes in game adjustments are not his strength and he can be too set in his ways to play guys that are young (yes dijon, yes I thought Davis needed to play even more than he did... Spurs only made a run to get back in the game when he played)... anyways, he's fallen in love with Patty and that is that. He trusted him to execute whatever they planned on defense...

Harrison/Ennis/ Daniels and Vince are outplaying Green/Manu/Mills/ Anderson/Simmons. It's pretty sad.

SAGirl
04-23-2017, 03:48 AM
Harrison/Ennis/ Daniels and Vince are outplaying Green/Manu/Mills/ Anderson/Simmons. It's pretty sad.
I don't think Anderson or Simmons were placed in situations offensively they can do well in. I don't recall Simmons passing up opportunities more than he simply didn't get any shot opportunities... If I recall correctly, he played with kawhi in God mode so he was fine with what he did for the most part when he played and they were guarding him, which is what Pop wanted to open things up for Kawhi. I think he accomplished his mission for a few minutes. Kyle just got the one bad shot. B4 this game both were scoring efficiently. I think Pop is probably to blame for not getting more out of them.. which is a coaching choice.

When they play with the regular rotation, Patty and Manu make the decisions with the ball, take more shots and in Manu's case directs the passes. They could get more out of both if they were more involved like the were in game 3. Even Bertans only got a few shots and he's very easy to set up for a shot. Pop is just not using his bench properly. And I do agree with you on Murray, his quickness creates so much scrambling, Kyle and Simmons had open shots for 3 and they take forever to decide to shoot but they shot well in game 3. Pop has guys that can for sure produce more than Harrison/Ennis/Daniels... but he's not playing them right.

Manu is done, Danny has ever been the streaky shooter and Mills is also a streaky dude. One could argue shot distribution in the bench is probably not fine moving forward.

I suspect ... or at least I'd like to see Simmons more involved if he's Pop's choice and have no problem with him... if he plays Manu again I think he is throwing in the towel.

TampaDude
04-23-2017, 03:49 AM
No Duncan, no ring.

JuneJive
04-23-2017, 09:14 AM
There are obvious things he could've done differently, but we can't be sure they would be a positive change.

If some of our open shots went in, we wouldn't be having this thread.

SupremeGuy
04-23-2017, 09:29 AM
Pop literally doesn't give a shit anymore. His faggot ass would rather spread commie propaganda than coach the team.

bic50
04-23-2017, 09:51 AM
No Duncan, no ring.
TBH. Duncan made pop

MaNu4Tres
04-23-2017, 09:55 AM
There are obvious things he could've done differently, but we can't be sure they would be a positive change.

If some of our open shots went in, we wouldn't be having this thread.

It's about what Pop can and can't control. He can control changing the defensive personnel to give his team its BEST chance to get a stop -- since there was a deadball or a timeout. He had three opportunities to do so, and he did not. Instead, he kept the two weakest perimeter defenders on the roster on the floor in crucial moments and the Grizzlies capitalized every time.

tholdren
04-23-2017, 09:59 AM

Three times.

greens lazy bee-boppin ass cost the spurs. he can't make a shot, and he gave Conley a wide open layup to start ot. green has no competitive spirit. only wants to dance

MaNu4Tres
04-23-2017, 10:09 AM
greens lazy bee-boppin ass cost the spurs. he can't make a shot, and he gave Conley a wide open layup to start ot. green has no competitive spirit. only wants to dance

You can't control makes or misses. You just shoot and hope for the best. Pop can control who he puts on the floor in certain situations.

Pop going with Parker/ Mills together for a defensive possession, is like Pop going with a Danny Iso in center court for an offensive possession.

Control what you can to put your team in the best possession to execute and win. Pop didn't do that last night late in the game. He made the job a lot harder for Kawhi and his players.

duncan2k5
04-23-2017, 12:53 PM
You can't control makes or misses. You just shoot and hope for the best. Pop can control who he puts on the floor in certain situations.

Pop going with Parker/ Mills together for a defensive possession, is like Pop going with a Danny Iso in center court for an offensive possession.

Control what you can to put your team in the best possession to execute and win. Pop didn't do that last night late in the game. He made the job a lot harder for Kawhi and his players.

And I thing is...if we can see it...so can the players...and thats unhealthy for trust and chemistry... And definitely scary because u dont want kawhi to lose trust and bolt

dabom
04-23-2017, 01:17 PM

Concur with the above ^^..

Despite him being a total non-factor on O, Dedmon still best defensive big on the team..Aldridge/Pau/Lee are all terrible space defenders..They are toast when taken off their feet with a dribble..

The Spurs have collapsed defensively in the series since the second half of Game2..

I'm pretty sure you were shitting on dedmon before game 4, faggot. :lmao

daslicer
04-23-2017, 01:29 PM
Pop is a Larry Brown disciple. I remember the biggest knock on Larry Brown was his inability to play and develop young players. Larry always would favor old washed up vets over promising young players. Look how he handled the situation with Darko in Detroit granted Darko turned out to be a bust but I get the feeling Brown was a huge reason for it. Pop tends to be very similar to Brown when it comes to favoring vets over young players but there is a little bit of difference. I have noticed Pop will reluctantly play the young guys over the vets once it becomes clear the vets are getting their asses kicked. It happened in '02 after the Spurs lost to the Lakers again. The next season Pop puts Stephen Jackson in the starting line up and sends Steve Smith to the bench granted this move happened once Smith got injured. Pop also started relying on young guys in Manu,Claxton,Parker over the proven vets in Smith,Kerr,Ferry. This cycle tends to be consistent in the Pop era which is Spurs get their asses kicked in the playoffs due to vets being over the hill and Pop then reloads and starts playing the young guys the next year.

TD 21
04-23-2017, 04:03 PM
A lot of truth being spoken in this thread.

I'm not at all excusing Pop, but I will say, close and late offense/defense, as well as blatant substitution pattern and general matchup ones, are shockingly common. These should generally be the easiest decisions coaches make and yet I've seen so many at least play a role in costing their team over the years. It's like these guys get so wrapped up in repeatedly barking cliché shit that they lose track of the most important things.

As an aside, the ATO's, especially close and late, have been vanilla for the last 2 years. I understand the personnel is different and most teams aren't all that different, but what used to make the Spurs so tough and unique in these situations, was you couldn't just sit on a few things. Now, it's: Leonard ISO or spread pick-and-roll, Green floppy/single double and Mills elevator doors. They've tried the late game DPG classic a few times too, last night being one, only to botch it.

DPG21920
04-23-2017, 04:07 PM
It was not just about this observation. The bigger and more egregious mistake that keeps happening is Pop not keeping his best players on the floor and staggering their rest.

MEM pretty much always has at least 2 of Conley, Gasol or Zbo on the floor. The only time MEM did not have 2 on the floor was in the 4th quarter and SA went on a 9-0 run. Pop keeps taking Kawhi/TP/LMA out at the same time. It's killing the Spurs. Sure, Pop is "buying" rest but it's not paying off.

Just stagger the damn lineups so at least 2 of Kawhi/TP/LMA are on the floor together at all times.

bklynspursfan
04-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Our 3 point shooting is more to blame. I guess in that regard Bertans could've seen more time.

tholdren
04-23-2017, 04:26 PM
Our 3 point shooting is more to blame. I guess in that regard Bertans could've seen more time.

3pt sucked ball movement sucked.

objective
04-23-2017, 04:31 PM
Bertans helps the ball movement too. His ability to drive on closeouts is great, and he's a very good passer, even on the move.

ceperez
04-23-2017, 05:15 PM
We should have Becky Hammon running the game come crunch time.

This is B.S. keeping Mills and Parker on the floor on defense.

MaNu4Tres
04-23-2017, 05:17 PM
Bertans helps the ball movement too. His ability to drive on closeouts is great, and he's a very good passer, even on the move.

Pop limited his versatility by only allowing him to play PF. It boggles my mind how Pop can't play him at the 3. He has better skill set to play the position than Anderson and Simmons.

weeks
04-23-2017, 05:40 PM
does he even work the refs anymore?
when danny or someone makes a mistake does he call a timeout and come onto the court ripping them apart?
dude checked out after duncan was gone, doesn't give a fuck

UZER
04-23-2017, 05:44 PM
does he even work the refs anymore?
when danny or someone makes a mistake does he call a timeout and come onto the court ripping them apart?
dude checked out after duncan was gone, doesn't give a fuck

He's 68. He needs retire and enjoy the rest of his liberal life in a gated community.

absoloot66
04-23-2017, 07:56 PM
He's 68. He needs retire and enjoy the rest of his liberal life in a gated community.

:lol

Borosai
04-23-2017, 08:26 PM
Forfeiting game 3 was dumb, but if they lose this series... I don't know. That defeatist attitude isn't acceptable. There have been at least a couple of big comebacks in these playoffs because those teams didn't quit. Is it really impossible to coach up a 61-win team, even if only to avoid another first round exit?

sasaint
04-23-2017, 08:42 PM
We should have Becky Hammon running the game come crunch time.

This is B.S. keeping Mills and Parker on the floor on defense.

PLUS subbing DLee in on defense while keeping Tony and Patty in! :wow

Kool Bob Love
04-23-2017, 10:15 PM

:lmao

sananspursfan21
04-23-2017, 11:03 PM
Pop is the worst coach in history whose won 5 NBA titles.

All of those other 5-time NBA title winning coaches are so much better.

:lol

:toast

TE
04-23-2017, 11:36 PM
It's not all on Pop. But he does deserve criticism for what others have already stated. It's a little bit of everything.

Role players not stepping up or being put in a situation (lineup) where their abilities aren't best maximized or their weaknesses are glaringly exposed for all of the naked eye to see.

Kawhi is brilliant. Other players haven't played up to their best. Aldridge is flat out getting punked by the fat rotten corpse of Randolph. Sans Parker last game (and obviously Kawhi), no one is keen on consistently attacking the basket. The lack of ball movement and crisp sets run is coming back to bite the Spurs in ass. You couple that with brilliant hard nosed physical defensive by Memphis and you get the catastrophe unfolding right in front of our eyes.

Memphis shot abnormally high percentages given their regular season stats and much of that has to do with personnel on-court. Individually this team doesn't have great combo individual/P&N defenders outside of Kawhi, Green and Dedmon. Many posters, including myself, saw this coming from a mile away. This team just doesn't have a capable playmaker outside of Kawhi. And the current players aren't that kind either outside of Manu who flat out looks a step away retirement.

For the Spurs to win this series, Memphis will have to start missing their shots if they continue getting good looks, which they will continue to get unless this team starts imposing their will on them. A team that looks like they belong in a 90's NBA regular season game playing as the fucking Vancouver Grizzlies with an antiquated offense, slugged/rugged defensive scheme is clowning a team with NBA HOF'ers a few years removed from a title. Maybe it's just that Timmy is truly missed...who fucking knows

Mikeanaro
04-24-2017, 12:11 AM
As we can see young hungry coaches give new players a chance when they have potential if his regular players are being unproductive, tonight Canaan scored 13 - 2 rebounds - 3 assists and 2 steals for the Bulls ... second best scorer for them and +11, while Stevens gave a chance to Gerald Green that produced 18 points and 7 rebounds +4.

We have Murray and other times players that could make a difference like Marco and Patty when they were hot and he chooses his stupid veterans and its a 100% fail.
Playing safe even when you have 95% of chances to lose if you dont look other options is dumbfuck.

His lack of balls never ceases to amaze me, when refs fuck with us time after time and old man picks the goody 2 shoes role.
Why you should respect people that is giving other team advantages for no reason at all? You scream about the president and say nothing about a couple of old midgets with a whistle? fuck you pizza face.

apalisoc_9
04-24-2017, 04:22 PM
Btw, a few media people noticed the shitty lineup in the 4th.

Just not enough balls to call him out.

spursistan
04-24-2017, 06:37 PM

Snaq O'Meal
04-24-2017, 07:55 PM

No surprises here. Pop calls this "pounding the rock."

MaNu4Tres
04-24-2017, 10:14 PM
Eli missed another important possession.. tbh..

SAGirl
04-24-2017, 11:00 PM
I just looked at some of those clips and why even have david lee there for a defensive possession guarding a 3 pt shooter. smdh at POP
God damn Pop
He probably needed to watch the block party Simms/Anderson threw in game 1 I believe... heck what about Danny.... Lee just stands there, doesn't commit to prevent a drive and he doesn't have the length Kyle would have had to try to make a play on that ball or the hops Simms had to try to block a shot... or the defense of a specialist like Danny.
god damn Pop.

DMC
04-25-2017, 12:25 AM
Why?

Pop has been insulated so well that he tells the media to go fuck themselves and they write flowery articles about it because Pop felt a tinge of guilt when Sager was diagnosed with cancer. Pop had a media personality in SA basically fired by locking him out of interviews because he asked a tough question. Pop thinks the media that surrounds the game he gets paid millions to participate in is basically useless. Pop is an asshole to a flaw, then he breaks a bit because he remembers his paycheck comes from the fact that people outside of the Spurs organization pay money to keep up with the team, to watch them, to buy merchandise. Oh he'll admit it very candidly if you bring it up, that without fans he's probably a high school teacher somewhere, but of all the "get over himself" remarks he's made over the years, he's the one who hasn't done so. This is why he says "I can't believe they allow me to coach them like I do" meaning "fuck them over, curse them out and then sit them in crucial moments".

Still, he's a better coach than anyone else coaching the game, but he's a real piece of work. It's refreshing though when the majority of the ROTL has sycophant coaches who don't really coach, they just cheerlead and rely on the team alpha to make all the decisions.

Aside from all of that, Pop is a master tactician. He knows more about the inner workings of the team than all the fans combined. That means Pop has to think financially as well as tactically where competitiveness is concerned. The team has to make a profit, because in a small market like SA, you cannot spend 150m a year on a playoff bubble team just because they all have names. Pop will instead spend under 100m and still field a competitive team, make a profit, create some local stars like Mills and Danny Green, and when contract time comes around, Pop is in the drivers seat because no "role" guy can have his agent cite stats to Pop. The agent cannot gain traction from threatening to look elsewhere because Pop has a plug and play system and it's well known (even if it's not totally true).

Pop has molded his world to suit himself. That's what great leaders do. In the process he's delivered 5 rings to a city that had zero when he arrived.

spurraider21
04-25-2017, 03:54 AM
Why?

Pop has been insulated so well that he tells the media to go fuck themselves and they write flowery articles about it because Pop felt a tinge of guilt when Sager was diagnosed with cancer. Pop had a media personality in SA basically fired by locking him out of interviews because he asked a tough question. Pop thinks the media that surrounds the game he gets paid millions to participate in is basically useless. Pop is an asshole to a flaw, then he breaks a bit because he remembers his paycheck comes from the fact that people outside of the Spurs organization pay money to keep up with the team, to watch them, to buy merchandise. Oh he'll admit it very candidly if you bring it up, that without fans he's probably a high school teacher somewhere, but of all the "get over himself" remarks he's made over the years, he's the one who hasn't done so. This is why he says "I can't believe they allow me to coach them like I do" meaning "fuck them over, curse them out and then sit them in crucial moments".

Still, he's a better coach than anyone else coaching the game, but he's a real piece of work. It's refreshing though when the majority of the ROTL has sycophant coaches who don't really coach, they just cheerlead and rely on the team alpha to make all the decisions.

Aside from all of that, Pop is a master tactician. He knows more about the inner workings of the team than all the fans combined. That means Pop has to think financially as well as tactically where competitiveness is concerned. The team has to make a profit, because in a small market like SA, you cannot spend 150m a year on a playoff bubble team just because they all have names. Pop will instead spend under 100m and still field a competitive team, make a profit, create some local stars like Mills and Danny Green, and when contract time comes around, Pop is in the drivers seat because no "role" guy can have his agent cite stats to Pop. The agent cannot gain traction from threatening to look elsewhere because Pop has a plug and play system and it's well known (even if it's not totally true).

Pop has molded his world to suit himself. That's what great leaders do. In the process he's delivered 5 rings to a city that had zero when he arrived.damn, didn't know about that. what were the details on that?

Arcadian
04-25-2017, 04:19 AM
Manu and Green shot 2 for 14.

<looks at them, arms crossed>

DMC
04-25-2017, 07:49 AM
damn, didn't know about that. what were the details on that?

Had to do with the firing of Bob Hill.

duncan2k5
04-25-2017, 01:32 PM
At this rate, it seems like whatever we want Pop to do,we should suggest he do the opposite...

MultiTroll
04-25-2017, 01:49 PM
Excellent article.
Did any of the local media pussies even comment on the subject of Pop's defensive assignments with the game on the line?

UZER
04-25-2017, 02:45 PM
Excellent article.
Did any of the local media pussies even comment on the subject of Pop's defensive assignments with the game on the line?

:lol.....No.

spurs1990
04-25-2017, 03:19 PM
damn, didn't know about that. what were the details on that?

This thread has some good details - Timvp has a take in it
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197011

But knowing everything we know about Pop from a distance it isn't too surprising to find out he's an egotistical, hothead, asshole of a person.
Definitely not a guy I'd wanna tick off.