PDA

View Full Version : Quick Series Grades Spurs vs. Grizzlies..

apalisoc_9
04-28-2017, 04:09 PM
If for some reason you missed the first round or only watched bits here's a quick grade.

Kawhi Leonard - A+.. Kawhi was so good that it started best player in the world conversations. Pop called him the best in the world. He got to the FT line a lot and missed only one FT. His defense was fantastic but it was really his help defense that stood out. Averaged 30ppg and carried the spurs in fourth quarter.

Kawhi displayed a level of decision making that only Duncan-Lebron-Paul have showed in the last 15 years. He passed and swang the ball when he needed to and made shots when the team badly wanted to make shots. In game 3, it looked like he lost his rhytem because of the Hockey sub that or he was protesting.

Tony Parker - A+ Closed the series out with an efficient 27 points. Parker did so many things right in this series. He took the threes the Grizz gave him and he punished the grizz when they would swarm Leonard and deny Aldridge. He got scored on by conley, but it wasn't for the lack of effort. He did an ok job there so much so that he wasn't a liability. He had a terrible game 3 but so did everyone.

Lamarcus Aldridge - C+...A down series for Aldridge offensively. He missed bunnies and he just could not outbody the memphis bigs in many occasions. The defense was good and I thought he did a decent job of forcing Conley take awkward shots.

Danny Green - C-....Never closed most of the game. That's dissapointing. The problem is, he just could not get into any offensive rhytem. He was bad as far shooting the three ball was concerned except for one game out of the 6. Pop was forced to play with Parker and Mills. Green had a signiture defensive game in game 2 though

Pau Gasol - D...Pau Gasol was maddening. When lee was inserted into the starting lineup he started playing some uninspried ball. He made some terrible decisions defensively such as fronting the bigs with Conley dribbling. Impacted the boards and the offense for 2 out of the 6 games but really was dissapoonting...so much so that Lee is playing more minutes than him

Manu Ginobili - D-....I was going to give him an F for scoring 14pts in six total games and with good opportunities but manu was instrumental in a must win game 5. However, it's pretty clear now that he can't penetrate to the basketat all. Sad Series for Manu

Patty Mills - B-.....up until game 5 and 6, i had mills around D. He was doing a worse Job defensively than Parker. He was making some of the worst playmaking decisions. In once instance, Kawhi had conley in him with 8 seconds left in the shot clock. You have to know in that situation where a post up is an automatic double..that you either run a pick and roll for yourself or Give to kawhi in the perimter. I've been really dissapointed with his ball managment. But His Quick trigger was huge in games 5 and 6.

David Lee - C+...Lee was getting murdered out there defensively. But his offensive boards from games 2 to 6 was huge. His roll game opened up so many opportunities for Kawhi and made his life much easier. But its maddening. When i watch him play on D..it all feels like fake Hustle. He was starting, but he nver felt like a startinf caliber player in this series.

Davis Bertans - B- So many times I wanted him to play over Lee. He didn't make rookie mistakes. He battled against guys 100lbs heavier. Moved great without the ball and made quick decisions with the ball.

Dedmam - D-...Highlight of the series is a 2 minute stint in game 6. Showed a lot of energy. He was so bad to start the series though that he became a DNP player.

Simmons C+

Anderson DNP

Pop - C+ threw away game 3.

DMC
04-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Did you really say "Duncan-Lebron-Paul"? Paul? Dude choked away every post season he's ever been in. Great decision making.

Also, you cannot get A+ when you were skunked in one game, same score as Kawhi.

dabom
04-28-2017, 04:18 PM
Fathead played enough for me to give him an F++. :lol

Joseph Kony
04-28-2017, 04:24 PM
Agree with OPs grades tbh. Watching Lee on defense really is annoying, his rotations are god awful and his fouls are terrible. he always looks like he's surprised he forgot to rotate and tries to make up for it and ends up fouling, feels like every time. but his roll game was huge for Kawhi on offense. as solid as he was overall i really hope he isn't getting significant time against Hou, a much better offensive team

spursistan
04-28-2017, 04:24 PM
Thanks OP..:tu

Really wishing for Pau to opt out..It's pretty obvious that at this stage of his career he is just a regular season gimmick against bad competition.

When gameplanned for, he becomes totally unplayable..That aside, I didn't like his effort this series especially when his shots stopped falling..It's only gonna get tougher for him to stay on court from here on out in these playoffs..

Joseph Kony
04-28-2017, 04:27 PM
Thanks OP..:tu

Really wishing for Pau to opt out..It's pretty obvious that at his stage of his career he is just a regular season gimmick against bad competition.

When gameplanned for, he becomes totally unplayable..That aside, I didn't like his effort this series especially when his shots stopped falling..It's only gonna get tougher for him to stay on court from here on out in these playoffs..imo his issues, like Aldridge, stemmed from being guarded by grizz frontline, I think coming off the bench against Hou he will get those 3pt looks he was getting in the RS and when he's knocking them down it opens up the offense so much. i think he will have a bounce back series vs. Houston if he matches up a lot against Nene off the bench

marinoman
04-28-2017, 04:35 PM
You're c grades should be d's and your d grades f's. And patty wasn't a b

Keepin' it real
04-28-2017, 04:47 PM
They won, so they all get A's, gold stars and smiley faces!

Cry Havoc
04-28-2017, 05:40 PM
Grades are pretty spot on in my opinion. Maybe a little generous to Tony (wtf?) but other than that really good.

Lost in all this is how phenomenally well the Griz were playing. If our guys really sucked, we lose this series. As it was, many of them underperformed but they weren't awful. They stepped up when we had to and won the series after getting down 10 on the road in a closeout. Memphis played the best ball I've ever seen from a 7 seed, I think the way they played in this series I would have them besting any team in the East in 7...maybe even the Cavs.

Brazil
04-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Great read man :tu

Dex
04-28-2017, 06:09 PM
Grades are pretty spot on in my opinion. Maybe a little generous to Tony (wtf?) but other than that really good.

Lost in all this is how phenomenally well the Griz were playing. If our guys really sucked, we lose this series. As it was, many of them underperformed but they weren't awful. They stepped up when we had to and won the series after getting down 10 on the road in a closeout. Memphis played the best ball I've ever seen from a 7 seed, I think the way they played in this series I would have them besting any team in the East in 7...maybe even the Cavs.

I originally called Spurs in 5 with the Spurs losing Game 3 in Memphis. Stupid Marc Gasol's game winner ruined that prediction.

Otherwise, series went about as I expected it would. I did not think it was going to be an easy series by any means. Gasol and Randolph are one of the most powerful 4-5 combos in the league, and physical post play is not the Spurs defensive strong suit.

Not surprised Fiz threw ZBo into the starting lineup, as Memphis was sure to need his offense. Unfortunately for us, they showed the rest of the league how to get into LMA's head by getting physical, but fortunately for us, they were probably the most physical tandem in the playoff bunch and they are now gone fishing.

Tony Allen being out was a huge bonus, tbh. He would have made life more difficult for Leonard, even as other-worldly as he was playing.

Vince Carter continued to hold the hands of time at a stand-still. He always raises his level of play against the Spurs for whatever reason, and he did it again...although he was mostly unremarkable in Game 6.

JaMychal Green was an absolute surprise. Played a hell of a series, and I'm surprised he didn't play more minutes. He was hitting some big shots for the Griz. Shame the Spurs gave up on the guy a few years ago, but let's be honest...he's come a long ways with his game since he was wearing the silver and black.

Gained a lot of respect for Mike Conley this game. I used to consider him as a middle-tier point guard, but he took his game to another level this series. Almost single-handedly willed the Grizz to a Game 7 and was hitting big shot after big shot. In a league filled with talented point guards, it's safe to say Conley can hold his own with any of them.

quentin_compson
04-28-2017, 06:19 PM

Yep, the Grizzlies were playing as well as they possibly could have overall - and just a little better than that offensively. A quick look at the stats shows them at an ORtg of 107.6 to a Pace of 92.3 in the RS. In the series against the Spurs, they upped their ORtg to 111.4 - and at a much slower Pace of 85.0. They shot better in this first round series than in the RS, especially from deep. They also got to the line more (take that for data!) and shot better from the stripe as well. All in all, Memphis were quite phenomenal offensively and about as good as expected defensively.

LaMarcus Bryant
04-28-2017, 06:26 PM
Everyone not Leonard and Parker needs to play magnitudes better or we fucked

SAGirl
04-28-2017, 07:28 PM
Nice grades. I think some were generous (someone remarked some C should be D and some D's were F for example), but Spurs won and one tends to be more generous with a positive result. Had this been a series loss those grades would have come down a nudge. Thanks for the recap. :toast

barbacoataco
04-28-2017, 07:41 PM
Did you really say "Duncan-Lebron-Paul"? Paul? Dude choked away every post season he's ever been in. Great decision making.

Also, you cannot get A+ when you were skunked in one game, same score as Kawhi.

Yeah the grades were good but I almost vomitted a little seeing Chris Paul in the same company as Duncan and Lebron. He has to be the most overrated player in NBA history except maybe Steve Nash.

GSH
04-28-2017, 08:21 PM
Actually a pretty good set of grades. Maybe a little tough on Aldridge and Gasol - but I know what you're saying. This was always going to be the hardest matchup for our big men.

David Lee. He's a tough sonofabitch. From the day they signed him, I said that he was going to have size problems against monster bigs. I can't argue with his overall grade. But when you consider how much he's giving up to guys like Randolph and Marc Gasol? He does a hell of a job. Against less physical bigs, he is capable of changing the momentum of games for the Spurs. I don't like seeing him shoot from outside about 6 feet, but around the rim he finishes as well or better than just about anyone out there. I think he's going to play a significant role for the rest of the Spurs' playoffs.

Pretty good flyover of Round 1. :tu

dabom
04-28-2017, 08:23 PM
Pau is lucky to get a D. :lol