PDA

View Full Version : Spurs have not played Rockets in the playoffs since 1995

JohnnyMax
04-28-2017, 01:56 AM
Fun fact that you'll be seeing in the coming days.

ElNono
04-28-2017, 01:56 AM
Spurs also never won a series against them...

BanditHiro
04-28-2017, 03:50 AM
yep the year Tim retires is the year the Spurs play the only team he never faced in the western playoffs.

Mal
04-28-2017, 04:53 AM
Sad that there is noone on ESPN who could right a story about it

cutewizard
04-28-2017, 06:08 AM
Well beat them , dont worry too much, hehehehe

daledondale
04-28-2017, 06:30 AM
Spurs also never won a series against them...Yes, but there isn't a Hakeem to save his asses. Harden will cry with Kawhi over him.

D_Admiral
04-28-2017, 11:52 AM
I10 rivalry baby

$pursDynasty
04-28-2017, 11:54 AM
but we seem to play the Grizzlies every year, how is that possible, you would think random selection would make that happen more often.

xellos88330
04-28-2017, 12:00 PM
VENGEANCE!

Phenomanul
04-28-2017, 12:01 PM
but we seem to play the Grizzlies every year, how is that possible, you would think random selection would make that happen more often.

Maybe the Grizzlies will quit tanking to face the Spurs on purpose... they never seem to learn... even 2011 wouldn't have happened if Grant Hill doesn't break Ginobili's arm on the regular season finale that year. Otherwise the Spurs would have a 5-0 Series record against them...

spurs1990
04-28-2017, 12:05 PM
I'd be curious to know what percentage of ST posters remember that 1995 series.

I suppose you'd have to be over the age of 30 for one, and a lot of our international fans may not have known about the league in that era.

I was 16 so I remember most of it - mainly Dennis Rodman being a factor in the series loss.
IIRC he basically pouted his way to shitty play in games 5 and 6... basically an act of protest to Bob Hill.

Also remember the road teams winning the first 4 games. #1 seed goes down 0-2 but nut up and tie it up in Houston.
Secondarily I remember a ton of red in the Alamodome. That may still be the case nowadays when Houston comes to town but I think with them being so good the bandwagon was bigger.

But yes this matchup is long overdue and I'm excited to see how it plays out, between the teams and fans online from here and Clutchfans.

Spurs in 7.

urunobili
04-28-2017, 12:12 PM
Spurs also never won a series against them...#revenge

UZER
04-28-2017, 12:12 PM

I suppose you'd have to be over the age of 30 for one, and a lot of our international fans may not have known about the league in that era.

I was 16 so I remember most of it - mainly Dennis Rodman being a factor in the series loss.
IIRC he basically pouted his way to shitty play in games 5 and 6... basically an act of protest to Bob Hill.

Also remember the road teams winning the first 4 games. #1 seed goes down 0-2 but nut up and tie it up in Houston.
Secondarily I remember a ton of red in the Alamodome. That may still be the case nowadays when Houston comes to town but I think with them being so good the bandwagon was bigger.

But yes this matchup is long overdue and I'm excited to see how it plays out, between the teams and fans online from here and Clutchfans.

Spurs in 7.

I remember fans from Houston calling into it local radio shows and talking all kinds of trash directly to spurs fans before, during, and after the series. This was obviously pre social media.

south side spur
04-28-2017, 12:21 PM
I was a senior in high school and that was definitely a low point. The city was riding high only to come crashing down in another disappointment.

Robinson got a raw deal that series. Yeah, he got Dream Shook but those were just snap shots. Robinson played Olajuwon well. Elliott choked game 1.

Darius Bieber
04-28-2017, 12:30 PM
Gonna be a lot of Houston trash in the AT&T Center crowd now tbh

Seventyniner
04-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Gonna be a lot of Houston trash in the AT&T Center crowd now tbh

The Dome was much bigger and the Rockets bandwagon isn't nearly as big now, they were the defending champs last time. I would expect a higher percentage of Spurs fans at home than in 1995.

south side spur
04-28-2017, 12:45 PM
Spurs fans represent in Houston as well

Thomas82
04-28-2017, 01:32 PM

Spurs in 7.

I was 15 at the time myself. I remember that series very well. Things were not all they appeared to be.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-28-2017, 02:17 PM
Spurs in 7.

:lol giving the cockets way too much credit... Spurs in 5, tbh.

lefty
04-28-2017, 04:17 PM
:lol Harden will dream shake the shit out of Kawhi
:lol Hardeen Olajuwon

DarrinS
04-28-2017, 06:19 PM
I remember that 95 series like it was yesterday.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-28-2017, 06:21 PM
Clinton administration-era smack is literally the last vestige of smack talk rocketfan has clung to for over 20 fucking years.

Will be nice to shut them up.

daslicer
04-28-2017, 06:51 PM

Spurs in 7.

I was in the sixth grade at that time but I remember the match up very well. That series was maddening and frustrating. I felt the Spurs were going to win the series once they had won game 3 and 4 in Houston. I broke my gameboy out of anger when the Spurs got blown out in game 5. I do remember Rodman getting benched for game 5 due to arriving late to the arena.

Go to the 2:40 mark and you will an interview with GM Pop talking about Rodman.

3dAVpkBMfs4&feature=youtu.be&t=159

LoneStarState'sPride
04-28-2017, 06:58 PM

I suppose you'd have to be over the age of 30 for one

I'll be 29 this summer....I remember the '95 Rockets series as being one of the first that I paid attention to and grasped an idea of the magnitude of playoff intensity. I remember loving David Robinson and cringing when Hakeem handled him easily time and again. I learned to hate Robert Horry and Mario Elie (ironic in hindsight :lol ).

Basically, I feel like I cut my Spurs fandom teeth on that bitter series. Ready for SA to finally right that wrong!

lefty
04-28-2017, 07:02 PM
I remember that 95 series like it was yesterday.

Toward the end of the RS, I was confident we were gonna ring, but I saw the Rockets gaining momentum vs Utah in the 1st round.

At that moment I knew we were fucked

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-28-2017, 07:04 PM
Grizzlies were a much more aggressive defensive team than the Rockets will ever be. Spurs should dispatch of them in 6 games, 5 if lucky.

Mikeanaro
04-28-2017, 07:06 PM
Akeem is 54 years old.

Caltex2
04-29-2017, 12:14 AM

During the Steve Francis era, the Rockets just missed being the 8-seed a couple of times, including one year where they finished 45-37. Had it happened, they would have played the Spurs both times. There were more near misses, including when the Spurs lost to the Clippers a couple of years ago.

Play Boban
04-29-2017, 12:20 AM
Useless stat is useless tbh.

Caltex2
04-29-2017, 12:21 AM
What'side your poin? I was just proving that it almost happened a couple of times.

8FOR!3
04-29-2017, 12:51 AM
Maybe the Grizzlies will quit tanking to face the Spurs on purpose... they never seem to learn... even 2011 wouldn't have happened if Grant Hill doesn't break Ginobili's arm on the regular season finale that year. Otherwise the Spurs would have a 5-0 Series record against them...

The Grizzlies like playing the Spurs because it's good for the city. It gives Memphis and the team good press and it's a big rivalry that will bring in fans and sell tickets. A lot of Grizzlies fans in Memphis explained to me that they didn't want to play the Spurs because they thought it was the easiest series.

midnightpulp
04-29-2017, 12:53 AM
Toward the end of the RS, I was confident we were gonna ring, but I saw the Rockets gaining momentum vs Utah in the 1st round.

At that moment I knew we were fucked

How did you become a Spurs all the way up there in Montreal, Left?

JohnnyMax
04-29-2017, 01:36 AM
Same thread at Clutchfans

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/the-rockets-have-not-played-the-spurs-in-the-playoffs-since-1995.282332/

apalisoc_9
04-29-2017, 01:41 AM
Useless stat is useless tbh.

Montreal is a POS. Full of self centred obnoxious people. Worst city ive visited.

DMC
04-29-2017, 02:06 AM
Sad that there is noone on ESPN who could right a story about it

Well, not any more at least.

Jdspur20
04-29-2017, 03:16 AM
Fun fact that you'll be seeing in the coming days.

and since then the rockets have been sitting at home watching the Spurs win championships.
A fun fact you will see in the coming days.

Jdspur20
04-29-2017, 03:17 AM

Spurs in 7.

Yep, I'm 33 and remember it quite well.

lefty
04-29-2017, 08:10 AM

David Robinson, fellow left hander

Phenomanul
04-29-2017, 08:06 PM

Spurs in 7.

He had three wild 3-pt attempts in the first half of a close Game 2 loss... it was clearly an act of defiance... and ended up only playing 17 minutes for the game even though his regular season average was over 30 mpg...

heyheymymy
04-30-2017, 01:37 AM
Seriously guys, yall are missing the mark this postseason. You thought the grizz would be easy, and you think the rockets will be tough. It's like 2014, hou is por.

Spurs in 5.

Hoping the whole playoffs is like 2014...