PDA

View Full Version : Lowe: Rockets in 6

Amuseddaysleeper
05-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Hard to argue with him, tbh:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19283344/zach-lowe-houston-rockets-vs-san-antonio-spurs-preview-nba-playoffs

coachmac87
05-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Cliff jumper

Robz4000
05-01-2017, 01:09 PM
While reading it I kinda got the feel he was leaning Spurs, then I got to the end and he picked the Rockets. Not sure what changed his mind between writing that and making his final prediction.

spursistan
05-01-2017, 01:12 PM
Posted it in the prediction thread..

coachmac87
05-01-2017, 01:23 PM
While reading it I kinda got the feel he was leaning Spurs, then I got to the end and he picked the Rockets. Not sure what changed his mind between writing that and making his final prediction.

Spurs are stale and Rockets are the NEW toy. It seems like in the media everybody's mind says Spurs but heart says Rockets..

Lowe did predict Spurs wouldn't win 50 games before the season...so he's been a bit off when it comes to the Spurs this year lol

Seventyniner
05-01-2017, 01:27 PM

I think he was waffling between Spurs in 7 and Rockets in 6, the two most likely outcomes imo. He just happened to go the other way.

spursistan
05-01-2017, 01:33 PM
The part of the column "Can Aldridge get buckets?" says it all. This series should be about SA eventually winning with a "star power" edge..

If your second best player-- a former All Star who, a year ago, was a threat to blowup for 30+ points-- becomes the sort of guy you wouldn't be shocked wit his multiple 12pts/5 rebs statline in 40 minutes during series, then the Spurs essentially have no major advantages that traditionally tilt playoff series unless Leonard completely outshines Harden..

When it comes to the "depth/system" combo, Houston's > Spurs'.. IMO.. ..

Sure, the Memphis series probably helped to shake them out of the late season slumber, but I think it was more reflection of Spurs' vulnerabilities..If you told me Parker was going to have that type of series he's just had, I would have predicted a Spurs sweep..But it nearly went 7, and that's where we are with this team..

TheDoctor
05-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Spurs are stale and Rockets are the NEW toy. It seems like in the media everybody's mind says Spurs but heart says Rockets..

Lowe did predict Spurs wouldn't win 50 games before the season...so he's been a bit off when it comes to the Spurs this year lol
More like since leaving Grantland he needs to click-bait-create-controversy tbh. He can't be that moron.

spursistan
05-01-2017, 01:43 PM
This is the most skeptical I have been of a Spurs team since 2009-2011 period and only the second time I'm picking against them in a series outside the 2013 Finals in last 6 years (2012-2016)..Hope they prove me wrong..

coachmac87
05-01-2017, 01:43 PM
The part of the column "Can Aldridge get buckets?" says it all. This series should have been about SA eventually winning with a "star power" edge..

If your second best player-- a former All Star who, a year ago, was a threat to blowup for 30+ points-- becomes the sort of guy you wouldn't be shocked wit his multiple 12pts/5 rebs statline in 40 minutes during series, then the Spurs essentially have no major advantages that traditionally tilt playoff series unless Leonard completely outshines Harden..

Sure, the Memphis series probably helped to shake them out of the late season slumber, but I think it was more reflection of Spurs' vulnerabilities..If you told me Parker was going to have that type of series he's just had, I would have predicted a Spurs sweep..But it nearly went 7, and that's where we are with this team..

Rockets looked flawed against OKC tbh..but it gets ignored because this is a Spurs forum...

Chinook
05-01-2017, 01:48 PM
Lowe has been betting on the Spurs falling off for years now. He was more aggressive this time around, thinking essentially that the Spurs would stealth-tank while the Big Three of GS, CLE and LAC took over. I am pretty disappointed in how dogged his been in the Spurs' demise. The Rockets aren't close on paper.

Chinook
05-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Rockets looked flawed against OKC tbh..but it gets ignored because this is a Spurs forum...

Not to mention the Spurs play better D.

SAGirl
05-01-2017, 02:10 PM
:lmao Lowe... we will enjoy making your prediction look ridiculous :lol

SAGirl
05-01-2017, 02:14 PM
The part of the column "Can Aldridge get buckets?" says it all. This series should have been about SA eventually winning with a "star power" edge..

You have a point in that the Spurs became top heavy the past couple of seasons, ditching depth for star power. They also committed to playing big the entire season... and strengthened their frontcourt while standing pat in the backcourt.

So bottom line, if their frontcourt doesn't dominate... seriously... one has to then consider roster construction for the summer...

urunobili
05-01-2017, 02:47 PM
http://img00.deviantart.net/75be/i/2005/115/7/e/__jump_off_a_cliff___emoticon_by_neek_zique.gif

Budkin
05-01-2017, 02:49 PM
:lmao Lowe... we will enjoy making your prediction look ridiculous :lol

Reminds me of all the Memphis in 6 picks from 2013

Dex
05-01-2017, 02:50 PM
Not impossible. Rockets are a volatile bunch, and the Spurs offense wasn't great against Memphis at times.

I'd venture to guess its 75% chance Spurs advance, 25% Rockets. Could go either way really.

HarlemHeat37
05-01-2017, 03:16 PM
It's a toss-up series, tbh, especially considering the high variance of Houston's game..Zach Lowe is a good analyst, but his predictions have been mostly horrible since 2013:lol

apalisoc_9
05-01-2017, 03:17 PM
I Have the spurs in 5, but anyone who values offensive explosion more than anything else would tend to lean towards the rockets here.

Carnage&Mayhem
05-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Lowe has been a bit bearish on the Spurs this year for valid reasons I think. No one expected Kawhi to ball out like he did and given Tony's performance last year it looked clear that he'd end up being a net negative overall, LMA was a bit of a question mark as well. Defense was a concern considering the new personnel and Timmy D's departure.

The fact that Kawhi was the only guy that showed up first round aside from the last 2 games has created some heavy recency bias among alot of NBA Analysts and writers, however no one is really talking about how good of a 7 Seed Memphis is and how their matchup with us was problematic. If Conley and Gasol weren't injured for extended periods of time like they were in the regular season, I believe they would've been a slot or two higher.

I got the Spurs winning in 5 or 6. We went 3-1 with them in the Regular season, winning and losing on basically 1 possession. I think that carries over, like Lowe said, we are the best at running guys off the 3 line and a top five in keeping the 3FG% low. The Pick and Roll will hurt us no doubt, but shit the Rox shot 28% from 3 in the OKC series. They have a high variance because they can get hot and that 28% could go to 40% any given night, but the lack of consistency will be their downfall. At least when we playing like shit we remain consistent defensively and if worst comes to worst, let Kawhi cook, the dude is playing unreal right now.

spursistan
05-01-2017, 03:30 PM
It's a toss-up series, tbh, especially considering the high variance of Houston's game..Zach Lowe is a good analyst, but his predictions have been mostly horrible since 2013
:lol

Spurs-doubtery in the postseason is becoming a sort of a cottage industry lately, and I can't blame its practitioners, tbh...The last two playoffs flamouts weren't a good look.

Kawhi aside, there are just no "givens" for this team on nightly basis: Our starting PG could go from 16 pts/5 assists to 0 pts/1Ast performance and we wouldn't be shocked; our shooters seems to either be 5-7 or 1-9 type of guys, a bunch of regular season gimmick players (Simmons, Anderson, Pau and Manu rtc. etc..) becoming totally unplayable either because of game-planning or general uptick in intensity/physical play in the postseason (Pop, Aldridge and on, on etc..)

HarlemHeat37
05-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Spurs-doubtery in the postseason is becoming a sort of a cottage industry lately, and I can't blame its practitioners, tbh...The last two playoffs flamouts weren't a good look.

Kawhi aside, there are just no "givens" for this team on nightly basis: Our starting PG could go from 16 pts/5 assists to 0 pts/1Ast and we wouldn't be shocked; our shooters seems to either be 5-7 or 1-9 type of guys, a bunch of regular season gimmick players (Simmons, Anderson, Pau and Manu rtc. etc..) becoming totally unplayable either because of game-planning or general uptick in intensity/physical play in the postseason and on ..on..

Lowe doesn't have any bias towards the Spurs, nor do I think he's necessarily doubting them, he just has a poor track record of predicting anything Spurs-related..he picked the Spurs to beat OKC in last year's playoffs IIRC..he also predicted that the Spurs would take step back in the standings both this year and last year..

And ya, I've been saying that all year, the Spurs don't deserve the benefit of the doubt from anybody..they haven't won a relevant series since 2014..

mclinejr
05-01-2017, 03:35 PM
Reminds me of all the Memphis in 6 picks from 2013

Or the backdoor sweep predictions from this year.

BatManu20
05-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Spurs in 7, maaaybe 6. But I think it's going to be a long, tough, drawn-out series. Could just as easily lose. Houston's offense is no joke. So much depends on Tony.

NameLess Scrub
05-01-2017, 04:21 PM
I agree Rox in 6. Whatever flaws the Rockets might have will get covered by officiating.

This board will be a collective puke yard once you see the kind of calls Harden will get.

Mr. Body
05-01-2017, 04:32 PM
He was completely wrong about how good the Spurs would be this year.

Dex
05-01-2017, 04:37 PM
I have a feeling this series is going to be a lot like those Suns series in 2005 and 2007. Will be interesting to see what pace the Spurs play at.

In 2005, the Spurs played run & gun with the Suns and beat them at their own game.

In 2007, they dictated the pace more and turned it into a slug-fest (which I'm sure Nash, of all people, will attest to).

I don't like the idea of trying to outshoot Houston. I think the Spurs need to try to slow the pace, use the shot clock, limit turnovers, and take the Rockets out of their element. Obviously, that is easier said than done.

marinoman
05-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Good, last year he picked us over thunder and said 2 years ago there's no way the clips beat us. Exact quote was "No way" it gave me supreme confidence that series, now I consider him knowledgeable but guessing. Especially since the whole media loves pop

Mr. Body
05-01-2017, 04:47 PM
He has half a dozen reasons the Spurs are better but then picks Houston because Harden is a God?

TD 21
05-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Bullshit Lowe doesn't have any bias towards the Spurs. I say that not because of his prediction (I predicted the same), but because in the past two years, he's probably talked and written about them among the least of any team and the rare times they get brought up by his guests on podcasts, he's dismissive of them and immediately tries to change subjects.

He used to be unbiased, but as his star rose, so too did his connections league wide and the past few years, he clearly began to play favorites with those he's close with (Hawks, Pistons, Warriors, Thunder, Raptors, Jazz) and shun those he's not. He wouldn't be the first and he won't be the last . . .

https://newrepublic.com/article/120572/adrian-wojnarowski-how-basketballs-reporting-machine-gets-his-scoops

itzsoweezee
05-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Not surprising at all. He's a huge Darryl Morey stan. I think the Spurs match up better against Houston than Memphis.

itzsoweezee
05-01-2017, 05:36 PM
He has half a dozen reasons the Spurs are better but then picks Houston because Harden is a God?

Exactly. His goal was definitely to try to talk himself into picking the Rockets.

itzsoweezee
05-01-2017, 05:37 PM
Didn't Lose also pick the Rockets to win it all last year before the season began? Lol. He's not exactly Nostradamus.

Robz4000
05-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Not surprising at all. He's a huge Darryl Morey stan. I think the Spurs match up better against Houston than Memphis.

Agreed, though Houston's plethora of perimeter talent really makes it moot.

Dex
05-01-2017, 05:43 PM

I don't agree with Lowe...but be prepared to get real fucking sick of James Harden over the next two weeks. I already expect to hate him by the end of the series...even if the Spurs prevail.

Joseph Kony
05-01-2017, 05:47 PM
he also predicted the Spurs would fail to reach 50 wins this season so.......

Horse
05-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Hard to argue with him, tbh:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19283344/zach-lowe-houston-rockets-vs-san-antonio-spurs-preview-nba-playoffs
Good don't watch

Horse
05-01-2017, 06:28 PM
It will all come down to how they officiate harden if they let him get away with his bullshit he's impossible to guard. I say slow it down beat them up. And play harden like we played Nash, let him score 40 while the others sit and watch.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-01-2017, 06:57 PM

That was my thought, too. I didn't see much in there about how the Rockets will be able to beat the Spurs other than Harden's ability to undo any strategy taken against him.

I think this will be a tough series, but that article did nothing to support a pro-Rocket argument other than the final prediction.

Down Under
05-01-2017, 07:18 PM
I'm seeing Danny Green as a massive factor in this series. Houston is lazy recovering to shooters and he should get plenty of open looks. He's shot close to 50% from downtown the last 4 postseasons and just come off his first bad postseason series for a while. If he's money throughout the series, Spurs will be tough to beat.

urunobili
05-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Harden is undefeated against the Spurs in the playoffs?