PDA

View Full Version : Stop going under the Conley pick and roll!

duncan2k5
04-26-2017, 12:16 AM
And double the post if one of them gets going...it is easy! Smh...they keep switching the pick and roll and getting killed!

itzsoweezee
04-26-2017, 12:24 AM
And double the post if one of them gets going...it is easy! Smh...they keep switching the pick and roll and getting killed!

Kawhi did not go under when he was guarding Conley. You're expecting too much if you expect Patty to chase a guy getting a screen.

vander
04-26-2017, 12:30 AM
I disagree. switch, go under, pack the paint, make them keep hitting threes, those easy layups were very aggravating

04-26-2017, 12:32 AM
I disagree. switch, go under, pack the paint, make them keep hitting threes, those easy layups were very aggravating
lol when they switch a big on Conley, he gets to the hoop with ease.

TheRemix
04-26-2017, 12:34 AM
You only need to switch if conley is hitting threes off the dribble at a high clip like curry. Sometimes our guys switch off when they don't really need too and conley feasts on the big man that ends up gaurding him.

boutons_deux
04-26-2017, 12:35 AM
how many uncontested layups did Conley get tonight? this series. drives me nuts, no help defense down low

vander
04-26-2017, 12:36 AM
lol when they switch a big on Conley, he gets to the hoop with ease.

well the big needed to sag more, bait him into the jumper, and the rest of the D never helped either.

DMC
04-26-2017, 12:43 AM
The problem is Pau staring at Conley for 3 seconds instead of closing out on him. He's done that a few times this series, like "hey I know you, how's Marc? Wait, I'm on the other team and you're... you're.. you're at the 3pt line... let me check your stats on my phone, it's in my locker brb... ok it says you do well off the screen. I see a screen just happened and you're about to shoot. If I close out on you, I have a small chance of blocking your shot but a bigger chance of making you miss, but my brain has to tell my legs to actually go defend.. so let's see how this goes..."

Conley for 3...

siraulo23
04-26-2017, 08:28 AM
Man I miss Duncan/Splitter pick and roll defense

Then Kawhi can just roam and play the passing lanes, and he can afford to overplay when u got 2 bigs with great def awareness

siraulo23
04-26-2017, 08:33 AM
The problem is mainly to do with personnel. It doesnt matter if you go over/under, eventually the defense is gonna break down because you have 2 slow footed bigs. This is ultimately why the spurs are gonna struggle next round assuming they get past memphis

Russ
04-26-2017, 09:40 AM
The worst will be the Houston series (hopefully) when LMA keeps getting isolated on Harden.

LMA is an adequate defender but he can't guard Harden for even a moment without getting torched.

If there's any way to avoid that . . .

Chinook
04-26-2017, 09:46 AM
The way the Griz stick their butts out on their picks, you can't really go over. You just end up out of the play. Or you try to slip over it, and you end up getting called for that cheap-as-shit pull-up foul.

wildbill2u
04-26-2017, 11:17 AM
Why doesn't anyone call out Danny Green, supposedly our 2nd best defender, for disappearing on offense and defense.

Chinook
04-26-2017, 11:50 AM
Why doesn't anyone call out Danny Green, supposedly our 2nd best defender, for disappearing on offense and defense.

a) "Calling out" on a message board is ridiculous.
b) Green's been neutered by the refs. Gasol keeps bumping him into Conley if he tries to play him tight.

NameLess Scrub
04-26-2017, 11:53 AM
The problem is Pau staring at Conley for 3 seconds instead of closing out on him. He's done that a few times this series, like "hey I know you, how's Marc? Wait, I'm on the other team and you're... you're.. you're at the 3pt line... let me check your stats on my phone, it's in my locker brb... ok it says you do well off the screen. I see a screen just happened and you're about to shoot. If I close out on you, I have a small chance of blocking your shot but a bigger chance of making you miss, but my brain has to tell my legs to actually go defend.. so let's see how this goes..."

Conley for 3...

This sounds very plausible.

wildbill2u
04-26-2017, 12:38 PM
a) "Calling out" on a message board is ridiculous.
b) Green's been neutered by the refs. Gasol keeps bumping him into Conley if he tries to play him tight.

What I'm seeing is Green trailing behind Conley by several feet and following him around the pick man as Conley motors down the lane. Green does that a lot when he doesn't have his focus on moving to stay in front of his man. I think he doesn't like contact from a big TBH.

duncan2k5
04-26-2017, 12:52 PM
how many uncontested layups did Conley get tonight? this series. drives me nuts, no help defense down low

he got them by them switching the big man...we need to follow him over the pick and roll

duncan2k5
04-26-2017, 12:53 PM
i made a mistake in the title...i meant to say stop switching the pick and roll...not stop going under

playbonner15
04-26-2017, 12:55 PM
The team doesnt want to body Conley like the Grizz does to Parker and Mills. You can see the difference in space this team goves against Conley. I dunno why maybe its a Pop strategy to allow Conley to keep scoring near the rim then stick Kawhi on him at the 4th quarter when it matters the most

duncan2k5
04-26-2017, 12:55 PM
What I'm seeing is Green trailing behind Conley by several feet and following him around the pick man as Conley motors down the lane. Green does that a lot when he doesn't have his focus on moving to stay in front of his man. I think he doesn't like contact from a big TBH.
exactly...green doesnt fight hard enough to get back in front his man after he goes over the pick...he basically takes himself out the play with lazy defense

Chinook
04-26-2017, 12:58 PM

The Spurs D encourages their defenders trailing the screen to intercept the pass to the roll-man. The big is supposed to actually be an obstacle for the handler though. If you look at the fouls he's gotten the last three games, they have often come from him fighting over the screen and getting called. He's not great at navigating picks, for sure. But he's not afraid of contact with bigs at all. Dude fights well in the post on switches.

duncan2k5
04-26-2017, 01:08 PM
The Spurs D encourages their defenders trailing the screen to intercept the pass to the roll-man. The big is supposed to actually be an obstacle for the handler though. If you look at the fouls he's gotten the last three games, they have often come from him fighting over the screen and getting called. He's not great at navigating picks, for sure. But he's not afraid of contact with bigs at all. Dude fights well in the post on switches.

but he is often behind the ballhandler...that isnt good defense...he isnt between the ballhandler and the roll man most of the time...that forces the big to have to step in, and that way the roll man has an easy dump off...most of defense is effort...he simply has played horrible defense this series, and it is due to a lack of effort...it seems as if he is afraid to shoot, and his uncertainty on offense plays into his defense...

Chinook
04-26-2017, 01:17 PM
but he is often behind the ballhandler...that isnt good defense...

Yes, and that's what the Spurs' D has been doing this year. The gap to jump the pass comes later in the play, when the big gets closer to the paint.

https://youtu.be/0xRNzatlJEI?t=423

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xRNzatlJEI

(Just past the 7:00 mark.)

The problem is that Memphis is getting away with extra contact to bump the Spurs further off course, which is compounded by the Spurs having a hard time getting around it without being whistled. This prevents them from following Conley like they had before. Earlier in the series, they were able to guard the way they have been all year, and it shut Conley down.

Seventyniner
04-26-2017, 01:54 PM
The problem is that Memphis is getting away with extra contact to bump the Spurs further off course, which is compounded by the Spurs having a hard time getting around it without being whistled. This prevents them from following Conley like they had before. Earlier in the series, they were able to guard the way they have been all year, and it shut Conley down.

Good find on that video. This might be something that will fix itself in later rounds: if the refs are going to allow a lot of contact, the Spurs should be able to disrupt the Rockets and Warriors by being physical themselves, hopefully counteracting the effects of not being able to play defense like this.

duncan2k5
04-26-2017, 05:39 PM
Yes, and that's what the Spurs' D has been doing this year. The gap to jump the pass comes later in the play, when the big gets closer to the paint.

https://youtu.be/0xRNzatlJEI?t=423

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xRNzatlJEI

(Just past the 7:00 mark.)

bro i understand how defense works...what im saying is that danny hasnt been doing that...he trails the play and is never in position to make a play on anything...look at all the games we have played in the series you will see

Chinook
04-26-2017, 05:46 PM
bro i understand how defense works...

No, you don't. You straight-up said that trailing your man was bad D, and instead of seeing the evidence and admitting that you didn't know the Spurs have been doing that all year, you deflect.

We've talked about why this series has been different. You look at Game One and probably Game Two, and you'll see how wrong you are. Fiz bitching at the refs had hurt the team's ability to guard Conley no matter who has been on him. It's most notable with Danny, since his D on Conley in Game One was legendary. But it's there with everybody, including Kawhi. Mike hasn't been getting his points on just one or two guys.

dabom
04-26-2017, 06:40 PM
I love green but conley just dribbles right past green. Not even a pick needed. Green should obviously stay a starter. I've never seen green this owned by a pg ever. It happens. We probably wont see this vs the other pg's in the playoffs.

spursmvp
04-27-2017, 03:18 AM
Conley is shooting 48% from 3, (2.8 makes per game) against us. Just imagine what harden or curry can do.

Brazil
04-27-2017, 06:46 AM
OP title makes me cringe tbh... oh boy