PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Johnson and Mario Hezonja

apalisoc_9
04-30-2017, 10:38 PM
- The Spurs were linked to Johnsons a year ago.

- Hezonja was a lottery pick who was described as a good shooter by virtually all scouts. Eye test also shows you that he has a quick trigger. However he's % is discouraging but I find it hard to believe that a guy with a trigger like that can't shoot above 36 in a gpd environment.

- Both Hezonja and Johnson are physically Gifted. They have strong bodies.

- Hezonja has had some inpressive defensive games but some bad ones. Could it be the environment he is playing.

- Johnson was utilized as a 3 and D guy but he's shooting has been pretty average..below average and his release speed is below average but he's a very competent defender.

- This isn't a random thread. The Spurs need to reshuffle the deck in the wing positions. Possibly let go of Simmons and trade Kyle. Johnson was linked to San Antonio by Zach Lowe.

- Both Johnson and Hezonja have lost their places in their respective teams. The way they were treated last year seems like they would be happy to get a 2nd rounder for them.

-

ducks
04-30-2017, 10:42 PM
This should have been posted in off-season thread

apalisoc_9
04-30-2017, 10:44 PM
Also, these guys aren't going to ask for 10+ mill contracts provided you play them 10-15mpg while developing them. Still pretty young.

spurraider21
04-30-2017, 10:53 PM
still gotta see what happens with hanga first

Mr. Body
04-30-2017, 11:00 PM
There's a forum for this shit.

apalisoc_9
04-30-2017, 11:05 PM
still gotta see what happens with hanga first

Hanga is 28. There's room for one of these guys if they decide not to resign simmons. They're cheap and young. I really want one of them.

I was calling for Fournier before he had that one really good season and eventually a 15+ deal. It's so important to have cheap players with potential.

8FOR!3
04-30-2017, 11:15 PM
Definitely a fan of Hezonja and his upside.

palangi
04-30-2017, 11:24 PM
I did a trade possibility for Hezonja. His potential would show through here. I would even trade Green to get him.

jimbo
05-01-2017, 12:41 AM
stanley johnson is definitely a spurs-type player and he's got good upside. i'd be all aboard that one

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-01-2017, 01:06 AM
Both are talented and on rookie contracts, the Spurs have no assets to trade for them.

cutewizard
05-01-2017, 02:48 AM
This guy has some hops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekJGOeL4uHI

Seventyniner
05-01-2017, 07:27 AM
This should have been posted in off-season thread

It's fine where it is. The Spurs lost to the Grizzlies, remember?

NameLess Scrub
05-01-2017, 08:05 AM
Definitely a fan of Hezonja and his upside.

Agreed.. dude can also dunk on a fool.

Stanley Johnson I'm not sure.. wasn't he a comedy guy?
Still haven't figured that out..

outmap
05-01-2017, 08:05 AM
Mario is a better shooter but Johnson is a better defender, both young guns are worth a look if available. I prefer Stanley though as it is harder to teach defense than to fix a shot. Although Mario isn't a bad defender and is also worth a look if Simmons signs elsewhere and Manu retires.

coachmac87
05-01-2017, 08:42 AM
"This isn't a random thread"

OP took an L on this one

MaNu4Tres
05-01-2017, 08:55 AM
I'd rather keep our 1st. And our 1st round pick is what it would take.

mo7888
05-01-2017, 09:36 AM
I like both but, I prefer Mario because of his shooting ability. I just think the upside is better. I think you could get either guy though with a trade of KA plus a stashed guy. Detroit and Orl both need to a guy further along in their development and KA provides something both of those teams would value. I wouldn't trade Murray or this years 1st in a trade for either guy although I might would consider next years 1st in the deal.

apalisoc_9
05-01-2017, 10:24 AM
I'd rather keep our 1st. And our 1st round pick is what it would take.

Yeah I imagined that's what it's going to take to Sign one of the guys, but I figured with Murray and Bertans the spurs have enough development guys with huge potential.

It's not like Johnson and Hezonja are old though. It's just a matter of.

Are any of them better than a 29th pick like Jordan Bell?...yeah why not.

MaNu4Tres
05-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Yeah I imagined that's what it's going to take to Sign one of the guys, but I figured with Murray and Bertans the spurs have enough development guys with huge potential.

It's not like Johnson and Hezonja are old though. It's just a matter of.

Are any of them better than a 29th pick like Jordan Bell?...yeah why not.

I wouldn't do it. Young players who have regressed in 2nd and 3rd years give me the wrong vibe. It's a red flag to me.

Plus, I'd rather have a guy Spurs have done extensive research on right out of the draft to develop and work with for the next 4-5 years on a cheap rookie deal instead of trading the 1st for a rookie w/ red flags with 1-2 yrs left on their rookie deal.

SAGirl
05-01-2017, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't do it. Young players who have regressed in 2nd and 3rd years give me the wrong vibe. It's a red flag to me.

Plus, I'd rather have a guy Spurs have done extensive research on right out of the draft to develop and work with for the next 4-5 years on a cheap rookie deal instead of trading the 1st for a rookie w/ red flags with 1-2 yrs left on their rookie deal.
Good points.
I really haven't dipped to look at draft guys at Spurs range, though I look at the think tank here or there.
I got the same vibe you do. Both regressed... Orlando is a fire dumpster but Hezonja lost minutes and he didn't look that good when he did play, so it was tough to make an argument he needed to play more. Stanley has defensive chops and those are probably there to stay and maybe he can do something eventually about the rest of his game... still I am not crazy about either guy tbh

-21-
05-01-2017, 03:10 PM
Mario is a better shooter but Johnson is a better defender, both young guns are worth a look if available. I prefer Stanley though as it is harder to teach defense than to fix a shot. Although Mario isn't a bad defender and is also worth a look if Simmons signs elsewhere and Manu retires.

OT but do you know what's up with Paras? Saw his name in the news the other day but didn't bother to look it up.

TD 21
05-01-2017, 04:35 PM
- The Spurs were linked to Johnsons a year ago.

- Hezonja was a lottery pick who was described as a good shooter by virtually all scouts. Eye test also shows you that he has a quick trigger. However he's % is discouraging but I find it hard to believe that a guy with a trigger like that can't shoot above 36 in a gpd environment.

- Both Hezonja and Johnson are physically Gifted. They have strong bodies.

- Hezonja has had some inpressive defensive games but some bad ones. Could it be the environment he is playing.

- Johnson was utilized as a 3 and D guy but he's shooting has been pretty average..below average and his release speed is below average but he's a very competent defender.

- This isn't a random thread. The Spurs need to reshuffle the deck in the wing positions. Possibly let go of Simmons and trade Kyle. Johnson was linked to San Antonio by Zach Lowe.

- Both Johnson and Hezonja have lost their places in their respective teams. The way they were treated last year seems like they would be happy to get a 2nd rounder for them.

-

I said it a while ago, so this isn't prisoner of the moment talk regarding Parker, but third wing is the biggest hole on the roster going forward. Not only is the wing depth poor in a traditional sense, but it limits their ability to go small and that's compounded by the immobility of the bigs.

As underwhelming as Hezonja and Johnson have been, there's not a snowballs chance that either team would give up a 5th and 8th pick respectively, 2 years after drafting them, for a 59th pick. They wouldn't even do it for the 29th pick.

The MLE probably goes to either Dedmon or failing that, another center (Baynes, Reed), which leaves the LLE for an underwhelming wing (Carter, Meeks). Competent 2 way wings are hot commodities and there's a scarcity of them, so barring an Aldridge trade, this piece will probably need to be drafted and developed.

MaNu4Tres
05-01-2017, 05:21 PM
I said it a while ago, so this isn't prisoner of the moment talk regarding Parker, but third wing is the biggest hole on the roster going forward. Not only is the wing depth poor in a traditional sense, but it limits their ability to go small and that's compounded by the immobility of the bigs.

As underwhelming as Hezonja and Johnson have been, there's not a snowballs chance that either team would give up a 5th and 8th pick respectively, 2 years after drafting them, for a 59th pick. They wouldn't even do it for the 29th pick.

The MLE probably goes to either Dedmon or failing that, another center (Baynes, Reed), which leaves the LLE for an underwhelming wing (Carter, Meeks). Competent 2 way wings are hot commodities and there's a scarcity of them, so barring an Aldridge trade, this piece will probably need to be drafted and developed.

Which is why I'd flip Anderson ( we know his ceiling isn't enough) for a high 2nd ( Orlando?) and use the pick to develop Wesley Iwundu.

8FOR!3
05-01-2017, 05:32 PM
Hezonja is a really good athlete and a 6'8 two guard. If it takes Kyle AND a first round pick I'd do it. I don't think we can feel that need with #29 unless we're in love with one of the Oregon guys. Caleb Swanigan is on a lot of mocks for us and he'd be more of a luxury than anything imo, I think I'd rather have Hezonja and losing Kyle to me is addition by subtraction bc he doesn't fit with the bench. Manu and Simmons aren't knockdown shooters so it kills Kyle's value to us imo.

TD 21
05-01-2017, 05:57 PM
Which is why I'd flip Anderson ( we know his ceiling isn't enough) for a high 2nd ( Orlando?) and use the pick to develop Wesley Iwundu.

I'd do that, then draft a big and a wing, but I don't see it happening.

They like Anderson and I suspect they view his situation as follows: 3 years of development poured into him, extension won't be expensive, should pair well with Bertans, will maintain a semblance of continuity and have greater opportunity with Ginobili likely retiring, Simmons possibly being replaced by Hanga and probably the LLE as greatest resource to add third wing.

MaNu4Tres
05-01-2017, 06:29 PM
I'd do that, then draft a big and a wing, but I don't see it happening.

They like Anderson and I suspect they view his situation as follows: 3 years of development poured into him, extension won't be expensive, should pair well with Bertans, will maintain a semblance of continuity and have greater opportunity with Ginobili likely retiring, Simmons possibly being replaced by Hanga and probably the LLE as greatest resource to add third wing.

Or how about this Hypothetical?

Spurs trade 29th for their 33rd and 35th pick?

Keep Kyle and draft DJ Wilson or Jordan Bell with one and Josh Hart/ Iwundu with the other?

HarlemHeat37
05-01-2017, 06:31 PM
:vomit::vomit: Hezonja..

apalisoc_9
05-01-2017, 06:36 PM

Keep Kyle and draft DJ Wilson or Jordan Bell with one and Josh Hart/ Iwundu with the other?

You know I've always wondered why I don't see trade downs that often. Consdering how players progress, like Would it not make sense for 22rd to trade it for 29 and 45?

That's three cheap players. You Can develop one in Europe, develop one in the D-league and have one in your team.

Maybe I'm missing something though.

apalisoc_9
05-01-2017, 06:37 PM
Like how much of a talent difference is 22 from 29?

All of these players drafter in the 20's have legit question marks anyway.

Chinook
05-01-2017, 06:38 PM

Yeah, seriously.

apalisoc_9
05-01-2017, 06:40 PM
Yeah, seriously.

Like in what context though? Magic games?

I mean he does have certain skill sets that can be maginified in a better team. Probably developed.

Chinook
05-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Like in what context though? Magic games?

I mean he does have certain skill sets that can be maginified in a better team. Probably developed.

Dude's a POS and has never shown the game to justify it.

apalisoc_9
05-01-2017, 06:51 PM
Dude's a POS and has never shown the game to justify it.

He's been a POS with the magics. Sure.

But rookies that put into terrible situation never ever develops.

He could be bad, but it's extremely difficult to Judge young players in terrible environments..

sasaint
05-01-2017, 06:52 PM

It depends more on the draft class than the number or even range (" in the 20's"). Bennett at #1?!?!?!

BackHome
This draft has some great bigs and Gasol is old and Deadmon who knows what he is going to do. I like trading back and I would go for SG/F Iwundu, and for Defense mobile center Yurtseven. I still want to bring Hanga over and am OK with moving Simmons and Forbes.

MaNu4Tres

I really like DJ Wilson and Jordan Bell though, tbh. Those are the two bigs I like most from 20-45. I like Pasecniks too.

Chinook
05-01-2017, 07:01 PM
He's been a POS with the magics. Sure.

But rookies that put into terrible situation never ever develops.

He could be bad, but it's extremely difficult to Judge young players in terrible environments..

Dude was apparently a shitty person long before that. Teams don't make players cancers.

south side spur
05-01-2017, 07:18 PM
Dude was apparently a shitty person long before that. Teams don't make players cancers.

Did you read something in an article? Just curious because everything Vogel has said about him is that he has a great work ethic and does everything they ask of him.

SAGirl
05-01-2017, 07:31 PM
grass is greener syndrome... happens often here.

south side spur
05-01-2017, 07:49 PM
He'd be an improvement over Box of rocks Simmons and he's 5 years younger.

outmap
05-01-2017, 10:55 PM
OT but do you know what's up with Paras? Saw his name in the news the other day but didn't bother to look it up.

OT
Got impatient with the minutes he's getting at Creighton, he's trying to find a school that will give him the minutes he wants. The kid is good but has that Lonzo Ball kind of vibe in him, wish he'd get better (attitude-wise), the talent and potential is there, mentality is key to his development imho.

TD 21
05-02-2017, 03:48 PM

That's good too, but remember, that list that was leaked was with Hennigan in charge. If they go outside the organization for his replacement, who knows what the plan will be? Even if they did still have interest in Anderson, with 25, 33 and 35, they'd have to really like a specific player and be concerned about his being scooped up, to package 2 for 1.

It's the type of trade the Spurs need to look at though, since they need as much quality youth as possible.

palangi
05-02-2017, 11:28 PM
Did you read something in an article? Just curious because everything Vogel has said about him is that he has a great work ethic and does everything they ask of him.

I wouldn't worry about Chinook here. He is threatened by this conversation because it could hurt Green. He has told us he is irreplaceable and a top role player in the league. Chinook know the money side of basketball but is terrible with the talent side.