PDA

View Full Version : article on Amare

Rummpd
10-13-2005, 01:26 PM
From the "free side" of Basketball News Service at www.hoopsworld.com by your truly:

Last Updated: Oct 13th, 2005 - 08:27:18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Medical Matters": Mr. Stoudemire Should do Well
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Peter Rumm, MD
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Oct 13, 2005, 08:11

When I was in medical school in the mid 80s, orthopedics was a very competitive specialty to get into for young doctors. Since then entire field has truly been evolving rapidly from when it was seen jokingly as basically “fancy carpentry”; to one that uses very sophisticated imaging studies and surgical techniques (coupled with more aggressive rehabilitation) to have wonderful results.

Microsurgery of the knee is an example of this leap forward in surgical techniques, and this or related techniques has already benefited superstar Jason Kidd (Nets) and developing star, Zach Randolph (Blazers), and other NBA players.

Yet a shockwave went through the NBA pre-season this week when Amare Stoudemire, C/F of the Suns had to undergo this procedure on his L knee that involved removing cartilage and trying to get it to re-grow so that some recent chronic knee pain diminishes. Mr. Stoudemire is a true one of a kind young” big man” talent; who has all the talent and seemingly the work ethic to become as good as anyone in the game. He is a former rookie of the year and showed incredible growth in his offensive game against the Spurs in last years conference finals and had a key block against Tim Duncan to help seal one game in the series.

Basically, microfracture surgery like he had recently is a sophisticated scraping and drilling procedure to remove torn or damaged cartilage and get it to re-grow in a smooth way.

The technique is described in more detail below from an athletic site affiliated with NFL injuries (where this surgery is also commonly used):

“It is commonly used to treat patients with full thickness damage to the articular cartilage that goes all the way down to the bone. The procedure is done arthroscopically. It involves the removing of any damaged or loose cartilage. Multiple holes (or microfractures) are made in the bone, where marrow cells and blood will form a clot, which then matures into firm repair tissue that becomes smooth and durable. By drilling holes to allow blood to drain and create scar tissue, a new barrier between the bones is created to prevent the bone from rubbing on bone, which often leads to inflammation and pain.”

(http://kffl.com/static/nfl/injury_reports/injury_dictionary/microfracture_surgery.php)

The procedure was done by Team Physician Dr. Tom Carter who is projecting according to AP and other reports about a four month recovery time. Dr. Carter was also quoted in media releases as saying that the rest of the knee was stable and that there is a strong chance Stoudemire will make a full recovery.

I am not an expert on this particular surgery, but initially the most troublesome thing I heard reported the size of the defect that needed to be repaired was about 1 CM in diameter.

However, at a Sun’s press conference yesterday, Dr. Carter defined it as smaller than usual with our own Basketball News Reporter, Greg White in attendance. Dr. Carter again said that the rest of the knee was normal and that little or none actual torn cartilage was apparently needed to be removed. This is also consistent with the most recent AP reports that say that it was a “best case scenario” despite the fact this is still surgery of the knee.

That is seemingly very good news!

What will be just as important as the surgery itself will be the ability of Mr. Stoudemire to undertake some very arduous rehabilitative therapy. This will focus on strengthening the knee but also surrounding muscles that will lose strength even at his age and stellar physical condition from weeks of immobilization.

Based on the work ethic I have heard about and seemingly demonstrated from this young man, coupled with his impressive physical physique and age; there is no reason that he should not embrace that willingly and professionally and come back real strong either late this season, or worst case, next year.

As such, I am at this point in full agreement with my medical colleague, the distinguished Dr. Carter, and remain very optimistic that we will still see Mr. Stoudemire remain on a rare pathway to becoming a true superstar in the NBA.

The only caveat to add is that with any surgery and rehabilitation an unexpected setback could occur, but I see that chance as remote based on the facts that are being presented so far.

(About the editor, Dr. Rumm is board certified in preventive medicine and is a former physical therapy assistant and athletic trainer; and has served as a sports medicine physician to high school and college teams.)

"SportsDoc to the Fans" and editor
Gotta Response? E-mail It Here at [email protected]

Marcus Bryant
10-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Doc, can he do pushups during his recovery?

Rummpd
10-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Probably and even one handed* with his David Robinson (but heavier) "Adonis like" build but will that make him a better player? Probably not - the only blessing for Suns fans is that he did not keep playing on this = could have been a long time disaster.

Maybe he will sit back and come back even better and more rounded but one never knows?

When I trained with the Army Rangers I could do 10 each arm years ago and once in awhile get myself back in shape enough to do 5 or so of them again.

Marcus Bryant
10-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Good. I was worried.

ducks
10-13-2005, 03:23 PM
good article

BillsCarnage
10-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Excellent article. Though the size of the lesion might still be in question. I'd heard that it was 8mm x 2mm. Maybe a CM deep??

I'd also like to find the local, because if it's not weight bearing, then that should help recovery and in the long term.

SWC Bonfire
10-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Maybe a CM deep??

You probably don't even have that much cartilidge in you knee. They probably just generically said 1 cm in diameter as a rough estimate.