PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Be Our Starting Center Against Houston?

BillMc
04-28-2017, 01:18 AM
Who is the best big to start next to LMA against the Rockets?

PopTheGOAT
04-28-2017, 01:20 AM
I'd say Dedmon until he inevitably gets 2 fouls in the 1st quarter. Need a defensive emphasis. I don't see us having issues scoring

turkish spurs fan
04-28-2017, 01:21 AM
lee

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-28-2017, 01:23 AM
If they insist on switching every time, like they've done against Houston in each game in the regular season, then it has to be Dedmon or small ball. Lee and Gasol would be terrible.

Nathan89
04-28-2017, 01:24 AM
Gasol about to look like Kanter:depressed

DAF86
04-28-2017, 01:24 AM
Aldridge and go small (I include Bertans at the 4 as small ball, tbh). I haven't check the numbers but a very common occurrence against Houston in the regular season seemed to be that we would always fall behind at the start of the game and 2nd half because we would play our regular 2 bigs lineup, but then we would run them off the floor whenever we went small. I say: Why give up minutes instead of playing small all game?

8FOR!3
04-28-2017, 01:25 AM
I think Dedmon brings more energy and plays better off the bench. I'm unsure about Lee especially when we were playing Memphis but right now it probably makes the most sense. Lee can probably hang better against the Rockets than he did Memphis.

NASpurs
04-28-2017, 01:31 AM
Bertans would had been interesting to start if he wasn't so green. Maybe next year. My vote went to Dedmon.

Robz4000
04-28-2017, 01:36 AM
I'd go small tbh, but since Poo won't I'd go with Dedmon.

SAGirl
04-28-2017, 01:45 AM
Aldridge and go small (I include Bertans at the 4 as small ball, tbh). I haven't check the numbers but a very common occurrence against Houston in the regular season seemed to be that we would always fall behind at the start of the game and 2nd half because we would play our regular 2 bigs lineup, but then we would run them off the floor whenever we went small. I say: Why give up minutes instead of playing small all game?
BC Pop paid 15 mill for GAsol and he needs to play sometime... I guess. and he didn't trust Bertans or Anderson... and Dedmon can get in the doghous quickly and lee is his new lost love.

Chris
04-28-2017, 01:45 AM
Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooy

Fireball
04-28-2017, 01:47 AM
Gasol about to look like Kanter:depressed

Gasol sucked on offense ... thats nothing like Kanter

spursistan
04-28-2017, 02:11 AM

spurraider21
04-28-2017, 02:30 AM
Definitely not Lee... we need someone with decent size/athleticism or else Capela will be a thorn in our side. I like the concept of Aldridge and going small... I love Bertans as much as the next guy, but I don't see Pop going that route.

From the realistic options, go with Dedmon.

spursistan
04-28-2017, 02:43 AM
related..

spursistan
04-28-2017, 02:56 AM
Spurs gotta roll with Dedmon and see how it goes first..They really need to ratchet up the D for this series-- not gonna win it with Lee/PAU/Mills playing major and crunch time minutes..Green and DD have to find a way to contribute more...

BillMc
04-28-2017, 08:54 AM
Personally, I think we stick with Lee. Sends the wrong message if you bench players after a win.

theman21
04-28-2017, 09:01 AM
Lee has played smarter, but playoffs are all about matchups....also even though Pau might be best combo...you don't play your best hand up front. I would start with Dedmon, let him get in foul trouble (because he will) Then go to Lee....and sneak up on them with Pau when it means the most.

Fireball
04-28-2017, 09:10 AM
I think Pop gets back to the usual starting lineup of the regular season and starts changing things again as the series progresses

bklynspursfan
04-28-2017, 10:23 AM
Itll probably be Dedmon again.

TheRemix
04-28-2017, 10:34 AM
Pop needs to atleast see what dedmon can do first before rolling with lee in this series. Dedmon has the tools to outrebound houston's bigs

Splits
04-28-2017, 11:21 AM
this board's infatuation with Dedmon is hilarious

TheDoctor
04-28-2017, 08:48 PM
If HOU is starting Capela, is gonna be Dedmon. Capela's too jumpy and quick for DLee. Lee's more savvy and could deal better with Nene's savviness on the other side than Dedmon on that aspect.

GSH
04-28-2017, 09:09 PM
If I had to pick someone other than Dedmon, it would be Lee. Capela can't shoot FT's for shit, and I think Lee is strong enough to make sure he has to try and earn his points from the line. On the offensive end, Lee would be able to put up points and steal some offensive boards. He's smart, and he's not going to panic when Houston goes on one of their runs.

I actually like Bertans' aggression on defense, and he continues to be a pretty good rim defender - so that wasn't a fluke. But he's far from automatic on the defensive rotations. That's nothing new for first-year players on the Spurs. But with the way Houston's offense rolls, I don't think there's any way he gets early minutes.

All that being said, I'd be surprised if it was anyone but Dedmon. He only averaged 8.6 minutes against Memphis, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that continue either. I just hope he plays smart - and if he's going to foul do it right and don't give up And-1's. And he just about can't score from outside the restricted circle, so he's going to have to do his work early on Capela so that he can get fed for some easy buckets. The real problem I see is that if he starts the first two games and can't get it done, Pop would have to make a change in Houston. So I wouldn't expect anyone but Dedmon to start in the middle until at least Game 5. Hopefully Pop won't need to do that.

Leetonidas
04-28-2017, 09:13 PM
Dedmon. Or LMA and put Davis at the 4.

Play Boban
04-28-2017, 09:21 PM
this board's infatuation with Dedmon is hilarious

Deadman is trash tbh.

Play Boban
04-28-2017, 09:22 PM
If HOU is starting Capela, is gonna be Dedmon. Capela's too jumpy and quick for DLee. Lee's more savvy and could deal better with Nene's savviness on the other side than Dedmon on that aspect.

Why can't LA defend Capella tbh? You think he can defend Ryan Anderson tbh?

itzsoweezee
04-28-2017, 09:49 PM
Neither Pau nor Lee can be on the court if Harden is in the game. I hope Popovich realizes that.

hater
04-28-2017, 10:02 PM
David Rigoberto Lee

hater
04-28-2017, 10:02 PM
Neither Pau nor Lee can be on the court if Harden is in the game. I hope Popovich realizes that.

:lmao why?

itzsoweezee
04-28-2017, 10:20 PM
:lmao why?

Have you seen either of them guard a pick and roll? Now imagine them trying to play Harden on a pick and roll.

hater
04-28-2017, 10:35 PM
Have you seen either of them guard a pick and roll? Now imagine them trying to play Harden on a pick and roll.

None of our bigs can guard hardon pik n roll
Might as well use mobile dudes that can bang n rebound

mookie2001
04-28-2017, 10:53 PM
Lee should start

GSH
04-28-2017, 10:53 PM

I'm not sure anybody can guard Harden straight-up. The key to beating Houston is keeping Harden from getting all the way to the restricted circle. Cut him off and get him to shoot jumpers, and his FG% will average out low enough that the Spurs can live with him taking as many shots as he wants.

That, plus keep Harden and Capela off the offensive glass. Both of those things scream for faster, more mobile guys on the floor IMO. Lee isn't afraid of contact, and he steals a LOT of rebounds. He doesn't have to keep Harden from shooting - just cut him off outside the circle and get him to shoot jumpers. I like him and Bertans both for that, more than Dedmon and Pau.

Chinook
04-28-2017, 11:23 PM
Start Dedmon, because it has the highest upside. Keep a quick hook ready for small-ball. If that's not sustainable, then look at Lee. Kyle makes the most sense defensively given that he can guard Ryan anywhere on the court and can force Harden inside. But Bertans fits better with the first unit and can bring better rim-protection.

itzsoweezee
04-29-2017, 12:17 AM

Nothing about Pau is mobile, lol. And David Lee will just get embarrassed over and over again. This isn't the shitty grizzlies offense the Spurs are going to be playing against.

Play Boban
04-29-2017, 12:19 AM
Low IQ post tbh.

Chef Curry
04-29-2017, 12:22 AM
Your center is probably gonna get outplayed by the shaqtin' a fool MVP. Think about that for a second.

https://media.giphy.com/media/Vg0JstydL8HCg/giphy.gif

GSH
04-29-2017, 12:44 AM
Your center is probably gonna get outplayed by the shaqtin' a fool MVP. Think about that for a second.

LOL... your team scored 13 points in the 4th quarter of Game 7, to piss off a Championship after being up 3-1. Thirteen... fucking... points. With the two time MVP, and the best backcourt in NBA history? The team that won 73 games? And you want to come around talking about what might happen in the Spurs' next series?

Funny how all you people disappeared right after that. #dickless :lol

https://aotw-pd.s3.amazonaws.com/images/MarsChilledDickless.jpg

EIC
04-29-2017, 05:49 AM
LOL... your team scored 13 points in the 4th quarter of Game 7, to piss off a Championship after being up 3-1. Thirteen... fucking... points. With the two time MVP, and the best backcourt in NBA history? The team that won 73 games? And you want to come around talking about what might happen in the Spurs' next series?

Funny how all you people disappeared right after that. #dickless :lol

In their defense, the 2016 Finals was the first (and last) time the Warriors played a healthy team in the playoffs, probably ever. The poor chaps weren't used to having to go the distance against a team with an actual pulse.

SAGirl
04-29-2017, 06:45 AM
I voted Dedmon, but he has played so poor to end the season and in the playoffs it has seemed like you could barely afford to have him out there 10 minutes 5 in each half and he would get exposed. I think off the bench as the 4th big, like he initially was playing he was great.. his best stats of the season. He was promoted to start bc Pau was so inadequate defending and while you can see some good games, specially defensively (Clippers game stands out)... he gets exposed badly.

This is a series that maybe you give him some minutes and see how he does b4 benching him if necessary. It's a different team and possibly schemes so I tend to think Pop gives him a chance. The other bigs are very lacking on defense and I think Pop will want to see what he can do. If not, he will go back to Lee. I think it's the kind of series that Anderson should get minutes, and Bertans, but one can never tell with Pop.

Maybe the roof needs to be put on fire before he considers things like that.

Play Boban
04-29-2017, 07:16 AM
I'm sick of this defeatist attitude by our fans and Poop. Start our best player. Don't be reactionary based on their lineup. START OUR BEST PLAYERS AND LET OUR OPPONENTS REACT. LEAD, DON'T FOLLOW.

TD 21
04-29-2017, 05:26 PM
There's no good answer to this. Lee will probably get the call because of the three, he's the closest they can come to combining offense and defensive mobility. I'll be interesting to see whether he guards Anderson or Capela, though. I'd lean the former because I don't want him serving as the last line of defense.

Bertans needs to play significant minutes in this series, for 3 reasons. 1) No second big suited for significant minutes, 2) Don't have the wing depth to go small, especially with Ginobili slumping/showing signs of further decline, 3) Gasol could be relegated to Kanter treatment (the 10 or so minutes Harden doesn't play) and they'll desperately need to replace his offense to keep up.