PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Dedmon be a Poor Man's Ben Wallace?

playbonner15
04-26-2017, 10:23 AM
He can just play defense and score like 2pts and get 15 rebounds. Hope the Spurs get to 2nd round and he models his game to Big Ben

Chinook
04-26-2017, 10:26 AM
Because Wallace was so much better than Dedmon at everything but midrange shooting that he can't be described in the same terms at all.

Dedmon should strive for being a poor man's Mahinmi

sananspursfan21
04-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Dedmon giveth, then Dedmon taketh away

urunobili
04-26-2017, 10:44 AM
I like Dedmon... he likely celebrates too much for Pop's taste... lotsa chest bumpin'

apalisoc_9
04-26-2017, 10:53 AM
He doesn't have the discipline and Defensive IQ to be an all-time great defender. You can't be an all time great defender relying on just athletisim. Dedman is way to "jumpy".

Russ
04-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Orlando foolishly gave up on both of them.

:flag:

UZER
04-26-2017, 11:07 AM
He doesn't have the discipline and Defensive IQ to be an all-time great defender. You can't be an all time great defender relying on just athletisim. Dedman is way to "jumpy".

This is why pop loved Bonner. He never jumped, and was always standing in the right spot. Of course he couldn't rebound in traffic, block shots, or have any defensive impact down low, but hey he was always standing in the right place.

playbonner15
04-26-2017, 11:39 AM
I guess he relies too much on his athleticism. Guess Detroit will take him then. Had high hopes when he was signed by the Spurs but looks like he got exposed even before the Memphis series

Proxy
04-26-2017, 11:48 AM
dude, Big Ben is HoF material

TheGreatYacht
04-26-2017, 12:15 PM
Deadman the foul machine playing against the team leading the league in Free Throws, Houston? Yeah, no.

Dex
04-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Ben Wallace was huge. Not just tall...like a fucking behemoth.

Dedmon is gonna have to start eating a lot more Whataburger and hitting the gym more to even get in the same category as Big Ben.

Seventyniner
04-26-2017, 03:21 PM
Ben Wallace was huge. Not just tall...like a fucking behemoth.

Dedmon is gonna have to start eating a lot more Whataburger and hitting the gym more to even get in the same category as Big Ben.

Big Ben is 6-9, listed at 240 on bkref. I thought I remembered him being somewhat undersized for a center. Still a fantastic defensive player. I couldn't find an official number on his wingspan but 7-2 is listed in a couple of places.

I always thought that Dedmon's ceiling would be a poor man's DeAndre Jordan, albeit with a much better FT stroke.

Dex
04-26-2017, 03:53 PM
Big Ben is 6-9, listed at 240 on bkref. I thought I remembered him being somewhat undersized for a center. Still a fantastic defensive player. I couldn't find an official number on his wingspan but 7-2 is listed in a couple of places.

I always thought that Dedmon's ceiling would be a poor man's DeAndre Jordan, albeit with a much better FT stroke.

That's what I mean though. Big Ben wasn't just tall...because he wasn't really THAT tall by NBA bigman standards.

But he was just massive. Stocky base, huge arms, just all muscle. He didn't need to be tall because he'd just power through you.

Dedmon is tall...but he is lanky as shit. I'm really hoping he works on putting on some muscle over the summer. He needs some weight to throw around under the basket if he doesn't want to get boxed out and outworked for rebounds.

Play Boban
04-26-2017, 05:14 PM
Because Deadman is trash.

DMC
04-26-2017, 05:37 PM
Too dark skinned, doesn't show up well on camera and not very intelligent. Mike Finley overcame it somehow but the Spurs like light skinned blacks.

Seventyniner
04-26-2017, 07:41 PM
That's what I mean though. Big Ben wasn't just tall...because he wasn't really THAT tall by NBA bigman standards.

But he was just massive. Stocky base, huge arms, just all muscle. He didn't need to be tall because he'd just power through you.

Dedmon is tall...but he is lanky as shit. I'm really hoping he works on putting on some muscle over the summer. He needs some weight to throw around under the basket if he doesn't want to get boxed out and outworked for rebounds.

I see, I misunderstood when you said he "wasn't just tall."

SAGirl
04-26-2017, 09:43 PM
I thought of this too, and he has a jumper he can show occasionally and some hook shots I have seen.
He needs to clean up his mistakes though.. that is where he's held back and I like his aggressiveness at the basket but sometimes he tries to jam stuff with 3 guys in the paint and he's blocked or stripped when he could pass the ball back out. I don't know why he doesn't ... but it's possible he's such a poor passer (some TO from him have him throwing the ball where there is no one... ) so maybe he just tries to draw a foul.. but let's forget any passing ability whatsoever, if he could limit his mistakes a bit.. he'd be fine for a rotation big in a championship team.. as it is with mistakes added on top of his limitations on offense, we see where he's at: In the deep bench.

gambit1990
04-26-2017, 09:44 PM
a better question: why is this a thread?

BillMc
04-26-2017, 09:56 PM
Deadman the foul machine playing against the team leading the league in Free Throws, Houston? Yeah, no.
This

BillMc
04-26-2017, 09:58 PM
I thought of this too, and he has a jumper he can show occasionally and some hook shots I have seen.
He needs to clean up his mistakes though.. that is where he's held back and I like his aggressiveness at the basket but sometimes he tries to jam stuff with 3 guys in the paint and he's blocked or stripped when he could pass the ball back out. I don't know why he doesn't ... but it's possible he's such a poor passer (some TO from him have him throwing the ball where there is no one... ) so maybe he just tries to draw a foul.. but let's forget any passing ability whatsoever, if he could limit his mistakes a bit.. he'd be fine for a rotation big in a championship team.. as it is with mistakes added on top of his limitations on offense, we see where he's at: In the deep bench.

Also this

spurraider21
04-26-2017, 10:00 PM
a better question: why is this a thread?this should be the first response to all your threads

Horse
04-26-2017, 10:00 PM
He gets called for bullshit fouls all game

GSH
04-26-2017, 10:33 PM
I don't understand. Deadmon IS a poor man's Ben Wallace. A broke-assed, homeless, derelict man's Ben Wallace.

Down Under
04-26-2017, 11:51 PM
This guy is the best rim protector in the league, who has improved his finishing. Once he learns to stay groundbound more and go straight up when necessary, he'll be a monster. Anyone that started playing organised ball at 18 is still learning the game, let alone learning the NBA.

daslicer
04-26-2017, 11:57 PM
Ben had a higher basketball IQ then Dedmon. Ben knew when to rotate on defense and could guard pick and rolls along with switching on screens much better than Dedmon. Dedmon also has a tendency to rack up a lot of stupid fouls through out the game which is something Ben rarely did. I think Dedmon can be a defensive anchor but he has to get smarter and stop fouling too easily.

TheGreatYacht
04-26-2017, 11:57 PM
I don't get why he gets a pass for being trash just because he learned to play at 18.... I'd understand if he was 23 or 24, but he'll be 28 soon. He's played basketball for a decade and he still has no idea where to be on the offensive side.

Even Jeff Errors found himself in more scoring opportunities. He just couldn't catch or dunk.

ElNono
04-27-2017, 12:02 AM
He's magnitudes better than Mahinmi will ever be, IMO... that's not saying much though...

dabom
04-27-2017, 12:02 AM
He's magnitudes better than Mahinmi will ever be, IMO... that's not saying much though...

Darius Bieber
04-27-2017, 01:06 AM
Mentioning Big Ben and Dedmon in the same sentence should be punishable by death. :lol

Holden_Caulfield
04-27-2017, 01:41 AM
why cant kyle anderson be a poor man's magic johnson?

playbonner15
04-27-2017, 01:51 AM
Instead of aids he should contract gonorrhea :lol

kobyz
04-27-2017, 04:26 AM
The biggest problem with him is lack of confident and assertiveness, he could have been like Clint Capella...

cutewizard
04-27-2017, 09:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWXpyrfEuYo

buttsR4rebounding
04-27-2017, 11:55 AM

Instead of aids he should contract gonorrhea :lol

:lmao

r0drig0lac
04-27-2017, 03:41 PM
wtf, because Ben is one of the greatest defensive players of all time

Joseph Kony
04-27-2017, 04:32 PM
a poor man's ben wallace? so dwight howard? :lol

pgardn
04-27-2017, 07:04 PM
Because Dedmon can't lift small buildings?