PDA

View Full Version : LA needs to step up, tbh.

DAF86
04-25-2017, 10:59 PM
Enough with those weak ass jumpers. He has proven to have some pretty strong moves when he wants to. It's just baffling why he doesn't do that more often. His ratio is 15 ugly, soft fadeways per game to 1 or 2 strong manly moves. I don't get it. Somebody in the coaching staff needs to get his head out of his ass and tell him to take it hard to the hole every single fucking time.

Nathan89
04-25-2017, 11:04 PM
He needs to get traded.

spursistan
04-25-2017, 11:05 PM
He needs to get traded.

urunobili
04-25-2017, 11:06 PM
If he plays averaging 20pts per game, the aspira have a far shot but a shot nonetheless tona ship. No elite LMA, no ring

PopTheGOAT
04-25-2017, 11:07 PM
He is what he is. And that is a slightly above average player right now.

TheGreatYacht
04-25-2017, 11:07 PM
:cry but he needs the ball more :cry

Spur|n|Austin
04-25-2017, 11:08 PM
He needs to get traded.

midnightpulp
+20 tonight. Battled in the trenches, grabbing rebounds and such.

He's been very good defensively, but can obviously step up more offensively.

Pauleta14
Not a good match up for him, too physical...

If we pass the grizz, he'll be the man of the next series.

sasaint
He needs to get traded.

DarrinS
04-25-2017, 11:09 PM

Good take

MultiTroll
04-25-2017, 11:12 PM

No, the exact point of the OP is to get more physical.
He obviously can, just most of the time does not.

Had a couple great physical plays tonight.

ducks
04-25-2017, 11:13 PM
When did Duncan go off against zach ?

MultiTroll
04-25-2017, 11:14 PM
I don't get it. Somebody in the coaching staff needs to get his head out of his ass and tell him to take it hard to the hole every single fucking time.
When the coach on the bench with the most testosterone is named Becky, I don't see it happening.

Yeah when he drove Fatty Gasol back and then banked the short jumper. Nails!
Also the clear out O rebound and putbacks. More more!

Spurs da champs
When did Duncan go off against zach ?

Timmy had a nasty dunk on Marc Gasol on more than one occasion.

jag
Richard Jefferson 2.0

DPG21920
04-25-2017, 11:15 PM
He will pay dividends when he's not battling monsters down low. Also, I was very encouraged with some of his aggression. He's trying to rip the rim down and being more assertive.

BillMc
04-25-2017, 11:16 PM

spursistan
04-25-2017, 11:16 PM
Richard Jefferson 2.0

FkLA
04-25-2017, 11:17 PM
+20 tonight. Battled in the trenches, grabbing rebounds and such.

He's been very good defensively, but can obviously step up more offensively.

This. It's hard to hate him when he plays so hard defensively. Ive lowered my expectations. Him playing like a bonafide 2nd option consistently aint happening at this point.

sasaint
04-25-2017, 11:18 PM
When the coach on the bench with the most testosterone is named Becky, I don't see it happening.

Yeah when he drove Fatty Gasol back and then banked the short jumper. Nails!
Also the clear out O rebound and putbacks. More more!

:lol but unfortunately true.

baseline bum
04-25-2017, 11:19 PM
Aldridge is a guy who takes long jumpers. It's who he has always been. It's why he is so inconsistent. If that jumper is falling and teams have to get up on him he gets easy shots inside and will drop 40 on you. If he's not hot he's just as liable to go off for 8 points on any given night. He's never going to be Tim Duncan or David Robinson.

DMC
04-25-2017, 11:19 PM
Yall don't get it that Zbo and Marc Gasol are a mean fucking tandem. That team is really just a Paul George away from being dangerous. Rudy Gay didn't do it, but Paul George would make them scary because he's also a great defender. Imagine having George, Allen, Gasol, Zbo and Conley on the floor. You couldn't score.

midnightpulp
04-25-2017, 11:21 PM
This. It's hard to hate him when he plays so hard defensively. Ive lowered my expectations. Him playing like a bonafide 2nd option consistently aint happening at this point.

It's tough for bigs now. Check out most of the playoff teams. Not a dominant big among them. I'll be happy with 15 and 8 from him and working hard in the trenches.

DAF86
04-25-2017, 11:29 PM

Good take

He will pay dividends when he's not battling monsters down low. Also, I was very encouraged with some of his aggression. He's trying to rip the rim down and being more assertive.

Yall don't get it that Zbo and Marc Gasol are a mean fucking tandem. That team is really just a Paul George away from being dangerous. Rudy Gay didn't do it, but Paul George would make them scary because he's also a great defender. Imagine having George, Allen, Gasol, Zbo and Conley on the floor. You couldn't score.

Why are you all acting like this series LA isn't the same LA we have seen all season? Doesn't matter who he is up against, he will always do the same: take 15 bland midrange jumpers and, out of nowhere, have one monster, beastly move to the basket.

TheGreatYacht
04-25-2017, 11:36 PM
Aldridge is the ultimate Rockets killer. At least when Terrence Jones was on the team. We'll see how he does next series

As for the idiot who wants him to get more shots against the Grizzlies bigs tho.... :lol

DPG21920
04-25-2017, 11:40 PM
Why are you all acting like this series LA isn't the same LA we have seen all season? Doesn't matter who he is up against, he will always do the same: take 15 bland midrange jumpers and, out of nowhere, have one monster, beastly move to the basket.

I'm saying I have noticed a difference in him past 2 games. He's not going to morph completely but he's battling hard against a crazy physical MEM team and making more and more aggressive moves on offense.

FkLA
04-25-2017, 11:44 PM

This I can agree with. Would like to see him bully niggas in the paint more, since he's shown that ability. He's expending a lot of energy banging with Gasol/ZBo though so this might not be the best series for him. Hopefully we'll start seeing more of that against HOU and GS.

DPG21920
04-25-2017, 11:53 PM
This has been a great series for SA tbh..I mean, with the level of physicality and Kawhi doing his thing and dealing with hard traps and doubles all over. Especially with MEM offense exploding and Conley playing every bit as good as Harden, it's been a great wake up call.

Basically a better defensive and more physical version of HOU (despite different styles).

DAF86
04-26-2017, 12:05 AM
This has been a great series for SA tbh..I mean, with the level of physicality and Kawhi doing his thing and dealing with hard traps and doubles all over. Especially with MEM offense exploding and Conley playing every bit as good as Harden, it's been a great wake up call.

Basically a better defensive and more physical version of HOU (despite different styles).

Yeah, no. :lol

Slow down a bit, the Rockets will provide a neck breaking pace on the second round, it wouldn't surprise me if D'antoni's main emphasis is outdoing their regular season selves to hit SA or Memphis with a major change of pace compared to their 1st round affair, and never let them set in.

DPG21920
04-26-2017, 12:14 AM
Yeah, no. :lol

Slow down a bit, the Rockets will provide a neck breaking pace on the second round, it wouldn't surprise me if D'antoni's main emphasis is outdoing their regular season selves to hit SA or Memphis with a major change of pace compared to their 1st round affair, and never let them set in.

Im talking about from an offensive rating perspective. MEM offense in games 3-5 has been incredible. Far beyond what they normally do. That was unexpected and a good wake up call for a ball dominant guard (Conley vs Harden) albeit very different types of offenses.

Then MEM is so much more physical and disciplined on defense than HOU is.

Arcadian
04-26-2017, 12:14 AM
He's playing within the offense. What, do you want him to iso in the post like he's Tim Duncan? If he shot it more, people would accuse him of forcing it and taking away shots from Kawhi.

spurraider21
04-26-2017, 12:15 AM
he's been battling with memphis bigs and playing phsyical, but we need him to be a reliable scorer against other teams going forward... we dont need a glorified reggie evans against the rockets and warriors :lol

coachmac87
04-26-2017, 12:17 AM
Enough with those weak ass jumpers. He has proven to have some pretty strong moves when he wants to. It's just baffling why he doesn't do that more often. His ratio is 15 ugly, soft fadeways per game to 1 or 2 strong manly moves. I don't get it. Somebody in the coaching staff needs to get his head out of his ass and tell him to take it hard to the hole every single fucking time.

Aldridge has always been a guy who made his career shooting midrange jumpers..it's just unfortunate he's even lost confidence in that lol

DAF86
04-26-2017, 12:20 AM
He's playing within the offense. What, do you want him to iso in the post like he's Tim Duncan? if he shot it more, people would accuse him of forcing it and taking away shots from Kawhi.

No, I want him to be agressive and take it to the rim the times he does get the ball, instead of taking soft, midrange fadeaways that have no chance of going in. It's not a matter of quantity, it's a matter of quality.

DMC
04-26-2017, 12:35 AM
Like he wasn't like that in Portland?

The parable of the frog and the scorpion comes to mind.

In 15 or so years Pop couldn't stop Manu from throwing the ball into the stands. He couldn't stop Tony from overdribbling and freezing out specific players for extended periods. He couldn't get Bonner to move his feet on defense. He couldn't get Tiago to defend instead of trying to take a charge. You expect him to change how an all star plays?

DAF86
04-26-2017, 12:42 AM
Like he wasn't like that in Portland?

The parable of the frog and the scorpion comes to mind.

In 15 or so years Pop couldn't stop Manu from throwing the ball into the stands. He couldn't stop Tony from overdribbling and freezing out specific players for extended periods. He couldn't get Bonner to move his feet on defense. He couldn't get Tiago to defend instead of trying to take a charge. You expect him to change how an all star plays?

LA is no longer an all-star, and yeah, the shit I'm asking is pretty easy to change. In fact, last season LA had more shots on the paint than in any other season of his career.

Anyway, you are moving the goal posts per par. You started saying LA's game this series is being affected by the physicality of the Grizzlies frontcourt, and now you are rambling about LA always playing this way. :lol

DMC
04-26-2017, 12:45 AM
LA is no longer an all-star, and yeah, the shit I'm asking is pretty easy to change. In fact, last season LA had more shots on the paint than in any other season of his career.

Anyway, you are moving the goal posts per par. You started saying LA's game this series is being affected by the physicality of the Grizzlies frontcourt, and now you are rambling about LA always playing this way. :lol

LA was highly sought after when he became a free agent. That wasn't because Pop thought he could mold him like he's done so many bigs under his tutelage.

You're conflating "always playing this way" with "bad results". LMA hasn't always had bad results. Spurs have the 2nd best RS record in the NBA. LMA has always had this style of play when he's had to get into a half court set and not run the break. You act like LMA was a monster at the rim when he became a free agent. Don't go buy a van and try to make it into an SUV. Buy an SUV.

DAF86
04-26-2017, 12:50 AM
LA was highly sought after when he became a free agent. That wasn't because Pop thought he could mold him like he's done so many bigs under his tutelage.

You're conflating "always playing this way" with "bad results". LMA hasn't always had bad results. Spurs have the 2nd best RS record in the NBA. LMA has always had this style of play when he's had to get into a half court set and not run the break. You act like LMA was a monster at the rim when he became a free agent. Don't go buy a van and try to make it into an SUV. Buy an SUV.

OK, and what does that have to do with your original comment on this thread, which prompted all this argument? :lol

SpursIndonesia
04-26-2017, 02:12 AM
I think we have to accept that LMA is not the kind of player that's willing to keep on absorbing hard punishment on his body by the defenders, that's jut not the way his mental fortitude is built. At least he is playing pretty well defensively and knocking some jumpers here & there.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-26-2017, 02:21 AM
He's been good, I think. Sure, he's not had offensive explosions, but he's the only consistent big, both on offense and defense. He's the second best scorer, leading rebounder, has had only a couple of turnovers for the whole series, while at same time defending against the Gasol-Randolph front line, which he's done quite well too. Also, one thing he always does when switched on guards is to try to defend the shot, instead of going for the rebound. Watching Gobert, for example, he constantly let the Clippers guards to shoot open mid range Js and just turned his back on them and went to chase the rebound.

I think he's actually been very physical and not allowed to be pushed around by these two. There's hardly a more physical front line they'd get to play against in the playoffs.

szkorhetz
04-26-2017, 05:24 AM
He is amazing on D, TBH.

Robz4000
04-26-2017, 05:30 AM
Love LMA's D. Would love more offense from him but he's literally going against a former DPOY every possession; gotta be real with what we expect from him on that end.

spursgu
04-26-2017, 05:48 AM
I think he's been fine all things considered. That frontline hes going up against is no joke.

100%duncan
04-26-2017, 06:38 AM
Somehow someway, he'll always gets a pass. But TP having 1 bad game mind you, and he's lynched.

Someone remind me, did we play the Grizz for 82 games this season? Because Aldridge has always played like a pussy Gasol/Zbo or not.

cutewizard
04-26-2017, 06:55 AM

-------------------------------------

Amen brother......

Chinook
04-26-2017, 07:10 AM
Considering how much Z-Bo cheats when the ball is in the air (never seen a player get away with more shoves to the other guy's necks), LMA's been fine. It's hard to fault the Spurs' top three options right now.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-26-2017, 07:18 AM
Considering how much Z-Bo cheats when the ball is in the air (never seen a player get away with more shoves to the other guy's necks), LMA's been fine. It's hard to fault the Spurs' top three options right now.

Refs have allowed both ZBo and Gasol to push and shove all the time when any Spurs big, mainly LMA, is trying to establish a position in the post. This is why in the halfcourt offense by the time the ball gets to LMA he's already pushed closer to the 3 point line than to the rim. I'm sure if they get called a couple of times now Fizdale will throw a tantrum again but that's very blatant and they get away with it every time.

Chinook
04-26-2017, 07:27 AM
Refs have allowed both ZBo and Gasol to push and shove all the time when any Spurs big, mainly LMA, is trying to establish a position in the post. This is why in the halfcourt offense by the time the ball gets to LMA he's already pushed closer to the 3 point line than to the rim. I'm sure if they get called a couple of times now Fizdale will throw a tantrum again but that's very blatant and they get away with it every time.

I'm not sure how I'll feel if the Spurs manage to close this series out without really complaining about calls at all. Game Four was a bigger skew in terms of FT disparity from the norm than Game Two was, but because no one complained, we didn't hear shit about it. This series might be unfairly considered closer than it has been. Memphis has pretty much had to cheat to get their two games (especially Game Four).

sananspursfan21
04-26-2017, 07:51 AM
...take it hard to the hole every single fucking time.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/webkit-fake-url://407a5820-2862-4086-b366-78310f3007cf/imagegif

skulls138
04-26-2017, 07:55 AM
He doesnt have alot of coordination. Hes afraid of it getting stripped down low so chucks it. He should work out with Randolph in the offseason.

Brazil
04-26-2017, 09:30 AM
As already stated, cannot hate the dude he is battling on Defense like hell but yeah when your second best offensive player is a 34 y/o Parker you are in trouble tbh

dabom
04-26-2017, 09:38 AM
I'd say LMa has been our second best player. Just my the sheer amount of time he plays on the floor. He is average on offense but consistent on defense.

SAGirl
04-26-2017, 09:52 AM
Criticism is well deserved. He does compete on defense so he's hard to hate (hate is a strong word. One can criticize a player and not hate, a concept that's missed here often as trolls either love blindly or hate blindly). Anyways, I actually tend to dislike guys who play no defense (not a Lee fan for example but I do wish him the best as he's very skilled offensively).
Anyways, Lamarcus game on offense tends to be limited and he's a very poor passer out of doubles whether bc of lack of low bbiq or being soft. He's playing like a role player, which won't get it done at times role players are off, shooters have a cold stretch, etc. At times he disappears too.

coachmac87
04-26-2017, 10:47 AM
LMA just needs to be dominant against GSW. Yes we will need him against Houston...but punishing GSW is what matters most. They don't have an answer for him and criticizing his play in that series would be fair if he doesn't play well

MultiTroll
04-26-2017, 10:50 AM
^^ I think he needs to be dominant vs Memphis. :lol

Need we be reminded we were up 3-2 vs the Clippers in 2015?
Up 2-1 vs Billy Donovan and OKC?

I don't consider this series over. We could still be Popped.

skulls138
04-26-2017, 12:25 PM
I really dont mind him not scoring alot because he gets worried and starts fighting hard. I think other guys respond to that like Mills. Just a feeling.

Dex
04-26-2017, 12:27 PM
LMA has been this way his whole career. He can play inside, but instead relies on his jumper. He was just getting twice the shots in Portland, and his jumper was more money then, so it inflated his offensive numbers.

Even I'll admit that he hasn't been the max guy that we thought we were getting...but he is still doing an admirable job and is under-rated around here. He is really putting in the work on defense and on the boards, and he is still a threat to go off in any game. Now he can even step out and stretch the floor a bit.

If he could put in a consistent 15 PPG and be a factor on both ends, I'd take that over him scoring 20 PPG and half-assing it everywhere else.

If he could do both...well that would be really really nice, but the world isn't a perfect place sometimes.

Raven
04-26-2017, 12:35 PM
not worried.

duncan2k5
04-26-2017, 01:03 PM

THIS!!!! and our coaches feel like they are too high brow to call it out, but if you dont, the refs are gonna just assume you dont think it's a problem...they MAUL LA everytime he touches the ball down low...with that said, he needs to BANG them down low because ZBO cant handle him in the post...and gasol will never leave his feet...LA gets trapped trying to pump fake gasol, when he needs to just take it into his chest...i dont even think gasol is averaging a block a game for this series...

i must say though...LA has been rebounding like a BEAST at crucial times...he just needs to keep it up the whole game

Dex
04-26-2017, 01:12 PM
THIS!!!! and our coaches feel like they are too high brow to call it out, but if you dont, the refs are gonna just assume you dont think it's a problem...they MAUL LA everytime he touches the ball down low...with that said, he needs to BANG them down low because ZBO cant handle him in the post...and gasol will never leave his feet...LA gets trapped trying to pump fake gasol, when he needs to just take it into his chest...i dont even think gasol is averaging a block a game for this series...

i must say though...LA has been rebounding like a BEAST at crucial times...he just needs to keep it up the whole game

LMA got Gasol to bite on a pump fake last night and drew two three throws from it.

I know that's just one example but...never say never.

DAF86
04-26-2017, 02:19 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/webkit-fake-url://407a5820-2862-4086-b366-78310f3007cf/imagegif

Can't see the pic, but I'm guessing a "that's what she said" joke?

skulls138
04-26-2017, 07:56 PM
LMA got Gasol to bite on a pump fake last night and drew two three throws from it.

I know that's just one example but...never say never.LA got lucky Marc bit on that fake, hes usually smarter than that. LA needs to have a better repertoire of moves. Despite that he had a great game though.

sananspursfan21
04-26-2017, 10:15 PM
Can't see the pic, but I'm guessing a "that's what she said" joke?

Agggggghhhh yeah it showed up when I inserted it but when I clicked 'post reply', it disappeared :depressed

It was a Michael Scott gif

Sigz
04-27-2017, 07:49 AM
This soft player will never step up.

He's a mental midget.

DAF86
05-01-2017, 09:15 PM
Folks putting excuses for LMA on this thread. :lol

":cry b...but that Grizzlies frontcourt :cry"

tholdren
05-01-2017, 09:16 PM
this be the reason Portland always got bounced

DAF86
05-01-2017, 10:29 PM

Good take

He's been good, I think. Sure, he's not had offensive explosions, but he's the only consistent big, both on offense and defense. He's the second best scorer, leading rebounder, has had only a couple of turnovers for the whole series, while at same time defending against the Gasol-Randolph front line, which he's done quite well too. Also, one thing he always does when switched on guards is to try to defend the shot, instead of going for the rebound. Watching Gobert, for example, he constantly let the Clippers guards to shoot open mid range Js and just turned his back on them and went to chase the rebound.

I think he's actually been very physical and not allowed to be pushed around by these two. There's hardly a more physical front line they'd get to play against in the playoffs.

Love LMA's D. Would love more offense from him but he's literally going against a former DPOY every possession; gotta be real with what we expect from him on that end.

I think he's been fine all things considered. That frontline hes going up against is no joke.

not worried.

Not realizing it wasn't a matchup problem. :lol

Robz4000
05-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Yeah, he's looked awful; no spin on it.

DMC
05-01-2017, 10:34 PM
Not realizing it wasn't a matchup problem. :lol

Not saying anything about it till now because you're a pussy :lol

Sure it's a matchup problem. It's always a matchup problem.

DAF86
05-01-2017, 10:40 PM
Not saying anything about it till now because you're a pussy :lol

Sure it's a matchup problem. It's always a matchup problem.

The fuck does that suppose to mean? I said all this during the Grizzlies series. How fucking slow can you be? :lol

DMC
05-01-2017, 11:10 PM
The fuck does that suppose to mean? I said all this during the Grizzlies series. How fucking slow can you be? :lol

From the "Dream Offseason" thread..

-Tim comes back.
-Manu comes back (reduced 15/20 minutes role with less ball-handling responsibilities).
-Resign Danny, Belli and Baynes.
-Sign Aldridge.
-Hope Parker can regain his form.
-Develop Kyle Anderson and/or sign/draft a young athletic wing.
-Sign/draft a stretch 4.
-See what you can get from Tiago if nothing good comes up keep him as a backup center.

Tony/Patty/Joseph
Green/Manu/Belli
Leonard/Anderson/Wing
Aldridge/Diaw/Stretch 4
Duncan/Tiago/Baynes

DAF86
05-01-2017, 11:19 PM
From the "Dream Offseason" thread..

So? He was the biggest free agent name out there, of course getting him was great. His first season here he was pretty damn good, and this season he was decent enough.

He was definitely worth getting, despite how soft he is on the offensive end he is still by far our best bigman. And if anything, he still gives us value on any possible future trade we can get involving him.

That doesn't take away from the fact that he needs to find a way to stop being a fucking cancer on offense.

DMC
05-01-2017, 11:24 PM
So? He was the biggest free agent name out there, of course getting him was great. His first season here he was pretty damn good, and this season he was decent enough.

He was definitely worth getting, despite how soft he is on the offensive end he is still by far our best bigman. And if anything, he still gives us value on any possible future trade we can get involving him.

That doesn't take away from the fact that he needs to find a way to stop being a fucking cancer on offense.

:lol

"I said... I said.... I said"

You didn't want to claim that "I said" did ya?

Just checkin assholes, you was next.

DAF86
05-01-2017, 11:30 PM
:lol

"I said... I said.... I said"

You didn't want to claim that "I said" did ya?

Just checkin assholes, you was next.

Wow, you trully are one dumb ass human being, tbh.

What the fuck does "Aldridge needs to step up" have to do with thinking getting Aldridge was the no-brainer move at the moment?

I still think it was the correct move, but let's pretend like I changed my mind and think getting Aldridge was not worth it at all. What does that have to do with the fact that I currently think he needs to step up on the offensive end and that I knew that the "matchup" thing wasn't really the reason he had a subpar offensive series in the first round?

DMC
05-02-2017, 06:49 AM
^:lol

NameLess Scrub
05-02-2017, 07:59 AM
He needs to be bullied for 4 straight games to get angry and show some will to win.
Sadly, this series will probably not last 5 games.

Dingle Barry
05-02-2017, 08:14 AM
Wow, you trully are one dumb ass human being, tbh.

What the fuck does "Aldridge needs to step up" have to do with thinking getting Aldridge was the no-brainer move at the moment?

I still think it was the correct move, but let's pretend like I changed my mind and think getting Aldridge was not worth it at all. What does that have to do with the fact that I currently think he needs to step up on the offensive end and that I knew that the "matchup" thing wasn't really the reason he had a subpar offensive series in the first round?

Nothing. DMC just thought he burned you bad with that 2 yr old quote. He probably spent an hour looking for it, just let him enjoy the fruit of his labor. :lol

cd98
05-02-2017, 08:30 AM
LMA letting us know how great Tim was.