PDA

View Full Version : Article: CP to the Spurs if he wants a to compete for a championship

Trueblood
04-27-2017, 09:36 AM
http://thebiglead.com/2017/04/26/chris-paul-san-antonio-spurs/

Interesting article with some truths for CP:

"Chris Paul has been one of the NBA’s premier point guards for a decade now, first in New Orleans, then in Los Angeles, but he’s never won a damn thing. Number of trips to the Conference Finals: 0. After a loss to the Jazz last night, Paul’s one loss away from being ousted in the first round for the second year in a row."

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That’s what staying in LA would be doing."

"So Chris Paul, who turns 32 next month, needs to opt-out of his contract this summer and sign with San Antonio Spurs. Well, if he wants to win anything, he should."

But this guys takes on the Spurs projected lineup next year with Paul was worse than anything I've ever seen on ST (and that's saying something).

"PG: Chris Paul/Tony Parker
SG: Danny Green/Kyle Anderson
SF: Kawhi Leonard/Dejounte Murray
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge/Nikola Milutinov (?)
C: Dewayne Dedmon/Pau Gasol"

He moves Anderson to the 2 and Murray to the 3!! Assumes we find enough money to hold Dedmon AND that Pau resigns to come off the bench. Then he completely leaves Bertans out of the rotation.

So if the Spurs do get Paul, what do you think the team and rotations look like next year?

Trainwreck2100
04-27-2017, 09:39 AM
he used his power to get the cba rewritten for a big pay raise, why would he give that up?

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-27-2017, 09:41 AM
This dude doesn't seem to understand how the cap works.

Not to mention Paul is not leaving that $200+ mil contract on the table. He even used his position in the CBA negotiations to get the clause in so he'd be allowed to get that offer.

$pursDynasty
04-27-2017, 09:43 AM
If it were to happen and CP would have to take the haircut (paycut) to do it, it would look like this
PG: CP3/MVParker/Dijon
SG: Verde/ FA/Forbes
SF: Kingslayer/The Juice
PF: LMAlpha/DLee
C: DD / Pau
Not sure how it works money wise but if Pau were to opt out then come back at a less it could happen (not sure why he would, he is more hired assassin than Spur but he might like it here well enough to do it). I would love it but I feel that it depends on how Chris prioritizes the endorsements and notoriety of being in LA against getting a chance to beat the Dubs and get a few rings.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-27-2017, 09:48 AM
If it were to happen and CP would have to take the haircut (paycut) to do it, it would look like this
PG: CP3/MVParker/Dijon
SG: Verde/ FA/Forbes
SF: Kingslayer/The Juice
PF: LMAlpha/DLee
C: DD / Pau
Not sure how it works money wise but if Pau were to opt out then come back at a less it could happen (not sure why he would, he is more hired assassin than Spur but he might like it here well enough to do it). I would love it but I feel that it depends on how Chris prioritizes the endorsements and notoriety of being in LA against getting a chance to beat the Dubs and get a few rings.

Only if the cap jumps to $120-130 mil.

cutewizard
04-27-2017, 09:52 AM
As great as some people claim him to be, Chris Paul NEVER experienced the ultimate competition, the NBA FINALS............

So...........

:bobo

MaNu4Tres
04-27-2017, 09:52 AM
Not sure why this is thread worthy considering the source and the vomit he spewed out in the article.

SPURt
04-27-2017, 10:47 AM
Adding CP3 is a choice between gutting the roster to keep LMA and Kawhi or dumping LMA. Neither of those options sounds attractive and RC is better than that. Kawhi is 25 and needs a Pippen or Manu/Parker type second and third option like Tim had. I have hope for Murray and Bertans but they need to make a huge leap next year.

If anyone can strike gold from the draft or FA trash heap its RC and Pop. CP3 is too old and LMA's age and size, even if he is a portion of the player Paul is gives LMA the edge. Plus I don't want to see Murray buried.

MultiTroll
04-27-2017, 10:51 AM
Adding CP3 is a choice between gutting the roster to keep LMA and Kawhi or dumping LMA. Neither of those options sounds attractive and RC is better than that. Kawhi is 25 and needs a Pippen or Manu/Parker type second and third option like Tim had. I have hope for Murray and Bertans but they need to make a huge leap next year.

If anyone can strike gold from the draft or FA trash heap its RC and Pop. CP3 is too old and LMA's age and size, even if he is a portion of the player Paul is gives LMA the edge. Plus I don't want to see Murray buried.
This. If that punk CP3 was willing to sign for a year or two, great.
But agree don't attach Kawhi to another aging vet.

Damn you Murray and your groin injury.

Splits
04-27-2017, 10:51 AM
Wow. What a waste of time.

Trueblood
04-27-2017, 11:02 AM
Wow. What a waste of time.

It's a sports forum where a bunch of wanna be and never will be people talk about a game with no chance of ever actually having our thoughts and opinions heard by people who actually have a say in the team. What on here isn't a waste of time?

Seventyniner
04-27-2017, 11:04 AM
If it's for the minimum, why not?

(and it would have to be to work under the cap)

Clipper Nation
04-27-2017, 11:04 AM
he used his power to get the cba rewritten for a big pay raise, why would he give that up?
He can spin his ring-chasing as "selflessness" by claiming that he had the CBA rewritten with other players in mind. Media will slurp it right up, since they won't ever criticize him.

Trueblood
04-27-2017, 11:09 AM

This was my first thought when I read the article. I think Murray has real potential but the only way I would want to see CP3 come is if they got rid of Parker (never going to happen). In theory Murray has the size to move to the 2 and play in the second unit with Parker as the primary ball handler, but again, I don't think they would let that happen. It would be too much for Parkers ego to move to the bench AND become the corner 3 guy.

Trainwreck2100
04-27-2017, 11:19 AM
He can spin his ring-chasing as "selflessness" by claiming that he had the CBA rewritten with other players in mind. Media will slurp it right up, since they won't ever criticize him.
yeah but does he strike you as the kind of guy to give up that money?

Joseph Kony
04-27-2017, 11:20 AM
Anyone who wouldn't take CP3 on the spurs is retarded imo. Murray may have a lot of potential but if you can get Paul, you do it. obviously with the cap situation it is HIGHLY unlikely that he even considers coming here and even if he did it would be very difficult for spurs to make room for him, but anyone who wouldnt want him is just dumb imo. Spurs would be soooo much better with even an average starting PG, let alone one of the top 5 in the league

buttsR4rebounding
04-27-2017, 11:24 AM
The Spurs have their PG of the future in Murray. Before the end of next season he will be the starter. Any money available will be spent on retaining some combination of Mills, Dedmon, and Lee. All will be getting significant pay boosts.

wildbill2u
04-27-2017, 11:28 AM
Guards at his age tend to lose a step and/or become more prone to injuries, but he will still be a top 10 for the next year, barring serious injuries again. Nevertheless, he would be insane to drop that kind of guaranteed salary to come to the Spurs.

Joseph Kony
04-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Guards at his age tend to lose a step and/or become more prone to injuries, but he will still be a top 10 for the next year, barring serious injuries again. Nevertheless, he would be insane to drop that kind of guaranteed salary to come to the Spurs.while this is true, he has also been in the league for awhile on big contracts, plus he got all that state farm money, so you never know. CP3 seems like someone who cares about his legacy and wants to win. he has to know that shit will never happen in LA. i don't think it's likely but if there was 1 team he would consider leaving LAC for to compete it would be SA imo as we have an obvious hole at PG unlike the other contenders

Old School 44
04-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Paul would make Dedmon into an ally-ooping star.

cd98
04-27-2017, 11:50 AM
As much as I'd love to have Paul on our team, I'm highly confident RC would say not at that price for his age. And I would agree. Murray may never be as good as a 32 year old Chris Paul, but he should be better than a 35 year old Chris Paul making that much money.

sasaint
04-27-2017, 11:59 AM
Paul would make Dedmon into an ally-ooping star.

I have posted this a couple of times. While I am not on the CP3 train, due to the havoc it would wreak upon the roster, your statement is absolutely true.

unleashbaynes
04-27-2017, 12:14 PM
Do not want

spursgu
04-27-2017, 12:23 PM
Anyone who wouldn't take CP3 on the spurs is retarded imo. Murray may have a lot of potential but if you can get Paul, you do it. obviously with the cap situation it is HIGHLY unlikely that he even considers coming here and even if he did it would be very difficult for spurs to make room for him, but anyone who wouldnt want him is just dumb imo. Spurs would be soooo much better with even an average starting PG, let alone one of the top 5 in the league

This

Mal
04-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Based on projected lineup this article is as shit as it gets

Trueblood
04-27-2017, 12:32 PM
while this is true, he has also been in the league for awhile on big contracts, plus he got all that state farm money, so you never know. CP3 seems like someone who cares about his legacy and wants to win. he has to know that shit will never happen in LA. i don't think it's likely but if there was 1 team he would consider leaving LAC for to compete it would be SA imo as we have an obvious hole at PG unlike the other contenders

He's going to pull a Pau. Sign a big deal with the clippers then opt out in the last year to come here as a 36 y/o talking about how he's always wanted to come to the Spurs. Hopefully by then Murray will be the starter living up to his potential so RC can sign him for the minimum and have him coming off the bench.

RD2191
04-27-2017, 12:35 PM
:lol

SAGirl
04-27-2017, 12:39 PM
One has to think that is some clickbait and he doesn't know his Spurs at all.

kuato
04-27-2017, 01:21 PM
Take Campazzo for far less money.

Trueblood
04-27-2017, 01:30 PM
One has to think that is some clickbait and he doesn't know his Spurs at all.

I agree. As soon as I got to the proposed "lineup" I immediately realized this guy had no idea what he was talking about. I posted it though, so people could speculate what the lineup would look like if we did sign him. Unfortunately the thread took on a life of its own as a debate between the "we don't want him" and "you'd be dumb to not take him" camps.

mo7888
04-27-2017, 01:57 PM
If the Spurs add a 30+ year old PG to the team while Parker is still on the roster then it's probably Milos Teodosic. I'm not saying that's what I want but, it's what I would expect if we go that route.

Keepin' it real
04-27-2017, 02:09 PM
CP to the Spurs

Did he sign already???!!

SAGirl
04-27-2017, 02:10 PM
I agree. As soon as I got to the proposed "lineup" I immediately realized this guy had no idea what he was talking about. I posted it though, so people could speculate what the lineup would look like if we did sign him. Unfortunately the thread took on a life of its own as a debate between the "we don't want him" and "you'd be dumb to not take him" camps.
Actually, I haven't even considered a lineup that includes CP3 bc the cap issues tend to be very confusing to me.
I had a comment for SpursDynasty who had in his bench lineup a FA and Simmons, Pau, and he still has Dedmon in the team and no Bertans and Anderson anywhere. Obviously unrealistic. I think if the move for CP3 is made, everyone else who is up for a contract for the Spurs this season (Simmons, Mills, maybe Dedmon, etc... won't be reupped, specially those 3 who are younger players in the prime years of their careers and they all need to get paid. None has gotten the big NBA contract and they all need to maximize what they can get at their ages--ranging from 28-29) In general though, cap stuff, unless Chinook makes a breakdown to make it easier on me, is really confusing.

I love speculation as much as anyone though. I think any move for a high ticket FA though will require parting with high ticket guys in the Spurs and it's just unknown for me who they need to part with to make it work.. obviously the article was trash. It doesn't even consider things like this.

I will tell you though, although not within the context of this thread, I have been quite puzzled with Pau Gasol. Maybe Pop is underplaying him/or underutilizing him... but for the minutes he is giving in the playoffs and Pop preferring to give more minutes to a vet min guy like DLee, one wonders if 15 mill for Pau were really worth it and he's someone they could part with.

Seventyniner
04-27-2017, 02:17 PM
It is nice to daydream about though. Paul/Green/Leonard/Aldridge is a top-tier defensive foursome. If Dedmon fouls less and finishes at the rim at a high rate it could be easily the second-best starting lineup in the league.

But getting Paul means losing Gasol, Parker, and Mills. With Ginobili ostensibly retiring that doesn't leave much on the bench.

DAF86
04-27-2017, 02:22 PM

Sign and trade for Lamarcus?

ginobilized
04-27-2017, 02:26 PM
CP3 is not ideal salary-wise and might have some locker room issues,BUT, a point guard with elite playmaking skills and some tough defense gives us an edge I'd love to have. Interesting to think about, and pretty unlikely.

LittleCriminal
04-27-2017, 02:35 PM
If Mills burns off id hope Cp3 picks the spurs.. If not,
I read somewhere paul george wants out of Indy...

bic50
04-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Murray at sf?

DAF86
04-27-2017, 03:36 PM
-Sign and trade Aldridge for Paul.
-Get that Hanga guy to come.
-Same with Milutinov.
-Let Patty and Simmons go.

Paul/Tony/Murray
Green/Hanga/Manu
Kawhi/rookie SF/Anderson
Bertans/Lee/Rookie SF-PF hybrid.
Dedmon/Gasol/Milutinov

Don't even know if this is doable cap wise. Maybe somebody can help me out with that.

DMC
04-27-2017, 03:38 PM
Didn't the writer get the memo when ESPN fired their shitty writers?

UZER
04-27-2017, 03:59 PM
Never guys in their prime. Always guys who've respected the spurs their whole career but looked the other way, and now...NOW...want to win a ring.

Chinook
04-27-2017, 04:20 PM
Actually, I haven't even considered a lineup that includes CP3 bc the cap issues tend to be very confusing to me.
I had a comment for SpursDynasty who had in his bench lineup a FA and Simmons, Pau, and he still has Dedmon in the team and no Bertans and Anderson anywhere. Obviously unrealistic. I think if the move for CP3 is made, everyone else who is up for a contract for the Spurs this season (Simmons, Mills, maybe Dedmon, etc... won't be reupped, specially those 3 who are younger players in the prime years of their careers and they all need to get paid. None has gotten the big NBA contract and they all need to maximize what they can get at their ages--ranging from 28-29) In general though, cap stuff, unless Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) makes a breakdown to make it easier on me, is really confusing.

I love speculation as much as anyone though. I think any move for a high ticket FA though will require parting with high ticket guys in the Spurs and it's just unknown for me who they need to part with to make it work.. obviously the article was trash. It doesn't even consider things like this.

I will tell you though, although not within the context of this thread, I have been quite puzzled with Pau Gasol. Maybe Pop is underplaying him/or underutilizing him... but for the minutes he is giving in the playoffs and Pop preferring to give more minutes to a vet min guy like DLee, one wonders if 15 mill for Pau were really worth it and he's someone they could part with.

I spent a bit of time looking for my long-ass post going over scenarios to get the Spurs sufficient cap space to sign CP3 or Lowry. Can't find it though. Maybe someone can dredge up the previous Paul thread to look for it. In the interim, the salary thread in the TT should be pretty up to date. Just knock out salaries from guys you want to trade away or let walk.

-Sign and trade Aldridge for Paul.
-Get that Hanga guy to come.
-Same with Milutinov.
-Let Patty and Simmons go.

Paul/Tony/Murray
Green/Hanga/Manu
Kawhi/rookie SF/Anderson
Bertans/Lee/Rookie SF-PF hybrid.
Dedmon/Gasol/Milutinov

Don't even know if this is doable cap wise. Maybe somebody can help me out with that.

It's doable because a Paul for LMA trade doesn't require cap space. It's not a good idea, mind you, but it's doable.

skulls138
04-27-2017, 04:49 PM
Never guys in their prime. Always guys who've respected the spurs their whole career but looked the other way, and now...NOW...want to win a ring.Ha ha, well said. Good thing we can do more for less and watch them kick themselves. Fuck em.

DMC
04-27-2017, 04:58 PM
Never guys in their prime. Always guys who've respected the spurs their whole career but looked the other way, and now...NOW...want to win a ring.

There's nothing wrong with building your wealth and then basically buying your ring. It's financially savvy to make hay while the sun is shining. Sometimes that means being on a team without much of a chance to win, but in the realm of money, there's a lot more to be made there than on a team like the Spurs even if you win.

When you retire, it's about the money. You can have rings, fine, Scotty was damn near bankrupt and he's got 6 rings. Not everyone can win. We bitch about folks stacking to win a ring, then we bitch because they won't.

cd021
04-27-2017, 05:49 PM
Sign and trade for Lamarcus?

Clippers would have LMA, Blake, and 'Dre then. Unless Blake leaves and goes to OKC

If Blake happened to want to come to S.A, then LMA would work too in an S&T

TD 21
04-27-2017, 05:51 PM
Since he'd have to leave I believe $40M on the table, Los Angeles and surrender control to a domineering coach, as well as play off the ball more with another perimeter superstar, the only case the Spurs could make, is if they're willing to salary dump Parker (a decent asset would probably have to be included) and Gasol, thereby allowing them to retain Aldridge and sell him on a big three, while also making it more palatable to maintain reasonable depth.

cd021
04-27-2017, 05:54 PM
I spent a bit of time looking for my long-ass post going over scenarios to get the Spurs sufficient cap space to sign CP3 or Lowry. Can't find it though. Maybe someone can dredge up the previous Paul thread to look for it. In the interim, the salary thread in the TT should be pretty up to date. Just knock out salaries from guys you want to trade away or let walk.

It's doable because a Paul for LMA trade doesn't require cap space. It's not a good idea, mind you, but it's doable.

So if the Spurs were to S&T LMA for CP3 then they would still be over the cap and Dedmon could be had possibly for the MLE?

TrainOfThought5
04-27-2017, 05:57 PM
Id rather have Murray and cap space.

TheRemix
04-27-2017, 06:07 PM
In on 100 pg thread

tbdog
04-27-2017, 06:16 PM
If the Spurs were to give Paul a big contact, which I would think it would be a disaster in 3 years time, the spurs would need Gasol not to pick up his option, Manu retire, renounce Mills, and trade parker for naught, and give up on Dedmon, Simmons, Lee, and possible Gasol if he does not sign for a min.

Other words, Spurs trade Mills, Parker, Manu, Dedmon, Simmons, Lee, and possibly Gasol for Paul and bunch of minimal contract.

However if Paul wanted to take a 16 mil contact, then it would look different.

TLDR, it won't happen.

SAGirl
04-27-2017, 06:49 PM
Since he'd have to leave I believe $40M on the table, Los Angeles and surrender control to a domineering coach, as well as play off the ball more with another perimeter superstar, the only case the Spurs could make, is if they're willing to salary dump Parker (a decent asset would probably have to be included) and Gasol, thereby allowing them to retain Aldridge and sell him on a big three, while also making it more palatable to maintain reasonable depth.
Thanks for this succint summary... both Tony and Pau were the ones who came to mind. I also agree with you that joining the Spurs might not look interesting to CP3, and we still have to see if Pop is really willing to part with Tony (unlikely...) and Pau (who they have wanted for years and just convinced to join). Pau both getting benched and seeing minutes cut... I don't have a good feeling about it though.

SAGirl
04-27-2017, 06:52 PM
If the Spurs were to give Paul a big contact, which I would think it would be a disaster in 3 years time, the spurs would need Gasol not to pick up his option, Manu retire, renounce Mills, and trade parker for naught, and give up on Dedmon, Simmons, Lee, and possible Gasol if he does not sign for a min.

Other words, Spurs trade Mills, Parker, Manu, Dedmon, Simmons, Lee, and possibly Gasol for Paul and bunch of minimal contract.

However if Paul wanted to take a 16 mil contact, then it would look different.

TLDR, it won't happen.
Argument can be made some guys on that list are leaving anyways (Manu I'd say is very likely to retire anyways and one of Mills/Dedmon/Lee/Simmons won't be back and maybe two... Spurs won't be able to please everyone period, and some guys may look to greener pastures anyways, in terms of roles and playing time, plus $). But I agree CP3 is unlikely, very.

skulls138
04-27-2017, 07:06 PM
George Hill, it comes full circle.

skulls138
04-27-2017, 07:17 PM
There's nothing wrong with building your wealth and then basically buying your ring. It's financially savvy to make hay while the sun is shining. Sometimes that means being on a team without much of a chance to win, but in the realm of money, there's a lot more to be made there than on a team like the Spurs even if you win.

When you retire, it's about the money. You can have rings, fine, Scotty was damn near bankrupt and he's got 6 rings. Not everyone can win. We bitch about folks stacking to win a ring, then we bitch because they won't.Anybody that cant live comfortably for the rest of their lives with ten seasons as the lowest paid NBA player should blame no one but themselves.

As for picking a team for money instead of glory...it looks alot more fun winning than losing. I mean you have to work your ass off to...lose?

tholdren
04-27-2017, 07:22 PM
http://thebiglead.com/2017/04/26/chris-paul-san-antonio-spurs/

Interesting article with some truths for CP:

"Chris Paul has been one of the NBA’s premier point guards for a decade now, first in New Orleans, then in Los Angeles, but he’s never won a damn thing. Number of trips to the Conference Finals: 0. After a loss to the Jazz last night, Paul’s one loss away from being ousted in the first round for the second year in a row."

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That’s what staying in LA would be doing."

"So Chris Paul, who turns 32 next month, needs to opt-out of his contract this summer and sign with San Antonio Spurs. Well, if he wants to win anything, he should."

But this guys takes on the Spurs projected lineup next year with Paul was worse than anything I've ever seen on ST (and that's saying something).

"PG: Chris Paul/Tony Parker
SG: Danny Green/Kyle Anderson
SF: Kawhi Leonard/Dejounte Murray
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge/Nikola Milutinov (?)
C: Dewayne Dedmon/Pau Gasol"

He moves Anderson to the 2 and Murray to the 3!! Assumes we find enough money to hold Dedmon AND that Pau resigns to come off the bench. Then he completely leaves Bertans out of the rotation.

So if the Spurs do get Paul, what do you think the team and rotations look like next year?

so the spurs would score 50 ppg with that shit?

DMC
04-27-2017, 08:06 PM
Anybody that cant live comfortably for the rest of their lives with ten seasons as the lowest paid NBA player should blame no one but themselves.

You could say the same for a corporation; why should they keep trying to increase their profits? They are rich already!

There's only one winning team each year. Everyone else loses. Some teams make a habit of losing, some make it their benchmark and plenty do it intentionally so they can pile up low pay high talent players. So if you're on a team like NY that hires someone like Phil who hires Derek Fisher as a HC, never even been an assistant, then fires him and hires Kurt Rambis... you're not going to win, but you make a lot of money and you love NY. You could probably go somewhere else like SA or team up in Cleveland and probably win a ring after going through the ringer with being called a sellout, ring chaser, whatever. You'll be the 2nd option at best in either place. Why would you go? To get a ring? What's the point of winning a ring for a city you don't care about?

As for picking a team for money instead of glory...it looks alot more fun winning than losing. I mean you have to work your ass off to...lose?
Carmelo doesn't work his ass off. Kobe was off half the year or more for several years. Both make a lot of money.

If you're poised to strike, you strike. If you're just a box office draw, you draw.

Dex
04-27-2017, 08:19 PM

Well, we got RJ in his prime...

Oh, shit.

But we got LMA in his prime...

Goddamit.

Thus is the way of a contending team who typically drafts in the high 20s/50s and has spent good money on good assets to win 5 titles in 20 years.

But hey...Bertans could be nearing his prime??

Chinook
04-27-2017, 09:01 PM
So if the Spurs were to S&T LMA for CP3 then they would still be over the cap and Dedmon could be had possibly for the MLE?

Yes, or they could go under the cap, re-sign Dedmon for whatever, and them do the trade. Either way would work.

DAF86
04-27-2017, 09:03 PM

TOSB Paul >>>>> Aldridge

UZER
04-27-2017, 09:04 PM
RJ was a trade. LMA is already past his prime. He's still a really good player.

DAF86
04-27-2017, 09:08 PM
Clippers would have LMA, Blake, and 'Dre then. Unless Blake leaves and goes to OKC

If Blake happened to want to come to S.A, then LMA would work too in an S&T

If Paul says he's leaving, Clippers don't have much of a say on the matter. They would get whatever they can. Even if it's redundant talent.

loveforthegame
04-27-2017, 09:09 PM
Wrong thread.

Chinook
04-27-2017, 10:18 PM
If Paul says he's leaving, Clippers don't have much of a say on the matter. They would get whatever they can. Even if it's redundant talent.

Nah, all three parties have equal standing in a S&T. The Clips don't have to take whatever from the Spurs just so Paul can go there. It's quite unlikely that Paul will go to a better team than LAC anyway.

DAF86
04-27-2017, 10:21 PM
Nah, all three parties have equal standing in a S&T. The Clips don't have to take whatever from the Spurs just so Paul can go there. It's quite unlikely that Paul will go to a better team than LAC anyway.

Clippers might not trade Paul to the Spurs, but then Paul becomes a free agent and the Clippers end up with nothing in return. That's why the trading team has little say on these type of situations.